WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Golden Retriever Puppy Wanted

FishSniper

Reaction score
My wife and I watched all the videos in the news article. He introduced himself to us as "Gabriel" and not Gustavo. We went to the Downey house and parked in the driveway right next to his silver Prius when we went to purchase our puppy on Sunday. He was a moderately smooth talker and seemed to have all of the right answers for us when we asked questions. I have a fantastic memory of the entire interaction, so let's hope I get added to the list of complainants. I will gladly appear in ANY court alongside my wife and children to testify against this POS.
I'm kinda wondering how he pulled this scam for so long. Did he have dogs he claimed were the parents onsite ? Or just these good looking pups ?

Backlash

Reaction score
I'm kinda wondering how he pulled this scam for so long. Did he have dogs he claimed were the parents onsite ? Or just these good looking pups ?

He had a male (Allegedly the father) on site and a few puppies to pick from. He told us the mother was his sister's dog and she was at her house nearby. It all seemed fairly legit at that moment. Looking back, we should have done more homework before pulling the trigger. It's hard to do that sometimes when the little pup is in your arms tugging at your heart. With your wife and kids standing there next to you doing the same, its damn near impossible. We were additional victims in this mess and it has cost us financially and emotionally.

Our vet just called and Bella didn't survive. The doctor sounded devastated on the phone as the hospital staff was trying all they could do to help. We had just started the plasma procedure this afternoon hoping it would help give Bella a chance, but no such luck.

I will compile some numbers when we get the information, but I can say this much. This week has been an emotional and financial rollercoaster for all of us.

4Waters

Reaction score
He had a male (Allegedly the father) on site and a few puppies to pick from. He told us the mother was his sister's dog and she was at her house nearby. It all seemed fairly legit at that moment. Looking back, we should have done more homework before pulling the trigger. It's hard to do that sometimes when the little pup is in your arms tugging at your heart. With your wife and kids standing there next to you doing the same, its damn near impossible. We were additional victims in this mess and it has cost us financially and emotionally.

Our vet just called and Bella didn't survive. The doctor sounded devastated on the phone as the hospital staff was trying all they could do to help. We had just started the plasma procedure this afternoon hoping it would help give Bella a chance, but no such luck.

I will compile some numbers when we get the information, but I can say this much. This week has been an emotional and financial rollercoaster for all of us.
Sorry for your loss.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

FUCK

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you guys I really appreciate the support. Hopefully our misfortune will help others down the line who might stumble into this thread.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Hope this makes you feel better...
20190608_201702.jpg
20190608_201724.jpg

The SOBs bail has been raised to $740,000 ($760k including a prior narcotics charge)

Wishing you and your family the best. Don't give up on Bella and don't back down on pushing Downey PD and the DA.

FishSniper

Reaction score

I can only imagine. This guy is the scum of the earth to pull this kinda crap. Problem is in la county we'll see what kinda time he gets. My guess is not much but I hope otherwise. Sorry for the result of this whole ordeal.

Backlash

Reaction score
I can only imagine. This guy is the scum of the earth to pull this kinda crap. Problem is in la county we'll see what kinda time he gets. My guess is not much but I hope otherwise. Sorry for the result of this whole ordeal.

Thank you my friend. I'm going to jump on the prosecution bandwagon and see this to the end. I'll keep everyone updated with the results along the way.

I'm guessing they will put the case together and present the case to both sides. They will put together some form of deal for a plea agreement "Pre-prelim." If he accepts that deal, no preliminary trial and no jury trial, then he will just serve whatever time is offered. If he doesnt accept the initial offer, then he risks being put through the ordeal of a preliminary hearing and then possibly a jury trial. They could go back and forth and he may accept a deal right before the preliminary hearing begins. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Once the judge sets the jury trial date, he most likely wont have the option to "Take the deal." Then he risks catching more prison time than what was initially offered.

The fact that this investigation took over two years, tells me that a D.A. is already on board and they already have more than enough evidence to prove the case "Beyond a reasonable doubt."

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score

Really sorry to hear that. :(

At least you tried. You showed your kids not to give up on something even in the face of adversity. The money will be made back but being a good human being is priceless.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the pup. Get on the phone with the DA Monday.

As weird as it may sound... California Superior Court will take an animal abuse case far more serious than person abuse case. They plead out domestics and typical assaults all day long, yet will drag an animal cruelty charge out for months on months if not years. I had a case where we show up, guy is wearing a make shift diaper (white towel) holding a knife in one hand and a bible in the next. He was ready for war, standing in a funny pose yelling at the top of his lungs (imagine the "let me hear your war cry" from full metal jacket) until I told him to sit down. Bat shit crazy was an understatement. He had just finished stabbing his cat to death because he thought the cat was possessed. Spent a month in the psych ward then we booked him into jail. The DA strung that case out for almost a full year before our pre-lim. They treated the case like a murder case, no BS.

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you Rich I appreciate the kind words. Yeah we are extremely disappointed by the way our week went. It seems we covered all ends of the spectrum. It was devastating for my wife as this hit her the hardest.

