WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Giving rides at the 2021 Outlaw Nationals

Dana757

Reaction score
Giving rides at the 2021 Outlaw Nationals. This guy was in a bobcat moving boats around all weekend. So when he hit me up for a ride I couldn’t say no. And hey, giving rides is fun, I do it all the time.
Disclaimer 1: I never leg the boat out on top end with a passenger. This was no exception. A few 8K propeller burns is all it takes.
🙃
🙂

Disclaimer 2: I know I have some handling issues. Sorting those is top priority. I have some good help in that department but constructive advice is always welcome.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
That feeling of survival (when you get back) is always nice. :)

I don't care what you think as a spectator unless you've taken that ride you can't comprehend it. And I'm not talking about your average 100 mph flatty. This type of ride is way different!

Thanks for the vid Super D!

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Giving rides at the 2021 Outlaw Nationals. This guy was in a bobcat moving boats around all weekend. So when he hit me up for a ride I couldn’t say no. And hey, giving rides is fun, I do it all the time.
Disclaimer 1: I never leg the boat out on top end with a passenger. This was no exception. A few 8K propeller burns is all it takes.
🙃
🙂

Disclaimer 2: I know I have some handling issues. Sorting those is top priority. I have some good help in that department but constructive advice is always welcome.

The reaction portion of the video was great.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Those burnouts are awesome. Great driving!

Next time you need a gopro also pointing at the passenger's face, it would be hilarious.

77charger

Reaction score
I driven flats to 7,82 in the 1/4 and up to 139 id probably be scketched getting a ride if i werent in the drivers seat,Scarlata would be the only one i probably wouldnt worry though if he was driving and i was passenger.

instagator

Reaction score
I driven flats to 7,82 in the 1/4 and up to 139 id probably be scketched getting a ride if i werent in the drivers seat,Scarlata would be the only one i probably wouldnt worry though if he was driving and i was passenger.
I have seen a demo ride with Tony, Watching from the shore is frighting. Great driver Tony, Maybe the best ever !

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I was so hoping to see you at the Enduro, I was going to hit you up for a ride. That thing is bad ass.

Joe mama

Reaction score
That passengers neck must be sore. Awesome!!! That you did this for the kid.

wzuber

Reaction score
Those burnouts are awesome. Great driving!

Next time you need a gopro also pointing at the passenger's face, it would be hilarious.
I volunteer my face for that video if one is needed.....it"s already got a bit of a head start so it should make for an epic finish video product. Haha

wzuber

Reaction score
That feeling of survival (when you get back) is always nice. :)

I don't care what you think as a spectator unless you've taken that ride you can't comprehend it. And I'm not talking about your average 100 mph flatty. This type of ride is way different!

Thanks for the vid Super D!
Bobby B took me for a ride in the fanatic 1 time 15 +/- years ago @ parker @ one of the regatas. It was the greatest sensation everrrrrr. My advantage ditch pump @ the time ran mid 90's. I wanted to sink that f'n thing after riding in the flatty. Lol
I can only imagine how exilerating a ride in one of these k boats must be.....epic
I'd drop a grand for a simulated 5 lap race like experience (solo boat) in one of these badass boats.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Bobby B took me for a ride in the fanatic 1 time 15 +/- years ago @ parker @ one of the regatas. It was the greatest sensation everrrrrr. My advantage ditch pump @ the time ran mid 90's. I wanted to sink that f'n thing after riding in the flatty. Lol
I can only imagine how exilerating a ride in one of these k boats must be.....epic
I'd drop a grand for a simulated 5 lap race like experience (solo boat) in one of these badass boats.

The Fanatic moves pretty good! Bobby doesn't let chicks in his boat unless their bikini matches his boat. :D The K boat ride can be arranged. I would suggest going with someone who can turn like a pro which rules me out. lol

Here's some old Bobby B. pics from Red Rock (late 90's).

bobbybflyin.jpg

bobbyB.jpg

wzuber

Reaction score
The Fanatic moves pretty good! Bobby doesn't let chicks in his boat unless their bikini matches his boat. :D The K boat ride can be arranged. I would suggest going with someone who can turn like a pro which rules me out. lol

