Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
Kudos on an excellent thread, very interesting stuff. :bowdown:
Suxs, I just came across it. Looking forward to more updates.:thumbsup:thumbsup

RetroBoats

Reaction score
Phone's drowned:thumbsdown

Your right there,liquid sucks for tapeing on,doesn't work worth a shit.Honestly I dont know if just going over it with another release wax will work,you may have to strip it.

Meguires gold mold release.:thumbsupI think its #8

So far I hven't come across any one using it on the boat molds.Some of them are using it for high traffic one color small parts,and like it.

The good guy sales men that know their product will know and tell you tape wont stick up front.
Out of the mold shine on the hull wont mean much if you plan to wetsand and buff the boat anyways. Honestly I never saw a diff. between the two in that dept.

Some how I keep missing this thread. Yes, we use #8 as well, just wondering if there was something better. Did you get your cell dried out yet ??

Last edited:

Dave Wettlaufer

Reaction score

Attachments

• Alien-Boat-Craft.jpg
    Alien-Boat-Craft.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 620

Dave Wettlaufer

Reaction score
...and these.
See, I didn't say anything.:D

Attachments

• alien lb_channel.jpg
    alien lb_channel.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 615
  • aliens.jpg
    aliens.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 620
  • alien tat.jpeg
    alien tat.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,064

Cooperider

Reaction score
Hey Gelcoater, I just want to share a few pics with you to show you that us midwestern guys can shoot some gel too. I've even done some RC stuff for a few guys.

Attachments

• P4270001a.jpg
    P4270001a.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 704
  • P4250005a.jpg
    P4250005a.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 692
  • 2400deckgraphic001.jpg
    2400deckgraphic001.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 708
  • P5010031a.jpg
    P5010031a.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 687
  • P5010030a.jpg
    P5010030a.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 685

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Hey Gelcoater, I just want to share a few pics with you to show you that us midwestern guys can shoot some gel too. I've even done some RC stuff for a few guys.
:thumbsupWhat mfg is the big boat? You should post some more pics,man.

Cooperider

Reaction score
The big boat is a Checkmate.

Attachments

• P9050057a.jpg
    P9050057a.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 630

Cooperider

Reaction score
A nice flag graphic.

Attachments

• flag.jpg
    flag.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 592
  • flag2.jpg
    flag2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 599
  • flag3.jpg
    flag3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 614

Cooperider

Reaction score
Still two steps to go on this one. A stripe that intersects the graphic, and then the side color.

Sort of like the graphics in this boat but the sides are not white.

Attachments

• zt.jpg
    zt.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 585
  • P9050077a.jpg
    P9050077a.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
:thumbsup Hey what a concept,tilt the mold,rather than building up makeshift scaffold boards.You wouldn't believe how many of these west coast builders build a 30 ft V bottom mold just like a 20 ft ski boat mold,with no way to reach the center of the deck,and even standing on boards,stacked on boxes,cant reach the chine on the hull. Then they cant understand why im grouchy they sold a boat with all the graphic down the center of the deck,and along the bottom 3 inches of the hull.:grumble:Then when I tell em i cant reach any of it,they call me a premadona.:fsakes

Cooperider

Reaction score
I haven't really had a deck wide enough to tilt. But the hulls, I've developed a lot of tricks over the years.
Like the yellow on that big hull was actually 2 steps, I don't try to pull good lines in the air like that, too much of a risk for the gel to sag. So I did one side at a time. I tilt it so that one side is almost level with the ground to spray. Gel coat stays put on a horizontal surface, then I flip it to do the other side, covering the first. I've got that hull set up to finish out, all that was left was the white. If I tried that graphic with the hull sitting on the ground, I would get light spots, or sagging lines.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I haven't really had a deck wide enough to tilt. But the hulls, I've developed a lot of tricks over the years.
Like the yellow on that big hull was actually 2 steps, I don't try to pull good lines in the air like that, too much of a risk for the gel to sag. So I did one side at a time. I tilt it so that one side is almost level with the ground to spray. Gel coat stays put on a horizontal surface, then I flip it to do the other side, covering the first. I've got that hull set up to finish out, all that was left was the white. If I tried that graphic with the hull sitting on the ground, I would get light spots, or sagging lines.
:thumbsupI guess we can reach most of the v bottom decks,except some of the 38+footers. The big cats are the worst for reaching center deck,usually resort to going belly down on a 2x12 across the mold pulling tape under me and hoping like hell i dont fall in.:D
Im also hopeing like hell a couple of people(who shall remain nameless) read this section,a view of the real world outside their little bubble.

