WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Good bye California

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Haha friends moving out of state found it cheaper to pick up uhaul in Phoenix and drive back to Palm Springs to load. Almost half the cost. So many trucks are leaving they are charging a premium so they can get the trucks moved back to Ca
We moved our son to Boulder Co. 3 months ago. We rented a 5 x 8 enclosed. They wanted almost $400 for 2-3 days to leave in Boulder. I rented it for five days and towed it home for 120ish.

dave29

Reaction score
I lived in Calif for 60 years. Was a native. Water skiing in Santa Barbara, surfing in Malibu in the early 60's. when you could see the botton filled with star fish and Urchin. Things lived in shells and walked along the beach. Racing at OCIR and driving through endless orange fields. Remember the opening of the Ventura fwy and the 405.
San Fernando Valley was filled with ranches. Watched all that leave then decided I'd go with it. I left 10 years ago and the news I read on Calif just confirms my decision. So many good people caught in a political state that is going the wrong way.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Join me on the road, see the country and then decide where you want to settle down in. Will be heading out in April sometime and first stop is probably Texas. I stay in Scottsdale for the winter. I am going to keep fading to FL and hit up LuckyStrike for a while.

Where is LS? Last I recall he was selling the "Sub Base" and moving ...??

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Fuck . . . My goal at this point is to buy a small piece of shitty property in Bullhead and put a piece of shit trailer/ mobile home on it.
Stay out there from November to May, then split back to OC when it starts cookin for the summer, and avoid the river psychos.
That'd keep me sane.

Springfield

Reaction score
Best wishes on the new venture.
IDB-L-HAYWARD-1210-1.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
You hear so much about Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Florida, was surprised to read Tennessee is # 1 one with new arrivals.
I think it's because it's a very red state, centrally located and it doesn't get a whole bunch of snow in the winter, I mean I just looked at the weather in my buddys town; 50 - high 60's all week and it's the middle of January. It gets humid and hot AF July and Aug but open area, friendly people, lots of lakes, tax breaks are KILLER.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Are you planning to move into retirement or looking for a new land of business opportunity?

Ladsm

Reaction score
We made the fulltime move out of California last year. Love it and not going back. The weather isnt worth the taxes, over priced utilities and less freedoms every day.

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
Congrats RCDave, sounds like something you've been looking forward to for awhile. 👍

67Charger

Reaction score
We'll be pulling the plug on CA in the VERY near future. Born and raised here, 41 years in LA County minus a 6 year stint in Bozeman, MT. Wife is from Montana. We are just OVER the BS here. Would prefer Idaho or Montana, but need to be employed for about 15-20 more years.

Wife (Chemical Engineer) has job offers in Salt Lake City, 90%+ virtual, and I (Mechanical Engineer) can likely transfer within my own company to a job in the area. We need property (7 kids who love their outdoor toys) and are NOT city folk, so I've started looking for something 4-5 bedroom with 2 acres+ and within commuting distance but OUT of town. We've got about 200K in equity to play with if we leave soon. Hard to say when (not if) the housing market will crash again, and don't want to risk losing the equity or good rates.

PlanB

Reaction score
Check out Tennessee. Lots of friends heading there. Very happy.

I know so many people moving there right now. That's definitely the new hot spot of California ex pats.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I know so many people moving there right now. That's definitely the new hot spot of California ex pats.
Yep, wife's cousin just left San Dimas for TN. Got to Nashville yesterday morning. She's single with no kids and wanted a new start somewhere red. Better job, less taxes and lower cost of living with a higher income. She's happy so far but knows no one so that will be hard for a while.

67Charger

Reaction score
My sister and her husband just bought property on a river there, 2 lots down from where his parents bought. Parents moved already, and they will follow in about 5 years, if they make it here that long. He and his father are law enforcement. Can't take it here anymore, especially with Gascon.

Tank

Reaction score
Yep, wife's cousin just left San Dimas for TN. Got to Nashville yesterday morning. She's single with no kids and wanted a new start somewhere red. Better job, less taxes and lower cost of living with a higher income. She's happy so far but knows no one so that will be hard for a while.
Its funny, I keep hearing people moving to Nashville. But Nashville is actually a large blue city. I kind'a shake my head whenever I hear people moving to Nashville to "go red". It's like saying, "we're leaving this liberal state and heading to Arizona.....Phoenix" Though I don't pretend to believe Nashville is as bad as Phoenix LOL

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Its funny, I keep hearing people moving to Nashville. But Nashville is actually a large blue city. I kind'a shake my head whenever I hear people moving to Nashville to "go red". It's like saying, "we're leaving this liberal state and heading to Arizona.....Phoenix" Though I don't pretend to believe Nashville is as bad as Phoenix LOL

