WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Going off the grid, our family story.

wash11

Reaction score
2017 was fast approaching. Our youngest daughter was set to transfer to NAU/Flagstaff and the sale of our business was to close the same day. We had spent several years purging "stuff" in anticipation for this move. What once was a life in a 3500sq ft house with a 1200sq ft garage and 2 storage units was now going to fit in one 40' storage container. Take a minute to wrap your head around that.

This wasn't "tidying up a bit". This was the last major transformation before being firmly planted in a simpler life. The things we kept had real meaning or usefulness so we opted to spend a few extra bucks on a "one trip", almost new container. Guaranteed to be wind and water tight. After shopping around, we made a deal on one just South of Kingman which included delivery to our place.

We spent a day building up a pad so water would drain away during big rain storms.

Other than being too tall to easily fit under our front gate, delivery went smooth and the driver was able to set it right where we wanted without us having to drag it around.

Surprisingly, we only filled 2/3rds of the container with 1/3 of that being a stock of dry goods and canned foods that we'll go through on a regular basis. Once the momentum of purging and selling stuff kicks in, it goes pretty fast. Minus tools and equipment, all our worldly possessions, including stuff saved for the house when we finish it, fit in a 25'x8' space with room to walk down the center. It's the first time I can remember not being owned by a bunch of "things". It's pretty fantastic.

December 2016 was a rough month all around. We were already behind schedule due to weather setbacks then 1st of December we got a call that Amy's dad was in the hospital in Great Falls, Montana with some complications. In an hour, we had the truck packed and hit the road at 11pm and drove straight through arriving at 7pm the following day. Within 4 or 5 days he had turned it around and was set to be released so we headed back to Arizona. 3 days later, the same call again so we hit the road once more. We lost him right before Christmas and didn't feel right leaving mom to spend her first Christmas alone after 50+ years of marriage so Amy and I spent the holidays in a small Northern Montana town called Cut Bank getting ma settled. Literally a "One stop light town"

This would also be the first time in our kids lives that we have not been together for the holidays. Our youngest daughter handled the transfer to Flagstaff/NAU on her own including housing (not bad for a 17 year old) all we had to do was come home and help her move her stuff. Our oldest daughter coordinated getting our son from ASU, youngest daughter from NAU and packed everyone to my folks in Hacienda Heights for Christmas so they would all be together.

To say December was stressful on many levels is a gross understatement.

We were basically gone for a month. At this point, winter had showed up at the ranch in a big way. Everything was covered in snow.

So, with a foot of snow on the ground and muddy roads we made the final move.

One final project to make life with 2 cats in a trailer more pleasant was a venting system for the catboxes. I had planned on making this a much nicer install but was just out of time. We used 4" SDR 35 pipe left over from the septic install to pull the dust and smell from right above the catboxes and routed through trailer to the opposite side of where we grill and eat outdoors. A simple piece of plywood separates the cat area from batteries and anything solar related.

I wanted a 12 volt exhaust fan so I could wire direct to the batteries without needing to run the inverter all the time. A standard boat bilge blower seemed to be the right fit for the ducting idea and at a total draw of 2.5 amps would be easy enough on the battery power if I ran it 24/7. Right out of the box we gave it some power and I was instantly reminded how noisy these blowers are and how much vibration they make. We changed up the design a bit to compensate. We isolated the blower with flex hose and screwed it to a chunk of railroad tie, not connected to the trailer in any way. Then ordered a 12 volt speed control from ebay. This allows us to adjust the fan speed until we found the right combination of air movement, noise and power consumption. We've got it down to @1 amp and there is zero cat box smell in the trailer. An added bonus is the system draws heated air from inside to the catbox area and keeps them a bit more comfortable while doing business.

wash11

Reaction score
We are at the tail end of our first 2 months of full time RV living off the grid. Solar has been flawless only needing a bump from the little Honda genie a few times after several gloomy days straight. Less than 3 gallons of gas used in 2 months. Since we don't have a woodstove, our main heat source is the propane furnace which has burned right at $150 per month in propane. We have an easy 7 months of the year that heaters aren't needed so I wouldn't consider this a high fixed expense.

