WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Going to Canada with a DUI

Mrhavasu

Reaction score
Anyone visit Canada with a DUI? I am reading that they can deny you entry at the border. Also read that
the best way may be to apply for a Temporary resident work permit thru a immigration attorney. Have a temp
job I need to do there. Can anyone shed any light this?
Thanks in advance.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
There is a process...you need to google what you need. IF it's recent...good fucking luck. If its 10 years ago you can likely get in but will be barred from driving in country.

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
I watched the nightmare my dad had to go through to get in. Had to go through a ton of paperwork and hire an attorney. And then couldn’t drive when there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I had a friend that went there a long time ago with a DUI. The old 30 years ago.....parked, key in the ignition, radio on, sleeping off the alcohol and a cop looks in and he is booked on a DUI. Entering Canada was not an issue but when the police pulled him aside and wasted several hours before they let him go and told him to never come back. He always says that Canada will gladly allow people on drugs but drunk drivers Are looked at a mass murderer.

Taboma

Reaction score
That's interesting info, never heard of that.
When we did a Alaskan inner passage cruise several years ago, we entered Canada by Cruise charter Bus, they took our forms we'd filled out, eyeballed us sitting in the bus, seemed more of a formality than any real inspection. Maybe they checked our passports, I know we had them, but don't recall really.
Then we boarded the cruise and waved bye bye Vancouver.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
After 10 years you can apply to be allowed in. Google it, there’s plenty of info on the web. They are straight up serious about Americans with DUI’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishSniper

Reaction score
Anyone visit Canada with a DUI? I am reading that they can deny you entry at the border. Also read that
the best way may be to apply for a Temporary resident work permit thru a immigration attorney. Have a temp
Thanks in advance.
They take it pretty serious I think. Went to a fishing lodge up there and we were supposed to have a 3rd on the boat he never arrived due to getting turned around upon landing and attempting to clear customs in Vancouver and it was an old DUI we were told.

Taboma

Reaction score
What about indecent exposure ? Asking for a friend 🥴 😬
Joking, but more to the point of asking, is this a DUI thing or other crime related, like shoplifting or possession of pot etc. ?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
When we did a Alaskan inner passage cruise several years ago, we entered Canada by Cruise charter Bus, they took our forms we'd filled out, eyeballed us sitting in the bus, seemed more of a formality than any real inspection. Maybe they checked our passports, I know we had them, but don't recall really.

My friend was on a cruise. Canadians were more than happy to take every penny that he spent while in Canada. Then when he was getting off the ship that is where they nabbed him and the family.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Flew in with a group of 14 on the way to Whistler. Three had DUIs (all within 10yrs). All had to pay a $200-$300 fee to gain one-time access.

They take it seriously.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
We did a stop in Vancouver via an Alaskan cruise July 2019. Got off the ship, wandered around for a few hours. Don’t recall DUI nazis jamming us up. Granted I’ve never had a DUI so maybe my cruise ship card relayed that info to the Mounties. 🤷‍♂️

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Canada doesn’t like imported American labor.

And the work permit process is tedious.

But if you don’t have a permit, do not under any circumstances mention that you’re going there to work.

In my former life, when we shot commercials and whatnot in Canada, it was a huge PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

outboard_256

Reaction score
I have been a couple times but my dui is classified as a wet reckless so maybe that's why I was ok.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I think it’s easier for someone south of the border to get into the United States with no ID then for an American with papers to get into Canada.

If you have a Lot of tattoos or look the slightest bit sketchy, or they just don’t like the way you look they will fuck with you.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Our penalties are similar to most states. Don't know why they are Nazi's at the border for it. But they are. I get hassled going into the states all the time. Guess a wanted criminal has the same name and my passport triggers alarms. Get hauled in and it takes about 30 minutes to clear it up.

boblins

Reaction score
US has same issues for Canadians if they cross with a DUI in their past. Can take some serious time and dollars to resolve, but it can be done permanently to solve the issue going to the US and suspect that a similar process is available for those coming to Canada. Working in either country without proper documentation/permits is a definite no no and can have pretty serious repercussions as well.

