WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Getting Ready to Buy A Polaris General

Dirtbag

Reaction score
As the title says we are pretty close to getting a Polaris General. Its nice and roomy inside comes preloaded with almost everything we need but need some help on a few items.

Has anyone used the Polaris Ride Command? Is it worth it?

If Ride Command doesnt work what should i do for a sound and gps system inside? We definitely want the headphones and a decent stereo system. Nothing Like what RiverDave has in his and a GPS navigator for when we get lost in the desert. What system ties all this together. I love RiverDaves setup but we dont need to be that extravagant i dont think.

Also tires. Since mom and pops will be using it on the road grabbing groceries and such around Havasu what is the best tire for the havasu Dirt and street?

To make it street legal does the Half windshield work? What else is needed to be street legal in havasu?

Thanks as always.

Oh and who offers the best deals!!!! registering in AZ

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You don't need a windshield to be street legal. Glasses will work.

Mongrel tires are actually DOT approved. it's rare but I have heard of cops writing tickets for non dot tires.

Polaris ride command will probably work fine for what you want to do, and a roof mounted stereo system like the ssv works one is probably what I would do if I was looking for something simple.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Dave we want sound to come through the headsets as well. Like yours

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Rugged Radios. I'd give them a call and see if they Gabe something that can interact with the factory Polaris system.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Rugged Radios. I'd give them a call and see if they Gabe something that can interact with the factory Polaris system.

I have rugged as well. Great quality and even better customer service. Can't be the price.

Englewood

Reaction score
For Tires - I have had GREAT experience with Tensor Regulators...Everyone we ride with them likes them as well.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I have PCI radios in mine as well as car to car.. (please get that).

Call Kyle at sxsperformance here in Havasu and see what he recommends. they literally sell everything you will need and know how it all interacts with each other.

jesco

Reaction score
Tires: Tensor Regulators
Radios: Rugged
Nav: Im a BIG fan of LeadNav (app on your iPhone) SUPER EASY to use and plan routes. You can plot them on an iPad and send it to your phone (or use the iPad/iPad mini if you want) and to other peoples phone also that have the App via AirDrop. It uses .GPX files so even friends with Garmin or Lowrance can send/receive files also. Just make sure you have the phone on a charger the entire ride, it drains the phone pretty fast otherwise. I use my old iPhone 6, all the phone has on it now is LN app. I plan routes on my iPad pro and AirDrop the file to the phone that morning. No cell service required either, just download stuff while in service area or on wifi if service is shut off to the device (like my old 6).

Ride Command is pretty cool, I tested it for Polaris a few years ago. Haven't seen the newest version though and don't know anybody that has it to comment fairly on it.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I will cast my vote, from my build and experience...

Very pleased with the 15" Method beadlock, however my BFG's are hard and heavy (they have been very durable and reliable but on rocky trails and havasu washes you feel all the bumps. Tensor now makes a tire called the regulator that was previously mentioned here that is dot rated and will be my next set. Anyone that gets a ticket for running a non dot tire should prolly count themselves lucky for not getting a ticket for the real reason they were stopped, or it's possible that the cop really just didn't like your attitude and felt like being a dick.

Rugged radio intercom and car to car radio with voice activated headsets and or push to talk features have been great for us. Been very pleased with products and customer service.

The SSV Works set up has some cool features too with speaker pods and simple set up and I think you can run the audio cable thru an intercom to have your headsets or speaker pods.

EPL

Reaction score
Radios - Rugged
Tires - Tensors

satellitemike

Reaction score
Keep us updated on the purchase and build. I am contemplating the general 4 and it will need the basics like you stated, radio, tires and wheels, lights, and a roof to start.

I have the Mongrels on my RZR1000 and they are OK, I am switching to the Tensors when these are done.

hplavey

AKA JFT
Reaction score
Congrats on the General
I would go with the tensor tires. Make sure you get the proper rim size to the tire size you intend on getting. I have the pci race radios like Dave couldn't be happier. I'm sure you can't go wrong with rugged either. I don't have a gps yet, but most people I know like the iPad with an app. I'm still leaning towards a lorance.

