WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Glass cleaner...What say you?

Brian

Reaction score
I've always used Windex to clean car glass and home windows. Recently I've had bad streaking problems so I'm ready to try something new. What do you use and how do you like it?

Richard.E

Reaction score
2a98f2c32270ef048e29bd98256be919.jpg

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Something that I have found that helps a bunch if you want your windows to look their best is washing your hands thoroughly first, or even better wear Nitrile gloves.
The oil in your skin gets on the paper towel and causes streaks

Brian

Reaction score
This, But I find most of the streaking is caused by the paper towels that you use, try the Marathon folded towels.:thumbsup

Towels don't seem to be the problem. I tried different paper towels, regular towels, microfiber. Obviously cleaning glass in the sun makes it worse but even in the shade it still comes out like shit.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
I use Meguirs spray. Only because my wife went to get her car cleaned about a year ago, and one the guys left the bottle in the back of her car lol.

Typically, you get streaks from a few factors ... one of which is spraying on too much window cleaner.

The way I avoid getting streaks, is to NOT spray too much. One little, lite spray onto a terry cloth held about 8" away. Wipe window, then turn to a clean, dry side and finish wiping

Works every time. [emoji106]

BajaMike

Reaction score
Cheapest and Best:

Buy a gallon or two of cheap white vinegar ($1 to $2 per gallon) and same amount of distilled water ($1 to $2 per gallon).

Mix half and half in a spray bottle.

This also works well on water spots on your boats.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Cheapest and Best:

Buy a gallon or two of cheap white vinegar ($1 to $2 per gallon) and same amount of distilled water ($1 to $2 per gallon).

X2.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I've always used Windex to clean car glass and home windows. Recently I've had bad streaking problems so I'm ready to try something new. What do you use and how do you like it?

Towels don't seem to be the problem. I tried different paper towels, regular towels, microfiber. Obviously cleaning glass in the sun makes it worse but even in the shade it still comes out like shit.

Use Microfiber towels when cleaning windows (or just about anything for that matter).. If you are having problems with streaking, make sure you are using the clean side and rotate.. You might have got something oily on the window that is spreading around and not really being pulled off? Other then that just about any window cleaner and a microfiber should have it crystal clear.

Cheapest and Best:

Strips wax on boats... But anything that really pulls water spots will do that as well.

DickieB

Reaction score
Cheapest and Best:

Yep, you took the words right out of my mouth.......by far, the BEST glass/water spot cleaner you'll find, and cheap too!

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Sprayway aerosol can. I go through about a case a week and it is by far the best, and i've tried them all.

If the glass is hot you just have to use more. Never use windex or any ammonia based glass cleaner on a windshield.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
As for towels, we use wypall L10 utility towels for everything glass and they are great.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Sprayway aerosol can. I go through about a case a week and it is by far the best, and i've tried them all.

If the glass is hot you just have to use more. Never use windex or any ammonia based glass cleaner on a windshield.

I know ammonia cleaners like Windex are big no-no's but is Sprayway safe on tint? Always have nose smudges after the pup rides shotgun.

-Zack

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Recently I've had bad streaking problems so I'm ready to try something new.

What ever you say Frank...

[video=youtube;20g3QIUnOgY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20g3QIUnOgY[/video]

CHEETAH24

Reaction score
Believe it or not this is some of the best I've used. I have lots of people come in just to buy it.
image.gif

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I know ammonia cleaners like Windex are big no-no's but is Sprayway safe on tint? Always have nose smudges after the pup rides shotgun.

-Zack

Why? I use that shit all the time on tinted windows and it's never done anything but clean it?

RD

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Why? I use that shit all the time on tinted windows and it's never done anything but clean it?

RD

Ammonia can discolor some tints.
Other tints - including all 3M tints - are fine with ammonia cleaners.

Here's 3M's website:
After thirty (30) days, you may clean 3M Films using normal household cleaning solutions, including ammonia based products: e.g., Windex, and a soft, lint-free cloth or towel. You may also use a squeegee to clean the films. Abrasive products which would scratch or damage the film should not be used.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Resources/Resources_List/FAQs/

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score

RD

Windex streaks, and at night when driving the oncoming traffics headlights can cause blinding conditions through the windshield.

badluck

Reaction score
Spray away or CRL. Think they are the same. It's what glaziers use.

bluebleeder

Reaction score
Another tip. Never use fabric softener on towels and rags. Leaves a residue which promotes streaking and prohibits the water absorption.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Sprayaway is the stuff commercial glaziers use, works great. They leave cases of that stuff laying around and I always stock up when their onsite. It has that baby powder fresh smell to it also, better than an air freshener.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Sprayaway is the stuff commercial glaziers use, works great. They leave cases of that stuff laying around and I always stock up when their onsite. It has that baby powder fresh smell to it also, better than an air freshener.

I've been smelling Sprayway pretty much every day for many, many years. Not a fan :D

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Cheapest and Best:

X2
for house windows, I add a couple of drops of dish soap.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Ammonia can discolor some tints.
Other tints - including all 3M tints - are fine with ammonia cleaners.

Here's 3M's website:
After thirty (30) days, you may clean 3M Films using normal household cleaning solutions, including ammonia based products: e.g., Windex, and a soft, lint-free cloth or towel. You may also use a squeegee to clean the films. Abrasive products which would scratch or damage the film should not be used.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Resources/Resources_List/FAQs/
Interesting, learn something new every day! Used Windex in a pinch and always expected my tint to melt off lol As an aside, I get lint free blue towels left over from surgeries. Once docs open a sealed bag any remaining towels get tossed so I just ask for extras. They're a little rough but work great on windows.
Windex streaks, and at night when driving the oncoming traffics headlights can cause blinding conditions through the windshield.
Good looking out, thanks for the info.

-Zack

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
For houses don't use sprays just dish soap and water and a squeegee. For cars the three packs of Costco blue crap has always been my fav.