WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Golf Cart Battery gurus need help

Motor Boater

Reaction score
So last year I had new battery’s and during the summer I didn’t drive the cart much and the batts got drained too low so my charger wouldn’t kick on. I took it in and they charged each battery individually until they would take a charge. Last week I noticed the cart is slower than normal so I put it on the charger all night and then filled the battery’s with water today. It’s still slow so I plugged it in and when the charger kicks on it just stays at zero so I’m wondering if I ran it down too much again. So my questions are:

1. Do I throw a charger on each battery? Do I need to unhook them from each other?

2. Am I going to boil The battery’s since I filled them and it wasn’t fully charged?

3. How do I stop this from happening? I can’t keep it on the charger all the time right? Maybe I just charge it more often?

Sometimes we are gone or don’t use it for weeks at a time. Do I need to keep hooking up The charger from time to time when not in use? Thanks

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Batteries aren't cheap to buy. Taking better care of them is wise.

You shouldn't need to unhook them. What kind of charger are you using? A big Club Car or EZ Go one?

Are you keeping the batteries topped off with distilled water? The desert heat doesn't help them retain water. When the plates are showing its too low! Top them off before you charge!

It might be worth while to get a timer to have your charger come on for an hour a day while you are gone.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Agree^^^^^ The summer heat knocks the dogcrap out of batteries!! The timer idea is a great one but so might be a new age charger that has a mind of it's own.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Most golf cart battery chargers sense when the batteries are fully charged. At that point they start a trickle charge. I’d leave it plugged in all the time.

I’ve got a GEM. I bought a ride-4-fun charger for it. It charges, trickles, and also runs a battery test after trickle charging to see if it needs to add or shut down its charging cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
So last year I had new battery’s and during the summer I didn’t drive the cart much and the batts got drained too low so my charger wouldn’t kick on. I took it in and they charged each battery individually until they would take a charge. Last week I noticed the cart is slower than normal so I put it on the charger all night and then filled the battery’s with water today. It’s still slow so I plugged it in and when the charger kicks on it just stays at zero so I’m wondering if I ran it down too much again. So my questions are:

1. Do I throw a charger on each battery? Do I need to unhook them from each other?

2. Am I going to boil The battery’s since I filled them and it wasn’t fully charged?

3. How do I stop this from happening? I can’t keep it on the charger all the time right? Maybe I just charge it more often?

Sometimes we are gone or don’t use it for weeks at a time. Do I need to keep hooking up The charger from time to time when not in use? Thanks

1. yes- that is the best way to bring back each battery in the string - it will take forever to equalize them wired in series if they ever do.
2. No- not if you use a low amp smart charger
3. Keep them charged fully and watered with distilled water- why cant you keep it charged all the time?

Every time you drain them below 50% you permanently reduce the life. Many chargers won't even initiate a charge in case of low voltage.

Get a hydrometer for a few dollar and it will tell you how much life is left.

Do you have 4 12's or 8 6's?

UD

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
I would test each battery with a meter to make sure you don’t have a bad one in the pack. Since they are in series one bad one could be the problem. If you find a weaker battery put on a charger and try and bring it back

also not all chargers kick on to maintain the batteries. The stock ezgo charges until they are full but won’t come back on to maintain ( at least on the rxv) Also the stock charges don’t always have enough amperage to “excite” the acid

I upgraded to a Lester summit Bluetooth that charges hotter and maintains.

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
Installed a battery switch on the hot leg so there is no draw when they sit.
I was also told to open the seat when charging and in storage so when they off gas it does not corrode the terminals
Add distilled water then charge,
Always put away with full charge if possible.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I have 8 6’s and it’s a club car. This is the Charger.
9D9C8507-127D-4C53-B4E6-4BF159AC916E.jpeg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
You want them watered before you charge.

Most chargers are utter junk..

The 15 amp charger weighs 20 lb
The 30 amp charger weighs 6????

