WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Getting on with and LIVING LIFE

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
So.....It seems I am getting to that age that people are starting to pass away more frequently. I am 61 years old now and getting those calls about old friends from years past and current ones that are suddenly gone.

It puts things into perspective and can clear up your thinking about your future and what you want to do or.......You can let it get you down and be afraid for what comes for all of us eventually. As the saying goes nobody gets out alive.

Next week will be one year since my Mother passed. She had 11 children (me being one) and lived to 92. Good thing is I talked to her the day before her passing. I have nothing left unsaid to my Mother and we had a very good relationship. She knew where we stood and I don't have regrets that I shoulda said this or shoulda said that before she passed. I can not say that for other family members and they will carry around a burden for the rest of their lives. RIP Mom

About 3 weeks ago a woman that I had been friends with for a very long time passed after a two month battle with cancer. I knew she was sick early on but I just assumed she would be OK as she was always upbeat no matter what. Then no more contact from her. I told a friend about her being sick and he told me she already passed on. I was shocked to hear that. We had been talking about my trips coming up in the 5th wheel and talked about flying her in for a portion of the trip. Well....that obviously is not going to happen now. She will be missed. RIP Robin

Just the other day I received a message that an old high school buddy was seriously sick and fighting for his life in the hospital. Last I had communicated with him he was recovering from a bad Brown Recluse bite but was getting better from that. What I believe was unrelated shortly after that was that he had a brain hemorrhage and strokes kept coming. The family decided to pull the plug and let the ultimate fight for life take over at that point. He had just decided before this to marry his high school girlfriend and she accepted. He was a retired Marine, tattoo artist, musician and Harley rider. We had recently talked about getting together on my trip if-when I came thru Oregon. We were pretty excited about it and looking forward to getting together. He did live a full life while here it seems. RIP Rori

So.....Just a very personal reminder for me to get out there and LIVE MY LIFE and do things while I still can.

Time is shorter than you can imagine peeps. I would suggest that we all make sure to LIVE LIFE and not just go thru the paces everyday like zombies. Slide head first into home plate with dust flying and come up with a smile on your face :)

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
So.....It seems I am getting to that age that people are starting to pass away more frequently. I am 61 years old now and getting those calls about old friends from years past and current ones that are suddenly gone.

It puts things into perspective and can clear up your thinking about your future and what you want to do or.......You can let it get you down and be afraid for what comes for all of us eventually. As the saying goes nobody gets out alive.

Next week will be one year since my Mother passed. She had 11 children (me being one) and lived to 92. Good thing is I talked to her the day before her passing. I have nothing left unsaid to my Mother and we had a very good relationship. She knew where we stood and I don't have regrets that I shoulda said this or shoulda said that before she passed. I can not say that for other family members and they will carry around a burden for the rest of their lives. RIP Mom

About 3 weeks ago a woman that I had been friends with for a very long time passed after a two month battle with cancer. I knew she was sick early on but I just assumed she would be OK as she was always upbeat no matter what. Then no more contact from her. I told a friend about her being sick and he told me she already passed on. I was shocked to hear that. We had been talking about my trips coming up in the 5th wheel and talked about flying her in for a portion of the trip. Well....that obviously is not going to happen now. She will be missed. RIP Robin

Just the other day I received a message that an old high school buddy was seriously sick and fighting for his life in the hospital. Last I had communicated with him he was recovering from a bad Brown Recluse bite but was getting better from that. What I believe was unrelated shortly after that was that he had a brain hemorrhage and strokes kept coming. The family decided to pull the plug and let the ultimate fight for life take over at that point. He had just decided before this to marry his high school girlfriend and she accepted. He was a retired Marine, tattoo artist, musician and Harley rider. We had recently talked about getting together on my trip if-when I came thru Oregon. We were pretty excited about it and looking forward to getting together. He did live a full life while here it seems. RIP Rori

So.....Just a very personal reminder for me to get out there and LIVE MY LIFE and do things while I still can.

Time is shorter than you can imagine peeps. I would suggest that we all make sure to LIVE LIFE and not just go thru the paces everyday like zombies. Slide head first into home plate with dust flying and come up with a smile on your face :)
Great post! New screen name IGAF?

KevinR

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the deaths of your friends and mother. My condolences.

I understand your position as I’ll be 65 in May. Different stage in life to be certain.

Stellar advice, get after it while you can! Don’t take your health or the health of others for granted!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the deaths of your friends and mother. My condolences.

I understand your position as I’ll be 65 in May. Different stage in life to be certain.

Stellar advice, get after it while you can! Don’t take your health or the health of others for granted!

Thank you. Ya.....some of the stages of life are hard. Have to let a lot of stuff go for sure.

