WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gonna do a X-mas a "gotcha"... on my Mom

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
This Sunday morning.:D

My Mother is 74. She is, like most folks that age, sorta stuck in her ways.
She has always lived for her family; her children, and her grandchildren, and my Father, back when he was alive.
Mom never wants anything for Christmas, or birthdays, is always giving of her time to somebody else; sick friends, volunteer work at a Hospice Thrift Store, you folks know the type.
A couple of weeks ago my eldest stopped to see her on the way here. When he got here, he said, "Dad, grandma is trying to watch a football (she loves football) game up there, her TV is making everything look green. Why don't we all go together and buy her a TV for Christmas?"
Mom is watching a 20+ year old 25 inch Zenith.
(She didn't give up her bag cell phone until they called and told her they were gonna stop supporting voice mail on it)
I thought it was a great idea. Made a few calls and got my sibling and other son in on the deal, then went to town and talked to a friend at the local Electronics place where I have spent a gajillion bucks over the years.
Sunday morning, Mom is getting a 35 inch flat screen Sony Vega HDTV.
First, I think she is gonna be pissed.
Then, she is gonna cry.
Then, she will watch the game.
She is on top of a hill and gets great reception from an antenna.
She'll get the networks in HD over the air.
Who knows, in a year of two I may be able to talk her into Sat. TV.:rolleyes:
This is going to be a big day, looking forward to doing something special for her.

HavasuWakecraftZR6

Armed and Ready
Reaction score
This Sunday morning.:D

My Mother is 74. She is, like most folks that age, sorta stuck in her ways.
She has always lived for her family; her children, and her grandchildren, and my Father, back when he was alive.
Mom never wants anything for Christmas, or birthdays, is always giving of her time to somebody else; sick friends, volunteer work at a Hospice Thrift Store, you folks know the type.
A couple of weeks ago my eldest stopped to see her on the way here. When he got here, he said, "Dad, grandma is trying to watch a football (she loves football) game up there, her TV is making everything look green. Why don't we all go together and buy her a TV for Christmas?"
Mom is watching a 20+ year old 25 inch Zenith.
(She didn't give up her bag cell phone until they called and told her they were gonna stop supporting voice mail on it)
I thought it was a great idea. Made a few calls and got my sibling and other son in on the deal, then went to town and talked to a friend at the local Electronics place where I have spent a gajillion bucks over the years.
Sunday morning, Mom is getting a 35 inch flat screen Sony Vega HDTV.
First, I think she is gonna be pissed.
Then, she is gonna cry.
Then, she will watch the game.
She is on top of a hill and gets great reception from an antenna.
She'll get the networks in HD over the air.
Who knows, in a year of two I may be able to talk her into Sat. TV.:rolleyes:
This is going to be a big day, looking forward to doing something special for her.

She might be getting Sat. TV sooner than that. I heard the FCC is going to stop all stations from brodcasting via airwaves in '08. All Digital from now on. (Calbe or Sat.)