WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Glamis old school buggy reunion

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
anyone know about this thing, I think it goes on in March but not sure and I can't find anything about it

EmpirE231

Reaction score
anyone know about this thing, I think it goes on in March but not sure and I can't find anything about it
I’ve never heard of it... but sounds like something to make me bring the old school cool out 😎
49CF3DBB-F724-4878-B57E-173D54504D5B.jpeg
DCAF8241-A8DC-49AF-82AA-58F236B2BF7B.jpeg
44EB94CB-76E3-45F2-8BBC-7399A5088B0F.jpeg

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Never heard of it.. but I wouldn’t mind going to that!
old man is driving me crazy trying to find out about it.....HAS TO GO TO IT!!!!!.. LOL. I asked Todd Taylor...oh yea it's huge..well do you know anything then...Nope!! :rolleyes:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Wonder if this is replacing the pismo reunion or an extension of it.

77charger

Reaction score
I saw dates posted on fb i believe march again but as it gets closer it will get more attention

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
It’s called - old school round up. Usually couple events a year
glamis event is usually March
Go follow - oldschoolsandcars on IG for dates and meet ups or follow #oldschoolroundup
On FB old school round up, I think they create new every year. Pretty good times and usually a mix of bad ass old school and holy shit you drive that Lol

edit: they used to meet up at swingset, but cars would break down getting out there, or small tanks set up for drag couldn't make it. moving it closer made it available for more to get there, and more spectators for easier access off the highway to stop and see With out needing a ride into the dunes

F6688CA5-6C19-47D9-A108-BCE0D0C5E9A6.jpeg

Last edited:

69hondo

Reaction score
If you follow some of the old school buggy pages on instagram Blue Thunder was found year before last I think in a shop and complete. Little dusty but complete.

I will try to find the link.

Dumont has been doing the buggy round up for years. Second weekend in December is the "buggy roundup" which is all and any buggies and in march its the "old school buggy roundup"

69hondo

Reaction score
if you got time to burn lots of cool old school buggiess and jeeps on that page.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Where would a guy find a rail like this for sale? I'm not in the market but I sure would like to find out more about these.
The Instagram link posted below is probably the best spot... also you will find them here and there on Craigslist or racedessert classifieds.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
It’s called - old school round up. Usually couple events a year
glamis event is usually March
Go follow - oldschoolsandcars on IG for dates and meet ups or follow #oldschoolroundup
On FB old school round up, I think they create new every year. Pretty good times and usually a mix of bad ass old school and holy shit you drive that Lol

edit: they used to meet up at swingset, but cars would break down getting out there, or small tanks set up for drag couldn't make it. moving it closer made it available for more to get there, and more spectators for easier access off the highway to stop and see With out needing a ride into the dunes

View attachment 1070844
thank you so much........my sanity is saved now...lol

KMH

Reaction score
There is a guy in Yuma that has Mazzone jigs and is very into these old school cars. If someone is interested PM me and I can send you his contact. He was a very good friend of Mike's

stonehenge

Reaction score
This round up was a ton of fun last year in Glamis, not just buggies, lots of rustic rigs, (in search of another term)

No silly masks

No drama

No cops

Just fun old school goodness.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Damn I miss the old school Glamis days of Maxima 927 aroma filled air, Buzzing Vdub's duking it out for
hill supremacy.War Wagon showing up on point and on time.Gone are the days of abled tool handling folks who actually GAF about the Dez
their stuff and others.

69hondo

Reaction score
Damn I miss the old school Glamis days of Maxima 927 aroma filled air, Buzzing Vdub's duking it out for
hill supremacy.War Wagon showing up on point and on time.Gone are the days of abled tool handling folks who actually GAF about the Dez
their stuff and others.
I still run 927 in all 6 of our 2smokers. even have a few VW still in our group. Step dad still runs my first buggy, old Johnys speed and chrome 2 seater but yes the good old days out there are gone.

69hondo

Reaction score
I haven't been to Glamis in forever. Was happy to see the Caddy in the desert though!
No longer running a 500 caddy motor, now its a 6.2 LS with 4L80
Didnt it used to be blue?