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
Thanks in advance.
Where are you going? Maybe we can go for a beer 🤣

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I hate to drop my Don't Care on this but...Don't Care. I drink like a fish but NEVER drive drunk. Don't have to worry about it.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
How do they know you had a DUI? Haven't had one so I am ignorant on the subject.

dspracing

Reaction score
If you are going there to do any kind of work, be very careful. I got busted doing that once. I got deported with a mark on my record for 5 years. It was brutal. My coworker got banned for life!

if you want to know how to get in to do work without a work permit, lmk.

Icky

Reaction score
Had this issue with one of our guys earlier in the year, I never heard of it before. We just sent someone else, as it was easier than going through all the BS. We still have to have a invitation letter to go there due to the covid restrictions.

nameisbond

Reaction score
How do they know you had a DUI? Haven't had one so I am ignorant on the subject.

Canada and the US linked their criminal databases. Our police and border agents can search NCIC and the US counterparts can do the same with our databases.

Mrhavasu

Reaction score
If you are going there to do any kind of work, be very careful. I got busted doing that once. I got deported with a mark on my record for 5 years. It was brutal. My coworker got banned for life!

Its actually for my son who is a musician. We want to do it the right way, luckily we have time so we will apply for the permit.
Thanks

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Them hosers don't want any of you drunks to come over and drink all their Molsen and Labatts eh!!😂😂
Them hosers don't want any of you drunks to come over and drink all their Molsen and Labatts eh!!😂😂

Don't forget the Elsinore Beer eh???? 🤣 🤣 🤣
download-1.jpg

Mrhavasu

Reaction score
This is so crazy, I have friends that are from Canada, great people. But man they can drink and man do they!!
I was shocked to learn all this too.

DLC

Reaction score
So wait a minute….

Canada you need a special work permit / type of a visa…. Just to come Accross to work ….

We should try that with Mexico!

LoL

Oh that’s funny!!!!

rrrr

Reaction score

Back when IndyCar had a race at Honda's Twin Ring Motegi track near Utsunomiya (about 200 km north of Tokyo), all of the drivers, crew members, and race officials were issued work permits to enter the country. My passport was stamped as an "entertainer."

boblins

Reaction score
Surprised that most do not know that exactly the same thing happens to Canadians when they travel to the US, including the need for a visa in order to do any work.

bocco

Reaction score
I just read that this applies to Mexico as well. Does anyone know how expungement applies to either country? The wife got a DUI 8 years ago and we had it expunged a few years back.

Dalton

Reaction score
I just read that this applies to Mexico as well. Does anyone know how expungement applies to either country? The wife got a DUI 8 years ago and we had it expunged a few years back.

Driving into Mexico, I don't think they run you through any database. Flying they might, I suspect they don't care but could be totally wrong.....

Cobalt232

Reaction score
A few years ago, I had a few hours kill before a flight home from Detroit. I decided to go to Windsor for lunch and look around. I almost always bring my passport on trips anyway just in case so it was quick to go to Tim Hortons for lunch. After Timmies, I drove around Windsor for a bit and got the standard Detroit skyline photo from across the river. Going back into the US, at customs, I got the 3rd degree from the agent wondering why I only went to Canada for an hour. He said I fit the profile of a drug runner - rental car, guy alone, quick in and out of Canada, etc. I told him I just wanted to go to Tim Horton's. So, he started going through my stuff and saw an agenda for a conference I had been attending that week. He asked me specifically why I wasn't at some particular break-out session that was currently occurring (Uh, cause it doesn't pertain to what I do). He also quizzed me extensively as to why I had 2 different business cards with different company names. So off to the drug-sniffing dogs I went. I was just hoping no one left any drugs in that rental car...

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I went to BC and Alaska on motorcycles with my Dad a few years back. The Canadian border agents were total assholes. They were accusing my Dad and I of bringing weapons into Canada, they didn't believe our itinerary, thought were lying about everything. They then tore apart all of our luggage looking for guns, they found nothing. It was a tense ordeal to say the least. I felt bad for my Dad. I think a lot of Canadians don't like Americans and our 2nd amendment rights, at least that's what the Alaskan USA border agents said.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I had zero problems as a 16 year old crossing by my self with everything i owned in the car . I showed them my emancipation papers and off i went with a warning to look out for some kind of animal on the road . Very nice lady