WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gen-Y Executive Fifth Wheel to Gooseneck Coupler

Cdog

Reaction score
Seems there are two choices to go with. The Gen-Y which I really like & the Reece Goosebox. The Reece has an air bag in it which I dont like and is Lippert approved. I'm out of my 1 year Lippert warranty anyway. Gen-Y says they are in process for approval by Lippert.

Lot's of good comments from guys online with either Gooseneck conversion.

Any of you gone this route over a typical 5th wheel hitch? I'm tired of F'in around with this big ass Reese Slider in the back of my truck. I have never had to use the slider anyway.

I'm working with a guy here. he's starting a Gen-Y account. I'll fill in the blanks when it's official so y'all can hit him up.

1620919907997.png

yz450mm

Reaction score
I'm interested in this. The bed rails on the new GM trucks are a little bit taller than they used to be, so I've already hit the bed on both sides with the new trailer. I need about an inch of additional clearance between the bed and trailer, but the hitch is all the way up and the pin box is all the way down. If this could get me a little bit of height, I'd be in. I still have 2.5 years on the Dutchmen structural warranty though, so it would have to be approved before I did it.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
What are the benefits of converting a 5w to a gooseneck? Seems you are transferring a lot of the load carrying capacity from a 5w pin and hitch plate to a little hitch ball.

If it was that awesome to do, you'd see semi's with goosenecks.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I just bought a new fifth wheel earlier this week and am going with the Reece Goosebox. Going with the ReeceFor the warranty and I don't mind the airbag. Should be picking up the trailer next week, I'll have feedback then.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
What are the benefits of converting a 5w to a gooseneck? Seems you are transferring a lot of the load carrying capacity from a 5w pin and hitch plate to a little hitch ball.

For me it's because all 3 of our trucks already have gooseneck hitches for our horse trailers, then add the ability to just turn the ball over and have the whole bed available for use without having to remove the heavy 5th wheel hitch. And that "little hitch ball" is normally rated for 30k pounds. So my 12k pound 5th wheel doesn't come close to the limits of the ball.

Cdog

Reaction score

If it was that awesome to do, you'd see semi's with goosenecks.

Goose is rated for 30k lbs. Way more heavy duty than a 5th hitch. A traditional GN has a rigid contact between the truck which is great for control and feel while towing. The down side is it's tough on the 5th wheel chassis.

The Gen Y and Goosebox fix that with the torsion spring on the GY or the air bag on the Reece GB.

Cdog

Reaction score
I'm interested in this. The bed rails on the new GM trucks are a little bit taller than they used to be, so I've already hit the bed on both sides with the new trailer. I need about an inch of additional clearance between the bed and trailer, but the hitch is all the way up and the pin box is all the way down. If this could get me a little bit of height, I'd be in. I still have 2.5 years on the Dutchmen structural warranty though, so it would have to be approved before I did it.

I'm stock height now but plan to add 37's over the next couple of months so I know your concern. There are several height ball receivers for the gooseneck ball that should get you the clearance youre looking for.

I had the chance to see the Gen-y in person at Rowley White in Mesa and I was impressed with the quality of it.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Goose is rated for 30k lbs. Way more heavy duty than a 5th hitch. A traditional GN has a rigid contact between the truck which is great for control and feel while towing. The down side is it's tough on the 5th wheel chassis.

The Gen Y and Goosebox fix that with the torsion spring on the GY or the air bag on the Reece GB.

I believe you can get 30K rated 5w hitch platforms as well... So it really seems its more about truck bed usability when not towing. But if you're a full time 5w owner/user, when would you really want the whole truck bed since its just a tow platform?

I can certainly see for the weekend warrior types they'd like their truck bed back when not towing 99% of the time they use the truck.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My dad put in the Reese Goosebox and loves it. He absolutely loves having an open bed again. He has a 2020 2500 Denali and if you have Bluetooth enabled landing gear on your trailer (or just wireless control in general) and the high mount bed camera, you can hook up almost entirely without getting out of the truck, like a 5th wheel.

He had a Reese slider in his previous trucks and for a little bit in this truck. He has said there is now NO bucking or clunking from the hitch or much added noise into the cab either.