View attachment 1071376

View attachment 1071375
Who do we talk to to get it arrainged? It's not like I'm getting any younger, prettier, wealthier or healthier....so the sooner the better...lol
They could even make it a promotional deal to gain sponsorships or brownie points, makes no diff. To me.
Question tho......does this make me seem kinna desperate? Lol

wzuber

Reaction score

View attachment 1071376

View attachment 1071375
The set on that boat at speed is great. The wster on the pass he took me on was mid day and not as smooth as that shown and it felt so stable and clean. Sitting right next to the engine as you do in those boats and feeling/hearing the engine rev and scream as they do just elevates the experience to a whole nother level. In a squirt boat the engine is far enough away you dont feel the vibration enrrgy and roar the way you do in one of those. It's a completely different viseral experiene. It was so incredible it still has me tslking about it some 12+ yearz later...on the internet.....late on A thursday nigjt when normsl, regular peeps R sleeping and prepairing for their day. Haha

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Awesome….I remember my first ride in a flat…I was about 11 I think. My dad had a boring little regatta w/ a 85hp outboard and a guy was setting up camp next to our spot with a nice red flat with a nitrous bottle in it…I was drooling over it all night. The next day he came and found me on the beach and told me to grab a vest…

I have no idea how fast we went, but he legged it out till we ran the bottle empty. It was like I was in a cartoon, that’s the best way I remember to describe the sensation.

Good on you for giving rides…that’s half the fun in a boat like that, and that guy will remember it forever.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I have driven flats (nothing crazy fast as it was a long long time ago).. been with a couple rides with Scarlotta in a pretty quick boat.

I don’t care, riding passenger in a flat is sketch balls I don’t care who’s driving. Lol. It’s hard just to hang on!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the video Dana but what setup issues are you having? The only thing I could see was at 4:17 the boat seemed to be kinda sliding left? Watching the rest of it though I couldn’t see fit doing anything weird..

Granted there’s not much you are gonna see from a video compared to running it

DB / HAV

Reaction score
That is bad ass! I love watching you run that thing!!! Super cool to give the kid a ride, won’t be able to wipe the smile off his mug for a while.

Track Man

Reaction score
Years back I was running my boat Fox’s. A lady came up to me and asked if I could give her son a ride. I said sure. He said it was the ride of his life. A couple years later I was at Fox’s and she came up to me and thank me again. She said her son had passed away. I gave her a big hug. I was so glad I gave him him that day.

Last edited:

Dana757

Reaction score
Years back I was running my boat Fox’s. A lady came up to me and asked if I could give her son a ride. I said sure. He said it was the ride of his life. A couple years later I was at Fox’s and she came up to me and thank me again. She said her son had passed away. I gave her a big hug. I was so glad I gave him him that day.
really cool and sad all in one. It does feel good to let others get a taste of the v drive experience for sure.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epic! Great driving!!!

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
🙃
🙂

That is my friend Tim Turley(Norm's son). A few years back he asked me for help getting into water ski racing, he probably skis in the 80 mph range, but of course the acceleration on the starts is smoother and more gradual.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

I have a similar story, I pulled in one weekday afternoon for lunch in the middle of summer. One of the girls bartending had her daughter there with her and she was playin on the beach and in the water. Some how a ride came up in conversation and the little one was given permission and I was trusted. Nothing crazy fast, but there is nothing like the sound of open headers right behind you with some compression and cam.

I have thought about that day many times and wondered why that mom, after serving me drinks, allowed me to take her kid out for a spin? But I guess thats what makes Parker cool! I have pics somewhere, If I ever find them and remember Ill post them

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
When i had my flat bottom giving rides was my favorite. Quick but not fast. But I imagine for the passenger it had to be real weird. The passenger seat sat backwards on top of the new experience in a flat bottom.

Dana757

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the video Dana but what setup issues are you having? The only thing I could see was at 4:17 the boat seemed to be kinda sliding left? Watching the rest of it though I couldn’t see fit doing anything weird..

Granted there’s not much you are gonna see from a video compared to running it
It gets to much lift at the tail and likes to climb up on the prop. Take what you see and add 40 mph to it and it's pretty evil. Next is a smaller diameter with less pitch and we'll go from there.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I thought maybe you had too much plate in it but hard to say from behind the keyboard. ;)

Dana757

Reaction score
I thought maybe you had too much plate in it but hard to say from behind the keyboard. ;)
Those will go up a bit as well but one thing at a time. If you drove it as it sits now you wouldn’t be raising the plates.

wzuber

Reaction score
Those will go up a bit as well but one thing at a time. If you drove it as it sits now you wouldn’t be raising the plates.
With prop lift lift your describing do the plates even have any effect on the hull attitude aside from the down position then?

