WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

GF ripped off by Auto Nation. How would you handle this?

DaveH

Reaction score
So my GF bought a 2018 BMW from AN (they own the BMW dealership here).

the car from the factory has 3 year 36,000mile warranty and covered maintenance.

she purchased an extended or "upgraded" maintenance plan during the time of the purchase of the car.

car has a little over 40k miles on it now.....she took it in for maintenance to which they refused to cover........telling her the extended plan only goes to 36k miles.

So i asked her to get me the original paperwork to look at. of course, there is nothing in there detailing the additional maintenance plan.

however, it clearly states in the purchase agreement paperwork (which she has) the $1500 charge for the maintenance plan, and she has the factory window sticker which details the factory warranty and maintenance.

the dealership just gave here the run around. now i am pissed and wondering what is the best way to handle something of this nature.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Call the GM, most likely the plan did not get processed correctly. One phone call should fix it, you have proof on your contract, the GM should want to help you get this corrected. The service guy should of had her go talk to the finance manager to get it corrected while she was there.

Bear Down

Reaction score
at worse you should be getting back $1500...Not sure how it works on the extended warranty with paying for it and not having it add on to the contract... I would guess they would refund the $ if they goofed and didn't add it in error. I would go speak with Finance manager in person to figure out versus over the phone.

Good luck

Taboma

Reaction score

the car from the factory has 3 year 36,000mile warranty and covered maintenance.

she purchased an extended or "upgraded" maintenance plan during the time of the purchase of the car.

car has a little over 40k miles on it now.....she took it in for maintenance to which they refused to cover........telling her the extended plan only goes to 36k miles.

So i asked her to get me the original paperwork to look at. of course, there is nothing in there detailing the additional maintenance plan.

however, it clearly states in the purchase agreement paperwork (which she has) the $1500 charge for the maintenance plan, and she has the factory window sticker which details the factory warranty and maintenance.

the dealership just gave here the run around. now i am pissed and wondering what is the best way to handle something of this nature.

Looking here ---- https://bmwusaservice.com/ultimatecare

It appears the extended maintenance plans extend from + 1 year with 4/50K coverage out to +4 to 7/125K --- so at a minimum she should have one additional year and 14K more miles.
I'd talk to the sales manager, it appears the extended maintenance didn't get recorded or updated in the system.

Jay Dub

Reaction score

The same thing happened to me on my 2015 X5. The dealership did not input the plan I purchased into the BMW "system". It took a few calls into the finance manager to fix.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
What "maintenance" did she go in for? AS BMW mostly stop all covered "scheduled" free maintenance in 17'

Singleton

Reaction score
Find out if that original plan is only for the first owner. Most don’t transfer when the car is used, unless BMW certified used car. The 1500 might be the plan to 36k for the second owner. Total BS move IMO, if that is the case.

Taboma

Reaction score
Would appear the original Ultimate care maintenance for a 2018 for 36mo / 36K miles is NOT transferrable, only for the original purchaser --- so what did they sell her exactly ??

Universal Elements

Reaction score
The plan she bought is not through BMW. It’s a AutoNation pushed plan. The best thing is to talk to the GM.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Yelp. Google Reviews. Legalized extorsion when you post a story like this.

Reactions: DWC

ghansen

Reaction score
McKenna Dodge did that to me when they owned the dealership in Pomona. They promoted it as a factory warranty. It wasn’t and thecompany they sold me went out of business. Mckenna did nothing to make it right.

Springfield

Reaction score
Sounds like Long Beach BMW is still at it, took my issues up with BMW of America and yes dont waste your time just go to the top, they can clear the air.

Reactions: DWC

Springfield

Reaction score
It's truly a shame how all our former family run/owned bmw dealerships have transformed by these publicly held corporations. 🥺
Wife loves em, #7 now in 20 years, loved the treatment and relationships before Corp.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Let them know you will be contacting the Bureau of Automotive Repair. If I remember correctly there is someone on the board that works or worked for BAR.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
You need to figure out what the “extended plan” is.

My guess is that the dealership sold her an aftermarket maintenance plan for $1500. If that’s the case it may have been an aftermarket plan that covered the car up to 36K miles. A few phone calls to the sales desk at the dealership should get results, if not call BMW directly.

If she’s still the GF the next time she’s out for a Nee to her car make sure to go with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Absolutely don’t call... way too easy to shut you down on the phone.
Go in, in person... bring gf. and all paperwork... with written notes of conversations...

