WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Going off the grid, our family story.

TLAW719

Reaction score
I have to say, if you would allow it, I would love to check out your property and give you a hand on one of your projects some time.

wash11

Reaction score
Wait a minute. Don't you owe me for the codes? Lol I want in on this great escape. Lol. But really good luck and we wish you the best.

I sure do:thumbsup

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
If you run in to ground squirrels or do get some gophers I have a tool to add to your arsenal. :D
I do a check of the access holes, and cover all but one with dirt. Then, I take my diesel tractor over there.
I slide a 10 ft. length of flexible exhaust tubing over the stack, and duct tape the other end to a long length of shop vac hose, the other end of which goes into the hole in da ground. I pack dirt around it.
Start diesel tractor. Raise idle to about 1300.
Cook about 30-40 minutes.
I usually do this in July, when they are conditioned to head underground because I've popped a lot of their kin.
When I get them to where they are spooked every time they see me with my .22 RWS Diana 460 Pellet rifle, it is time for the tractor.
I let them think they are getting away with it one more time, while the tractor warms up...wait with rifle for any leakers...

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
So once you move out there permanently are you cutting off completely ties from the outside world? No TV no internet??

BajaMike

Reaction score
We had rented and borrowed lots of equipment at this point and had a good idea of what we needed going forward. The backhoes were far and away the most versatile machines for our purpose. Figure $1600 per week with transport not including fuel and repairs. One crapper that we rented broke 4 times in 7 days. 80 mile round trip to town for parts each time. Months of research, as I had zero equipment experience before starting this, had given me the basics of what I was looking for.

By now we had become pretty good at saving money. That, along with selling off stuff we could part with finally had us able to start shopping. I was ok with my reality, my budget would only go far enough to buy an older machine. I have a decent set of tools and am pretty fair with a wrench so I set out looking for something in nice shape that needed basic wear items taken care of, nothing major.

I drove 300 miles in every direction from Havasu and looked at a ton of stuff and finally made a deal on this. It was ten years old, fleet maintained by a large underground company in Phoenix. They had put a fresh paint job on it as well as new tires and a few other things that would have been tough on me and wallet. It was ready for a full service which was actually perfect. I had wanted to learn the ins and outs of working on it myself.

First trip to the Deere dealer was an eye opener. They are pretty proud of the parts but at least everything was quality and an absolute exact fit.

New, updated control panel to show correct hours on machine.

Rebuilt the seat assembly as it has 4.2 million moving parts. Huge difference, and fat guy approved. New spring, shock, switches and seat belt assembly.

New dual battery setup and all new cables with switch.

Replaced all 4 billion grease fittings and cleaned out a few plugged passages before pins got wiped out.

This all took a couple months after work but sure was nice doing it in a climate controlled garage with concrete floors (as opposed to ranch dirt), toolbox close by and a big compressor. I have a much better understanding of the machine and could likely handle a larger repair as needed at the ranch.

It was like Christmas morning when the transporter delivered from my house to our exit.

Nice tractor....I used to driver that stuff all day....when I was a kid...(20 to 23)......love those machines...

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Wash, are you going to put up a metal building and lean-to? That's all I would need, I could live in the shop. [emoji2]

What are you using to set grades? I like a rotating laser, for when the wife's not in the mood. [emoji3]

wash11

Reaction score
So once you move out there permanently are you cutting off completely ties from the outside world? No TV no internet??

There is a misconception about "off grid" living. Some immediately picture the crotchety old hermit that wants to be left alone or the guy that drops out of society because people didn't find his tin foil hat to be fashionable.

For us and many others, off grid simply means that we are not dependent on anyone but ourselves for power, heat, water or food. TV? It's been years since we've had it, I can't imagine that changing. I'm a never say never guy. If Amy suddenly came to me and said she wanted satellite TV you can bet I'd make sure she had it. We really don't miss it and rarely have time to sit in front of one so it's pretty unlikely.

My internet will be limited to whatever my Verizon hot spot can provide along with a 12 volt Wilson booster. Some days it is very fast, some days it's like dial up. For me, to live this lifestyle to its full potential, the internet will be vital. We don't live in a world where skills like these are passed on from generation to generation anymore. With exception of some of the old timers here, many of our parents and grand parents were pretty far removed from growing or raising our own food and the knowledge that comes with food preparation in changing seasons. For me, the internet has helped overcome that gap to a point that I am teaching some of these skills to my folks.

