WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Get me out of my solar lease

beerrun

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea how to get out of a solar lease? We bought the house 3yrs ago and had the choice of assuming the lease or buying out right for like 35k the math didn't work for us so went with the lease. We had someone show up here one day saying they needed to check the solar system about a year ago wife home alone with the GS we had no clue they were coming guy didn't know our name and wife and the GS were not about to let him in. About 6mo ago we get a letter saying we are in breach of contract please call a number provided so we do and get an answering service say they will call back in 48-72 hrs no call we call again and same thing. Fast forward and I call 5hem and get the answering service and I tell them I will no longer be paying the bill till someone contacts us WOW someone called tell wife they have been trying to contact us for a year wife says that's funny because you send us a bill every month. No further contact from them now for a month they erased my may bill and sent us o zero bill for June wife calls them and they say they can't bill us because we are not generating power but our meter says we are and you have been billing us for the last year that you say we were not generating power. I just want out of this lease is it possible? Thanks for any help and sorry so long

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
PM me your number....Ive helped a couple other inmates out in this department. I fucking hate leasing companies...they poisoned the industry with their crap...much of the reason I got out of it.

There are only a few very specific out's in most contracts...and I know most of them very well. Sorry you are dealing with it.

beerrun

Reaction score
Ok wife says its not a lease its a power purchase program idk what the difference is but I want out

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Ok wife says its not a lease its a power purchase program idk what the difference is but I want out

Same horse different breed...the principle behind it is pretty similar difference being on the PPA there is a true up and you contractually buy every kWh it produces regardless of your consumption..it was a super high commission product when it came out...then its issues came to light. Ill give you call shortly from an 808 number.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I spoke to the OP, kinda a crap situation, The company he's dealing with is a shell of another firm I'm familiar with..on its face it should be something they can come to a solution on..but ill wait to see his docs before putting the cart before the horse.

I've said it a lot on here. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER sign a solar lease or PPA...with very few exceptions. I hate these things, buy it outright or finance with a no fee bank...the leases/ppa's get messy fast.

Your ad here

Reaction score
And people give me crazy looks when I mention this about the solar systems. Price seems to be a wash if you buy it or if it's a lease you have someone else's property bolted to your house. Good luck.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… built my own 22 years ago… So I didn’t have to deal with these issues…

…Been meaning to ask my next-door neighbor whose son’s goal was to never have to pay another electric bill… Been meaning to ask the father if his running his HVAC during this hot weather…(NoHo)…whether he is escaping huge electrical bills???…
…Oh and the son moved…so maybe the father made out and got a free …tied into the grid solar power system???…😳

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I spoke to the OP, kinda a crap situation, The company he's dealing with is a shell of another firm I'm familiar with..on its face it should be something they can come to a solution on..but ill wait to see his docs before putting the cart before the horse.

I've said it a lot on here. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER sign a solar lease or PPA...with very few exceptions. I hate these things, buy it outright or finance with a no fee bank...the leases/ppa's get messy fast.
I just bought a house with a crap lease... but we wanted the house and the seller wouldn't pay it off

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Same with us, we wanted the house, it was a deal so we signed on for the balance of the lease. So far we like it, we pay a flat $225 a month in Havasu year round to run three central AX units, 3 mini splits, all at 75 or lower and the pool, still at $225, cant complain yet. House has nearly doubled in value in the last year so I am good with what we had to do on the lease takeover to get the place.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Ok so here is a kicker for havasu. I bought my solar system this year paid outright and done. But the bonus is they buy the power back at .10 cents per kw. And I signed a 10 year deal at .10 cents. All solar installs after October this year. They buy the power back at .02 cents per kW. Ouch…

And i'll be getting 26% tax credit back on my taxes this year, so that will be a nice chunk on a 8.7kw system.

Last edited:

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I know this is of no help to you but being a lineman every time one of those solar fairies that approaches me I tell them to go get fucked! your using a good thing to con people out of their money.... Scumbags.