Hammer

Reaction score

Great post Tom. Thank you for the reminder. I get caught up in the rat race myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Great post Tom. Thank you for the reminder. I get caught up in the rat race myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy to do.....you are in that prime rat race age for sure.....

beerrun

Reaction score
My in-laws never spent any money only bought homes for rentals traveled to Washington state once a year never a new car. Mother in law died at 57 father in law at 72 wife and I enjoy life today not going to worry about tomorrow not saying its the right way but its our way if we want something we buy it we eat what we want and travel as much as possible because you just don't know when its going to come

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
We're still pretty young at 38. Lost my mother but luckily no other close friends or family.

We're getting in to the age of divorces... Two couples that we're friends with, one pretty close. Really sucks to see. The couple we're close with we have done some great traveling around from Vegas to around the world. Really bums me out. Makes us appreciate good friendship and our own relationship.

playdeep

Reaction score
As a hospice volunteer...You learn to get it...
FB_IMG_1481472329293.jpg

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Great post Tom.
At 65 there is only one person left in my parents generation and they are falling like flies in mine. I'm beginning to feel like a professional paul bearer. I'm retiring this year and hopefully have a little time left to enjoy myself before my maker calls me home.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Great post Tom.
At 65 there is only one person left in my parents generation and they are falling like flies in mine. I'm beginning to feel like a professional paul bearer. I'm retiring this year and hopefully have a little time left to enjoy myself before my maker calls me home.

You know what you need to do which is go get it! :)

Dana757

Reaction score
Great topic! I think most of us are at the age of going to funerals instead of weddings. I plan to retire early in a few years and travel like you are .... while I still can. People think I'm crazy for wanting to do that. I guess there are 2 types of people, those who are afraid of dying and those who are afraid of not living!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Great topic! I think most of us are at the age of going to funerals instead of weddings. I plan to retire early in a few years and travel like you are .... while I still can. People think I'm crazy for wanting to do that. I guess there are 2 types of people, those who are afraid of dying and those who are afraid of not living!

I hear ya. I usually get two reactions:

1) "Damn I am jealous. I would love to do that but....but...but...." (hear this one constantly)
2) "Let me get this straight. I and the wife are trying to just get thru the day keeping as busy as we can here at home. You SOLD your home and everything else and are just going to just travel around? Aren't you scared of something like.....What if....and what if.....and....and...and...." (this one crackes me up)

F IT. I have always gone my own way regardless. My life my consequences. Plus I am not afraid of mixing it up while other people are just....well....they are just....in a box. Nothing wrong with that as long as they recognize it and don't become regretful and angry. People are free to choose the life they want and that includes me :) My sig line says it all.

Maybe I will see ya on the road someday. Beers on me!

Last edited:

240Hallett

Reaction score
great post... makes me relook at what I am doing.

on a second note. Does DILLIGAF mean something different than the "do I Look like I give a fuck"?
How about “does it look like I give a fuck”.

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
Excellent timing to read something like this. My mother passed away this past August, after a 25 year battle with cancer. She had a standing invite to come over to my house for Sunday dinners, and did so for many years until she just couldn't do it anymore. Fortunately that part of her life did not last too long. When my dad died, she became the oldest living member of our family at 56 years old. She always embraced the YOLO lifestyle, and I thank her for passing that along.

So now, at 58, I am the oldest person in my family, a very different kind of perspective. We have 4 kids, the last one will graduate from college next year. We bought boats and dirt bikes and made sure they knew what living was all about! Funny they all start calling around now to find out when our scheduled river trips are for the summer! My kids used to ask how we could afford the boat and some of the things we did....and all I ever told them is you only live once, tomorrow is not promised, live it up today!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Excellent timing to read something like this. My mother passed away this past August, after a 25 year battle with cancer. She had a standing invite to come over to my house for Sunday dinners, and did so for many years until she just couldn't do it anymore. Fortunately that part of her life did not last too long. When my dad died, she became the oldest living member of our family at 56 years old. She always embraced the YOLO lifestyle, and I thank her for passing that along.

So now, at 58, I am the oldest person in my family, a very different kind of perspective. We have 4 kids, the last one will graduate from college next year. We bought boats and dirt bikes and made sure they knew what living was all about! Funny they all start calling around now to find out when our scheduled river trips are for the summer! My kids used to ask how we could afford the boat and some of the things we did....and all I ever told them is you only live once, tomorrow is not promised, live it up today!

Well said

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I hope to be around a little longer, but just want to say to the younger guys, plan for retirement early, if that's what you want. We tried to plan, but as things worked out didn't retire to Havasu until we were 59 which isn't terrible, but we blinked and it's been 10 years. Where did the time go? Knock on wood we're both fairly healthy and still try to make the best of life.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I said this in another post..
Have fun before you reach an age where you can barely move.
Yesterday is history learn from it, you only have today so enjoy it and hope for a tomorrow.