This unusually wet/snowy winter has slowed our progress down to a crawl but we stay busy with daily chores required to live this way. Like keeping snow off the roof and more importantly, the solar panels.

The cows still have to be worked. Mineral supplements etc and waters checked even when the roads are shit. Some days it's frozen and easy, others its a muddy mess and takes all day.

As many of you know, this adventure has morphed into a business in the last year. Financially speaking, we'll never sleigh the big bucks doing this but it's got to be obvious by now that money isn't our great motivator. Being trapped by mud and snow has given me the time to work on the business ends of things including the website.

http://fortrockfarms.com/

We're off to a good start but not even to the halfway point of where we want to be. Everything you've seen up to now has been a part time effort. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish now that we are here full time with our old life completely behind us. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

wash11

Reaction score
Condolences to all of you on your Pops passing. RIP!

Thanks Tom. It really was best case scenario. He was 80 and functioning at 100% right up till the first hospital visit. He hadn't been to a doctor since 1980 something and had a good run. He was awake and coherent and got to make his own choices. His body was shutting down and he chose to let it happen. The whole family was there the last 2 days and he passed peacefully with all of us holding onto a part of him. We all had the opportunity to sit and talk with him one on one for as long as we needed as well. Not many people get to say goodbyes like that. If I had a choice, this is how I would go too.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Thanks Tom. It really was best case scenario. He was 80 and functioning at 100% right up till the first hospital visit. He hadn't been to a doctor since 1980 something and had a good run. He was awake and coherent and got to make his own choices. His body was shutting down and he chose to let it happen. The whole family was there the last 2 days and he passed peacefully with all of us holding onto a part of him. We all had the opportunity to sit and talk with him one on one for as long as we needed as well. Not many people get to say goodbyes like that. If I had a choice, this is how I would go too.

Almost exactly how my pops went out. He was a lifer military man and left us on July 4th. We were all there and it was the same scenario you described. I always thought that date was fitting for him and his service to our country. We all had the opportunity to say good bye.

I have one brother that passed in a similar way. Again, we all had time to say our good byes.

RIP Dad and Bud!

JM21

Reaction score

This thread delivers on so many levels. I always love the updates & RD is right, you should have been a writer. And I am so jealous of your set up!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
By the way....got some pork ribs slow cooking for dinner tonight. Can't wait to taste those suckas!

Gonna eat some good ol' Mac Cheese along with them and a few BL's

Taboma

Reaction score
Hey Joel,

One of our neighbors up here at SVR was having a new cargo storage container delivered a couple of days ago. Most likely from the same company you used in Kingman ??
It was a late delivery and the driver got lost and ended up on a bad stretch of Trap Springs road, then it got dark :eek No way to communicate his situation or condition, he ended up spending the night in the truck --- chilly I suspect :eek
Another neighbor found him when she was leaving for work the following morning, got him to a phone, provided directions, and eventually he found the correct parcel and got the container off and was out of there :thumbsup
I suspect similar to your area, there's no end to the "Lost" stories involving delivery drivers :skull

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Just got caught up on this thread. Sorry to here about Amy's dad. My condolences to you all. This is such a great thread. Joel let me know the next time you guys are in Chino or Prescott and we'll get together for lunch or dinner. I will shoot you a pm with my #.

Mark

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Congrats on all your acomplishments sir.
My niece just got married abd the bought 325 acres outside of Billings Mt. Way off grid. She tells me 1st project is well water. I just forwarded her this thread.
You should write a book!
Thanks and best of luck

Jim

Spudsbud

Reaction score
& Dave, this gets my vote for best story/helicopter ride!

wash11

Reaction score
I have learned to enjoy the occasional bad weather days and the break that comes with them. The wind is blowing a steady 30 mph right now so typing out an update indoors seems like the right thing to do.