Cooperider

Reaction score
I'm still amazed at how some out that way, build a hull plug, then flip it to make the deck plug. Make the deck mold, then flip it again to make the hull mold.

Seems like one too many flips to me. But then, the ones I deal with are shoebox fit, not edge to edge.

I've got some print pictures to make some scans of, I'll have some more to post soon. I'd post some new ones but it will be March before I spray anymore around here.

RetroBoats

Reaction score
A nice flag graphic.

That is pretty damn awesome !!! The checked flag flows nicely around the hull.

Curious do know much about Checkmates that were gel coated back in the early 70's ??? I have an old race tunnel that is pretty unique, but can't find anything out about it.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I'm still amazed at how some out that way, build a hull plug, then flip it to make the deck plug. Make the deck mold, then flip it again to make the hull mold.

Seems like one too many flips to me. But then, the ones I deal with are shoebox fit, not edge to edge.

I've got some print pictures to make some scans of, I'll have some more to post soon. I'd post some new ones but it will be March before I spray anymore around here.
Not everyone does it like that.Most i see are one flip less.Hull plug,hull mold,deck plug,deck mold.The hull plugs/molds are much heavier,and take the weight of the deck better than the other way around.I could go on about this,but at that point starting to intrude on some mfg.s trade secrets. And in most cases alot of little plugs and molds for interior/hatch etc.

PS... I dont know about you,but i hate shoebox fit molds,their such a pain,from gel to assy,just a pain.

Cooperider

Reaction score
I've got a whole field full of those shoebox style molds. From 17ft to 26ft. Hopefully soon I'll get to start using them.
Been dealing with those shoeboxes all my life, so I'm aclimated to them. But I am always open to new methods.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I've got a whole field full of those shoebox style molds. From 17ft to 26ft. Hopefully soon I'll get to start using them.
Been dealing with those shoeboxes all my life, so I'm aclimated to them. But I am always open to new methods.
I hope you get to use them all this year:thumbsup

Merry Christmas.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Funny,all that talk about tilting big molds a few weeks back,and now this giant. 0116011706[1].jpg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
0312011413[1].jpg

I helped out our friends at Schiada with a job as their gel guy is having some health issues,get well soon Gene.
So yesterday I tackled the deck of this 43 foot monster w/a 9.6' beam.The simulated windshield was white with a heavy pearl,and a gray pinstripe. The rest of the deck and liner were silver metalic also with a heavy pearl. First shot was a pin stripe then a coat of clear,followed by another clear coat with the pearl,followed by the white,then uncover all the masking. Again a shot of clear,clear with pearl,then silver.Finished around 7 pm,then an hour drive home from LB to Riverside(with a stop at In & Out:D) Nearest i can recall I sprayed over 20 gallons of gelcoat yesterday,2 quarts at a time,and today I feel like I was run over by a truck.
Lee tells me they may pull the hull sometime later this week,so I may have some pics of it to post sometime after.

The guys at Schiada are some talented people,all of the under deck construction such as bathroom walls,birth walls,flooring, etc are being built from scratch! No parts i saw were from existing molds,making this a true custom built boat.All of the nonskid areas in the liner will be replaced with custom wood inlay. There were extensive blueprints of everything,something rarely seen in the custom boat world. This thing should be amazing when done.
Many thanks to the Schiada crew for the oppertunity to be a part of this project.

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Here's a shot before the masking was removed. 0312011129[1].jpg

Cooperider

Reaction score
2 Quarts? You need a bigger pressure pot.

But dang, freaking awesome mold to spray.

Cooperider

Reaction score
Here is a little 17ft Checkmate Sportfire from back in the late '80's. Would have been more pictures from back then, but film and processing was expensive.