Sandlord

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards getting a General too. please keep us informed of the likes and dislikes of it, thanks

Boat 405

Reaction score
My neighbor at the river has one. Ridden in it several times, It's awesome. He has the half windshield, I think it's the way to go personally, keeps some of the wind and dust out but still good visibility and not the glare compared to a full windshield. I forget what tires he has but they are DOT approved. He ended up getting the shock therapy kit and it rides every bit as nice as a RZR xp 4 1000

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
I don't know much about the General but as far as RZR's go if it can hold a 15" wheel I recommend it to give more clearance to the brake calipers, its easy to jam a rock between the wheel and caliper riding the AZ trails. As far as 15" wheels go I recommend you try to find a 5/2 backset so your scrub radius is proper. anything more then 5/2, (like 4/3) and the scrub radius is off and negatively affects steering feedback and suspension geometry. The problem with 15" wheel is there are only a few 5/2 wheels made. I settled on the KMC Machette which is a 5/2. If you go 14" wheel there is many 5/2 backset wheels to choose from.

As far as tires go I happen to like the Tensor's and they are wearing very good on my RZR. They are a DOT tire and very durable and the tread is such that they are comfortable on the Hwy.

I spent quite a bit of time researching headset systems and settled on PCI mainly due to the fact that their quality and reputation was better in the racing world as well was the same as in my boat. The sound is very good but PCI's microphone and squelch control just seems to work better with wind on the mics.

hope that helps, good luck and hope to see ya on the trails!

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
He ended up getting the shock therapy kit and it rides every bit as nice as a RZR xp 4 1000[/QUOTE said:
Ernie/Justin at Shock Therapy know how to valve and spring these cars and make the most out of the shocks. They did my RZR and it is amazing compared to stock, its like riding on a pillow.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Keep us updated on the purchase and build. I am contemplating the general 4 and it will need the basics like you stated, radio, tires and wheels, lights, and a roof to start.

I have the Mongrels on my RZR1000 and they are OK, I am switching to the Tensors when these are done.

just got a quote from route66 in kingman out the door at 24.4. They want too much. Say they cant keep em in stock...have 5 coming late next week... figure ill take the cash into az west next week and see what they say.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I don't know much about the General but as far as RZR's go if it can hold a 15" wheel I recommend it to give more clearance to the brake calipers, its easy to jam a rock between the wheel and caliper riding the AZ trails. As far as 15" wheels go I recommend you try to find a 5/2 backset so your scrub radius is proper. anything more then 5/2, (like 4/3) and the scrub radius is off and negatively affects steering feedback and suspension geometry. The problem with 15" wheel is there are only a few 5/2 wheels made. I settled on the KMC Machette which is a 5/2. If you go 14" wheel there is many 5/2 backset wheels to choose from.

As far as tires go I happen to like the Tensor's and they are wearing very good on my RZR. They are a DOT tire and very durable and the tread is such that they are comfortable on the Hwy.

I spent quite a bit of time researching headset systems and settled on PCI mainly due to the fact that their quality and reputation was better in the racing world as well was the same as in my boat. The sound is very good but PCI's microphone and squelch control just seems to work better with wind on the mics.

hope that helps, good luck and hope to see ya on the trails!

which setup did you go with on the PCI?

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
which setup did you go with on the PCI?

I got the PCI Supreme w/ Bluetooth and DSP. In retrospect I wish I had not spent the extra $ on the DSP feature, I have found that I don't need to activate the DSP feature since my car has a full windshield. When I activate it the voices sound a little manipulated/mechanical due to the sound processing. When DSP is activated it does remove most of the wind noise effectively so it does what they advertise, the voices just sound a little strange.

The Bluetooth function to stream in music and cell phone works/sounds awesome as the Supreme is true stereo. The only thing I don't like about using Bluetooth is the switching back and forth from the PCI unit when driving to the stereo when at rest, kinda a pain, you can only run one device at a time and the PCI takes a moment to connect to any Bluetooth device. Not sure if Ride Command can run headsets and if so can the headsets and stereo run concurrently from the same Bluetooth device, if so that would be a nice edge to Ride Command.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I got the PCI Supreme w/ Bluetooth and DSP. In retrospect I wish I had not spent the extra $ on the DSP feature, I have found that I don't need to activate the DSP feature since my car has a full windshield. When I activate it the voices sound a little manipulated/mechanical due to the sound processing. When DSP is activated it does remove most of the wind noise effectively so it does what they advertise, the voices just sound a little strange.

The Bluetooth function to stream in music and cell phone works/sounds awesome as the Supreme is true stereo. The only thing I don't like about using Bluetooth is the switching back and forth from the PCI unit when driving to the stereo when at rest, kinda a pain, you can only run one device at a time and the PCI takes a moment to connect to any Bluetooth device. Not sure if Ride Command can run headsets and if so can the headsets and stereo run concurrently from the same Bluetooth device, if so that would be a nice edge to Ride Command.

there is so little information on ride command....it seems awesome...but does it actually work

BajaWarrior

Reaction score
We picked up a 2016 General last August and so far it has been great. Now we only have 26 hours on it so far but no problems. The seats are very comfortable and the ride is good. Plenty of power with a 1000 cc motor.