4Waters

Reaction score
Thank you Rich I appreciate the kind words. Yeah we are extremely disappointed by the way our week went. It seems we covered all ends of the spectrum. It was devastating for my wife as this hit her the hardest.
At least Bella was shown the love only a family could give, even if it was only for a few days. If there was any of her siblings left they most likely didn't get that family love.

Backlash

Reaction score
On Sunday when we picked up Bella, there was one male puppy left that Gustavo brought out to us. It looked a little like one in the video that SPCA was shown holding during the raid. I am not sure if that's the same one though.

He told us there were two left. One male and one female. We bought the female and named her Bella. In the video during the raid, the SPCA staff are shown holding two puppies. So I am not sure which is which. Maybe he had more puppies some other place....I don't know.

We like to think we did all we could for Bella and would do the same for any of our pets, regardless of age. We sure enjoyed our time with her although it was brief.

Roaddawg

Reaction score
My wife and I have gone through this..We got a puppy and about a week later found out it had distemper..It was rough but just as you we showed that dog some love even if it was just for a short time

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
So sorry for you and your family. At least they already have this f'in POS in custody. Sounds like you and many others are ready to do whatever you can to see that he is prosecuted to the fullest. Whatever that means now days. We found our pure bred 1 yr old Golden at the Ventura County Animal Shelter. We were lucky to have him until he was 11. Great dogs.

4Waters

Reaction score

4Waters

Reaction score
Our little girl is an AMAZING dog and anyone considering a Golden Retriever, NEEDS to take a look at these! Yes Sir, I will absolutely vouch for you!! If you are considering a new puppy, PLEASE reach out to him! 👍😎 View attachment 993133
Really glad you got your pup. What ever happened to that POS that sold you Bella?

Backlash

Reaction score
He took a plea deal for "Time served" and was issued a short probationary sentence and restitution. For everything that was charged and alleged, he got off easy. I'm sure the new D.A. had something to do with the light sentencing. My wife and I did receive a check for restitution, but it was just a dollar figure. We miss little Bella, but Layla has been an angel and a wonderful addition to our crazy household!

4Waters

Reaction score
He took a plea deal for "Time served" and was issued a short probationary sentence and restitution. For everything that was charged and alleged, he got off easy. I'm sure the new D.A. had something to do with the light sentencing. My wife and I did receive a check for restitution, but it was just a dollar figure. We miss little Bella, but Layla has been an angel and a wonderful addition to our crazy household!
Fuker deserved to fry.

Loo Dog

Reaction score
There are 4 males and 6 females left, from two different litters born on 3/19 and 3/22. They only wanted to breed one of the two females but the sire got to both of em. He is the brother of my oldest female. They can be viewed on 5/8 and picked up 5/19 after their final round of shots. All are AKC registered. They are asking $1250 but I could probably work anyone interested an “RDP” discount. The dams are light and dark goldens, sire is dark. There’s only 2 light pups left. Last pics are of mine, they are really crazy animals! 😆

Attachments

• B6493142-ADA4-4140-BF45-6FD375747B29.jpeg
    B6493142-ADA4-4140-BF45-6FD375747B29.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 820E161B-EB21-4D0B-8D2E-EEB23DE61DF6.jpeg
    820E161B-EB21-4D0B-8D2E-EEB23DE61DF6.jpeg
    815.5 KB · Views: 91
  • A5DCF912-4A97-4701-BDD4-AD822A2E7C57.jpeg
    A5DCF912-4A97-4701-BDD4-AD822A2E7C57.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 1CB42DEA-5B52-4DB0-8704-E8A9445332EE.jpeg
    1CB42DEA-5B52-4DB0-8704-E8A9445332EE.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 96

4Waters

Reaction score
There are 4 males and 6 females left, from two different litters born on 3/19 and 3/22. They only wanted to breed one of the two females but the sire got to both of em. He is the brother of my oldest female. They can be viewed on 5/8 and picked up 5/19 after their final round of shots. All are AKC registered. They are asking $1250 but I could probably work anyone interested an “RDP” discount. The dams are light and dark goldens, sire is dark. There’s only 2 light pups left. Last pics are of mine, they are really crazy animals! 😆
Already have two pups, one is a golden. They are adorable, they won't last long.

welldigger00

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking for a female golden, any of you guys having another littler, or know of any out there? We’re not picky either about her having to be a puppy. She could be a little older too, as long as she’s not psycho like an ex girlfriend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking for a female golden, any of you guys having another littler, or know of any out there? We’re not picky either about her having to be a puppy. She could be a little older too, as long as she’s not psycho like an ex girlfriend.

Give post 3 a call, really cool fellow boaters

Backlash

Reaction score
[emoji106]

You won't be disappointed! Great people and we have absolutely LOVED our Golden! She is an amazing dog with a fantastic disposition!! If they don't currently have any puppies available, please be patient. They are worth the wait. I can't say enough good things about them and their puppies. 👍