WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Glastron V-Drive?????

Sgt_Smoke

Reaction score
A guy here is trying to sell a glastron boat, Says it is a flat bottom, has a 396 bbc, turbo 400 trans, cassel v-drive, and says it will do 80 or so on water. says the top of hull around the bow is some kind of fabric or so, not fiberglass top, but says the bottom is fiberglass. says it is a 1968. Is this true, I wont be able to see the boat for another week. I looked at all the models i can find from 1968 and none of them are flat bottoms or v-drive. not even shown a jet model.

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score
A guy here is trying to sell a glastron boat, Says it is a flat bottom, has a 396 bbc, turbo 400 trans, cassel v-drive, and says it will do 80 or so on water. says the top of hull around the bow is some kind of fabric or so, not fiberglass top, but says the bottom is fiberglass. says it is a 1968. Is this true, I wont be able to see the boat for another week. I looked at all the models i can find from 1968 and none of them are flat bottoms or v-drive. not even shown a jet model.

i know most of there boats were family fish and ski boats, but i have been told and seen pics of some custom boats they did with double out boards, jets, and what not that some guys ran in ski racing.... it is possible they made a v drive

steventafc

Reaction score
My father had one back in the early 70's.i will try to find some pictures and post them

Sgt_Smoke

Reaction score
Awsome, I would love some pictures. I am curious to how the boat looks. is it a sleek style like some of these other v-drives. He is asking 1800 for it but wont be back in town till next week sometime.

Bueman

Reaction score
Did you ever go look at that Glastron? What kind of condition is it in? I can't seem to find anything on a V-Drive Glastron in 1968

harlanorrin

Reaction score
There were some Glastron v-drive boats running endurance races in the
'60s. The hull thickness may be a question.
HARLAN ORRIN

clickr

Reaction score
a Glastron boat dealer outside of Dayton, OH bought 3 Glaston hulls for himself and two of his buddies in '68. I bought the v-drive boat way back (late 80's) , it had a BBC, Velvet drive, the top had burnt off in a fire and someone make a plywood top and covered it in vinyl fabric. One of the boats was fitted with a v-drive, one a jet drive and other was a Mercruser I/O. The v-drive had the hull layered up 2" thick and it road like a train on tracks, U turns at 70+ mph and it just hooked and went where it was pointed, top end was around 80 mph. I had the boat for five or six years, located it about six years ago again outside of Dayton, OH, the person I sold it to took out the velvet drive put in a 2 speed powerglide, it had sat outside uncovered, all the trailer tires were flat, the floor/etc were all rotted away. I had no way of taking it back down to NC so I did not buy it - have no idea where the boat is today.