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
I still run 927 in all 6 of our 2smokers. even have a few VW still in our group. Step dad still runs my first buggy, old Johnys speed and chrome 2 seater but yes the good old days out there are gone.
I run 927🤙 in My Bahner 225 Merc Outboard, so the nostalgia is still there. Although I miss my CR 500 dearly, the CRF450R is great,but not the same,We had a Johnny's Speed and Chrome dialed rail when I was a kid, dual Webbers 2285.Thing was legit.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I haven't been to Glamis in forever. Was happy to see the Caddy in the desert though!
No longer running a 500 caddy motor, now its a 6.2 LS with 4L80
We’ll that’s sad but I guess he over revved the caddy to 4200 1 to many times, so I guess the LS was the probable choice.

cofooter

Reaction score
I run 927🤙 in My Bahner 225 Merc Outboard, so the nostalgia is still there. Although I miss my CR 500 dearly, the CRF450R is great,but not the same,We had a Johnny's Speed and Chrome dialed rail when I was a kid, dual Webbers 2285.Thing was legit.
Johnny's Speed and Chrome - Old School Cool! You guys are making me want to go out and work on the buggy!
IMG_0053 (2019_12_07 18_50_02 UTC).JPG

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Love it. Wish I could have kept mine. I would love to know where it wound up, but it is probably better I don't know. I can't drive it, which is why I sold it...but man that thing was a labor of love...

Myfavoriteangleresized_zps1ba1a68e.JPG

retaocleg

Reaction score
i love vw buggies.......last i was involved, exotic was anything watercooled😮 dad had a 2180 that domnated 29 palms, it;d be the pit cruiser now

Meaney77

Reaction score
Anyone remember San Fernando Buggy Supply before they were acquired/rebranded by Prowlers?

My first sand car was a Sand Sprite IV with a fuel injected turbo 2110 SCAT Motor with 10lbs of boost. It was an absolute white knuckles rocket on the straights, way to much power for a 100" mid engine frame.

I remember Saturdays and making a day out of buying buggy parts- we would first stop at San Fernando Buggy and get tabs and parts and whatever we needed to fab up something on our cars, then we would keep on keeping on down the 210 and would stop at Pacific Customs- at the tine that was an adult toy store, they had the most bad ass buggy parts around.

Last edited:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Is this a twisted car? That's really nice!

A friend and I biuilt it from scratch, starting with a pile of tubing.
Over the space of about 8 years we built 6 of them, I had one like this before, that was the second proof of concept car, then this one was the last. hours upon hours in it.
Fromthefront640x480_zps3bbe3102.JPG

A pic of the floors...they were stainless steel, about 500 holes drilled between the two sides, countersunk. Went through half a coffee can of cheap bits and about 4 evenings after work.
300x300.jpg

Last edited:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
That's a nice clean car.
It was a labor of love. I polished the transmission case while out with a broken foot. I would put my cast in a hefty trash bag, tape it to my jeans, and hobble out to the shop. Took me a week. I got down to detailing it with with a dremel tool. Did all the wiring through the chassis, took two years to build. 368 Chevy w/Dart 220 Spread Port heads, 12.8 to 1, Crower solid roller with roller lifters, rev kit, girdles, etc. Brasweel Carb on Brodix HVH intake.
She'd run, sounded awesome wound up and going up the face of sand mountain.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I swear I used to see this car in Glamis in the mid 90's......were you out there with this?
I think he helped me hi centered off a ridge in glamis in my pos pismo car. Aside from the 425 set up ( I’d thought about this for a long time) I remember seeing Chevy? And asking no BPOE? Then he gave me the run down on the rig. Still a bad ass set up by any days standard. Arrrghh all this buggy talk.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I took the predecessor to this car to Glamis for New Years 94, but the chassis wasn't like this one, and it was a solid fire engine red, this one was a fmetallic red powdercoat. If you were out there New Years 94 it could have been me with the first one I built...but not this one.
I think I sold this one 2003, I heard through the rumor mill that the guy who bought it scared the hell out of himself with it at Sand Mountain the first time out and I was told he sold it to someone on the north coast.

The trans is a Turbo 325, not 425. We built 2 of them with that trans. IT was a lot heavier than the 325, but it was a lot stouter too. If my pal, who was the guy who thought this up didn't own a trans shop I don't think we could have made the 325 live. He did a lot of stuff inside it and found all the very best pieces to help it. The 325 was only built from 79 to 82 as I recall, and the best clutch drums were in the units they put behind diesels. We did a ton of research on this stuff...mostly because we couldn't afford the B&J two speed, which was what other guys were running behind high HP set ups back then, and even those guys were breaking parts.
We had a lot of fun with them.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Anyone remember San Fernando Buggy Supply before they were acquired/rebranded by Prowlers?

My first sand car was a Sand Sprite IV with a fuel injected turbo 2110 SCAT Motor with 10lbs of boost. It was an absolute white knuckles rocket on the straights, way to much power for a 100" mid engine frame.

I remember Saturdays and making a day out of buying buggy parts- we would first stop at San Fernando Buggy and get tabs and parts and whatever we needed to fab up something on our cars, then we would keep on keeping on down the 210 and would stop at Pacific Customs- at the tine that was an adult toy store, they had the most bad ass buggy parts around.
You forgot swinging by IMS for a stick of
1 1/2 .095