The problem is that anything less blue to them is red. And also I think a lot of Republicans in CA are not as red as they think they are when it comes down to it and they actually move somewhere else.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Yes Phoenix and most of Glendale proper are high density liberal shitholes. The outskirts and Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Peoria, Carefree, Desert Hills, Chandler, Gilbert and a few other spots are nice and red.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Retiring or did you find someone to take you out of market?

v6toy4x

Reaction score
We left 4 years ago, to Upstate South Carolina. Love the people, and living on the lake. My advise, if i were to do it again, even though we love living on the lake, I would have chosen Utah, Idaho, Northern Nevada, norther Az. mostly for the weather. SC is great most of the year, but at my age(59), it's hard to get used to the 3 months of humidity, plus i like the mountains of the west coast. you would also be closer to family, if that's a good thing.? On the other hand, if you like warm lake water(gets to 85-89 during the summer) and stays comfy well into October, and many large lakes to enjoy, then Tenn., North and South Carolina, could be for you.

I will also be able to retire at 61 and have more time and money to see the states and the world! Happy Hunting!!!

Pulling the trigger to relocate in retirement,---that's a big one! ---Kinda like deciding which boat to buy, a rabbit hole of compromise and once you pull the trigger you don't get that bullet back. So unless you got another bullet in the gun, you're stuck.

I put a lot of stake into the comment above. When you here someone say that if they had it to do again they might make a different choice is so much more credible than
everyone who says I went so and so and it is great. Especially when, where they went sounds great, who wouldn't want lots of lakes with nice warm water and a lower cost of living! Not to mention living ON the lake.

I follow all of these threads with great interest and take notes of pros and cons, we live in CA and retiring in June at 59 and weighing all options. Our plan is to relocate June 2022 or there after. I would love to add to the gun collection and not have to smog my stuff or be taxed on every move I make. Our biggest problem is family and friends, believe it or not, I cant fathom not being able to talk to or see my kids on a regular basis. In fact if they would just relocate my decision would be easier cause I would just follow them like a stalker!

We have life long friends who we camp with, boat with, ride dirt bikes with and try and run the Rubicon or one of the other trails in the sierras once or twice a year or just sit around eating dinner and getting drunk! I have worked with two of them on a daily basis for over 25 years and we are still friends! In our experience Its hard to find people you and your wife both like, have common interests and enjoy each others company. Too old and grouchy to have much success at making new friends. It has taken me years to train the ones I got!

So many people say the weather is a lame excuse, but those same people will post how they had such a great day on the lake or in the desert because the weather was so enjoyable, i.e. not 100 degrees out or drenched in sweat from the humidity, kinda like CA. Now I know first hand, it comes with all the BS and costs in taxes/regulations, you find a way to work around some of those, but I am getting old and want to be comfortable first and foremost. I don't want to have to stay in the house with the AC running all day, or pay the elec bill, cause its too hot to go outside. I dont want to have to have AC in my shop and keep the doors closed. I like to have my garage door open and chat at the neighbors. I want a front lawn with green landscape and a lot of tall trees in the back yard, I want to be able to swim in the pool all year because I can and not because I have to because it is so stinking hot. I don't want to shower 3 times a day from humidity, and I sure as hell don't want to be shoveling my drive way.

I am truly interested in how people are dealing with friends and family.
How important is the weather?
Where do these things rank in priority?
Better yet what are your priorities?

My gun only has one bullet!

I wish you all the luck to your endeavors keep posting and find me a place that checks all the boxes.
Then all I have to do is load the u-haul, kidnap my kids and friends and I will be right behind you!

MOUZER

Reaction score
4czn10.........where n upstate r u.......im on keowee

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The problem is that anything less blue to them is red. And also I think a lot of Republicans in CA are not as red as they think they are when it comes down to it and they actually move somewhere else.

Young kids in the tech industry (sub 30) are moving out of california to other big cities with good jobs.

Most of these college educated kids are democrats . That's why you see AAustin,Nashville,Saltlake,etc....turning blue.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Young kids in the tech industry (sub 30) are moving out of california to other big cities with good jobs.

Most of these college educated kids are democrats . That's why you see AAustin,Nashville,Saltlake,etc....turning blue.

100% correct. They are just moving because they can't or don't want to afford CA.

I was referencing many of the older people, families etc.. They claim to be Republican (and probably are for the most part) but they like their gated communities, HOAs, and can't stay out of the business of others around them. When those people move to be with "like minded folks". they are not as red as they thought they were, and look very blue to the locals.