Over the last few years I have scoured garage sales and thrift stores for old cookbooks, farm and garden books (pre-1950), gunsmithing or anything related to basic homesteading skills. I really like the way an old book feels and smells but it also serves to bridge this weird disconnect from the generations that would hand down important skills. It's a sizable reference collection at this point which is comforting but it can't beat the speed and efficiency of the internet.

Fence construction? Setting well pumps? Building solar systems? Making compost? Repairing or maintaining equipment? The internet has helped me to be self reliant in all these areas and more.

Our long standing dream has been to raise and direct market beef, pork and chicken in a beyond organic fashion. Last week I pre-sold 7 steers in 30 hours just from a picture of a hamburger- on a internet boating forum. To ignore the power of the internet and how it can help my family live the life we want at the end of a dirt road would just be silly.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
JD 310 is an excellent backhoe. Very heads up buying one with 4x4 too.
I'm not a big fan of extedahoes, but I can definitely see the benefit in your case for reaching stuff such as setting that 20' stick of 6" casing. [emoji106]

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Rent a Cat before you buy a Bobcat. The controls fold in your lap with the backhoe attachment instead of getting out of cab and sitting on another seat with the Bobcat. My little machine is great for the city.

I have been following your thread on Glamis Dunes since the start.

Sweet, Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea there was an excavator attachment available.

Brian

wash11

Reaction score
Now that we had a solid plan it was time to begin the very long process of clearing trees. I had trouble with this part. Some of the trees are a couple hundred years old with lots of character including several that have been struck by lightening and somehow lived. Since we are on a hillside for the most part it was necessary to cut and fill the pads we wanted so we were left with no choice. We made the best of it by bucking out as much firewood as we could from the trees coming down, saved straight pieces for fence posts and other projects and ran the rest through a Vermeer chipper shredder that would eventually be mixed with manure and beer mash to compost down to much needed topsoil. We cleared about 3 acres in 6 weeks including processing everything that came down and pulling the stumps.

wash11

Reaction score
After starting our first garden in Havasu we quickly realized how expensive buying Miracle Grow soil by the bag would get so we started composting yard waste and kitchen scraps with pretty good results. The more we made the better the garden did. At first, compost and topsoil don't seem too exciting but when you consider the foundation for everything we want to do starts here- it's kind of a big deal.

Fast forward a few years and now we make it on a much larger scale. We clean out any neighbors corrals or stalls and pack it back to our place where it gets mixed with wood chips and a little beer mash to get it heated up pretty quick (beer mash is full of live beneficial bacteria). Amy tries to turn it everyday with the backhoe and keep the moisture just right. The best we've done so far is 15 yards in 25 days. It has to heat over 140 for awhile to kill any grass and weed seeds but you have to be careful not to go over 160 too long or it will start to kill of the microbes that are working hard to break it down.

wash11

Reaction score
Once we had the areas cleared and we had saved up enough money, it was time to bring the big guns in. A friend introduced me to a guy that owns a BIG dirt works company. He drove up to check out what we were doing and wanted to be a part of it right away. He made me a deal I couldn't refuse in exchange for help setting his well pump and doing his solar for it after seeing what we had done.

Transport on a 80,000 pound machine is expensive. There's no way around it. To justify the cost we came up with three projects to spread it out on. House pad, barn/shop pad and the pond. A few days later this showed up at the bottom of our hill.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
That. Is. Bad. Ass.

Once we had the areas cleared and we had saved up enough money, it was time to bring the big guns in. A friend introduced me to a guy that owns a BIG dirt works company. He drove up to check out what we were doing and wanted to be a part of it right away. He made me a deal I couldn't refuse in exchange for help setting his well pump and doing his solar for it after seeing what we had done.