I hope you can get out of your lease. 🤞

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
PM me your number....Ive helped a couple other inmates out in this department. I fucking hate leasing companies...they poisoned the industry with their crap...much of the reason I got out of it.

There are only a few very specific out's in most contracts...and I know most of them very well. Sorry you are dealing with it.

You could sell this information!!! I hear this complaint constantly!

boatpi

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this rip off story. That 35K lease.. So I paid 36G to Todays Energy Store in Las Vegas for a massive solar system two years ago, cash. On that I got 6.5% rebate back from NV Energy, and a 26% IRS Solar Tax Credit. My credit was over 10G. So much for a lease scam. I you get help.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
And people give me crazy looks when I mention this about the solar systems. Price seems to be a wash if you buy it or if it's a lease you have someone else's property bolted to your house. Good luck.
This right here is why I don’t have solar. Right about the time I start saving money the warranty is up shit will start needing to be replaced. That Levi will move before then.

I couldn’t beat them so I joined them lol

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I may do some consulting on the side at a later date for this purpose....but im so burnt out on the industry that I really don't want anything to do with it anymore.

I’m so lost on solar and what’s legit here in Texas, I’d pay someone like you to help navigate all the BS to find the right system/provider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
I paid 42k out of pocket for my system about 5-6 years ago, I got at 13k tax credit so after credits I was 29k out of pocket. Electric bills went from over 7k year to 800.00 for last years total bill. System paid for itself in just over 4.5 years. During the last 5-6 years my house has also been MUCH more comfortable with the ac running than it ever has.
My daughter bought a house late last year that had one of these bogus leases that she had to assume or not get the house.

nowski

Reaction score
Question: What happens to the panels if your able to get out of a lease?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Question: What happens to the panels if your able to get out of a lease?

Manufacturer warranties apply, and are in-tact.. regardless of the leasing companies scare tactics...the downfall is usually leasing systems did not use the cream of the crop so to speak when it came to equipment. Repairs are far less frequent than the leasing sales people would make you think...

We usually refer to these systems as "orphans" bc the pump em and dump em lease companies disappear from the market and the local installers service the warranties in the end..

The only PPA I didn't think was awful was a "prepaid" version that Sunrun did in hawaii around 8 years ago. The local banks would write the loan just like they would for solar to do a lump sum payment. It worked out very close to what a purchase deal would if a buyer qualified for the fed (30%) and local 25% incentive. If they didn't qualify for those credits the Pre-paid was actually an epic deal (if I remember right it was within $1k net cost), and you weren't responsible for crap. It was a 20yr PPA, with a $1 end of term buyout. Those deals were short lived though...likely wasn't enough profit in them to justify it.

Last edited:

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
So I assume when someone purchases a house with one of these leases they have to sign a new lease agreement? Or a no sale?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
So I assume when someone purchases a house with one of these leases they have to sign a new lease agreement? Or a no sale?

3 choices... 1. Agree to terms, qualify and sign to take over, Buyout the "value" of the lease which is inflated, 3. no sale.

In a normal RE market, homes with leased solar are worth less than a home without. It's a liability against the home.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Ace are you familiar with this lease company?
My daughter is on the 20 year PPA deal also.

1626367970972.png
1626367970972.png

gqchris

Reaction score
3 choices... 1. Agree to terms, qualify and sign to take over, Buyout the "value" of the lease which is inflated, 3. no sale.

In a normal RE market, homes with leased solar are worth less than a home without. It's a liability against the home.
I wonder how rich some of these shady Solar Companies got with all these shitty lease deals. Seems like fortunes were made and people taken advantage of.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I wonder how rich some of these shady Solar Companies got with all these shitty lease deals. Seems like fortunes were made and people taken advantage of.

The installers often time just got paid for for their work....these systems were bought by these companies as investment vehicles...the real money is in solar leasing and financing...not sales and installation.