My point is there are many shades of red and blue.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Pulling the trigger to relocate in retirement,---that's a big one! ---Kinda like deciding which boat to buy, a rabbit hole of compromise and once you pull the trigger you don't get that bullet back. So unless you got another bullet in the gun, you're stuck.

I put a lot of stake into the comment above. When you here someone say that if they had it to do again they might make a different choice is so much more credible than
everyone who says I went so and so and it is great. Especially when, where they went sounds great, who wouldn't want lots of lakes with nice warm water and a lower cost of living! Not to mention living ON the lake.

I follow all of these threads with great interest and take notes of pros and cons, we live in CA and retiring in June at 59 and weighing all options. Our plan is to relocate June 2022 or there after. I would love to add to the gun collection and not have to smog my stuff or be taxed on every move I make. Our biggest problem is family and friends, believe it or not, I cant fathom not being able to talk to or see my kids on a regular basis. In fact if they would just relocate my decision would be easier cause I would just follow them like a stalker!

We have life long friends who we camp with, boat with, ride dirt bikes with and try and run the Rubicon or one of the other trails in the sierras once or twice a year or just sit around eating dinner and getting drunk! I have worked with two of them on a daily basis for over 25 years and we are still friends! In our experience Its hard to find people you and your wife both like, have common interests and enjoy each others company. Too old and grouchy to have much success at making new friends. It has taken me years to train the ones I got!

So many people say the weather is a lame excuse, but those same people will post how they had such a great day on the lake or in the desert because the weather was so enjoyable, i.e. not 100 degrees out or drenched in sweat from the humidity, kinda like CA. Now I know first hand, it comes with all the BS and costs in taxes/regulations, you find a way to work around some of those, but I am getting old and want to be comfortable first and foremost. I don't want to have to stay in the house with the AC running all day, or pay the elec bill, cause its too hot to go outside. I dont want to have to have AC in my shop and keep the doors closed. I like to have my garage door open and chat at the neighbors. I want a front lawn with green landscape and a lot of tall trees in the back yard, I want to be able to swim in the pool all year because I can and not because I have to because it is so stinking hot. I don't want to shower 3 times a day from humidity, and I sure as hell don't want to be shoveling my drive way.

I wish you all the luck to your endeavors keep posting and find me a place that checks all the boxes.
Then all I have to do is load the u-haul, kidnap my kids and friends and I will be right behind you!

The friends,family and neighborhood are the big ones that will be tough. I have 4-5 people that i absolutely wish i could take with me. I'm not concerned with making new friends or fitting in as the wife and i typically have zero issues in that department. We actually prefer to keep our crew very small and drama free.

One of the big reasons i'm considering a move right now is my son. My son is about to go into 7th grade and i feel like if i move him now especially coming out of covid he would have no problem adjusting. I would never move a kid once they got into high school. We have talked for years that the opportunities for young kids is vanishing by the day in this state and that he could live a much better quality of life elsewhere. My hopes are if i get him out of here now that base becomes somewhere we all want to live based on our family hobbies and interests. I want nothing more to have a close relationship with my son until we are both old and gray but if i don't jump now and if he stays in CA and settles down after high school when we decide to retire and leave I'm not gonna stay to live his life for him.

I was originally thinking Tennessee as I'm sure the election and the state of the world has gotten to all of us a bit. Tennessee is a looooong ways away from everything i know. Utah is a 5 hour ride and also less than 2 from vegas. Living in utah i know i will see my family and friends. Moving 2500 miles away...not so much.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
100% correct. They are just moving because they can't or don't want to afford CA.

I was referencing many of the older people, families etc.. They claim to be Republican (and probably are for the most part) but they like their gated communities, HOAs, and can't stay out of the business of others around them. When those people move to be with "like minded folks". they are not as red as they thought they were, and look very blue to the locals.

My point is there are many shades of red and blue.

Absolutely.....

I'm definitely more pink than blood red....lol (I still hold the line when voting becuse i don't want to pay for anyone else's shit :p )

badgas

Reaction score

Well said

I'm in a similar boat.

Family ? My kids 23 and 25 are here in OC and SD my parents 85 and 82 live a mile away and both of my brothers thier familes live within a 20 minute drive. We could cash out of OC and retire today at 52/49 but leaving the state is an emotional hurdle. It is great problem to have but if my kids were out of state the decision would be simple.

Taxes and regulations ? That's easy I think we would all like less taxes and more freedom.