IMG_5370.jpeg
IMG_5338.jpeg

termiteguy

Reaction score
I don't have a golf cart anymore but I have a Duffy kinda the same thing. I was having the problem I put all new batteries in it it seemed to help and all a suddenly it stopped running I turned out to be a bad cable. They all looked good when I put the new batteries in and a couple weeks later one was corroding. I don't know food for thought maybe check the cables

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Probably the best benefit of 6 volt battery’s is you can run them down to just about nothing without ruining them And they’ll recharge over and over again Unlike the 12 volt battery’s. Not sure how much capacity you lose by draining them too low, but I never noticed it with my setup.
I used to run 4- 6 volt Trojan battery’s in a series-parallel combination and never had a problem getting them to recharge Even after draining them. I usually charged the battery’s as 2 separate 12 volt banks. They were Trojan battery’s from batterysmart.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
There's a TON of great info on here already. What year is the cart? I'm in the Bay area, let me know if I can help. Rob 925-421-59six nine

Taboma

Reaction score
Several years ago I ran into the problem of the cart batts being drained by the battery charge level gauge when we'd been absent for a couple of months with no charger connected.
Started disconnecting the last negative cable when we leave, now they don't self-discharge during our absence. Yes, I could have put a battery switch inline, it's on my someday to-do list. 😁 This way it keeps any joy riding, fun loving youth, otherwise perfect angels moving on to a easier target as well. 😬

My charger like most, wouldn't charge unless it saw at least 12 volts, this was controlled by a 12V relay. The reason being, this way the connector leads are not "Hot" until it's plugged in and it sees that voltage. I installed a by-pass switch on the charger, now should the batteries get drained to low, I can flip the switch by-passing this relay.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I do two things to keep my batteries in the cart charged and well maintained

1). I put a single point watering kit on. It only takes two minutes or so to top all the batteries off.
2). I use a heavy duty outdoor timer when I’m not using the cart. This kicks on for one hour a day to keep the batteries topped of on the charge. Works perfect and the batteries are always ready to go. When I get out to the house, I simply plug the charger into the normal outlet.

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
I have this one, stays plugged in when I am gone and maintains batteries at 100%. Also has blue tooth with an app that shows the current battery levels. When I am at my place and using my cart I plug it in every night to keep charge at high level (better for battery life). Can be mounted onboard or used stationary
www.lesterelectrical.com
Summit-Sereies-II_650W_48-Mo-Warranty_4166x4166-600x600.png

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
There is some good and not so good info floating around here. Not playing expert but I have 20+ years in material handling specializing in electric powered equipment.

Here are a few tips.

- only water after you fully charge a battery. As a batt discharges acid is drawn into the plates reducing the water level. As you charge it is released and water level rises. If you add water first you can boil over and loose acid which requires adjusting the sulfuric acid levels.

- when a batt sits it sulfates, look at it like plaque on your teeth but it builds on the cell plates. This prevents the acid from being released when charging from the cells and thus provides a lower state of charge or capacity. Its important to keep your batts charged and place on a trickle charge occassionally. The trickle (slow charge rate) for a long period can desulfate or break away the built up sulfation on the plates and allow acid to be released bringing back some or all of your capacity.

I have a golf cart charger that senses voltage and auto starts and stops so it stays plugged in always. A simple 6 or 12v battery charger with a 2amp setting can be used to slow charge for 10-14hrs each which will desulfate but make sure you isolate the batteries so you are charging a single 6 or 12v.

Another side note, a rebuilt battery is nothing more than one that has been charged for an extended time at a slow rate and the acid has been adjusted back to the correct specific gravity. No such thing as a rebuilt battery.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I do two things to keep my batteries in the cart charged and well maintained

1). I put a single point watering kit on. It only takes two minutes or so to top all the batteries off.
2). I use a heavy duty outdoor timer when I’m not using the cart. This kicks on for one hour a day to keep the batteries topped of on the charge. Works perfect and the batteries are always ready to go. When I get out to the house, I simply plug the charger into the normal outlet.

Be careful with the single point watering systems, almost every system I've seen has over watered the batteries which is almost worse for them. Double check the level once in a while

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I have this one, stays plugged in when I am gone and maintains batteries at 100%. Also has blue tooth with an app that shows the current battery levels. When I am at my place and using my cart I plug it in every night to keep charge at high level (better for battery life). Can be mounted onboard or used stationary
www.lesterelectrical.com
View attachment 886498

The lester chargers are fantastic

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
There is some good and not so good info floating around here. Not playing expert but I have 20+ years in material handling specializing in electric powered equipment.

Here are a few tips.

- only water after you fully charge a battery. As a batt discharges acid is drawn into the plates reducing the water level. As you charge it is released and water level rises. If you add water first you can boil over and loose acid which requires adjusting the sulfuric acid levels.

- when a batt sits it sulfates, look at it like plaque on your teeth but it builds on the cell plates. This prevents the acid from being released when charging from the cells and thus provides a lower state of charge or capacity. Its important to keep your batts charged and place on a trickle charge occassionally. The trickle (slow charge rate) for a long period can desulfate or break away the built up sulfation on the plates and allow acid to be released bringing back some or all of your capacity.