Almost 6 months into living off the grid full time and we have zero regrets. Our tiny trailer is surprisingly comfortable for two people and two cats but a little cramped for company. Thankfully, Spring showed up and we're back to outdoor living 90% of the time with plenty of room for visitors.
It has been months now since we've had to run our little generator as our solar system has an abundance of power and the warmer temps have cut the propane usage considerably, less than $60.00 last month. Our beef and pork deliveries have taken us on overnight trips a couple times now and we use the money saved to upgrade to a nice hotel room with a big bathtub for Amy. It's funny how the little things can put a smile on your face.

Mother Nature finally started cooperating with us so we could get to work on the garden project. Our wish list for a garden was: Large enough to not outgrow anytime soon, usable space easy to navigate tractors and implements through, deer and elk proof with enough deterrents for other critters as well and no shortage of available water lines/valves/timers etc to automate large projects.

This will feed and entertain us the rest of our lives. Most of our daily activities will center around the garden and it will be the intermediate view from the house before looking out to the valley below so there was no budget set and no expense spared. Boy did it get out of hand quick.

The spot we chose is West of the house and has a nice slope downhill toward the bluff followed by a kick ass view below. It was also the heaviest treed area of the property with very little rock to fight but heavy clay that will need to be amended with the compost we make. Total fence length is about 850' not including gates. Total size is about 40,000sq ft so just under an acre. Our 5th wheel sits where the salad and herb gardens will eventually go but for now we have plenty of space for those elsewhere. Here is a satellite view before we got started removing trees. The white lines represent a natural 2' drop in elevation through that area which gave us the slope we wanted.

This was what it looked like the day before we started. This is facing West, actually a little Northwest but you can see we had our work cut out for us tree wise.

After servicing chain saws and hooking up the chipper to Lucy we started cutting. And we cut. And cut. And cut. Amy would clear downed branches and run them through the chipper so I could keep going. We trade labor back and forth with some of our closest neighbors and were fortunate enough to have them up a couple days to help. In all it took 3 solid weeks to process all the trees plus remove the stumps from our future garden area. Huge load of wood chips for compost and animal bedding along with several cords of great firewood plus more fence posts make the most out of clearing trees.

You can start to see some of the view opening up in this picture.

Here's the piles of goodies we ended up with:

Plucking stumps for days!

Hauled them all to the main ranch gut pile to burn. This is Amy standing in the mess of stumps.

It was time to bring our favorite dirt guy in to shape the garden. I always enjoy watching him work this thing. I swear he could scoot a dime around a parking lot without ever scraping asphalt.

wash11

Reaction score
Even though this guy has grown to be one of our best friends over the past couple years and we trust him completely, this pic still had Amy shitting her pants. She couldn't watch. By the way, he barely slowed down to work around the hydrant.

Hauled in some material to build a pad for Amys chicken coop.

He did the whole thing by eye but we checked with a laser afterword and he was within 1/10th throughout the entire pad.

A picture of my cute wife taking a picture of her dream garden coming alive. If you guys could see the way she looks out across this dirt........................

Sandlord

Reaction score
I cant say enough how happy I am and proud of all you and Amy are doing. I'll be making a trip to Wickenburg sometime in the next week or 2 and will make the extra drive to come up and see you. Besides, I need to run that Powerstroke 6.0 since its running so good now. I hear there are some pics of the new chicken coop floating around...;)

wash11

Reaction score
To be deer and elk proof the magic number is 8'. That's a BIG fence that requires a stout frame. We bought 3000 feet of schedule 80 2 3/8" oil pipe to build the frame with. Each stick is 30ish feet long and weighs about 150lbs. I dropped some fat and gained some muscle for sure while working with this stuff. This is where friends and neighbors come together in kind of a old school "Barn Raising" fashion. Some jobs are just too big for two people. Over the years Amy and I have put our time in at other ranches helping and learning so it was no surprise to have help with the big stuff on her garden.