I always preached that line of living life while you can, and not waiting until you can barely move

at 38 this year I got a left hook thrown my way some random debilitating sciatic/leg/hip pain, and it has really put a dampener on me. I am glad I have lived a good life and made lots of good memories with my wife and kiddos....... but I got a lot more living to do! So I am hoping to get over this hurdle soon, and turn it up a few more notches.

port austin pirate

Reaction score
As Ive said before 79 years old to many family en friends gone now always wish you could see them more than you did, but their memories are with you as long as your around and still smile when you think of the times together, Great post Dilligaf enjoy life as much as you can with family en real friends and dont waste your time on the A-holes its to precious.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
I always preached that line of living life while you can, and not waiting until you can barely move

at 38 this year I got a left hook thrown my way some random debilitating sciatic/leg/hip pain, and it has really put a dampener on me. I am glad I have lived a good life and made lots of good memories with my wife and kiddos....... but I got a lot more living to do! So I am hoping to get over this hurdle soon, and turn it up a few more notches.

I know what you mean, I abused my body when I was young and paying for it now. From age 55 to 65 I had 10-11 surgery's on both knee's, both hands, fingers and shoulder that have slow me down.
The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
64 now, can still deep water slalom, rev limit the Harley, and beat most of the kids at the raquetball center. Average age of death White Males is now 74.5 yrs, reguardless of what your financial planner tells you - stats say very few of us will need money to 92, and you won't know whether you have it or not IF you get there. I'm getting out at 65, going to try and kill the RV with milage. My kids are going to find out what i'm like 24/7 when i do run out, IF that happens. You might be ALIVE a long time, but most of us don't have much longer to live - do what you want, now's the time. Get the boat / rv / lake house, let the kids worry about the balance when you're gone.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
I totally get it. If I had been a Clippers fan, id be trying to hide out too...

Relax. Enjoy. And keep a side eye on those killer dogs when you sleeep.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I totally get it. If I had been a Clippers fan, id be trying to hide out too...

Relax. Enjoy. And keep a side eye on those killer dogs when you sleeep.

HAHA.....Only deal is I never hide....just don't check in....lol

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I have a friend who's a real straight shooter . . . but he's clamped down w/ a wife / 2-kids and a house in south county OC.
Nicest guy in the world, never a bad thing to say about anyone. He works for a privately owned small business and always has this 'specter' hanging over his head that he's gonna come to work one day and get his walking papers. His wife works a tiny little bit, but it's basically to get her out of the house. His kids are golden, and just starting local college. I've tried for YEARS to get him to do a quick 'turnaround trip' to the river . . . Like for example, "Hey man, I'll pick you up at your work when you get off on a friday, you don't gotta bring anything, just your clothes. We'll bolt straight to the river, stay friday night, have fun saturday on the water, party a little saturday night, and do a quick little river session sunday morning and have you back at home sunday afternoon / evening" . . . No Brainer right??? . . . nope, the dude won't budge . . . even his wife says, "Why don't you go"???? . . . I've been asking him to do this since I met him in 2004 . . . . Bums me out, dude's never taken a vacation w/o the kids/ family since I've known him. Nothing against the family program . . . but c'mon !!!

Not Me Mang . . . nooooooo waaayyyy . . . life's to short.

buck35

Reaction score
Just got word a.bit ago a friend and neighbor passed yesterday. :(
He just turned 50. Live life people!

petie6464

Reaction score
Interesting post. I lost my mother three weeks ago @ 93 she passed holding my hand although painful we were both thankful.

@ 59 my clock is winding down, how many good years are left before just age brings thing to a crawl? I would say hopefully fifteen or twenty but maybe I won't see another year, one never knows.

With that being said the last few years have been all about caring for my mother and kinda putting mine on hold, gladly.

Now it's time to continue on with mine, trying to find joy in the little things and looking for the good in each day. One step I took several months ago was to stop watching any news on television that in combination with stopping all news feeds I can and things that come in I simply delete and do not watch. It's amazing how not getting caught up in the sales of bad news really eliminates stress, its just not necessary.

Other than that I'm good with whatever comes my way, I've been very fortunate and done many things, if I was to drop dead tomorrow I'm ok with it, I know where I'm going.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Interesting post. I lost my mother three weeks ago @ 93 she passed holding my hand although painful we were both thankful.

@ 59 my clock is winding down, how many good years are left before just age brings thing to a crawl? I would say hopefully fifteen or twenty but maybe I won't see another year, one never knows.

With that being said the last few years have been all about caring for my mother and kinda putting mine on hold, gladly.

Now it's time to continue on with mine, trying to find joy in the little things and looking for the good in each day. One step I took several months ago was to stop watching any news on television that in combination with stopping all news feeds I can and things that come in I simply delete and do not watch. It's amazing how not getting caught up in the sales of bad news really eliminates stress, its just not necessary.

Other than that I'm good with whatever comes my way, I've been very fortunate and done many things, if I was to drop dead tomorrow I'm ok with it, I know where I'm going.

Good post.

RIP to your Mother