Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
WTF did I finally stump RDP? No one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Following but have ZERO info. I have the CP4 but doubt it’ll be covered as I’ve upgraded other parts of my truck.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Following but have ZERO info. I have the CP4 but doubt it’ll be covered as I’ve upgraded other parts of my truck.
Me too, I’ve got over 250k on the original pump so I doubt I’m worthy of any compensation.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
The suit is against bosch not GM. Not sure of the outcome. If its filed as a class action, and they are successful or reach an agreement in arbitration, theoretically all of us with a cp4 could be entitled to compensation. The theory is, even if yours has not become defective it will because it's very design is flawed. At least that's how I understand I theory of the case..

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Hmm. Meanwhile, us 5.9 and 7.3 guys are just leaning back in our chairs enjoying a nice bag of popcorn..... 🤣

Warlock1

Reaction score
I would like to see the ratio of dead CP4's based on whether the truck has remained stock or has been altered. My gut feeling is most of the failures have occurred when tunes were put on and the owners ran the pump dry and it ate itself. When I had my truck tuned the guy told me , you can run it safety on setting 2 without worry. Setting 3 is iffy just don't get in it and stay in it. Settings 4 and 5 are only after I install a quality lift pump to prevent running the CP4 dry.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I
I would like to see the ratio of dead CP4's based on whether the truck has remained stock or has been altered. My gut feeling is most of the failures have occurred when tunes were put on and the owners ran the pump dry and it ate itself. When I had my truck tuned the guy told me , you can run it safety on setting 2 without worry. Setting 3 is iffy just don't get in it and stay in it. Settings 4 and 5 are only after I install a quality lift pump to prevent running the CP4 dry.
I run mine on max all day long and it doesnt skip a beat at 120k. I need to put a bypass on it because it's not a matter of if, it's when. The reality is they all fail. Cp3 or cp4. Doesnt matter. It's not designed to last forever. The biggest issue is the change in materials internally. They went to a ceramic gear? I belive, something to that effect. So, when the pump fails that ceramic grenades fragments into the fuel lines. The cp3 did not do that. It simply lost pressure.

Now the question of the cp4 failing prematurely is a different theory all together. That lies, many belive, in the lack of lubrication in american diesel vs European diesel.

When you put a tune on it, you're putting more demand on things, so really you're finding a problem faster if there is one, not necessarily creating one. I have had a scenario where the rail did run dry for a brief moment. The pump didnt explode. I now have a lift pump with a water separator and filter. I also maintain the primary filter at the motor. I add diesel kleen with my tanks. I meticulously maintain my truck. I'm in no way easy on it, that I can assure you. We will see how long it holds up and what fails. So far, I bought it new in 2012 and have 120 on the clock. It's got quite a bit of power put to it on stock internals and stock internal in the trans. Trans was tuned to increase line pressure amongst other things.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I put the bypass kit on my Ford F250 6.7 and also use Stanadyne additive. So far no problems, but I am as prepared as I can be.

Warlock1

Reaction score
There is a filter that you can buy that goes on the output side of the CP4 that will catch the particles. I will be getting one of those to help with the situation.

Reactions: TPC

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
This is the kit I put on my ford Powerstroke 6.7
I think there are similar kits available for the Duramax engines also.

4Waters

Reaction score
This is the kit I put on my ford Powerstroke 6.7
I think there are similar kits available for the Duramax engines also.
Yes there is

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Me too, I’ve got over 250k on the original pump so I doubt I’m worthy of any compensation.
I heard it’s mostly happening in wet states where a “fill’in” stations fuel tanks may absorb water.
I ran that fuel lubricant - anti gel recommended here in RDP in the 2015 DMax. Had to buy it online. Never found it anyplace.

wishiknew

Reaction score
my ratio was 2 out of 3 did it all work trucks all 2013 2500 and 3500 never any tuning just regular service sold all 3 and got gas trucks

HPBoats83

Reaction score
My buddy just was stranded by this for the second time. He had to pick up a good sized piece of equipment in South Carolina so he and his family made a vacation and the they’re still trying to get the truck home. They went from Ca to South Carolina then on there way home made it as far as Texas and the truck let go on him with like 75,000 miles. He’s still working on getting the truck back home from BFE Texas. 2016 GMC Denali 6.6

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
my ratio was 2 out of 3 did it all work trucks all 2013 2500 and 3500 never any tuning just regular service sold all 3 and got gas trucks

What was the mileage?

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Running optilube religiously.

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Yes popcorn....while your waiting for the trans tech to come into the waiting room and advise you’ve smoked your 3rd trans 😂

Still on my first at 220k 😝

I will admit that I'm planning on ripping it out soon because of a sticky tq converter and to convert to 4wd.

wishiknew

Reaction score
What was the mileage?

#1 was 118000 #2 was about 140000 and #3 was sold off before it broke and to be honest the guy that beats on the truck the hardest Is the one that never broke

wishiknew

Reaction score
#1 was 118000 #2 was about 140000 and #3 was sold off before it broke and to be honest the guy that beats on the truck the hardest Is the one that never broke
And that truck had 185000 miles on it

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Well like said in above post I run optilube every tank. I just installed the Exergy fuel metering valve for good measure. Next is a lift pump hopefully. Anyone know of anyone having a CP4.2 come apart after using the exergy part?

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I'm interested in this answer as well. I've heard it still breaks through the screen.