WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gelcoat differences

Rayson1971

Reaction score
I have a 19' mini day cruiser I'm gonna regelcoat. Should I buy the gelcoat with or without the wax. What's the difference and why?

Shortdeck

Reaction score
I no expert by any means but I've repairs miscellaneous chips and beach rash on my boat.
Gel without wax will not cure in a timely manner just being exposed to air. This allows you to make multiple coats. The last coat will need be covered in cellophane and another spray product to fully cure so you can start the sanding and polishing process.
Gel with wax cures without a further need for a sprayable top coat or cellophane. The wax magically floats to the top allowing the gel to cure. If multiple coats are needed, you'll need to remove the wax after the first coat has cured.
Now I could be full of shit..., but that's the basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I no expert by any means but I've repairs miscellaneous chips and beach rash on my boat.
Gel without wax will not cure in a timely manner just being exposed to air. This allows you to make multiple coats. The last coat will need be covered in cellophane and another spray product to fully cure so you can start the sanding and polishing process.
Gel with wax cures without a further need for a sprayable top coat or cellophane. The wax magically floats to the top allowing the gel to cure. If multiple coats are needed, you'll need to remove the wax after the first coat has cured.
Now I could be full of shit..., but that's the basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty close!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I have a 19' mini day cruiser I'm gonna regelcoat. Should I buy the gelcoat with or without the wax. What's the difference and why?
Out of the can gelcoat without wax is air inhibited, meaning it will not cure hard. Is designed this way for secondary bond, Be that more gelcoat or lamination.
For a simple one color regel you want the one with the wax.
Or, you can use regular gel and after it’s gelled up a bit coat it with a water based wax coating.
This will give the gelcoat a surface to dry to, like the cellophane trick described by shortdeck.
The spray on wax provides a superior and consistent surface though.
Leave it over night and the next day wash off the wax with soap and water.
Then you can start sanding to buff.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
I also read that duratec high gloss works good as a thinning agent and also provides a wax to the surface for curing. Any truth to this ? Should I still use gelcoat with wax? Hopefully last question . Thanks

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Seems like it would be an easier process to spray on the wax coating after than buying gel with wax. Then I could also spray more coats . Correct?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Seems like it would be an easier process to spray on the wax coating after than buying gel with wax. Then I could also spray more coats . Correct?
Correct. As long as the wax goes on after the Last coat.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Serious on the pledge? What spray on wax will work or is recommended?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Serious on the pledge? What spray on wax will work or is recommended?
I don’t recommend it. It leaves a bit of an oily thing that actually draws dust.
But, for a boat in a showroom, that gets wiped down a couple times a day,(or after anyone touched it) it does provide a certain glow.