WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

GM Brake Recall

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
GM has announced a recall on the brakes of 2015-2018 Silverados, Suburbans and Escalades. Bradley Chev in LHC says the repair takes 30-40 minutes.

The recall covers the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups from the 2014 through 2018 model years. Also included are the Cadillac Escalade from 2015 to 2017, and the GMC Yukon and Chevy Suburban and Tahoe from 2015 through 2018.

GM says that as it ages, the pump in the power-assist brakes can put out less vacuum power than needed, increasing stopping distance and the risk of a crash.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/co...y-3-8m-pickups-suvs-fix-brake-issues-n1052356

RCDave

Reaction score
3.8 Million vehicles impacted. YIKES

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
My 2014 GMC Sierra VIN is showing as included in the recall. I'll get it done when the tires need to be balanced in 10k miles. So, 2021. lol.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
This morning Bradley Chev took care of the brake recall on our Suburban. Took 30 minutes max.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Just looked and my Escalade is on the list. We don’t have many Caddy dealers around here so warranty work always takes forever because of the backlog [emoji3525]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tb230razor

Reaction score
Kind of funny this is on here today. My vacuum pump went out last weekend while I was on the 91 freeway in Yorba Linda Had a hard brake pedal with minimal, and I mean minimal brake. It took everything I had to push on the pedal and slow it down. To make a very long story short, took it to dealer yesterday, the Chevy dealer has replaced the vacuum pump and reprogrammed the computer brake issues however the pump allowed engine oil to get into the booster and master cylinder, and now they’re telling me $1100 to repair. It seems to me that the parts under warranty/recall failed and caused the others to fail also but they’re taking no responsibility. Tried to use common sense with the service rep with no luck. Told him not to touch anything and I’ll head in to talk to manager tomorrow. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
Kind of funny this is on here today. My vacuum pump went out last weekend while I was on the 91 freeway in Yorba Linda Had a hard brake pedal with minimal, and I mean minimal brake. It took everything I had to push on the pedal and slow it down. To make a very long story short, took it to dealer yesterday, the Chevy dealer has replaced the vacuum pump and reprogrammed the computer brake issues however the pump allowed engine oil to get into the booster and master cylinder, and now they’re telling me $1100 to repair. It seems to me that the parts under warranty/recall failed and caused the others to fail also but they’re taking no responsibility. Tried to use common sense with the service rep with no luck. Told him not to touch anything and I’ll head in to talk to manager tomorrow. Thoughts?

What year is the truck?
If newer, Call GM corporate headquarters and open a case.

tb230razor

Reaction score
What year is the truck?
If newer, Call GM corporate headquarters and open a case.

2015. Mileage still under their warranty guidelines. I might have to do something bigger if they don’t take responsibility. Headache I didn’t need right now

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure was already a TSB, but now they’re making it a full recall.

IMG_2521.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Techs aren’t getting paid shit to do anything under warranty, so they’re looking for some cash gravy work. If this system uses a vacuum booster, it is fucking impossible that engine oil got into the master cylinder...and if it did, every piece of rubber in the brake system needs to be replaced. Bring a small clear clean jar with you tomorrow and a straw or on of those little cat medicine syringes. Draw some fluid out of the master cylinder to fill your jar about 1/4”, then put another 1/4” of clean water...mix it up and it no engine oil separates out, put them on blast and threaten to call the BAR on them for trying to cheat you.

tb230razor

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure was already a TSB, but now they’re making it a full recall.

View attachment 797602

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is the exact bulletin my mechanic gave me. The Chevy service writer told me that the bulletin was “suggestions” and the only part under recall was the brake control module. I’ll post in this thread after I get this resolved for anyone who has this problem later. I’m not here to bitch, I just want Chevy to make it right. It was pretty gnarly going 70mph on freeway and had no brakes. I’m just glad my wife or one of my kids weren’t driving. I highly advise anyone with a vehicle under this warranty to handle it now before the problem comes up. Wasn’t fun

Flynryan

Reaction score
Our 2015 Tahoe brakes went out on my wife about 6 months ago. I paid $1100 to an independent and now Im fighting with chevy to get my reimbursement check from them.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Techs aren’t getting paid shit to do anything under warranty, so they’re looking for some cash gravy work. If this system uses a vacuum booster, it is fucking impossible that engine oil got into the master cylinder...and if it did, every piece of rubber in the brake system needs to be replaced. Bring a small clear clean jar with you tomorrow and a straw or on of those little cat medicine syringes. Draw some fluid out of the master cylinder to fill your jar about 1/4”, then put another 1/4” of clean water...mix it up and it no engine oil separates out, put them on blast and threaten to call the BAR on them for trying to cheat you.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Engine oil in the master. Wow...