Here we are loading up with the help of our soon to be neighborhood milk cow, "Miss Belle".

Fast forward after everything was laid out and pipe cut for uprights (which is a job in itself). We thought about using a 6" auger to cement the posts in place before we were introduced to a friend of a friend that has a set up for pounding these posts in the ground. Cleaner, wayyyyy faster and stronger when done. Money well spent.

wash11

Reaction score
Next up was laying out the water system and installing before the top rails went on the fence frame.

This is the end of the run from the last water line project. It was easy to dig up and tap into now that we've got the design figured out better.

Amy climbed in the backhoe bucket to get a pano pic of the whole thing laid out before I did the dig. All together it's 450' of 2" main line with 6 frost free valves, 6 irrigation boxes and conduit run to every post to eventually pull wire and power timers/valves etc.

Hope this picture explains why we waited to do the top rail.

wash11

Reaction score
As with anything, you get better/smarter with experience. I'm building most of the plumbing above ground these days. Working in trenches isn't as glamorous as it might seem.

End of the line and ready to tie in (outside the fence) if we want water lower on the property.

Shading the lines with river sand makes a good date day.

wash11

Reaction score
In case you're asking yourself, "Is a 8' fence really necessary?". These are our regular visitors. Sorry for the crappy pic. It was taken through the tinted glass of our dining room window.

The main gate will be one piece, 20' wide and 8' tall. It's gonna be heavy so we needed something crazy big to attach it to. These are 3 retired acetylene tanks welded together for each post. Stupid thick and silly heavy. I sure hope I never run out of talent and crash into them.

First top rail welded in.

More toprail:

There's just something about having a frozen shot of Patron and some Coors Lights at the end of a long day with your pals.

wash11

Reaction score
A lot of thought went to angles and entrance placement. This is the view you drive up to as you reach the house pad. In pictures all the mechanical end of what we are doing might look a little goofy but the first time you drive in you kind of "get it".

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I love the fact that you had the idea to leave a single tree and frame it in the entrance! :thumbup:

As always, I am amazed at the amount of planning and care you both have taken to learn all these new skills and implement them into your new chosen life style! :)

Thanks for sharing your adventure....;)

wash11

Reaction score
RD text and said he could use some help at Desert Storm. Honestly, his timing couldn't have been better. We were tired/sore and about a week away from burnout. I asked Amy if she wanted a break to go work the RDP booth on Thursday. "YESSSS!!!!" was her answer. We've decided the timing to be perfect and plan to do the whole week next year after going like hell for a couple months straight.

Back at it.

This fencing comes in 330' rolls. 8' tall and is 12.5 gauge material. Each roll is over 400lbs. It's just ridiculous to work with by hand like we've done with other stuff. My buddy built a jig to hold it, roll it and stretch it without killing us. Lifesaver.

All hands on deck to lay it in right.

It seems like all we've been doing is tying straps for days. 12 gauge ties will beat the shit out of your fingers by the way.

Edit to add a better shot of the fixture he built.

wash11

Reaction score
These pics bring you up to date on the fence. Still have about 300' to go plus build and hang the gates.

We left a 16' wide service driveway for propane delivery and just general access once the house is blocking that area.

Really happy with how the fence blends with everything. The thought of 8' just seemed like it was going to an eyesore. No doubt, it's a monster up close but the area inside is large enough to kind of soften it visually.

Just a little backfilling left to do then a final scrape/grade.

