WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gelcoat info Needed

MohavValley

Reaction score
Picked up a project I'm starting to work on and could use some info on the gelcoat as it's got pretty bad rash and a few dings, scratches, and nicks that need to be repaired and i'd like to know some more info on the history of the boat for myself.

So...gelcoter to the courtesy phone please
I was told by the seller ( who didn't have paperwork) it was a 1996 but when I received the registration it came back as a 1994 Team Warlock Inc 27' world class made in Corona, CA. It came with a Hensley engineering trailer and when paperwork came back it was also a 1994... So boat is a 1994.

Also any OC/IE/Ft Mohave/Havasu gelcoter recomendations would be great, and as usual finances are a consideration, as I have yet to tear in to the motor, which was supposedly "rebuilt".

Thanks

The day I picked it up.
IMG_20180124_165540257_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Sorry, can’t help with the history but for gelcoat repairs I’d get in touch with Scott Kornowski or Pedro at Saleen in Lake Havasu.

If you’re looking for somewhere in the Inland Empire I’d get in touch with Pat’s Fiberglass.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
4C207906-4A9C-4E6E-B14E-8962033C2E08.jpeg

The only Gel coat guy and or fiberglass guy I’d ever, and he’s done a lot of little work for me so far, use in the Mohave Co area. Fair priced real honest gives a price before he starts and that’s the price when he finishes

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Rod, at Boat Body Repair . In Havasu

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Picked up a project I'm starting to work on and could use some info on the gelcoat as it's got pretty bad rash and a few dings, scratches, and nicks that need to be repaired and i'd like to know some more info on the history of the boat for myself.

So...gelcoter to the courtesy phone please
I was told by the seller ( who didn't have paperwork) it was a 1996 but when I received the registration it came back as a 1994 Team Warlock Inc 27' world class made in Corona, CA. It came with a Hensley engineering trailer and when paperwork came back it was also a 1994... So boat is a 1994.

Also any OC/IE/Ft Mohave/Havasu gelcoter recomendations would be great, and as usual finances are a consideration, as I have yet to tear in to the motor, which was supposedly "rebuilt".

Thanks

The day I picked it up.
View attachment 621165
Have you looked at the hull number?
Starboard transom;) probably somewhere below the rub rail.

The boat isn't familiar to me, I did a few Warlocks back in about that era but I don't think I did it?

For repairs, if you're willing to drag it out to the IE (Elsinore) take it to Blas at Extreme Boat repair.
He isn't cheap, but he's fair. Does awesome work and meets deadlines.

MohavValley

Reaction score
I do have the hull number and it ends in 94 so yeah it's a 1994.

Any idea what gel they might have used?

Thanks

Last edited:

old rigger

Reaction score
Jim Sullivan was the guy squirting for Warlock back then. He had major skills and along with Jim Pringle (Advantage boats) developed how to do blends and fades in the mold when they were both at Kona back in the 70's. Not a big deal now but at the time it was pretty amazing. Don Kirby was in charge of the fiberglass dept, he'd been around for decades as well and use to have his funny car shop right around the corner from my house back in the day on Clark Ave in Bellflower. I can't remember the name of the guy that did all the interiors, I worked with him at Hawaiian in the 70s, but it was in-house too and he did very good work. I was rigging there at then, Lance was incharge of the rigging dept, but sometime in '94 was when I left. Warlock was at that time owned by a gun manufacturer in Texas.
As far as repairs I still use Orange County Boat Repair in Stanton, I just had them do a few little repairs on a Spectra I picked up last year. Sal and I go back to the 70s.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Jim Sullivan was the guy squirting for Warlock back then. He had major skills and along with Jim Pringle (Advantage boats) developed how to do blends and fades in the mold when they were both at Kona back in the 70's. Not a big deal now but at the time it was pretty amazing. Don Kirby was in charge of the fiberglass dept, he'd been around for decades as well and use to have his funny car shop right around the corner from my house back in the day on Clark Ave in Bellflower. I can't remember the name of the guy that did all the interiors, I worked with him at Hawaiian in the 70s, but it was in-house too and he did very good work. I was rigging there at then, Lance was incharge of the rigging dept, but sometime in '94 was when I left. Warlock was at that time owned by a gun manufacturer in Texas.
As far as repairs I still use Orange County Boat Repair in Stanton, I just had them do a few little repairs on a Spectra I picked up last year. Sal and I go back to the 70s.
Jesus. I have to know you?
I know literally all those guys you mentioned, although, like you can't remember the name of that upholstery guy.
Sullivan working there got Lance to get into Glamis and build that white buggy.
At some point when Lance was doing service at Eliminator I bought 2 quads from him his kids had out grown.
Lots of good memories.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I do have the hull number and it ends in 94 so yeah it's a 1994.

