WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gelcoat striping color change

Mototrig

Reaction score
So what do you do when you find the boat that has the seating you want, the motor you want at the perfect price? Only problem is it has one color that kills it? Is it worth the gelcoat cost?

Been looking for a 21' bow rider performance boat with the 225 hp 3.0 merc for a few years. One finally came up for sale and it's Pink and blue. IMO it's not my first choice in color scheme.

I've never considered gel coating so I don't have the slightest clue what cost is.

Pass or pay the gel coat cost?

Thoughts?

EDIT: Pink stripe removal not the blue

Screenshot_20200808-190007~2.png

Screenshot_20200808-185420~2.png

Last edited:

lenmann

Reaction score
Topside re-gel is currently $10-14k and that's if you de-rig the boat before the work starts. De-rig = pull the interior and pull the motor if you want it done well. Shop rates range from $85-iish in Havasu to $120 per hour in the greater LA area. ALL of the shops are stupid busy right now so finding a bargain isn't likely and getting anything done soon isn't possible.

I have spent the last 9 months trying to get my Schiada into a shop so I am pretty well versed on the current market.

If you can buy the boat at a price that has room for a re-gel then go for it or you could work on getting comfortable with Miami Vice colors. They will be cool again...some day.

Last edited:

Spot

Reaction score
Buy the boat, run it a couple seasons. If the pink is still bugging you, swap it out. I am afraid that gel work may be a little pricey.

Spot

Reaction score
Topside re-gel is currently $10-14k and that's if you de-rig the boat before the work starts. De-rig = pull the interior and pull the motor if you want it done well. Shop rates range from $85-iish in Havasu to $120 per hour in the greater LA area. ALL of the shops are stupid busy right now so finding a bargain isn't likely and getting anything done soon isn't possible.

I have spent the last 9 months trying to get my Schiada into shop so I am pretty ell versed on the current market.

If you can buy the boat at a price that has room for a re-gel then go for it or you could work on getting comfortable with Miami Vice colors. They will be cool again...some day.

What he said, it’s going to be super pricey to get that pink out.

Mototrig

Reaction score
"Miami Vice" LoL
I dig the 80's, and I dig the most of the retro 80's colors.

Wow I didn't know gel coating was so expensive.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
I did it on mine was not as intricate as yours, color change in Gelcoat was a few grand. Removed blue stripes and changed to gray pearl on mine.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
So what do you do when you find the boat that has the seating you want, the motor you want at the perfect price? Only problem is it has one color that kills it? Is it worth the gelcoat cost?

Been looking for a 21' bow rider performance boat with the 225 hp 3.0 merc for a few years. One finally came up for sale and it's Pink and blue. IMO it's not my first choice in color scheme.

I've never considered gel coating so I don't have the slightest clue what cost is.

Pass or pay the gel coat cost?

Thoughts?

EDIT: Pink stripe removal not the blue

View attachment 908769
View attachment 908770
I’d run it as is and never think twice. 👍

gqchris

Reaction score
Cant help you with the gel. But I can tell you I have the same boat. Great family cruiser. What kind of Jack Plate is on it? Mines at WOT tight now getting a bobs put on to replace the Quicksilver Paralift crap that was on it.

IMG_3105.JPG

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I was trying to be careful with my words. Everyone has different taste, I didn't want to shit on anyone's boat or color choices. Your boat looks great BTW
Thank you, I get shit all the time for the colors, in 1995 it was cool...

Mototrig

Reaction score
Cant help you with the gel. But I can tell you I have the same boat. Great family cruiser. What kind of Jack Plate is on it? Mines at WOT tight now getting a bobs put on to replace the Quicksilver Paralift crap that was on it.

View attachment 908820

My wife wanted a boat with more freeboard for the kiddos. This Essex seems to have everything I'm looking for. Your boat looks sharp and interior looks great.
I'm going to look at the boat in person hopefully Tuesday. How does yours handle the chop?

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I was quoted ~$6k from Saleen in Havasu for something very similar. This was a year or two ago though.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Ok. So I have a question. Why not paint? It seems every high end east coast boat gets a paint job, not gel. Wouldn’t paint actually be cheaper, and give you tons more options as to who is able to do it ?

PS. I’ve seen 30 y/o Skaters that were painted and still perfect.

gqchris

Reaction score
My wife wanted a boat with more freeboard for the kiddos. This Essex seems to have everything I'm looking for. Your boat looks sharp and interior looks great.
I'm going to look at the boat in person hopefully Tuesday. How does yours handle the chop?

Awesome, yes the Outboard makes it super roomy inside. It is why I picked mine up also. Thanks for the compliments!

Well, the chop, it is what it is. Its ALOT better than my Baker 19' obviously and it manages fairly well, but its not a wave crusher by any means. You get tossed around in Havasu in the afternoon in the main basins. But, it is a solid well built hull and certainly is not a deal breaker in my opinion.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Ok. So I have a question. Why not paint? It seems every high end east coast boat gets a paint job, not gel. Wouldn’t paint actually be cheaper, and give you tons more options as to who is able to do it ?

PS. I’ve seen 30 y/o Skaters that were painted and still perfect.
Just paint It.

This might be an option for me.

I know a guy who custom painted his truck and boat to match back in the early 90's. iirc he had sold it about 13 years later and it still looked brand new.

I would imagine it would have to be a polyurethane base paint so it would flex with the composite of the boat.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Awesome, yes the Outboard makes it super roomy inside. It is why I picked mine up also. Thanks for the compliments!

Well, the chop, it is what it is. Its ALOT better than my Baker 19' obviously and it manages fairly well, but its not a wave crusher by any means. You get tossed around in Havasu in the afternoon in the main basins. But, it is a solid well built hull and certainly is not a deal breaker in my opinion.

Baker's are great. The mod VP is my favorite hull but not for me at this point in my life with 3 kids LoL. We were originally looking for a Stoker 20.4 but after seeing how low the freeboard is with my kids in the back it just didn't seem safe.

We steer clear of the lake due to the large crowds. We like the upper river from Topoc to Bullhead. The only chop I'm used to lately is near pirates.

gqchris

Reaction score
Baker's are great. The mod VP is my favorite hull but not for me at this point in my life with 3 kids LoL. We were originally looking for a Stoker 20.4 but after seeing how low the freeboard is with my kids in the back it just didn't seem safe.

We steer clear of the lake due to the large crowds. We like the upper river from Topoc to Bullhead. The only chop I'm used to lately is near pirates.

Yea love the Baker. I agree not for 3 kid!.

You will really like the room in the Essex. And for river chop, does great. Just make sure to look at the jackplate and that its operational. Since not many of these were made with outboards, you depend on the Jackplate to raise the motor to tow because the transom does not have a cutout. Mine went bad last trip and I almost had to drag the motor down the road. Just keep an eye and test the jackplate multiple times.