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I had the problem - 3 times. 2016 High Country - $62,000 sticker!!!, i drive ( sales) for a living - at 22 months i had 82,000 miles on it, took it to the dealer, charged me $870.00. When they did the soft recall, took the reciept back, dealer said sorry, 6 years OR 72,000 miles. I tell everyone who asks "how do you like your truck??" the story. If i didn't know how to control the truck with the emergency break, i'd be dead 3 TIMES, but i had too many miles for them to help. I asked who the GM rep was, they said "noone from mfg comes to the dealer - all done on the internet". Don't know if that's the truth or not, but the next new truck won't have a bowtie on it.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
I had the problem - 3 times. 2016 High Country - $62,000 sticker!!!, i drive ( sales) for a living - at 22 months i had 82,000 miles on it, took it to the dealer, charged me $870.00. When they did the soft recall, took the reciept back, dealer said sorry, 6 years OR 72,000 miles. I tell everyone who asks "how do you like your truck??" the story. If i didn't know how to control the truck with the emergency break, i'd be dead 3 TIMES, but i had too many miles for them to help. I asked who the GM rep was, they said "noone from mfg comes to the dealer - all done on the internet". Don't know if that's the truth or not, but the next new truck won't have a bowtie on it.

I thought with a recall it didn’t matter how many miles you had?

tb230razor

Reaction score
I thought with a recall it didn’t matter how many miles you had?

My understanding is, there’s a recall on computer programming system, the vacuum pump has an extended warranty to 6 years or 72,000 miles, whichever occurs first

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
My understanding is, there’s a recall on computer programming system, the vacuum pump has an extended warranty to 6 years or 72,000 miles, whichever occurs first

I’m hesitant to take mine in. I have a 2017 with 88k on it. It’s never been to the dealer for anything! It’s supercharged and it’s been tuned also. Not sure I want all that documented, but I also don’t need my brakes going out, especially for how much I drive.

tb230razor

Reaction score
I’m hesitant to take mine in. I have a 2017 with 88k on it. It’s never been to the dealer for anything! It’s supercharged and it’s been tuned also. Not sure I want all that documented, but I also don’t need my brakes going out, especially for how much I drive.

Might be worth looking into. I’m not trying to scare you at all, but you don’t want that shit to go out on you. It was a pretty helpless feeing. Usually takes a lot to get me rattled, but it scared the hell out of me. It was out of nowhere too, no signs of any issues until the brake was gone

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Might be worth looking into. I’m not trying to scare you at all, but you don’t want that shit to go out on you. It was a pretty helpless feeing. Usually takes a lot to get me rattled, but it scared the hell out of me. It was out of nowhere too, no signs of any issues until the brake was gone

Ok. Guess I’ll have to just bring it in and deal with it.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
With the mileage on my truck, are you saying I’ll have to pay to have the brake issue fixed? @tb320razor

tb230razor

Reaction score
With the mileage on my truck, are you saying I’ll have to pay to have the brake issue fixed? @tb320razor

A 2017 should be covered under the computer programming recall. My vacuum pump (has a 6 yr/72,000 mile warranty) went out due to the computer fault. Vacuum fail killed the booster and master issues. If you get recall on computer fixed, you should be good

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Few months back i was pulling the boat down to the ramp at the springs.. Got going down the hill and tapped the brakes. They locked up and were barely holding the weight. FN scary!!!! I had to inch down the hill with my foot smashed in the brake pedal. Nearly went right off the hill into the docks. Learned of the recall when we got back home.. No issues since but damm i nearly shit myself on that one.. 17 silverado

tb230razor

Reaction score
Few months back i was pulling the boat down to the ramp at the springs.. Got going down the hill and tapped the brakes. They locked up and were barely holding the weight. FN scary!!!! I had to inch down the hill with my foot smashed in the brake pedal. Nearly went right off the hill into the docks. Learned of the recall when we got back home.. No issues since but damm i nearly shit myself on that one.. 17 silverado

I get it. That’s why I’m telling everyone I know to get the recall handled. I couldn’t imagine it happening when I was towing the boat

Last edited:

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Got the wifes Suburban done today. I thought we were getting new brakes not just programming. I was hoping to avoid pads and rotors for awhile longer.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
need to get the wifes 14 silverado in. Got the recall notice. I hate taking cars in for service such a pita...lol

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Good to know, since about 3 weeks ago I rear-ended a BMW. Yeah I looked down at my phone for a second, looked up and slammed on my brakes but couldn't stop in time. Not that much damage but still need a new bumper.

Any chance of me getting reimbursed from GM for this?

I got to take my truck in asap. 2018 Silverado.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
The real irony of this thread is the joke in the facebook thread today with the Ford and brakes......

I know this a loyal Chevy forum so flame retardant underwear is on..........