DLC

Reaction score
My brother lives in Central coast about 3-4 years ago, ok maybe 5 years, he signed up and had solar installed the company didn’t get it signed off before the last net metering expired…. He has all communication ( e mails)

it has be sitting on his roof not operating not approved from the city, although completely installed and labeled etc
i think it was sun power, sun country ( I can’t remember) one of the big name companies a few years ago, I think they are out of business or shut down now

what can he do?
Call for an inspection and get it turned on?
take off all the equipment set it on the curb and send an e mail for pick up?

no one really wants to mess with it or touch it….

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
Would like to know why so many are against the PPA? I get that it is probably a PITA when selling the home but-

I have a 20 year fixed price of $0.20 per kWh and have to buy everything it produces, currently it produces about 2/3 of my requirement. SCE charges $0.23, $0.59 & $0.74 respectively for tier 1, 2 & 3. I am never above tier one with the extra power needed from SCE, without this I would be in tier 3. I estimate I save about $1,200-$1,400 a year by having this. Once the 20 years is up, I can have them take it off at their expense. Original agreement was with Solar City which is now Tesla. I signed the contract in 2014 and cannot see any downside to this?

Am I missing something or are there other shady PPA agreements out there?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Would like to know why so many are against the PPA? I get that it is probably a PITA when selling the home but-

I have a 20 year fixed price of $0.20 per kWh and have to buy everything it produces, currently it produces about 2/3 of my requirement. SCE charges $0.23, $0.59 & $0.74 respectively for tier 1, 2 & 3. I am never above tier one with the extra power needed from SCE, without this I would be in tier 3. I estimate I save about $1,200-$1,400 a year by having this. Once the 20 years is up, I can have them take it off at their expense. Original agreement was with Solar City which is now Tesla. I signed the contract in 2014 and cannot see any downside to this?

Am I missing something or are there other shady PPA agreements out there?

There are a ton of PPA companies.... Do you have an escalator clause in that deal? at $0.20 A LOT of commission was made on that deal (then again I've seen them higher with 2.9 escalators..). They aren't going to take it off at the end of it...it just doesn't happen...you will have the option to do a year to year deal with them, buy it out to appraised value, or tell them pull it and you can fund the replacement of your roof.

What you have works for you specifically...but in most peoples cases a PPA is a raw deal.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
My brother lives in Central coast about 3-4 years ago, ok maybe 5 years, he signed up and had solar installed the company didn’t get it signed off before the last net metering expired…. He has all communication ( e mails)

it has be sitting on his roof not operating not approved from the city, although completely installed and labeled etc
i think it was sun power, sun country ( I can’t remember) one of the big name companies a few years ago, I think they are out of business or shut down now

what can he do?
Call for an inspection and get it turned on?
take off all the equipment set it on the curb and send an e mail for pick up?

no one really wants to mess with it or touch it….

It won't be Sunpower...they just don't operate that way. He needs to figure out who owns it and call them...maybe send a letter demanding a fix...did he ever pay anything on it? theres a few cases like this in NV that I know of...it got messy. It should have never went up without all permits etc done.

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
There are a ton of PPA companies.... Do you have an escalator clause in that deal? at $0.20 A LOT of commission was made on that deal (then again I've seen them higher with 2.9 escalators..). They aren't going to take it off at the end of it...it just doesn't happen...you will have the option to do a year to year deal with them, buy it out to appraised value, or tell them pull it and you can fund the replacement of your roof.

What you have works for you specifically...but in most peoples cases a PPA is a raw deal.

No escalator clause in mine. Probably should've bought it outright but didn't have the money at the time and figured the technology might be outdated by 2034. Contract states clearly that they will remove an restore my roof to it's original state when contract over, but I know how that goes. I think I can buy it out mid contract, I should probably consider that.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
It won't be Sunpower...they just don't operate that way. He needs to figure out who owns it and call them...maybe send a letter demanding a fix...did he ever pay anything on it? theres a few cases like this in NV that I know of...it got messy. It should have never went up without all permits etc done.
Speaking of which Ace i got a few questions on my lease from SunPower. If you could pm me and talk that would be sweet thanks

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Don't have solar, but this thread is interesting. What happens if you just stop paying it? Disconnect it from your house?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Don't have solar, but this thread is interesting. What happens if you just stop paying it? Disconnect it from your house?

