WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gel Coat Loss on Keel

bbrownster

Reaction score
I'm new to this site, but I need some information on gelcoat. I recently purchased a used 30 foot Sleekcraft SSB. I noticed when I pulled the boat out of the water that the gel coat had been rubbed off along the keel. I assume this has been done due to years of beaching the boat on sand bars, etc. I didn't notice the lack of gelcoat when I purchased the boat. Now what you see on the keel is fiberglass resin over plywood. I've owned boats before and beached them but have never seen the complete loss of gel coat. Should the lack of gelcoat be a concern? Is it a big ticket cost to fix? Any information would be helpful.
Thanks.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm new to this site, but I need some information on gelcoat. I recently purchased a used 30 foot Sleekcraft SSB. I noticed when I pulled the boat out of the water that the gel coat had been rubbed off along the keel. I assume this has been done due to years of beaching the boat on sand bars, etc. I didn't notice the lack of gelcoat when I purchased the boat. Now what you see on the keel is fiberglass resin over plywood. I've owned boats before and beached them but have never seen the complete loss of gel coat. Should the lack of gelcoat be a concern? Is it a big ticket cost to fix? Any information would be helpful.
Thanks.

Generally it's a pretty cheap fix.. but I'll admit I've never seen it worn to a point of resin over plywood? Are you sure that's what you are looking at? Usually it just kind of turns black.

Where are you located?

RD

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
scuff up the surrounding area, and put some gelcoat on it to protect it. little wetsand to smooth it out, good as new.

bbrownster

Reaction score
The Boat is located in Lake Havasu. What I am seeing underneath the boat is brown plywood and resin. There isn't any signs of black.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
There shouldn't be plywood in the keel?

Resin has a brownish color to it.

Is there wear into the glass itself? And if for some reason there is ply in the keel,is it exposed,or is the glass/resin still covering it?

bbrownster

Reaction score
The resin just looks sanded down from wear. The glass and resin are still in good shape.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There are several shops in Havasu that can fix this for you reasonably.. I hesitate to throw out a price without seeing it, but I couldn't imagine it being more then 400 - 500 if it's really bad.. 300 if it's not. (assuming white bottom boat)

RD