Any idea what gel they might have used?

Thanks
They would have used Lilly, which became Valspar which is now Lilly/Ram.

MohavValley

Reaction score
Thanks Rigger and gelcoater, good info there.

Not sure who did the interior either but they didn't seal the plywood so it's not in good condition and there are a few more than questionable configurations they Mickey moused.

old rigger

Reaction score
Thanks Rigger and gelcoater, good info there.

Not sure who did the interior either but they didn't seal the plywood so it's not in good condition and there are a few more than questionable configurations they Mickey moused.

Makes me wonder if the interior was re-done at some point over the last 20 plus years as all wood was resin coated at the time the thing was built.

old rigger

Reaction score
Jesus. I have to know you?
I know literally all those guys you mentioned, although, like you can't remember the name of that upholstery guy.
Sullivan working there got Lance to get into Glamis and build that white buggy.
At some point when Lance was doing service at Eliminator I bought 2 quads from him his kids had out grown.
Lots of good memories.

I remember Lance restoring a little 17 jet, maybe a Cutlass, it looked just like one of Mr. Weimans hulls. I remember because back in the 70s when I bought my first boat it was a Weiman but an outboard, later of course I worked for his son, Roger. My mom actually grew up with Roger so I already knew him. Howard Brown back in the 60's rented a house from my parents, this was at the exact time he crushed the world record with his blown flattie. Ended up working for him too! My dad then was a rigger for Tahiti which like all the other shops in Bellflower was walking distance from our house. I worked there in the 60s too, first job! Sweeping floors and scooping up dog shit. I was 10.

Also remember Lance was throttle man on the Warlock offshore race boat.

Maybe we crossed paths somewhere?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I remember Lance restoring a little 17 jet, maybe a Cutlass, it looked just like one of Mr. Weimans hulls. I remember because back in the 70s when I bought my first boat it was a Weiman but an outboard, later of course I worked for his son, Roger. My mom actually grew up with Roger so I already knew him. Howard Brown back in the 60's rented a house from my parents, this was at the exact time he crushed the world record with his blown flattie. Ended up working for him too! My dad then was a rigger for Tahiti which like all the other shops in Bellflower was walking distance from our house. I worked there in the 60s too, first job! Sweeping floors and scooping up dog shit. I was 10.

Also remember Lance was throttle man on the Warlock offshore race boat.

Maybe we crossed paths somewhere?
Lol, you ARE old, rigger. :D
You have a good ten on me.
I'd love to hang out with Lance some time and catch up. He'd be amused by the path his kids quads have taken and where they are currently.

Haven't seen Pringle in a long, long time. He was a Glamis addict too at one point.
I see Sullivan often.

MohavValley

Reaction score
DO NOT USE PEDRO AT SALEEN FIBERGLASS!!!

Just got the boat back and this place is a total circus $hit show scam!

Took it there based on RDP recommendations and was quoted $800 to redo the whole keel (after he said it's better to just do the whole thing rather that spot repairing it), $500 to spray out some old graphics above the rub rail, $150 to cut in 2 deck 8" plates in the bildge, which I thought was a good price. ( Was also quoted $1,500 to respray the bildge, and $1,500 to replace the plastic rubrail, which I thought was way over priced so declined the work).

Well that's when the cup game started between Pedro and his office girl Kari who handles the billing and the money. A week after drop off I got the "final quote" which was suppose to include the price to fix 3 to 4 scratches on the chines in addition to the keel, and the other work quoted. Open the email and it says, oh we didn't realize you wanted both sides above the rubrail sprayed out, that'll be twice the priced quoted but since we like you so much we'll discount it to $850. I bitch but take it in the ass and confirm that covers everything, "yep that's everything" despite not noting anything quoted for the couple scratches.