It can go a few different ways..lockout on electrical is usually first, then collection, lawsuit, and depending on if you have an actual lien or ucc filing against it, it can get worse. Defaults are very rare.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I may do some consulting on the side at a later date for this purpose....but im so burnt out on the industry that I really don't want anything to do with it anymore.

I know the feeling. I think we will be seeing some changes in this economy. There may be some great opportunities ahead.

77charger

Reaction score
I know this is of no help to you but being a lineman every time one of those solar fairies that approaches me I tell them to go get fucked! your using a good thing to con people out of their money.... Scumbags.

I hope you can get out of your lease. 🤞
I hate the solar sales guys they all come on saying there from a power company then claim that meters are faulty and can they look. They never want to take no as an answer and continue to say is free or little money.

I just say nothing is free there’s a catch no thanks you are wasting your time with me.and have to just say leave I’m done.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I hate the solar sales guys they all come on saying there from a power company then claim that meters are faulty and can they look. They never want to take no as an answer and continue to say is free or little money.

I just say nothing is free there’s a catch no thanks you are wasting your time with me.and have to just say leave I’m done.

depending on where are there are some stiff penalties for claiming to be with the utility company, it was a huge no-no here in Texas to even mention the utility company during discussions. What you are describing is a lot of why I hate what the solar industry has become....chances are those reps are from a handful of Utah or AZ solar companies with wide reach...

Your ad here

Reaction score

I get them from time to time and they are usually advertising as a package of a bunch of shit until I call them out, "solar sale?". I usually tell them a fib. Selling this house in a year and not interested as solar makes the sale hard, I know from trying to buy a few houses with solar. Or my electric bill is on average $100 a month and I don't see the monthly solar payment being any less than that. Last week I noticed I have a no soliciting sticker on my front door. Next time I'm just saying not interested and be respectful to my no solicitation sign.

77charger

Reaction score
depending on where are there are some stiff penalties for claiming to be with the utility company, it was a huge no-no here in Texas to even mention the utility company during discussions. What you are describing is a lot of why I hate what the solar industry has become....chances are those reps are from a handful of Utah or AZ solar companies with wide reach...
I’m in az too. Last one was a young kid but didn’t claim to be from power company straight up said solar company. Right away after his intro I said not interested I was In garage he then said he’s new at his job and says I must suck at it. I laughed said no you don’t I get the sales often and nothin is free as claimed.

told me he was in school to be small engine mechanic as he saw my 550 and cr500. We ended up talking bikes for a few minutes afterwards I told him I was glad he wasn’t as pushy as other solar guys and I liked that. Now after mentioning I’ll prob get another pushy sales guy soon 🙈

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I’m in az too. Last one was a young kid but didn’t claim to be from power company straight up said solar company. Right away after his intro I said not interested I was In garage he then said he’s new at his job and says I must suck at it. I laughed said no you don’t I get the sales often and nothin is free as claimed.

told me he was in school to be small engine mechanic as he saw my 550 and cr500. We ended up talking bikes for a few minutes afterwards I told him I was glad he wasn’t as pushy as other solar guys and I liked that. Now after mentioning I’ll prob get another pushy sales guy soon 🙈

Anymore they go through a 3 hour boiler plate course in what their company wants them to know (whether is true or not), and are sent straight out to the streets. Those guys are very high turnover...

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
It's really unfortunate because solar technology is awesome but these companies... IMO con the customers almost worse than the utility companies.

Kind of like Tesla dealers not willing to work on their own cars unless it's still under warranty.