I put a half windshield in it, rear windshield, roof, mirrors, radiator protector, fuel tank protector, battery protector. Also have a full windshield with vents in it for the winter. The two swap right out with no tools needed.

The street legal kit was installed the day after we purchased it with was at least one mirror, half windshield, and license plate light. Took it to the MVP after we had proof of insurance and registered it AZ.

I purchased an extra set of wheels/tires from a guy on Facebook and mounted a front wheel/tire on the aluminum roof.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1495150378974.jpg
    FB_IMG_1495150378974.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 38

satellitemike

Reaction score

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have the lowrance in my ride. It's not hard to use but like anything you have to play with it to figure it out. Where the lowrance shines is the ability to put 10000 points in it for racing. It took me about a winter to get conformatable using it. I don't use sat maps either. I might switch to those to see if it's any better but I am able to find anything and navigate a fun trail I have mapped out or have been one before

Dirtbag

Reaction score
just curious what factory add ons people would put on. This general4 will only be in havasu...it may go to glamis once every couple years maybe so not worried about that. It will be used to have fun in Havasu and back and forth to grocery store.

Do we need a roof?
I think Im gonna do the half windshield.

This thing comes pretty loaded...

I know we need the pci system and now im leaning towards just using our ipad if we dont go with the lowrance.

Light bars best to go aftermarket?
stereo aftermarket.

what am i missing that you guys in havasu have or wish u had?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Light bars hit up Robert at Safeglow.. you need the roof for sure to keep the sun off you. When you get the headsets please get car to car, makes it so much better when people can talk to each other while they are out riding. That said don't talk in it the whole time like a jack ass. Lol. Stereo..

I'd see what Polaris offers in the way of door bags, or coolers that go in the bed etc.. some of the factory stuff is really cool.

We went out last night, weather is perfect right now.

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
just curious what factory add ons people would put on. This general4 will only be in havasu...it may go to glamis once every couple years maybe so not worried about that. It will be used to have fun in Havasu and back and forth to grocery store.

Do we need a roof?
I think Im gonna do the half windshield.

This thing comes pretty loaded...

I know we need the pci system and now im leaning towards just using our ipad if we dont go with the lowrance.

Light bars best to go aftermarket?
stereo aftermarket.

what am i missing that you guys in havasu have or wish u had?

Endless options outside of the dealership, buy the unit for the price you want and call it good. For the prices of Polaris upgrades and options you can get better quality products and choose your options. If the dealer you buy from offers you accessories or upgrade options for a discount I would get them to throw in a Polaris extended warranty to seal the deal.

Just another thought, if you plan on keeping stock cage... AZ West has a vendor that makes soft tops similar to a boat bimimi that are pretty cool, it's gonna be nice to have some shade. I am not familiar with you stock cage roof options.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Endless options outside of the dealership, buy the unit for the price you want and call it good. For the prices of Polaris upgrades and options you can get better quality products and choose your options. If the dealer you buy from offers you accessories or upgrade options for a discount I would get them to throw in a Polaris extended warranty to seal the deal.

Just another thought, if you plan on keeping stock cage... AZ West has a vendor that makes soft tops similar to a boat bimimi that are pretty cool, it's gonna be nice to have some shade. I am not familiar with you stock cage roof options.

ive been told by the dealers i can get 15 - 20 % off on accessories. I figure the only thing from them id buy is the windshield and the roof? The roof lists for $500....am i better off getting that elsewhere?

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Light bars hit up Robert at Safeglow.. you need the roof for sure to keep the sun off you. When you get the headsets please get car to car, makes it so much better when people can talk to each other while they are out riding. That said don't talk in it the whole time like a jack ass. Lol. Stereo..

I'd see what Polaris offers in the way of door bags, or coolers that go in the bed etc.. some of the factory stuff is really cool.

We went out last night, weather is perfect right now.

will definitely get car to car as well

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I have nothing of value to add other than I love RD's ranger crew. Hehe. Perfect for my family. We're looking at older Rhinos that guys have dumped 30k into. [emoji851]

Dirtbag

Reaction score
His ranger is badass. The great thing about the general is it comes pretty loaded and is actually bigger inside. We wont have to add long travel and all that other crazy stuff.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
So i have spent the last week on the phone with numerous dealers trying for the best deal. I spent all weekend driving to different shops in socal looking for the best deal.

