WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Good bye BRP Outboards

LHCBOY

Reaction score
MAY 27, 2020
Mercury Marine enters into supply agreement with BRP; will immediately become outboard engine of choice for Alumacraft, Manitou & Telwater brands

Mercury Marine enters into supply agreement with BRP; will immediately become outboard engine of choice for Alumacraft, Manitou & Telwater brands
FOND DU LAC, Wisc. (May 27, 2020) -- Mercury Marine, a division of Brunswick Corporation (NYSE:BC) and a world leader in marine propulsion systems, has entered into a strategic supply agreement with BRP to be the supplier of choice for BRP owned boat brands Alumacraft, Manitou, Quintrex & Stacer. BRP has made the decision to discontinue the production of E-TEC and E-TEC G2 engines effective immediately.

“This agreement brings us an incredible opportunity to further grow our brand in the marketplace and introduce our award-winning portfolio of outboard engines to new customers around the world,” said Chris Drees, Mercury Marine president. “We have enjoyed long standing relationships with Alumacraft, Manitou and Telwater and we look forward to continuing to work with them while providing class-leading outboard engines and exceptional service to all of their global customers.”

“We stay true and committed to our marine strategy, and we strongly believe that having two of the most innovative global marine companies to join forces, will not only be mutually beneficial to Mercury Marine and BRP, but also to the whole industry and to customers, " said Karim Donnez, Senior Vice President, Marine Group, IS&T and Global Transformation. “While COVID-19 has precipitated the discontinuation of the production of our outboard engines, we will proudly offer packaged Manitou, Alumacraft, Quintrex and Stacer boats with Mercury Marine going forward."

Mercury Marine will be the outboard supplier of choice for the Alumacraft and Manitou brands as well as Quintrex & Stacer in Australia.

“We are excited for the BRP dealers and consumers to experience our new engines – and with our recent capacity related investments we are well positioned for continued growth,” said Drees.

Boat packages for Alumacraft, Manitou, Quintrex & Stacer with Mercury outboards will be available in early June.

About Mercury Marine

Headquartered in Fond du Lac, Wis., Mercury Marine is the world’s leading manufacturer of recreational marine propulsion engines. A $3 billion division of Brunswick Corporation (NYSE: BC), Mercury provides engines, boats, services and parts for recreational, commercial and government marine applications, empowering boaters with products that are easy to use, extremely reliable and backed by the most dedicated customer support in the world. Mercury’s industry-leading brand portfolio includes Mercury outboard engines; Mercury MerCruiser sterndrive and inboard packages; MotorGuide trolling motors; Mercury propellers; Mercury inflatable boats; Mercury SmartCraft electronics; Attwood marine parts; Land ’N’ Sea marine parts distribution; and Mercury and Quicksilver parts and oils. More information is available at mercurymarine.com.

Back to News

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
That blows. The last of the 2smokes....
I'm going to miss them.

Even the brand new 4stroke outboards dont run on top end like a 2stroke does

PlanB

Reaction score
I was surprised BRP did not become the outboard of choice on Bennington's after Polaris bought them.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
End of an era, so no more evinrude at all or just no more ETEC's?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Brunswick stock has been going up like nuts since this COVID thing began...I hesitated in the beginning...thinking it wasn't sustainable at $30/share. Now it's near $60/share. BRP has some serious badass 2 stroke technology that Merc just acquired....I think there may be some new fun 2 stroke tech coming soon....

This is like Ford buying Chevy, or vice versa. end of an era I guess.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
That blows. The last of the 2smokes....
I'm going to miss them.

Even the brand new 4stroke outboards dont run on top end like a 2stroke does
Did Tohatsu get rid of the TLDI???? I was a dealer for them for years and the TLDI is/was a GREAT engine. Granted only up to 115hp. You're right, a 4 stroke will never run on the big end like a two stroke does!! :)

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I've honestly never come across one, but these days if they dont have a product at least in the 300+ hp range, they're non competors. Sad to me for sure... makes me want to go find me a johnson v8 even more now

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I was surprised BRP did not become the outboard of choice on Bennington's after Polaris bought them.

That would be a conflict in buisness.. putting your competitors motor on a boat Polaris builds...

Reaction score
are you saying Evinrude just Died ? because if true it will be the second time it has.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This really isn't a surprise. BRP shot themseves in the foot some years ago with the decision to go with Ficht technology which was a disaster and they never recovered. Just another example of people running a company who didn't understand the outboard market. I'm sure Mercury , Yamaha and Suzuki are not shedding any tears about this. It will be unfortunate for boaters who bought BRP power -- parts availability has been awful in recent years and will most likely only get worse.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
It’s never good for the consumer to have another company go under. I’ve heard good things about their 300hp G2 motors. Seems with boating sales and outboard sales in the last few years off the chart, they would have been doing well.

LC925

Reaction score
Brunswick stock has been going up like nuts since this COVID thing began...I hesitated in the beginning...thinking it wasn't sustainable at $30/share. Now it's near $60/share. BRP has some serious badass 2 stroke technology that Merc just acquired....I think there may be some new fun 2 stroke tech coming soon....

Was watching this closely when it was volatile, VERY glad I bought a few bucks at $28/share 😝 when I did.

Backlash

Reaction score
So, is my old 235hp Johnson now a collector's item? 😁

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score

Merc didn't buy Evinude. No transfer of intellectual property. Evinrude is just gone. BRP shut it down, and made a deal with Merc to install their engines on BRP's boat lines.

This is good for Merc, but it sucks for about 400 families in southeast Wisconsin.

Spudsbud

Reaction score

tunnel vision

Reaction score

Where does it say that Mercury acquired their 2 stroke technology?
It says "Mercury Marine enters into supply agreement with BRP; will immediately become outboard engine of choice for Alumacraft, Manitou & Telwater brands"

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Where does it say that Mercury acquired their 2 stroke technology?
It says "Mercury Marine enters into supply agreement with BRP; will immediately become outboard engine of choice for Alumacraft, Manitou & Telwater brands"
I read it wrong...I originally thought they acquired the outboard division.