I wait another week, no word and it's Tuesday the week before the 4th, they said 2 weeks time frame and I need to make plans to come pick it up if it's going to be ready, so I call, no answer for 2 days. So it's thrusday and I finally reach Kari and she's out of the office and she'll have Pedro get back to me. Pedro calls 2 hours later, I ask him how's it coming, he says "it's done". I ask him if it's all done, "yes it's all done". I ask him if all the scratches are done and the whole bottom is done, "yes it's done". I tell him ok good I'll be there next week on Tuesday to pick it up. I start making plans to come out from LA to pick it up and I can't make it out until Thrusday, so I text Pedro I can't make it Tuesday, I'll be out thrusday early morning to pick it up.

I get another email Tuesday evening July 3rd, from Kari that there's another additional charge for the "back of the boat" $400 and the couple scratches .$150. I ignore it and go out thrusday morning.

I get to Pedro's and none of the hardware is back on the boat, I get a blanket and get under the boat and guess what? he spot repaired the front and the back of the keel just like he told he wouldn't as it was "better to do they whole thing". So I get Pedro and show it to him and he tells me that I agreed on having the keel done and "the keel is the first 14 feet from the bow", then in later conversations according to pedo "the keel" shrinks down to the "first 10 feet", then it shrinks to "the first 8 feet", then it goes to the "first 6 feet" in later conversations when were arguing them not doing what they said. As soon as he says this I realize this is total bull shit and I've been fucked!!!

The deck plates, where all fucked up, one hole they cut is so out of round the lip of the plate won't even cover it, the fiberglass and recut for the there deck plate they didn't even seal the bottom side of the plywood patch, so now i have unsealed plywood inside the underside of my bildge.

So Pedro didn't do the work he was suppose to instead he spot repaired the keel, then charged me a second time to repair the back of the keel, which I already paid to have the whole keel done, plus the gel he sprayed is so thin I can see the filler they used in some spots.

I argued with both of them to no avail, asked for a cash discount, paid the bill and took my shit and left because I wasn't going to leave it again with these two crooks to Fuck me more.

So AVOID PEDRO AND SALEEN FIBERGLASS THEY ARE F-IN CROOKS, PLAY THE SHELL GAME TO UP CHARGE YOU, AND DO A SHITTY JOB TO TOP IT OFF.

STAY AWAY UNLESS YOU LIKE BEING CHARGED DOUBLE FOR HALF THE WORK PROMISED AND SUBPAR WORK AT THAT.

feel free to contact me if you doubt what I'm saying is true.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
DO NOT USE PEDRO AT SALEEN FIBERGLASS!!!

Just got the boat back and this place is a total circus $hit show scam!

Took it there based on RDP recommendations and was quoted $800 to redo the whole keel (after he said it's better to just do the whole thing rather that spot repairing it), $500 to spray out some old graphics above the rub rail, $150 to cut in 2 deck 8" plates in the bildge, which I thought was a good price. ( Was also quoted $1,500 to respray the bildge, and $1,500 to replace the plastic rubrail, which I thought was way over priced so declined the work).

Well that's when the cup game started between Pedro and his office girl Kari who handles the billing and the money. A week after drop off I got the "final quote" which was suppose to include the price to fix 3 to 4 scratches on the chines in addition to the keel, and the other work quoted. Open the email and it says, oh we didn't realize you wanted both sides above the rubrail sprayed out, that'll be twice the priced quoted but since we like you so much we'll discount it to $850. I bitch but take it in the ass and confirm that covers everything, "yep that's everything" despite not noting anything quoted for the couple scratches.

I wait another week, no word and it's Tuesday the week before the 4th, they said 2 weeks time frame and I need to make plans to come pick it up if it's going to be ready, so I call, no answer for 2 days. So it's thrusday and I finally reach Kari and she's out of the office and she'll have Pedro get back to me. Pedro calls 2 hours later, I ask him how's it coming, he says "it's done". I ask him if it's all done, "yes it's all done". I ask him if all the scratches are done and the whole bottom is done, "yes it's done". I tell him ok good I'll be there next week on Tuesday to pick it up. I start making plans to come out from LA to pick it up and I can't make it out until Thrusday, so I text Pedro I can't make it Tuesday, I'll be out thrusday early morning to pick it up.

I get another email Tuesday evening July 3rd, from Kari that there's another additional charge for the "back of the boat" $400 and the couple scratches .$150. I ignore it and go out thrusday morning.