Dana757

Reaction score
With prop lift lift your describing do the plates even have any effect on the hull attitude aside from the down position then?

Yes, if you’re on the down hard at speed it really starts to bow steer. But I need to get the back planted a bit before I can really carry the bow. Non of this was a problem with 1,000 Hp. Toss another 500 onto that and the small issues get magnified quickly.

77charger

Reaction score

Yes, if you’re on the down hard at speed it really starts to bow steer. But I need to get the back planted a bit before I can really carry the bow. Non of this was a problem with 1,000 Hp. Toss another 500 onto that and the small issues get magnified quickly.
Not sure how much difference between drag boats but I know 1/8 inch on shaft length can make a big change. Or even engine placement. I’m sure your roundly boats get effected same way??

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score

I was referring to how much down pedal was being used. My boat has had both a Dave Sammons and a Billy B plate setting. I had to push the down pedal differently for each setting.

I have a Julian prop and 48’s. When accelerating, I have to go full down pedal for a few seconds and then up a little or I get bow steer. The bow steer can be dangerous. After another few seconds Im all the way off the pedal and the boat is marching.

When I finally got the boat to run right years ago, and Wayne said get all the way off the plate I was like….. That sounds deadly and I didn’t want to do it. Once I did and lived I was like ok, I got this. 😂

I don’t know how your plate is set or what prop you have and we all drive different. Adding to that you probably have more power than I have. Im only a 468 spinning the blower 31 over.

fastenuff3

Reaction score

im a old flat driver and the more power you ad the more the prop needs to move forward

Dana757

Reaction score
I was referring to how much down pedal was being used. My boat has had both a Dave Sammons and a Billy B plate setting. I had to push the down pedal differently for each setting.

I have a Julian prop and 48’s. When accelerating, I have to go full down pedal for a few seconds and then up a little or I get bow steer. The bow steer can be dangerous. After another few seconds Im all the way off the pedal and the boat is marching.

When I finally got the boat to run right years ago, and Wayne said get all the way off the plate I was like….. That sounds deadly and I didn’t want to do it. Once I did and lived I was like ok, I got this. 😂

I don’t know how your plate is set or what prop you have and we all drive different. Adding to that you probably have more power than I have. Im only a 468 spinning the blower 31 over.
My prop is a larger diameter then the K50 props.

Dana757

Reaction score
im a old flat driver and the more power you ad the more the prop needs to move forward
It’s right at the strut now. I want to get a few other things sorted before I start trimming the strut barrel. Most K’s are running 10 7/8 x 14. I’m running 11 1/4 x 15 so I’m going to try one of the smaller props to see what it does. That settled my friend’s circle boat right down. If it does the same for me I’ll have Dallas cut mine down to an 11 and try that. My runner bottoms all had 11 x 15’s on them.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
LOL, thats wicked, I dont think i would want to go that fast to be honest, i have felt that mid 70s in my jet is on the threshold of safe and that is a fuck ton faster lol, you can see the boat slide out as he lifts, no thanks lol

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Used to love the feeling of the fin unloading and having to feed some rudder to keep my Sanger going straight. Argh!
Dana is Paradise happening again? Haven’t seen anything on it.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
That was awesome. I dig the dudes reaction !
It never amazes me how motors like these spool up so fast when you guys stab it. It's like there is Zero lag getting to the high revs, just instant.
Can't begin to imagine how gnarly it is to drive one !
Thanks for sharing ! 🙏👍

fastenuff3

Reaction score
It’s right at the strut now. I want to get a few other things sorted before I start trimming the strut barrel. Most K’s are running 10 7/8 x 14. I’m running 11 1/4 x 15 so I’m going to try one of the smaller props to see what it does. That settled my friend’s circle boat right down. If it does the same for me I’ll have Dallas cut mine down to an 11 and try that. My runner bottoms all had 11 x 15’s on them.
on my drag boats i ran 11x14. if your getting to much tail lift cutting prop down should help.on my canyon i could move the prop as little as a dime and make a big difference

twingnut

Reaction score
Weekend Paradise is awesome place to start the New Year . I enjoyed January 2020 given Jerry ( Sharp shooter ) buddy a little ride in the Ugly Customer . I think he is still waiting for me come back and give him another ride.
we are going to miss this year again at weekend paradise ( boat's at Billy B's ) .