I think if we had tried cutting corners to save money we would have a giant reminder of how not to do a huge garden fence. This has been one of the more expensive and labor intensive projects we've done but if all goes well Amy and I will spend the next 40 or 50 years inside that fence.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
I can not say how impressive your adventure is, it makes us all realize what WE could do if we had half your desire and enthusiasm. Some day I look forward to meeting you. I know we spoke once on the phone, but well done my friend. :thumbup:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I can not say how impressive your adventure is, it makes us all realize what WE could do if we had half your desire and enthusiasm. Some day I look forward to meeting you. I know we spoke once on the phone, but well done my friend. :thumbup:

He was in the booth when you stopped by at DS Andy.

buck35

Reaction score
P
These pics bring you up to date on the fence. Still have about 300' to go plus build and hang the gates.

We left a 16' wide service driveway for propane delivery and just general access once the house is blocking that area.

Really happy with how the fence blends with everything. The thought of 8' just seemed like it was going to an eyesore. No doubt, it's a monster up close but the area inside is large enough to kind of soften it visually.

Just a little backfilling left to do then a final scrape/grade.

I think if we had tried cutting corners to save money we would have a giant reminder of how not to do a huge garden fence. This has been one of the more expensive and labor intensive projects we've done but if all goes well Amy and I will spend the next 40 or 50 years inside that fence.
How did you cope the post tops ? Fantastic job and looks like a crazy amount of work.:thumbsup

BasilHayden

Reaction score
He was in the booth when you stopped by at DS Andy.

LOL, I realize that now, but had no idea they were slinging your swag. Everyone was working their asses off so I tried to get out of the way.

wash11

Reaction score
I kind of figured that , but thats a lot of torcing from a ladder. Thought maybe something trick I've never seen.:thumbup:

Use this handy little tool to mark your cope with soap stone then cut your shape with a plasma cutter for minimal grinding or filling. But yeah, it's a lot of up and down the ladder. It's a lot of work but the finished product is bitchin.

Havasteve

Reaction score
I bought beef from Joel and Amy last year and still have some left. I decided to grind up a bunch and make sausage.

Its cured and apple wood smoked. I had to add a dunch of fat. It came out nice and juicy. Very beefy.

These go perfect with the delicious eggs I get from them.

Amy I'll have some waiting for you when you drop off eggs.

You two are awesome. Thanks

Heres a great how to make sausage website; http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

buck35

Reaction score
Use this handy little tool to mark your cope with soap stone then cut your shape with a plasma cutter for minimal grinding or filling. But yeah, it's a lot of up and down the ladder. It's a lot of work but the finished product is bitchin.

Yeah, I was looking at the number of posts due to the size of the area and thinking , holy crap!!! Thats a ton of cutting , not to mention the follow up welds. Nice work!:thumbsup

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You cut those semi circles by hand up on the ladder?

Just for sheer stupid questions sake.. Why wouldn't you do that when they were all on the ground?

RD

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score

Just for sheer stupid questions sake.. Why wouldn't you do that when they were all on the ground?

RD

Way too hard to make sure the notch is facing the exact way as well as setting the height exactly, all while making sure the pipe is straight and plum to the others. They are also using a hydraulic hammer to set the poles which would harm the notch. Doing after the pipe is set they can cut them all down to the exact height as well as cut the notch at that time.

wash11

Reaction score

RD

You would mushroom the cope when pounding into the ground. Plus, the cope has to be the exact height and direction to make the top rail look good. Hard to control all that before hand. Seems like you guys get how much work this is!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Way too hard to make sure the notch is facing the exact way as well as setting the height exactly, all while making sure the pipe is straight and plum to the others. They are also using a hydraulic hammer to set the poles which would harm the notch. Doing after the pipe is set they can cut them all down to the exact height as well as cut the notch at that time.

Gotcha..

buck35

Reaction score
You would mushroom the cope when pounding into the ground. Plus, the cope has to be the exact height and direction to make the top rail look good. Hard to control all that before hand. Seems like you guys get how much work this is!

I got it right away, hence the question. Very cool, and no easy task.
I used an excavator with a hydraulic compacter to fence a 40 acre orchard pounding wood posts, fuggin scary trying to not kill anyone holding the post.:eek