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Took mine in today for the recall. Pretty painless procedure to get it taken care of. Was dropped off and picked up within a couple of hours. [emoji1303]

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
need to get the wifes 14 silverado in. Got the recall notice. I hate taking cars in for service such a pita...lol
maybe we make an RDP event out of it, drop them all off at Selman or something and then go get beers.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
If you're over EITHER 72,000 or 6 years, you will have to pay 100%. As pissed as i am, i'd STRONGLY advise fixing - this definitely has the potential to kill you / loved ones / strangers with lawyers. There's NO notice - everything is fine, then NO BRAKES. The third time i was exiting the freeway to a red light at a 5 lane intersection - thank god there was enough room on the right berm to miss the 4 cars that were already stopped, and the guy comming past me saw i was going to go through the light and stopped, avoiding an accident for me. I figured i used up my entire karma savings in that 1 event. Get it fixed - scream at the service manager, buy a different brand, and take it bake to the Chevy dealer to show them!!!!!

pronstar

Reaction score
Since when are NHTSA recalls subject to age and mileage limits?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pronstar

Reaction score
From NHTSA’s website:

Are there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge?

Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense – and eliminate unnecessary safety risks.

Also, if the manufacturer challenges the agency’s final decision of a safety defect, there is no obligation for the manufacturer to remedy the defect while the case is in court. If you decide to have your vehicle remedied at your own expense while the case is pending and the court upholds NHTSA’s final decision, you may be entitled to reimbursement. (Be sure to save all receipts and paperwork so that you can prove the repairs were made.) However, if the court ultimately rules the defect is not safety related, Federal law does not require that the manufacturer reimburse you for the repair work.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score
Called today to schedule my wife’s 2015 Yukon that got new brakes last month. They are 2 weeks out on appointments.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I think GM is treating these new vehicles like they are run via apps. Send them out I the wild 95% good and we’ll update the software later. The number of recalls on my 2014 Sierra is pretty appalling at this point. And any of the other issues are “normal”. Many of their so called “advancements” are a step in the wrong direction IMO. Whether Ford is better or worse, I’m done buying new GM vehicles. A braking system that allows engine oil into the master cylinder? How the hell does that design make any sense? I’d like to hear the engineers’ explanation of why that is a better system than a hydroboost or even engine vacuum. Maybe I’ll just start driving the Chevelle again. Mechanical shit that makes sense and actually works.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
If you're over EITHER 72,000 or 6 years, you will have to pay 100%. As pissed as i am, i'd STRONGLY advise fixing - this definitely has the potential to kill you / loved ones / strangers with lawyers. There's NO notice - everything is fine, then NO BRAKES. The third time i was exiting the freeway to a red light at a 5 lane intersection - thank god there was enough room on the right berm to miss the 4 cars that were already stopped, and the guy comming past me saw i was going to go through the light and stopped, avoiding an accident for me. I figured i used up my entire karma savings in that 1 event. Get it fixed - scream at the service manager, buy a different brand, and take it bake to the Chevy dealer to show them!!!!!

Wrong! My truck is a 2017 with 88k miles on it. I didn’t pay a dime and it was covered.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Wifes tahoe just got back from dealer for the 3rd time for a rough idle. 3rd time is a charm. Replaced both motor mounts and shimmed per a TSB and magically idle is smooth again.

While it was in there I mentioned the brake recall and they reprogrammed the computer.

RIVERDAZE

Reaction score
While launching earlier this May doing a shakedown before I sold the boat we almost launched my buddies 2015 1500 at Jack Smith. He was standing on the pedal with both feet then hit the e brake. scared the shit outta him...I had no idea any thing was wrong he wasnt going fast at all but it wouldn't stop! I told him to back down in drive to retrieve the boat. Took it to the dealer and they said something was wrong with vaccum in the brakes, not the pump, they had the truck for 3 days. They did this pump recall last week at Selman.

tb230razor

Reaction score
Update:
The dealer is going to fix everything free of charge. The manager I dealt with was super cool

Update #2:
The dealer reprogrammed computer, replaced vacuum pump and the line, booster and master cylinder free of charge. Picked it up last Friday, drive it straight home (3 miles) parked it for the day. Went to start the truck Saturday morning and it was having trouble starting (long slow crank) and had warning on the dash that said “service trailer brake system”, took it back to dealer Saturday morning, they called today saying the battery is dead and is causing both problems, and want to charge me $250 to replace. Kind of ironic the battery goes bad the day after I picked it up. I’m over it so I’m picking truck up tomorrow and I’ll put a new battery in myself. I think it’s odd that a bad battery would trigger a service trailer brake warning

tb230razor

Reaction score
Wifes tahoe just got back from dealer for the 3rd time for a rough idle. 3rd time is a charm. Replaced both motor mounts and shimmed per a TSB and magically idle is smooth again.

While it was in there I mentioned the brake recall and they reprogrammed the computer.

Good. I learned there’s also a recall out on the steering assist, so I had that done too. I’ve literally had 11 chevys and can’t remember ever receiving recall notices. Weird

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Anyone know the part that needs to be replaced? I have this thing about having anyone work on my cars. It’s called “I don’t let anyone work on my cars”. I’d rather just handle myself. Even if it costs me a little money.

tb230razor

Reaction score
Anyone know the part that needs to be replaced? I have this thing about having anyone work on my cars. It’s called “I don’t let anyone work on my cars”. I’d rather just handle myself. Even if it costs me a little money.

The recall is on the computer programming system, it needs to be “reprogrammed”