WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gene of Howard Boats

boataholic

Reaction score
I pray this is just a rumor, but I have received two separate calls regarding Gene was in a tragic accident. Does anyone have any insight?

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Prayers sent, that Gene is ok and nothing is wrong.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Gene passed away yesterday. He was washing his boat and slipped from what I was told.

He was a great man, with never ending stories that would make you laugh so hard your eyes would water. I will miss our conversations on the phone and in person.

My heart is broken for his family, and I hope Pam and Mike know if there is anything I can do I will. 😢

Tank

Reaction score
Horrible. Great guy. So much death last couple years.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
How very sad to hear, RIP Gene. I first met him in early 04 when we built our first 25 Bullet. We stayed in touch and in 07 bought my 28. Cindy and I will miss him. We always looked forward to seeing him at the boat shows, Desert Storm and Regattas. When we would go to Havasu without the boat we would call him and stop by on the way, he was always trying to get me to buy a deck boat. Our prayers will be with Mike and Pam, Gene was truly one of the good ones.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
I always think about this as I am stepping down from my boat. Whether I am washing it or just grabbing something from it. What a loss to the performance boat family. Rip

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
God’s speed to him.

Some years ago I stoped at the Backwoods Inn (in Canyon Country) to have a drink at the bar. I got to chatting with the guy next to me and it turned out to be him. At the time, his shop was next to Teague’s in Valencia.

We talked for a couple of hours. Most interesting guy in the world kind of stuff. Never saw him again but the conversation stuck with me.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I heard he’s passed. Son of bitch. I really enjoyed Genes company. He told it like it was. No nonsense. I just did some business with him recently and had a few phone conversations. I can’t believe he’s gone. RIP Gene. 🥲

Reactions: DWC

v6toy4x

Reaction score
He told it like it was. No nonsense.

This is an understatement, when I told him some of our color selections he dropped his head for a moment and then looked me in the eye and said what the **** do you want that color for. He did it in a way that was never confrontational and I enjoyed telling him what color I wanted for the motor just to get his reaction, he did not diss appoint!! it got to the point where I told him "for a guy trying to sell boats you are not doing a very good job!" we laughed and he still told me i didnt know what I was doing! I was really looking forward to our next trip to the shop :(

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I feel for Mike, loosing a father is bad enough but when your business, your business partner, maybe even your best friend, career and income are linked it must feel like the whole world is crashing down at once.

What does a person do to try and help in a situation like that?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Jen and I are so heartbroken over this news...😔😔

RIP Gene, you will be missed by so many.

Screenshot_20211017-121006_Chrome.jpg

Scott E

Reaction score
I wish it wasn't true. The last 3 months have sucked personally with this latest loss.

I was talking with Mike this morning and the word we used to describe his dad was genuine. Gene was a salesman thru-and-thru but he was very genuine and a straight shooter. The boating industry has lost a legend and pillar of the community. Pam has lost a loving husband of 55+ years and Mike has lost his father and his business partner.

Gene, you will be missed and I was honored to call you my friend.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I know my father always had great things to say about gene and always held him in high regard after being in the marine industry his whole life and now owning a Howard boat. Tragic news. Hopefully doing what he loved, taking care of a boat.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Gene passed away yesterday. He was washing his boat and slipped from what I was told.

He was a great man, with never ending stories that would make you laugh so hard your eyes would water. I will miss our conversations on the phone and in person.

My heart is broken for his family, and I hope Pam and Mike know if there is anything I can do I will. 😢

So sorry to read this. I loved talking with him at the gym and really enjoyed his endless jokes and stories.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Years ago I accompanied a friend to Howard Boats In Santa Clarita. Amazing that Gene spent most of an afternoon with my friend touring Howard Boats,he even showed us the molds out back,and then a sit down in Gene office. Time meant nothing that afternoon, Gene talked about their boats and how they were built.At that meeting Gene really empathized the cost of motors was about to increase,major increase. He sure nailed that situation. I will never forget that meeting in that little cubicle in Santa Clarita.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Back when I thought I was going to earn a living as a marine trimmer I hit him up about doing one of his boats. He was going to give me a shot, but back peddled when I told him I worked out of my garage. Said he couldn’t send a customer to a garage to check there job. And he was absolutely right. Went in the showroom on day with a buddy and told him we were just bein nosey and he hung with us and gave us the lowdown on the Shiaward 19.
A great loss to the world in general.

Reactions: DWC

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Sorry to here this. I had the pleasure a couple of times when I was looking for a 22 offshore talking to him. He took the time of day to talk to me like I was buying a new boat.

He was a great guy, my you Rest In Peace.

boatpi

Reaction score
Rip Gene.
I dealt with him many times over the years and insurance claims some of them a little shady, he was always straightforward and honest. some thing I don’t always see in the boat business.

A man of character.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
This is absolutely heartbreaking. Our thoughts are with Pam, Mike, and the rest of the family. We have gotten to know them quite well over the last few of years from when we ordered a boat and built it, to even after taking delivery. He told the wildest stories and would keep us entertained for hours at his shop. He was always full of brutal honesty and not afraid to speak his mind. The boating community has lost a legend. May you Rest In Peace Gene..

hallett3

Reaction score
Wow so sad. He told so many stories to us when my son purchased his deck boat. Such a cool guy. Will be missed. RIP

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
We’ll, that just sucks. Gene knew every boat. We bought our first Howard from Mike, it was on consignment from one of Mike’s friend’s dad. When we picked it up Gene knew it was our first boat and took time to go over the basics like turning on the blower in the engine compartment when starting in the morning, always looking over both shoulders before making any turns, and also when cruising periodically look over your shoulders to see who is around you. Simple little things to make boating safer that I never thought of, but have carried over into my standard boating operation procedure and have instilled it in my boys SOP. I can thank Gene for that. When we bought our 22 Offshore from a private party I called Gene about some info on it and told him who I bought it from, he told me the color scheme, the engine and outdrive. I was impressed.

Rest In Peace Gene, the boating community has lost one of the great founders and contributors of the SoCal boating scene and condolences to his family.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Great guy. Straight shooter. RIP Gene

C Ya

Reaction score
RIP Gene. Like others have said, the boating industry lost a great one yesterday. I became friends with him when we bought our Sportdeck in 2007. He was the one I trusted to be fair with me when we sold the boat in 2016. He was a great storyteller and I remember vividly his story on how he acquired Howard Custom Boats. We never missed an opportunity to have a vodka soda together when he reluctantly came out to Havasu. My prayers go out to Pam and Mike.

Chuck

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Rest in peace to Gene. Prayers to his family. You just don't know when it's your time. That's why we all need to live life to its fullest everyday.

Backlash

Reaction score
RIP Gene. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you Mike and Pam.

parker guy

Reaction score
Rip Gene, a true honest no BS type of business man…so sad

Tank0088

Reaction score
Dang, I just got home from Havasu and I heard about Gene. RIP

Attachments

• B6978CD4-A6EA-4D51-8B57-1134C04292F0.jpeg
    B6978CD4-A6EA-4D51-8B57-1134C04292F0.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 53