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
You need to read the contract...plain and simple. Maint. and repairs are 2 different things. If she bought it new, it likely included free maint. If she bought it used, it likely didn't...and what they sold her may have gotten here through the original 36K mile contract. Warranty is something entirely different.

I'm pretty sure she got screwed, but only because she failed to read the contract.

AutoNation are some real assholes...I've worked for them before. But they aren't much worse than other dealers....

LC925

Reaction score
Like most are saying, double check if it is an extended “warranty” or “maintenance plan.” I have seen most sales departments selling an actual “Pre paid maintenance plan.”

For example, sales guy: “Your oil changes and yearly maintenance services are costly at $650/each year, but if you buy now, it will only be at $500/each year because you are Pre paying for them so it’s a deal service allows us to offer!” Yes heard this being “sold“ to a guy buying a diesel at a Ram dealer. Those numbers were just examples at how they try to sell it. Usually sold in bundles of more than 1 service.

Best of luck.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
BMW no longer has the 2-year/50,000 mile maintenance included on the CPO cars past the original new car warranty period, which used to make it worth it to get a CPO BMW. Now they only extend the warranty for 2 years past the original warranty with unlimited mileage, no more maintenance. Not much of a deal anymore. Everything I've read is that it's cheaper or works out the same to pay for the maintenance as you go, you're just don't notice that it costs $275+ for an oil change or $1200 for front brakes due to BMW rotors are self-sacrificing and can't or shouldn't be turned.

BMW's are nice cars as long as you have a warranty, after that their value takes a nosedive. Our 2011 CPO 550i that we purchased in 2012 at 18,000 miles for $60,000 (sticker was $78,000) plus taxes & fees was only worth $10,000 in 2017 with 100,000 miles. It blew a head gasket at 102,000 miles and the cost of the work was $10,800. We changed the oil and sent it down the road at BMW of Monrovia (those guys suck big time) - wife wanted another on against my better judgement, but after 7 months she was in an accident and the car was totaled. We actually made money on that car.

If you have your paperwork, take it down there and have them explain why it's not being accepted. If the maintenance period is expired make a stink about being lied to and bring up the Bureau Of Automotive Repair and the Better Business Bureau for unscrupulous business practices.

Good luck.

DaveH

Reaction score
ok so to clarify...she did buy the car new and it came with covered BMW maintenance for 3yr 36k.........that's undeniable.....it right on the window sticker from BMW which she has.

she purchased an "upgraded" maintenance plan (NOT warranty) to which they are now claiming the upgraded plan is only to 36k miles.

of course, even though the sales contract clearly shows the $1500 charge for the maintenance upgrade.......she doesn't have any paperwork outlining the details of the plan. never mind the one inch stack of other sales paper work BS......the one she really needs is magically not there, that would outline the details of the plan.

the ironic part is she negotiated what i thought was a fair deal on the purchase of the car, and up to this point would have had nothing to complain about. but never again will i do business with auto nation.

i realize she is probably screwed, but for sure i will let BMW know how this dealership is ripping off their customers.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
The magic word when you are handed off to the "Finance and Insurance" dept. when buying a car is "NO".

Years ago I bought a damaged 300ZX twin turbo, at the time it was only 6 months old. I got all the purchase paperwork when I bought the car, the buyer had paid over $6,000.00 to the dealer for a "bronze" extended warranty, and $1,900.00 for a LoJack transmitter. I could not believe it. I checked and the going retail price at that time was around $1,200.00 for the warranty and $800. for the LoJack. Buyer beware.

NO is a complete sentence, it will save you a lot of money, the "F&I" dept. only exists to make the dealer profit.

Just say NO!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
ok so to clarify...she did buy the car new and it came with covered BMW maintenance for 3yr 36k.........that's undeniable.....it right on the window sticker from BMW which she has.

she purchased an "upgraded" maintenance plan (NOT warranty) to which they are now claiming the upgraded plan is only to 36k miles.

of course, even though the sales contract clearly shows the $1500 charge for the maintenance upgrade.......she doesn't have any paperwork outlining the details of the plan. never mind the one inch stack of other sales paper work BS......the one she really needs is magically not there, that would outline the details of the plan.

the ironic part is she negotiated what i thought was a fair deal on the purchase of the car, and up to this point would have had nothing to complain about. but never again will i do business with auto nation.

i realize she is probably screwed, but for sure i will let BMW know how this dealership is ripping off their customers.

From BMW..... BMW stopped the maintenance program that was free before.