Transport on a 80,000 pound machine is expensive. There's no way around it. To justify the cost we came up with three projects to spread it out on. House pad, barn/shop pad and the pond. A few days later this showed up at the bottom of our hill.

wash11

Reaction score
This is where I start to suck at taking pictures. A D8 moves so much material in a short amount of time, I was on the run with the fire hose trying to keep moisture in it pretty much the whole time it was running. There rarely was any opportunity for pictures of the process itself. Here's the best I have of pad #1.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Damn Wash, you have a good chunk of money invested from what you posted. Bringing in and renting that 8 is not small potatoes.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
This is where I start to suck at taking pictures. A D8 moves so much material in a short amount of time, I was on the run with the fire hose trying to keep moisture in it pretty much the whole time it was running. There rarely was any opportunity for pictures of the process itself. Here's the best I have of pad #1.

That last picture is simply amazing...you have a nice eye with the camera as well.

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
What a cool thread!

Very impressive Wash! Following your dreams:thumbsup

wash11

Reaction score
The pond is yet another monster that I underestimated. To build it correctly requires a "keyway", we went 5' deep by 5'ish wide compacted with clean clay. This locks the water in. Luckily, we have a very high clay content in our topsoil. Unfortunately, there is just as much rock to go with it. I am very fortunate to have a friend with an excavation business that encourages me to haul his stuff up and put it to work between jobs. He won't take any money so I have our fleet mechanic come up and fix whatever needs fixing or fix and service myself. In other words, he gets them back in better shape than when I got them. If you know what it takes to keep these things running you know it's an investment on my part but still way less than renting equipment.

He sent his screen and loader up so we could make clean clay for the keyway and the pond liner itself. We started with free handing the keyway with pink paint and started digging. My buddy Dan spent countless hours on the backhoe with his dog while I screened clean dirt and started compacting the keyway. All together it was 276' long.

We used a remote control trench compacter on the clay. It basically turns it into brown concrete when you do it in 5" lifts.

It was an insane amount of work just to bring the pond site back to its' original grade. My biggest fear is a leaky pond so we didn't even consider short cutting this process.

Scott E

Reaction score
Wow! So awesome to see this being done. Lots of work but has to be very satisfying. Looking forward to the continued updates.

wash11

Reaction score
Next up was running the overflow/irrigation pipe through the side of the pond. It is 2" pipe that will be pre-set to the level we want and just stay open. In a big rain event it will just start running out to swales that direct the water to trees below. Those trees will also have overflows built into those swales so the water continues on it's natural path over the bluff. There is a "T" in the pipe that will have flex hose to we can irrigate from the top or bottom of the pond to regulate temperature as needed. The water coming in is from those dark green storage tanks up top with water temps coming out around 85 degrees in the summer.

We built our own anti-seep collar to stop the water from following the pipe out and weakening the dam wall.

wash11

Reaction score
Now it was time to let the dozer operator do his thing. Pics will be slim here too as it was much of the same. Sculpt a little, then compact. Over and over and over and over......... I really wish I had more pictures of this but I was on the run with water the entire time he was running and Amy only got a couple phone pictures.

Amy standing in the completed pond shell. At this point it still needs 20 to 24" of clay brought in and compacted.

wash11

Reaction score
Erosion is a big issue coming into winter so we had to jump on laying dirt and topsoil down on the outside of the pond so we could plant seed that would build fast roots before the first snow. After talking with several seed companies we found one in Utah that did a custom mix based on our needs and soil conditions.

Next we started spreading the compost we had been making on top of the dirt we laid down and seeded it right away.

Within a week it started to come up pretty strong.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
This is like the gift that keeps on giving. Amazing.....amazing.....amazing. :thumbsup

It is. His kids will gift it to their kids and their kids etc... It's a big reason we do this. To leave something for our kids. :thumbsup

I've been trying to get a pond put in since we bought our place. It's just too steep and the few places I could pull it off don't have the foundation to support it..:grumble: All those fence posts made my shoulders hurt all over again. I wouldn't be upset if I never pound another t-post again... lol.. You've done a great job with your place. Got the infrastructure in place before you moved in. I moved in as we built and it seems like everything is 75% finished. :p

waterhorse

Reaction score
Very nice work! That pond is perfect, is the house site close to the pond?

wash11

Reaction score
I needed to be wrapped up with my projects by Thanksgiving so my dad came up for 5 days to help me out. At 70, he can work circles around guys half his age. After 15 minutes of instruction he was off and running, screening material for the pond. He had zero experience with equipment before this, much like myself. I think I get my "no fear" for new things from him. It is also the first time I can remember getting to spend a week with just the two of us. The campfire talks over beers at the end of the day were about as perfect as your gonna get. That week will be fresh in my mind for years to come.