I have concluded that the Side by Side industry is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. Some shops have no idea what they paid for the damn things.

Best price I have Out the Door is $21050.

I have been to one shop who had it on sale for 18999. They gave me the otd price of 21050.
I went to another shop who was advertising for 17999 and they couldnt come close to the otd price of the previous shop. WTF

These guys add in all these costs for shipping(all these things are sent to a central warehouse in chino for all so cal dealers) and then they assemble them. And some of the assembly is shotty at best. So they add shipping and assembly to the cost for like $3000 AFTER the sales price. I mean come the fuck on. How many hrs does it take to assemble one of these? 2 hrs max. at $100 an hour? and charge 1500 for assembly. I understand thats part of the polaris marketing deal to their shops for added revenue but its bullshit. Id wager these guys are buying these at $15k a unit. There is lots of profit in these things im guessing.

Ugh not sure what Im gonna do.....If anyone knows a guy willing to sell one for a good deal im paying cash. And am ready to buy today. Was hoping to have for this weekend. but meh.

glamis0812

Reaction score
So i have spent the last week on the phone with numerous dealers trying for the best deal. I spent all weekend driving to different shops in socal looking for the best deal.

I have concluded that the Side by Side industry is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. Some shops have no idea what they paid for the damn things.

I have been to one shop who had it on sale for 18999. They gave me the otd price of 21050.
I went to another shop who was advertising for 17999 and they couldnt come close to the otd price of the previous shop. WTF

These guys add in all these costs for shipping(all these things are sent to a central warehouse in chino for all so cal dealers) and then they assemble them. And some of the assembly is shotty at best. So they add shipping and assembly to the cost for like $3000 AFTER the sales price. I mean come the fuck on. How many hrs does it take to assemble one of these? 2 hrs max. at $100 an hour? and charge 1500 for assembly. I understand thats part of the polaris marketing deal to their shops for added revenue but its bullshit. Id wager these guys are buying these at $15k a unit. There is lots of profit in these things im guessing.

Ugh not sure what Im gonna do.....If anyone knows a guy willing to sell one for a good deal im paying cash. And am ready to buy today. Was hoping to have for this weekend. but meh.

The purchase is nothing just wait until you start buying parts for it. $$$$$

TCHB

Reaction score

Buy a nice used Jeep!

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Have you tried Coyne Powersports in EL Centro? My father has his best deal from them on a 4 seat 1000. And also doing delivery in AZ so no sales tax and registering it in Montana.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Have you tried Coyne Powersports in EL Centro? My father has his best deal from them on a 4 seat 1000. And also doing delivery in AZ so no sales tax and registering it in Montana.

no but what the hell will call them too

is his deal better than the 21050 i got?

DMF

Reaction score

Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of registering it in Montana?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
no but what the hell will call them too

is his deal better than the 21050 i got?

His was for a RZR if it makes any difference. Not sure on the final price, but like you he called everyone and they were the best price.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of registering it in Montana?

He has a LLC out of Montana and runs his Mohome and other things out of that. Not sure if the RZR was a huge saving on taxes, as new needs to be paid. But registration is cheap and simple.

satellitemike

Reaction score

Not sure if you mentioned which general you were buying, assuming general 4? How did Temecula treat you?

Reaction score
Sorry I am late to the party, We have been in Moab Utah slinging parts and fixing cars.

I dont have a lot of time with the ride command, but the time I do have, not a huge fan. I think the aftermarket still does it better.

Personally I use a ipad with lead nav. Its great, when we did the RDP ride to topock 66 I already had a map so I was able to email to those that didnt right there so we were all on the same trail. and you can take it in the house and plan out your next ride in comfort.

PCI is the only way to go in my opinion. I have the complete set up in the havasu store. Come on down and give it a try before you invest your money. The quality of sound through the headsets its great. Then is you want music while your stopped just get a little sound bar for noise.

Wheels and tires. stay 14". It keeps the cost down and you have more options. The mongrol or the chicane is a great tire for the havasu area. Both DOT approved. Im not a fan of the square edge on the tensor as well as the cost for a name.

If you are in town for memorial day, swing by the store friday. We can look at some options and you can physically put some stuff in your hands to see if you like it.

Kyle

Boat 405

Reaction score

This is what I'm gonna do. I'll have it delivered in my place at the river in Hidden Shores and register it in another state. Coyne seems to have a ton of inventory. I drive by it every trip to the river