All model year 2017 BMW vehicles and newer sold or leased by an authorized BMW center come with BMW Ultimate Care standard for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Only the following maintenance items are included with BMW Ultimate Care when they are performed as outlined in the vehicle's Maintenance booklet:

• Engine Oil
  • Engine Filter
  • Brake Fluid
  • Cabin Micro Filter(s)
  • Engine Air Filter(s)
  • Spark Plugs
  • Remote Control/Key Battery
  • Vehicle Check
  • Fuel Filter (Diesel engines only)
For model year 2015 or 2016 vehicles sold or leased by an authorized BMW center on or after July 1, 2014, the BMW Maintenance Program is provided for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. These maintenance programs cover all factory recommended maintenance as outlined in the vehicle's Service and Warranty Booklet. Additional specific items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty—such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blade inserts—are included provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits. Any applicable adjustments required due to normal operating conditions are also included.

Exclusions from coverage are:

• Vehicle safety inspection and emissions test
  • Oxygen Sensor replacement(s)
  • Maintenance service tasks performed on a vehicle with an ineligible/inactive/expired maintenance program
  • Repairs covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks
  • Covered maintenance services performed by service facilities other than an authorized BMW center in the United States or Puerto Rico
  • Engine oil services and other covered maintenance services including those combined with engine oil services that are performed before they qualify or that are performed more frequently than indicated
  • Gasoline and diesel fuel
  • Gasoline and diesel fuel additives
  • Gasoline engine fuel filter
  • Diesel glow plugs
  • Diesel particulate filter
  • DMTL and NVLD system filters
  • Topping off low fluids (e.g., engine oil, coolant system antifreeze, washer fluid) except when done in conjunction with a covered scheduled maintenance service as outlined in the customized maintenance checklist printout
  • Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) top-ups except when done in conjunction with a covered scheduled maintenance as outlined in the customized maintenance checklist printout
  • Tires and wheels/rims
  • Wheel alignment, tire balancing and rotation
  • Parking brake shoes/linings
  • Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) reset except when done in conjunction with a covered scheduled maintenance service as outlined in the customized maintenance checklist printout
  • Wear and tear of soft trim items such as: seats, carpets, moldings, headliner, door panels and all chrome trim
  • Damage, including consequential, which results from negligence, improper operation of the vehicle, wear and tear or deterioration due to driving habits or conditions, improper repair, environmental influences, flood, accident or fire damage, road salt corrosion, alteration, installation of non-genuine BMW accessories, or use of improper, poor quality or contaminated fuel
  • Altered or unreadable Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or odometer irregularities or vehicles where the true mileage cannot be determined

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score

BMW of Monrovia tried to charge me $1800 for 2 tires and an alignment one time. I sent emails to Sonic Autocars who owns the dealership and BMW of North America. I only received a response from BMW corporate. They were sorry for the way I was treated, but they said there is nothing they can do as far as the how they dealership treats its customers. But that dealership is number on in customer sales for that area....

And no, I don’t pay for the tires because I did not request they be replaced. They wouldn’t release the car because the tires which they sold the car to me with were unsafe to drive on. I told them if they didn’t release the car I would call the police and make a scene. They called me up in 2 minutes telling me my car was ready.

F BMW of Monrovia.

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score

the up graded paint plan is to cover brakes, are you buying or leasing? That will make purchasing the extended mileage cheaper. Which BMW store was it? I work at the BP store.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
the up graded paint plan is to cover brakes, are you buying or leasing? That will make purchasing the extended mileage cheaper. Which BMW store was it? I work at the BP store.
Does Damon still own it?

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Is this an "aftermarket program" or actually underwritten and backed by BMW and if aftermarket/BMW who is the underwriter ?

Springfield

Reaction score
Wow. Wonder if that included the Hawaii stores too?
Didn’t know if the Hawaii stores but does still own Irvine. They were good people when owned the Buena Park Center.
And a correction Sonic bought LB a few years back.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Didn’t know if the Hawaii stores but does still own Irvine. They were good people when owned the Buena Park Center.
And a correction Sonic bought LB a few years back.
My old store is now owned by AN, it had two different private owners since me selling it in 2007.

calkid

Reaction score
Drive the car through the showroom glass (there's usually a ramp) and aim for at least two new cars. After setting the parking break, get out looking as surprised as everyone else. Make a statement like, "brakes failed....probably wouldn't have happed if the maintenance contract that we paid for had been activated".
Go home and have a cold cocktail.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
That plan is sold by the finance guy which he could get in law suit if not available for that car .call the finance manager

jet496

Reaction score
My dad, who had worked in sales management positions, drilled in my head decades ago to never buy an extended warranty. Those are just bonus commissions for the sales people.