Attachments

• Sportfiredecktapeoff.jpg
    Sportfiredecktapeoff.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 449
  • Sportfiredecktapeoff2.jpg
    Sportfiredecktapeoff2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 458
  • Sportfirehullpaint.jpg
    Sportfirehullpaint.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 440
  • Sportfiredeckdone.jpg
    Sportfiredeckdone.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 469

Cooperider

Reaction score
Metal Flake fogged edge. We never really tried this with regular gel coat. But we made up for it with lots of flake ones.

Attachments

• mistandfog001.jpg
    mistandfog001.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 452
  • Starflitehull.jpg
    Starflitehull.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 438

Cooperider

Reaction score
Can't forget all the hot pink and greens and blues from back then.

Attachments

• 185deck.jpg
    185deck.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 416
  • Persuader185IOhullpaint.jpg
    Persuader185IOhullpaint.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 414

Cooperider

Reaction score
This might be backwards to some, but for us it was easier to use a lot of paper, and paint the stripe first. This way if we messed up, we didn't have to blow out anything more than a stripe. Much easier and cheaper than blowing the gel out of a full boat.

Attachments

• cmhull.jpg
    cmhull.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 425
  • cmpaint.jpg
    cmpaint.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 427

Cooperider

Reaction score
Classic tape for a 251 Checkmate Convincor.

Attachments

• Convincor251deck.jpg
    Convincor251deck.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 410

Cooperider

Reaction score
This was originally a five step hull. Bottom, stripe, sides, stripe, then trim. I changed the tape off and made it a three step hull. Bottom, stripes, and then sides and trim together.

It worked great because there was a tiny little style line in the mold where the top stripe is. Big enough that it would keep the stripe from sagging.

Years later when the hulls didn't have this line, it was back to the five steps, otherwise that top stripe could sag and look wavy.

Attachments

• visionhull.jpg
    visionhull.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 447
  • visionhull2.jpg
    visionhull2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 455

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
Great thread. Never noticed it before but I'm most certainly watching now. :thumbsup:

Spot

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Cooperider,you building anything yet this year?

Gotta love those old school hockey stick designs you posted.:thumbsup

Cooperider

Reaction score
Cooperider,you building anything yet this year?

Gotta love those old school hockey stick designs you posted.:thumbsup
Thinking about building one for me, but can't decide on colors. Or if I wan't to get out the polyflake.

I need a color chart and some darts. :D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Thinking about building one for me, but can't decide on colors. Or if I wan't to get out the polyflake.

I need a color chart and some darts. :D
Funny how we can pick colors for someone else but not for ourself?

You should pick a few color combos and post a poll in the lounge.I figure your going to sell it at somepoint,so pick wisely.The combo that wins the poll will be fairly accurate to what the majority of buyers would want I would think,just don't listen to Tom Brown.:D

Cooperider

Reaction score
Yeah, its always been like that. I might put up a poll with some designs for the next one. This one, I'm probably going to see what I got the most of laying around, and go from there.

Although, I'm kind of thinking, maybe just one color, basic Black.

:D

This one had a Mint Green stripe on the deck and hull. A little tweek in photoshop and I'm liking it.

Attachments

• 07_3ab.jpg
    07_3ab.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 426

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Black boats sell in your part of the country?

Around here it takes that 1 in 100 person,with the form over function mentality to get a black unit. They look great,but holy crap they get hot.

Cooperider

Reaction score
Black boats sell in your part of the country?

Around here it takes that 1 in 100 person,with the form over function mentality to get a black unit. They look great,but holy crap they get hot.
I agree, hot as hell. Built more than a few over the years.

I was looking around at what gel I had. I think I'm going to go with a Red base color, a white stripe, then black trim. Nothing fancy, so I'm even going to do some youtube vids of the whole thing.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I agree, hot as hell. Built more than a few over the years.

I was looking around at what gel I had. I think I'm going to go with a Red base color, a white stripe, then black trim. Nothing fancy, so I'm even going to do some youtube vids of the whole thing.
:thumbsupcant wait! This section needs some action.Wish I wasn't so far away,I'd lend a hand.
Ya know,black and white make gray,buy some Ice pearl and some clear,and add some sparkle.With a little planning you could make something great with those colors.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Ok..... So you spray the gel colors onto the mold and then it get's ??????? which makes it bond to the fiberglass layup of the boat :headscratch: