WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Getting pretty good at airplane building.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Can knock a 42” Ringmaster out in a couple hours.
Still need to shape leading edge and tapered trailers, but not bad for 2 hours and 2 whiskeys.
0E434AD7-896D-49C5-81B1-08B9553B6BFC.jpeg
8806B00D-86A1-4910-8BB9-CB87F0BF5FE8.jpeg

TimeBandit

Reaction score
crazy glue has changed the game, when I was a kid that would take a week with "sniffing glue" lol

stingray11

Reaction score
That Wing don't look like it'll create enough lift to haul a human around or did you mean model airplane?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Why does your wrench have a dial on it?

That wing don't look like any Clark Y that I've ever seen!

Taboma

Reaction score
What are you doing with all of them Tommy, seems this is what the 4th one now ? Are you going out by Site 6 on the old airstrip to fly ? Seen guys out there flying them in the past.
Build a boat 😁

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
crazy glue has changed the game, when I was a kid that would take a week with "sniffing glue" lol

It really has.
That’s the number one difference by FAR!
Lol

My arsenal. I use the loctite as a thin cya for instant tacking, then go to the star bond medium for stronger bonds like rib/spar.
But I still use the old Testers wood cement for structural major bonds...or the epoxy.

10CAD817-14A1-4B67-957D-9B3BA47E6F20.jpeg

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
What are you doing with all of them Tommy, seems this is what the 4th one now ? Are you going out by Site 6 on the old airstrip to fly ? Seen guys out there flying them in the past.
Build a boat 😁

Mine are all control line.

Taboma

Reaction score
Mine are all control line.

I remember having a control line one as a kid, the challenge for me was not getting dizzy and falling down. 🤮 For several years my buddy and I were into building and flying RC gliders, until they built homes on all the hills around here. I could fly where I'm at now, but if I lost it, no way I'd wading through that rattle snake infested brush to retrieve it.

rrrr

Reaction score
I remember having a control line one as a kid, the challenge for me was not getting dizzy and falling down. 🤮 For several years my buddy and I were into building and flying RC gliders, until they built homes on all the hills around here. I could fly where I'm at now, but if I lost it, no way I'd wading through that rattle snake infested brush to retrieve it.

Me and a buddy would launch our gliders on the mesa in Albuquerque with with 100' of surgical tubing, then lay on the hood of the car leaning on the windshield and catch thermals.

The gliders would go so high they would be out of sight, then we would put them in a slight roll and pitch down until they came back down to 100'-200', and do it all over again.

Fun times for sure.

Taboma

Reaction score
Me and a buddy would launch our gliders on the mesa in Albuquerque with with 100' of surgical tubing, then lay on the hood of the car leaning on the windshield and catch thermals.

The gliders would go so high they would be out of sight, then we would put them in a slight roll and pitch down until they came back down to 100'-200', and do it all over again.

Fun times for sure.

I recall getting run off a 'Members Only" golf course using that sling shot launching technique. My buddy's dad, who was a well known member was NOT amused. 😂

bocco

Reaction score
I used to have fun building and flying Lil Satans. What are you covering the wings with?

AzMandella

Reaction score
I used to have fun building and flying Lil Satans. What are you covering the wings with?
Carl Goldberg models were the best when I was a kid . Nowadays Monokote for covering is the best . But I think Tommy still might like the small enclosed room with a couple bottles of Dope and some silkspan . LOL

2Driver

Reaction score
In Astoria OR they sell gliders for a $1 at the bottom of the Column. People walk up to the top and throw them off. There are gliders all over the place. I thought it was pretty cool idea.

F73F2AA0-FF45-4457-A120-617F982BD7E5.jpeg

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I use monokote for the wings.
This one I’m going h to monokote the wing but dope and seal all the solid parts.
Monokote is great stuff.

The last one I monokoted the solid pieces as well.

EDBC1345-E99A-4EF0-BE0E-31B3AA31FDBF.jpeg
560D7EC0-104C-4DF3-A8D1-B0C868428352.jpeg
779C98F3-BEB0-47D1-978A-1B0D51CEF6B8.jpeg
42F9BCDA-8F18-450F-BEE6-35036AA9E1E8.jpeg
77074B1F-0C36-4BDA-A18D-AD9D16494403.jpeg
2613A48E-965E-4FB9-AC7A-251DB7B74B6F.jpeg
3D292B66-410E-4B34-AE89-A3EBC3B444EF.jpeg
90CF1026-01CF-4E7F-9D97-B0E8B736DA7A.jpeg
7B047F32-D5FF-4353-9DE4-0F7548EEB921.jpeg
3A2CAA49-FDDD-4BE6-BE77-825039D0B7AC.jpeg
F5926608-CCA8-46D0-A1ED-78A120F54EF8.jpeg

AzMandella

Reaction score
From the looks of the size of the plane I'm guessing you are running a 35 in it .

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
From the looks of the size of the plane I'm guessing you are running a 35 in it .

Yeah.
I’ve picked up some cool vintage Fox 35’s on eBay.

On the one that’s finished I have a Fox .35 Stunter. Had to order the 29% castor fuel for that one.

I also have a standard Fox .35 for this one I’m building now.

I’ve test ran both of them and they are good to go.

That’s a 10” prop.

70F1A740-CB74-41AF-BABA-668B54C17700.jpeg
42E09870-CBEA-411E-BC5D-CCD4F12C991F.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike K

Reaction score
Very cool ! I built a ringmaster jr with a Fox 15 way back in the day ... took forever to build ... and was way hard to fly cuz of my beginner skills ... geez ... that first flight after all those hours of building ...
View attachment 905296 View attachment 905297
[/QUOTE]

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Very cool thread Tommy.
Once we get moved and settled down next year this is something I want to do again. I had the old control wire trainer as a kid, the blue and yellow one that had the rubber bands that held the wings on? Remember that? Cox 049...boy...memories...Also had a red car that ran on a string line with one of those. It was all swoopy designed and looked cool with the big ole prop in the back.
I had an elementary school about a block from my boyhood home, all the kids considered the wide open asphalt playground our personal neighborhood proving ground. On any summer day there were kids flying their planes, riding their bikes and such. I had that dang car running pretty good, propped it for top speed and had the string about 200 ft long. Even had a local cop stop one day, thought we were in trouble but he wanted to see the propeller car, LOL. I got cocky and let it rip one day without checking the string after 3 runs, it got loose and ran into a backstop wide open.
She never ran again.
Good times tho. Good times.
If they still made that plastic control wire trainer I think I'd have to grab one...for the grandkids, right?
I need to go look around..

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Very cool thread Tommy.
Once we get moved and settled down next year this is something I want to do again. I had the old control wire trainer as a kid, the blue and yellow one that had the rubber bands that held the wings on? Remember that? Cox 049...boy...memories...Also had a red car that ran on a string line with one of those. It was all swoopy designed and looked cool with the big ole prop in the back.
I had an elementary school about a block from my boyhood home, all the kids considered the wide open asphalt playground our personal neighborhood proving ground. On any summer day there were kids flying their planes, riding their bikes and such. I had that dang car running pretty good, propped it for top speed and had the string about 200 ft long. Even had a local cop stop one day, thought we were in trouble but he wanted to see the propeller car, LOL. I got cocky and let it rip one day without checking the string after 3 runs, it got loose and ran into a backstop wide open.
She never ran again.
If they still made that plastic control wire trainer I think I'd have to grab one...for the grandkids, right?

You can find vintage stuff on eBay and places.

The ringmasters are in reproduction by different guys. The kits vary somewhat from the original Sterling’s. But all are based on that design. Laser cut pieces and kits vary with how much stuff they come with.
This one I’m building is a “Vintage Performance” kit based on Matt Kanias ringmaster knockoff.
I prefer the last one I built (guy in Iowa has a Cnc laser and program and is cutting them out). It had a floating bellcrank designed into it and some other really nice touches like tapered active wing area instead of tapered trailing edges. Plus the leading edge was pre-rounded which is a big deal on a 42” 1/2” lead.
On this one I’m building I’m going to definitely engineer a floating bellcrank assembly. No way I’d fly a .35 full size Stunter with a plate and bolt mounted bellcrank.

Cox sold out a decade ago apparently.
They are called “Cox international” now and are in reality some guy and his wife in Canada with the entire Cox warehouse inventory. Cox does not manufacture anything any more so when it’s gone it’s gone.
You can not buy .049 glow heads loose, for instance.
They only come on new engines that they assemble from shelf parts to fill orders.
Now and then you can find glow heads on eBay.
So Brodak is the source for all things control line.
They make replacement heads with glow plugs like any other engine, and the make their own engines as well.
There is an underground following on line with a bunch of old guys from coast to coast that have no lives and still do this shit! Lol

Last edited:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Wow.

I am going to have some catching up to do. The airplane I had was a WWII Navy replica, the wings had rubber bands that held them on, made for simple repairs, LOL. It was blue and yellow. Cox 049 power. Haven't found one looked for a bit on ebay etc. This would been...oh, 1968-70?
I can see myself submerging in this during winter nights.
Actually looking forward to it.
The next year to 18months is gonna be hectic and stressful, but we are focused on the other side of the mountain, literally and figuratively.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Wow.

I am going to have some catching up to do. The airplane I had was a WWII Navy replica, the wings had rubber bands that held them on, made for simple repairs, LOL. It was blue and yellow. Cox 049 power. Haven't found one looked for a bit on ebay etc. This would been...oh, 1968-70?
I can see myself submerging in this during winter nights.
Actually looking forward to it.
The next year to 18months is gonna be hectic and stressful, but we are focused on the other side of the mountain, literally and figuratively.

6 months with no job got me back into it. Lol

But you know what? It’s fun. It’s cheaper by far than RC stuff, and doesn’t require the total geek commitment that RC does.
I’ll probably do an RC boat next, but for RC flying I’ll stick to drones.

cactus jack

Reaction score
Nice to see some controline stuff. I too have a rack of planes. Brodak p-40 w/ la40, a Starfinder with a Magnum 36 and a pipe. All stunt stuff. Oh and Goldberg cosmic wind w/ OS la25. First contest ever with that little guy. Need to get back out flying

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Nice to see some controline stuff. I too have a rack of planes. Brodak p-40 w/ la40, a Starfinder with a Magnum 36 and a pipe. All stunt stuff. Oh and Goldberg cosmic wind w/ OS la25. First contest ever with that little guy. Need to get back out flying

Nice.

Been shopping la25’s. Some of the old timers swear by them.
Look like some good deals with newer engines and I like the rear mounted needle.

rrrr

Reaction score
Nice.

Been shopping la25’s. Some of the old timers swear by them.
Look like some good deals with newer engines and I like the rear mounted needle.

Good thread, Tommy. I've really enjoyed the photos.

Don't forgot to post photos of the planes when you, uh, disassemble them. 😁 😁

Just kiddin'!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Impressive skills for a guy with thumbs of an ogre. :looking:

B1C7B42E-5B8B-4391-9F25-3FF4A41B68F4.jpeg

LOL Just kidding Tommy. Please don’t hunt me down and kill me. 💋

Taboma

Reaction score
Very cool thread Tommy.
She never ran again.

Thimble Drone Prop-Rod --- damn, I'd almost forgotten about that !!!

Just like this one, except mine was blue, way cool !!

thimble-drome-cox-prop-rod-air-car-1.jpg

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Brodak has a lil Satan re-pop kit available.

504C79C0-87CF-42C5-959A-81C880B0F503.png

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Very cool thread Tommy.
She never ran again.
You sure I wasn't in your back pocket or you in mine. As a kid my dad was into this stuff, then let my brother and I get Trainers and a BIG bag of rubber bands. Dad had the swooped back red car with the big prop on the back that was off limits to us. We were allowed to go watch but not participate with anything but our eyes. Though it never did run into a backstop. Our personal test area was just a couple 100 yards away, our primary school. I think I spent 98% of my life on the school grounds in the summer.
Dad thought he had a MC koy (sp) 35 clamped down in the garage one day but found out after it whacked my bother in the head it wasn't. I don't remember the outcome but brother is still alive with all his faculties. My brother and I used to be the "tuggers" for a couple of older guys on our block. The school was also an airport the the gliders and Mark and I used to pull them big ol' surgical bands across the playing fields for the gliders, that was a blast.
Hard to tell kids now days how much fun we had back then!!!! 😁 😁

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Thimble Drone Prop-Rod --- damn, I'd almost forgotten about that !!!

Just like this one, except mine was blue, way cool !!

View attachment 905709

THATS IT!!!

I want it. LOL. Thanks for giving me a pic to go with my memory. My older cousin got that car with $ from his paper route, and trsaded it to me for a beach cruiser bike I found in a dumpster and fixed up. He needed it for the paper route. A couple years later I wound up with the bike back and the paper route. Long Beach Independent Press Telegram.

Boatdoc55...

Well...if you hung out at Clara Barton Elementary School proving grounds in north Long Beach...there is a possibility. LOL I spent the first 17 years of my life in that neighborhood.
You are right...we had a great childhood before the lawyers came along who told us we couldnt ride in the back of a pickup, couldn't ride our bikes without helmets, shouldn't drink water out of the garden hose, and all the other horseshit that has contributed to the downfall of society.
Can you imagine the pages of warnings and releases and BS that would have to accompany that car if a manufacturer wanted to try to sell it today?

Remember inventing the BMX bike when we took the high rise handlebars off of our Sting Rays and bolted dirt bike bars on them, and a single seat?
It was a great time to be a kid.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
THATS IT!!!

I want it. LOL. Thanks for giving me a pic to go with my memory. My older cousin got that car with $ from his paper route, and trsaded it to me for a beach cruiser bike I found in a dumpster and fixed up. He needed it for the paper route. A couple years later I wound up with the bike back and the paper route. Long Beach Independent Press Telegram.

Boatdoc55...

Well...if you hung out at Clara Barton Elementary School proving grounds in north Long Beach...there is a possibility. LOL I spent the first 17 years of my life in that neighborhood.
You are right...we had a great childhood before the lawyers came along who told us we couldnt ride in the back of a pickup, couldn't ride our bikes without helmets, shouldn't drink water out of the garden hose, and all the other horseshit that has contributed to the downfall of society.
Can you imagine the pages of warnings and releases and BS that would have to accompany that car if a manufacturer wanted to try to sell it today?

Remember inventing the BMX bike when we took the high rise handlebars off of our Sting Rays and bolted dirt bike bars on them, and a single seat?

9DEAF68A-FE0A-45FA-9124-CE1C0F906105.png
ACC3C04A-2FFF-4BB8-929A-777B009EAD2E.jpeg

6B3BE43D-976C-4090-8EEF-8EA2D9B603C9.png

Mhemperly

Reaction score
That’s awesome! Looks like great work!
Such a cool Hobby! I have been into this for over 20 years on and off (when I have time) here is my current toy. It’s an ARF. I haven’t built anything from scratch in a long time.
8D1A0020-7113-49F9-B1AA-A11410299F63.jpeg

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That’s awesome! Looks like great work!
Such a cool Hobby! I have been into this for over 20 years on and off (when I have time) here is my current toy. It’s an ARF. I haven’t built anything from scratch in a long time.
View attachment 905758

Nice!
Sliding guide and flaps?
Way outa my league!

Mhemperly

Reaction score
Nice!
Sliding guide and flaps?
Way outa my league!

traditional setup except the control surfaces are over sized for 3D aerobatics. It’s made by precision aerobatics. They make some good stuff. Really light and all electric. I got away from the nitro stuff just because it’s easier. Fly it and put it away... no clean up haha.

when I was a kid I use to travel around with my dad flying r/c turbines. I see if I can find a pic of one of my old ones.
Mike

F563DF75-1AF1-4617-BAB4-6DD36693DBA7.jpeg

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The 80's, Chit Tommy that was the 60's!!!! The 80's I was working my ass off on fricken boats!!!!!

Lol
Yeah it was the 70’s for me.
By 1981I had a wife, kid, and was building race cars for $7.00 an hour.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
THATS IT!!!

Boatdoc55...

Nope, I hung out in the City of Orange. Watched the Newport freeway being built and playing on all the heavy equipment they used after the workers went home for the day. What a life for a kid. There was a big, huge world there in Orange County and we kids ruled it. There must have been 50 of us youngins in our neighbor hood and boy could we find stuff to do just as you said. Orange fights, rabbit hunting right out our un- fenced backyards, forts in every other orange tree, bike rides by at least 15 of us to the old Country store in Villa Park for penny candy!! We had it made in the shade back then.

Damn, those were the days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Wow Tommy......I did not know that you were building planes with engines. My FIL in his later years would tinker with the engines. He loved to get them running. He had a case in their house with about 30 engines. We have a china hutch with one item that meant something about a family member that passed. We have one of his engines In it. Don’t know anything about it just that we liked having part of his life still with us.

94211C32-7BC5-4B28-8C7B-B05279BC4D79.jpeg

By the way, did you ever get that table off the ground? If not you might try a bigger engine or a different prop. LOL

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I’m glad you posted this!

I haven’t built planes in 20 some od years. I think my 8 year old is ready to build an 049 control line. Great memories building!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I’m glad you posted this!

I haven’t built planes in 20 some od years. I think my 8 year old is ready to build an 049 control line. Great memories building!

Brodak has a 1/2A flight starter kit with all the gizmos you’ll need to fly .049 planes.
(Like the old Cox kits). It’s got fuel and handle, lines, everything in it.

You should be able to find a solid wing starter plane like a “beginner ringmaster” or similar to get him going very easily!

Brodak makes an .049 engine as well, but you can still buy original cox motors from cox international...while supplies last.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Wow Tommy......I did not know that you were building planes with engines. My FIL in his later years would tinker with the engines. He loved to get them running. He had a case in their house with about 30 engines. We have a china hutch with one item that meant something about a family member that passed. We have one of his engines In it. Don’t know anything about it just that we liked having part of his life still with us.

View attachment 905771

By the way, did you ever get that table off the ground? If not you might try a bigger engine or a different prop. LOL

Looks like a McCoy red head?