I have a golf cart charger that senses voltage and auto starts and stops so it stays plugged in always. A simple 6 or 12v battery charger with a 2amp setting can be used to slow charge for 10-14hrs each which will desulfate but make sure you isolate the batteries so you are charging a single 6 or 12v.

Another side note, a rebuilt battery is nothing more than one that has been charged for an extended time at a slow rate and the acid has been adjusted back to the correct specific gravity. No such thing as a rebuilt battery.

Absolutely spot on info

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Be careful with the single point watering systems, almost every system I've seen has over watered the batteries which is almost worse for them. Double check the level once in a while

Never had an issue. Friends with large charter boats with Rows of batteries have been using these systems for years as well. They have never mentioned a problem either.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Here are a few tips.

Ive never seen an exposed plate in a cell take a charge fully.

IF you add too much water and overcharge you COULD boil over and lose acid.

I would recommend at min covering the plates before charging.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

I see this with the generic ones as well.

The branded ones that have a float per cell are usually pretty good as long as when watering the bank is level which n the case of a golf cart is pretty easy - in the case of a duffy - its harder.

UD

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
From Battery University

"Never allow the electrolyte to drop below the tops of the plates. Exposed plates sulfate and become inactive.
When low, add only enough water to cover the exposed plates before charging. Always fill to the correct level after charge."

UD

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I have a Duffy

Me too .... on Lake Mission Viejo ... have you ever looked into sealed maintenance free for the Duffy.... I bought mine new 5 years ago... thinking I’ll need batteries soon...

stoker2001

Reaction score
that Club car Powerdrive charger is controlled by a separate component called an OBC (on board computer)they tend to go bad from time to time.the OBC controls when charger kicks on and off and rate of charge.sometimes the OBC can be reset/rebooted by unplugging pack negative for 30 minutes or so.

termiteguy

Reaction score
Me too .... on Lake Mission Viejo ... have you ever looked into sealed maintenance free for the Duffy.... I bought mine new 5 years ago... thinking I’ll need batteries soon...
No I haven't my batteries have lasted about 6 years now I use our boat several times a week so the batteries are getting drained and charged
We live on lake 2 in lake forest

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
No I haven't my batteries have lasted about 6 years now I use our boat several times a week so the batteries are getting drained and charged
We live on lake 2 in lake forest

We go out about 3 times a week, on average

boatnam2

Reaction score
If its a ez-go you can jumper the charge box, just don't forget to take it off. I put in 3 12 volts in my 36volt car, going on second year, if they last another year I got my 240 bucks worth.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

stoker2001

Reaction score
that Club car Powerdrive charger is controlled by a separate component called an OBC (on board computer)they tend to go bad from time to time.the OBC controls when charger kicks on and off and rate of charge.sometimes the OBC can be reset/rebooted by unplugging pack negative for 30 minutes or so.
furthermore if you have 48 volt pack it should measure 50.9 volts or higher after fully charging and resting for 10 hours if batts are in good shape?if you have 36 volt system it should be 38.1 volts.google a chart for "state of charge" for cart batt packs.its important to moniter pack voltage and SOC,your batts will be very happy and provide better service

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
This chart might be of help to some of you.

Take note that a 12v battery is about dead at 11.5 volts.

Try to avoid a discharge of 50% or more.

TABLE 1
State of Charge as Related to Specific Gravity and Open Circuit Voltage
Percentage of ChargeSpecific Gravity Corrected ToOpen-Circuit Voltage
6v8v12v24v36v48v

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
good chart
This is the point most guys miss - it isnt 12-0 its 12.7-11.5

Your basic water filled lead acid is fully charged at 12.7
damages itself below 12.1
and is basically dead at 11.5

Many chargers won't even initiate charge at this stage and you start to separate the charging men from the boys.

Hud - agreed Trojans are great. Had great luck with Crowns, and odysseys (not pictured- on top Wal mart junk 12V vs 8,6V 225 crowns.)

UD

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5333.jpeg
    IMG_5333.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Nice Clean setup Unc.:) Back in the day, I used the 4-6v Trojan setup in my 21 XTSk because I thought they were great for all day stereo use And would be best all around setup. But after I got the 2750 which Lavey rigs with the Odyssey AGM Batteries, that changed my attitude forever. No more cheap batteries for me. Sure the Odyssey’s cost more, but well worth it. They recharge super fast, are super durable and even after accidentally draining to point of ruin onetime, was able to recharge them with a little work and still got 6 years out of them. Can’t say enough.....
I also really liked the Norhstar AGM’s. They’re very similar construction and if I remember right, somehow related to Odyssey group, maybe former engineers or management?