These kind of actions are going to burn these industries out. In the long run I think people will see these companies/corporations are only in it for themselves and not willing to hold on to their promises made.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
This thread has become a confirmation of why I am so proud of our company. I could have taken it the hard sale route, but since the beginning that type od saleman has been banned from our company. I say NO to a couple sales a month due to the fact that its not right for the buyer. I wont let my team sell panels on steep north roofs that will never produce close to what they should. In short we only sell at a fair price and if I find a salesman lying to get a sale the salesman is gone.

Its sad because in California you dont need to lie to get a sale, and Duneflyer is a perfect example. LOL he paid for his system, Big system mind you, in four years using simple math. In reality he paid for in in closer to 3, that is if he actually had been paying the bill based on his actual usage. Day after he was installed he began using close to 30% more than he had previous. We planned for it that way and I know he is still smiling about that purchase, why because we still talk.

But then I will get a call from someone who wants a deal, match what this crook promised me and you have a deal. Well, sorry but cant do that. I wont sell you that cheap chinese crap, and my price is real, not the price before change orders. Oh and if you need service, just call and we will take care of it. Maybe not in a day, but we will. When I have a team in your neighborhood we will drop by and do what needs done. Not a month goes by I am not in your area. I have no problem not running to get over because I can see by your monitoring that only 1 of your 24 panels is having difficulty. Something that that Chinese crap can never do for you.

Happy to help those who want to be taken care of fairly. If you want a "deal" just ask the kid knocking on your door, he'll be happy to tell you the story he was prompted to tell. Not trying to be a jerk, but I pay fairly for my services knowing I am dealing with those who know what they are doing. The fact that I make money doing so is the point, if I didnt you wouldnt have someone to call later for service. If I wanted a deal on my service work I would pull in to a quick stop and ask how fast and cheap can we get this done.

Btw thanks to Ace for stepping in, I think we all know what I think of leases and BS loans. I only offer a 12 year or less loan with no fees. Your rate will be determined by your credit, not by the fee I bury into the paperwork.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
This thread has become a confirmation of why I am so proud of our company. I could have taken it the hard sale route, but since the beginning that type od saleman has been banned from our company. I say NO to a couple sales a month due to the fact that its not right for the buyer. I wont let my team sell panels on steep north roofs that will never produce close to what they should. In short we only sell at a fair price and if I find a salesman lying to get a sale the salesman is gone.

Its sad because in California you dont need to lie to get a sale, and Duneflyer is a perfect example. LOL he paid for his system, Big system mind you, in four years using simple math. In reality he paid for in in closer to 3, that is if he actually had been paying the bill based on his actual usage. Day after he was installed he began using close to 30% more than he had previous. We planned for it that way and I know he is still smiling about that purchase, why because we still talk.

But then I will get a call from someone who wants a deal, match what this crook promised me and you have a deal. Well, sorry but cant do that. I wont sell you that cheap chinese crap, and my price is real, not the price before change orders. Oh and if you need service, just call and we will take care of it. Maybe not in a day, but we will. When I have a team in your neighborhood we will drop by and do what needs done. Not a month goes by I am not in your area. I have no problem not running to get over because I can see by your monitoring that only 1 of your 24 panels is having difficulty. Something that that Chinese crap can never do for you.

Happy to help those who want to be taken care of fairly. If you want a "deal" just ask the kid knocking on your door, he'll be happy to tell you the story he was prompted to tell. Not trying to be a jerk, but I pay fairly for my services knowing I am dealing with those who know what they are doing. The fact that I make money doing so is the point, if I didnt you wouldnt have someone to call later for service. If I wanted a deal on my service work I would pull in to a quick stop and ask how fast and cheap can we get this done.

Btw thanks to Ace for stepping in, I think we all know what I think of leases and BS loans. I only offer a 12 year or less loan with no fees. Your rate will be determined by your credit, not by the fee I bury into the paperwork.
And you sir would be precisely the company I would get solar from! Thank you for being upfront and backing your product.