WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Going to a shorty = changing props ?

farmo83

Reaction score
So if I put a short on my boat and change nothing else, do I need to go up a size on prop ?

Trash

Reaction score
So if I put a short on my boat and change nothing else, do I need to go up a size on prop ?

Potentially, or prop design (i.e. Bravo 1 to something else).

Having said that I would start out with your current prop and go from there, otherwise you would be chasing variables.

96motorhead

Reaction score
When does running a shorter drive improve performance? How would someone determine if a shorty drive would help their boat?

Croz

Reaction score
Is a shorty drive like the imco ones with the raw metal look? I assume they reduce drag, if so how much? Worth it to do after a repower?

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
It has to do with better leverage, more than the different shape reducing drag. It has less drag because there's less drive in the water.

farmo83

Reaction score
So I have an RT and have been told by Lee and BD marine that a shorty would really wake my boat up performance wise. I've been nervous as in the past I've read about a shorty can cause planning issues and I enjoy pulling skiers, tubers, etc and didn't want to sacrifice here as this is where most of my time is spent as opposed to a few blast at WOT. After talking to BD he advised that the drive is set really deep in the RT and the hull could actually use a -3 or 4 inch shorty drive, so a -2 should be fine. Also that pulling skiers would not be an issue at all.

I get it having less drag and I believe it has better leverage as I've read multiple places that it does, I just don't get conceptually as to add leverage I would think you would need to lengthen something I.E. using a longer wrench to add leverage to loosen a bolt.

96motorhead

Reaction score
It sounds like you just need to try a shorter drive to see what it does. I've been researching shorter drives a lot lately and what I've found is you usually have to use a 4 or 5 blade prop and you need a pressure regulator because the short drives produce an average of 15psi more water pressure than a stock mercruiser drive. I also read that if you can run a 3 blade prop and if your boat doesn't cavitate at all then you can usually run a -2 drive. I don't know how true this information is, I just found it from looking online during some spare time.