I get to Pedro's and none of the hardware is back on the boat, I get a blanket and get under the boat and guess what? he spot repaired the front and the back of the keel just like he told he wouldn't as it was "better to do they whole thing". So I get Pedro and show it to him and he tells me that I agreed on having the keel done and "the keel is the first 14 feet from the bow", then in later conversations according to pedo "the keel" shrinks down to the "first 10 feet", then it shrinks to "the first 8 feet", then it goes to the "first 6 feet" in later conversations when were arguing them not doing what they said. As soon as he says this I realize this is total bull shit and I've been fucked!!!

The deck plates, where all fucked up, one hole they cut is so out of round the lip of the plate won't even cover it, the fiberglass and recut for the there deck plate they didn't even seal the bottom side of the plywood patch, so now i have unsealed plywood inside the underside of my bildge.

So Pedro didn't do the work he was suppose to instead he spot repaired the keel, then charged me a second time to repair the back of the keel, which I already paid to have the whole keel done, plus the gel he sprayed is so thin I can see the filler they used in some spots.

I argued with both of them to no avail, asked for a cash discount, paid the bill and took my shit and left because I wasn't going to leave it again with these two crooks to Fuck me more.

So AVOID PEDRO AND SALEEN FIBERGLASS THEY ARE F-IN CROOKS, PLAY THE SHELL GAME TO UP CHARGE YOU, AND DO A SHITTY JOB TO TOP IT OFF.

STAY AWAY UNLESS YOU LIKE BEING CHARGED DOUBLE FOR HALF THE WORK PROMISED AND SUBPAR WORK AT THAT.

feel free to contact me if you doubt what I'm saying is true.

Bummer to hear but 800 to shoot the whole keel right now would have been a screaming deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Bummer to hear but 800 to shoot the whole keel right now would have been a screaming deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep.
I don’t know this Pedro guy, and have no dog in this but the 1500 to do the bilge sounds about right too, depending on exactly what he considers “bilge”. The prep alone would be a day and a half to do it right. Again depending on where the line is drawn on “bilge”.
But. If ya gotta deal with a bunch of bs maybe not.

MohavValley

Reaction score
OTE]

I agree $800 would have been a good price but I paid $1,200 and only got the middle keel spot touched up.

If he wasn't willing to actually do the work for that price then he shouldn't quote that price, he should quote what he actually wants, not what he can fish for once the job is in the door.

I also had to make two trips from SoCal so all in all it wasn't a huge savings over what I was quoted locally plus the whole job didn't get done so I'll be having to get it resprayed again to fix what he didn't so in the end a bunch of headache for very little savings.

Gelcoater, I bought 2 cans bildge coat for $40 so there must be a ton of prep, but either way I'll find out shortly, for $1,400 I'll prep and roll it myself

Dalton

Reaction score
my experience with saleen wasn't great, maybe I had bad luck. they didn't know I had a hydraulic ram, so when they yanked up on the hatch it ripped it out, and didn't bother to just fix it on the spot....or tell me!

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I agree $800 would have been a good price but I paid $1,200 and only got the middle keel spot touched up.

If he wasn't willing to actually do the work for that price then he shouldn't quote that price, he should quote what he actually wants, not what he can fish for once the job is in the door.

I also had to make two trips from SoCal so all in all it wasn't a huge savings over what I was quoted locally plus the whole job didn't get done so I'll be having to get it resprayed again to fix what he didn't so in the end a bunch of headache for very little savings.

Gelcoater, I bought 2 cans bildge coat for $40 so there must be a ton of prep, but either way I'll find out shortly, for $1,400 I'll prep and roll it myself
When you say bilge coat, exactly what is it? What brand? What’s in it?
What’s on your bilge now?
You could be brewing up a big batch of Oh Fuck.:mad:
Lol.

MohavValley

Reaction score
When you say bilge coat, exactly what is it? What brand? What’s in it?
What’s on your bilge now?
You could be brewing up a big batch of Oh Fuck.:mad:
Lol.
Thanks for looking out!
I'm sure it's just paint in there now not gel, I'm planning on painting it with interlux bildgekote. Seen more than a handful of guys on offshore only paint there bildges with this stuff and have great results.

https://interlux.com/en/us/boat-paint/topcoat-finish/bilgekote

I could use a good source to get wet/color sand paper in OC?

Thanks

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Thanks for looking out!
I'm sure it's just paint in there now not gel, I'm planning on painting it with interlux bildgekote. Seen more than a handful of guys on offshore only paint there bildges with this stuff and have great results.

https://interlux.com/en/us/boat-paint/topcoat-finish/bilgekote

I could use a good source to get wet/color sand paper in OC?