We got as far as we could before Thanksgiving then started transporting equipment back to town before the snow made it tough to get out. Come spring we have 24 tons of Bentonite clay coming from the Midwest to mix in with good dirt to form the final clay layer that should make the pond absolutely water tight. That will be a pretty big job so we'll hit the ground running this spring.

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
We got as far as we could before Thanksgiving then started transporting equipment back to town before the snow made it tough to get out. Come spring we have 24 tons of Bentonite clay coming from the Midwest to mix in with good dirt to form the final clay layer that should make the pond absolutely water tight. That will be a pretty big job so we'll hit the ground running this spring.

Whoa....I have to wait until spring for the next chapter? :D Really cool story...

wash11

Reaction score
Whoa....I have to wait until spring for the next chapter? :D Really cool story...

For an update on the pond, yes. That's only one piece of the work in progress. I still have a bunch more content, I haven't even told the story of making a rookie mistake which ended up with a hole in the water line 298 feet down in the ground. :D

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
For an update on the pond, yes. That's only one piece of the work in progress. I still have a bunch more content, I haven't even told the story of making a rookie mistake which ended up with a hole in the water line 298 feet down in the ground. :D

Thank god...now I feel better. :thumbsup:)

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Why not a vinyl or rubber liner for the pond?

FlatNv

Reaction score
dam impressive ;)...:thumbsup
curious how is your water rights handled in Az? pretty familiar in rural Nv and S.Utah. just the cost of water would be ridiculous in Nv.

I really appreciate the time into the thread, got the land/water/power/building.. its just a huge leap...congrats on going for it!!

TLAW719

Reaction score
I wish I were closer. I am not scared of hard work. I have always said I was born a country boy stuck in the city.

Yes sir. I couldn't agree with this more for myself. My family comes from the country. Unfortunately I live here lol.

That is awesome. I've run a D8 before. It's legit. Running equipment period is a ton of fun.

This thread just keeps getting better and better. Thanks for the Christmas gift Wash. :thumbsup

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Why not a vinyl or rubber liner for the pond?

Clay lining will last hundreds of years would be my guess, vinyl or rubber will break down over time, could be pierced etc...

I watched this really bitchen documentary about the canal systems in England, they lined them with clay back in the late 1700's when the built them. These canals pre-date railroads and are still in use today, although not for shipping trade anymore, mainly just recreation at this point.

wash11

Reaction score
Spring 2015. It's time to fire up the water system after a cold winter. I drained all the lines to be safe as we didn't need any water for those colder months. I hike up to the control box at the solar panels and turn it on. Everything fires right up and indicates it's pumping. As I'm shutting the door I notice that the watts are climbing above the usual 620 it reads. It's a 1000 watt array, oversized on purpose to give us max pumping on even a overcast day. As it quickly hits the high 700's I realize the problem and reach to shut it off. Boom, immediately drops to 120 watts. Oh boy.

I completely forgot to open the main system valve at the well. It dead head pumped for about 45 seconds before the water found a new route. Remember back when I said, setting the pump pushed me right to my physical limits? That was with gravity working with me and no water weight in the 300' of water line.

Fail safe number one worked great. I had 10,000 gallons of water in the tanks and no worries of running out anytime soon. This gave me plenty of time to scratch my head.

My buddy Dan, the same guy that fabricated the control box at the solar array was called on again to build me something. I told him I'd like to find a way to fix a old semi truck wheel I had to something that would allow me to pull the pump and have the line ride on the wheel so I could simply walk backward with it to make the needed repairs. And, since he's the smartest guy I know, I left it up to him to figure out the details. This is what he came back with.

I shit you not, the whole repair took 15 minutes. It blew right above the pump so I just shortened the line a couple feet and dropped it back in (well, we did stop for a beer so maybe a little longer). We were prepared to mess with that thing half a day but the fixture worked so perfect that two people just walked up the road holding the water line while a few others walked with it to keep if off the ground. The pump now sits in 73 feet of water instead of 75 feet.

I cut the bad part out and laid it on top of the pump controller so I have to look at my screw up every time I turn the pump on:D