Thanks
Perhaps Coast Airbrush in Anaheim?
Really, it doesn’t matter where you get it, but what you get.
You get 3M, or you will cuss and curse a lot and wish you had. Lol.

MohavValley

Reaction score
I was under the boat this weekend and thought I share what a "keel repair" at Saleen Fiberglass looks like so you can decide for yourself. To Be fair the front and back look good but here's the middle.

IMG_20180719_152729615.jpg
IMG_20180719_152755534.jpg
IMG_20180719_152749990.jpg

MohavValley

Reaction score
Yep, I was told it's better to repair the whole keel and was quoted $800, then the cup game/ 3 card Monty started. In the end was up charged another $450 to repair the back of the keel/ transom, this is how they delivered it, and I was told the "keel" is only the firstf 6 feet of the rocker when I picked it up!

It's super confusing because that how they tried to run it on me, I'm sure it was on purpose but I'm pretty detailed and tried to stay on their ass to prevent all the bullshit which in the end they still bait and switched me. You can read about it above in post 18, long story short YES.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Honestly I saw your post in another thread and looked this up.. I'm taken back by the whole deal. Pedro has always done pretty bad ass shit for me and everyone I know?

If I ask him, is there going to be any surprises here? To me this seems fairly out of character of the shop?

RD

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
The keel is the full lenght. There is no length limit. It's nose to stern. The keel is the backbone of the ship or boat. Wtf.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

MohavValley

Reaction score
f i I ask him, is there going to be any surprises here? To me this seems fairly out of character of the shop?
RD

RD,
If you ask him I seriously doubt he's going to tell you yea I'm lieing to customers and working them over.

Like I said call me, the whole situation is pretty complicated considering all the changes/ stories I was told and how things constantly changed but I've done my best to tell the tale as accurate as possible and I do have invoices stating repair of the keel. My girl was with me for every interaction so I have a witness, I have the emails, texts, and invoices too.

His whole deal is 3 card Monte but it's your boat and a couple grand on the line instead! It was total distraction from the moment I dropped it off until I towed it outta there.

Boats still bring rebuilt so it hasn't been on the water so I have no idea what ferring compound he used or even if it'll hold up. But his good cop/bad cop partner Kari sure got neverous when I made her write down on the final invoice there was a warranty just like Pedro told me there was. In fact she was running around trying to take pictures as I was pulling it out because I made them put what they said it in writting. Total scam shit show!

And you can see how he let it go out of his shop.

Look i got fucked, I'm not looking for him to fix it I'd never let him touch anything I own again, I'm just trying to make sure others don't get fucked and have to pay twice, like I did/will have to.

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The keel is the full lenght. There is no length limit. It's nose to stern. The keel is the backbone of the ship or boat. Wtf.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Agreed.
To me the keel runs from the transom to the bow eye.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
RD,
If you ask him I seriously doubt he's going to tell you yea I'm lieing to customers and working them over.

Like I said call me, the whole situation is pretty complicated considering all the changes/ stories I was told and how things constantly changed but I've done my best to tell the tale as accurate as possible and I do have invoices stating repair of the keel. My girl was with me for every interaction so I have a witness, I have the emails, texts, and invoices too.

His whole deal is 3 card Monte but it's your boat and a couple grand on the line instead! It was total distraction from the moment I dropped it off until I towed it outta there.

Boats still bring rebuilt so it hasn't been on the water so I have no idea what ferring compound he used or even if it'll hold up. But his good cop/bad cop partner Kari sure got neverous when I made her write down on the final invoice there was a warranty just like Pedro told me there was. In fact she was running around trying to take pictures as I was pulling it out because I made them put what they said it in writting. Total scam shit show!

And you can see how he let it go out of his shop.

Look i got fucked, I'm not looking for him to fix it I'd never let him touch anything I own again, I'm just trying to make sure others don't get fucked and have to pay twice, like I did/will have to.
If you want I can give Blas a call to see when he can get you in? Or at least look at it and give a solid quote?
Where you located again?

MohavValley

Reaction score
I appreciate that Larry but I lost my River storage and the whole project is on hold until I can find a house locally that has the storage and workshop I need.

I'm anticipating winding up around Norco and yes I will take you up on that as soon as I get things moved and settled.

Thanks