Weather ? We love the ocean, the desert and the mountians. I could never do hardcore humidity and could never do extreme cold and heavy snow.
My dream would be a place in Havasu and place in the mountains Idaho or Utah. Spend the summers in the mountains and winters in desert and have good vacation rental income on both ends while not there. My wife would prefer a place in Havasu and maybe a condo near a beach in so cal. The problem is that a nice condo near a beach in so cal is 3x what a mountian house would be maybe more when you toss in taxes and HOA's etc.

I need to hit the road this spring and visit some possible landing spots.

Last edited:

MSum661

Reaction score
Born in Lennox, raised in Cerritos, live in Simi Valley.

Taking our SOLID red votes to a solid RED state! ; )

I know some people in great areas of Simi Valley dug in deep still fighting the good fight but its working them hard in every way
Good for you...You won't miss Cali.

4czn10

Reaction score
4czn10.........where n upstate r u.......im on keowee
Live on Hartwell...Small world! we'll have to hook up some time. And for those that are reading this, i would definitely include Lake Keowee on the places to retire. Beautiful! not that Hartwell isn't, but it's like comparing Lake Shasta to Lake Tahoe...

4czn10

Reaction score
The friends,family and neighborhood are the big ones that will be tough. I have 4-5 people that i absolutely wish i could take with me. I'm not concerned with making new friends or fitting in as the wife and i typically have zero issues in that department. We actually prefer to keep our crew very small and drama free.

One of the big reasons i'm considering a move right now is my son. My son is about to go into 7th grade and i feel like if i move him now especially coming out of covid he would have no problem adjusting. I would never move a kid once they got into high school. We have talked for years that the opportunities for young kids is vanishing by the day in this state and that he could live a much better quality of life elsewhere. My hopes are if i get him out of here now that base becomes somewhere we all want to live based on our family hobbies and interests. I want nothing more to have a close relationship with my son until we are both old and gray but if i don't jump now and if he stays in CA and settles down after high school when we decide to retire and leave I'm not gonna stay to live his life for him.

I was originally thinking Tennessee as I'm sure the election and the state of the world has gotten to all of us a bit. Tennessee is a looooong ways away from everything i know. Utah is a 5 hour ride and also less than 2 from vegas. Living in utah i know i will see my family and friends. Moving 2500 miles away...not so much.
Cole, we pulled the trigger and made the move when we did b/c out daughter was entering 5th grade and we wanted to see if she would like SC. the schools are better than most area's of California, and she really likes it. But South Carolina isn't a 5 hour car ride away from family. One great thing i will say about where we live, is that the school system here and families tend to really push hard to further your education. we have at least 10 universities within a 50 mile radius, Clemson being one, being just up the road from us.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm a 3rd generation AZ native, and moved to SoCal for a few years. The weather and Ocean are great, but the taxes and politics of the state were bad even when I moved back to AZ in 2006. We still go to CA for vacations, but I'm happy to be living in AZ.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Yes Phoenix and most of Glendale proper are high density liberal shitholes. The outskirts and Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Peoria, Carefree, Desert Hills, Chandler, Gilbert and a few other spots are nice and red.
Speaking of Arizona
I was in the Gilbert area a few weeks ago. The San Tan area seemed pretty cool. Your take?

Flatsix66

Reaction score
My employer approved a intercompany transfer! Im not ready to retire yet. Well I am but want more nest egg!
Awesome! We really like Williamson Valley north of Prescott and have some land we want to build on there one day. The land has power, well and fiber optic internet. We would have to work remote or retire, no equiv income in-person jobs in that area.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

First honest post in awhile. Well said friend, well said..

Everyone wants the Perfect place to live. Problem is, there isn't one!

I have some friends that just moved back east. They are always posting on Instagram how awesome it is back there. Nice house, big property, the husband is building a huge shop. At first glance, it looks seems like paradise! House is paid off and all that.

Know what I see in those pics? Snow everyday. Ice storm last week. They are freezing their balls off, while it was 80 degrees here last week.

She is a nurse. Her first job lasted two weeks, cause she told me the working conditions were deplorable. She quit, and has been outa work for a month. Last we talked she had an interview lined up for next week with a different hospital. Fat chance it will be Any better than the first one she worked at. No reason for it to be.

The husband? Yep. Still no job for him. And they have been there for over six months. They are burning through their savings at lightning speed building his dream shop on their property. They just installed a new outside spa too. More pretty pics to post on Instagram though, right? Right. Looks awesome.

Are they posting any of their job situation on social media? Fuck no. Same as no one will post it here (if it's bad).

It's all rainbows and unicorns when you leave CA! Life instantly becomes perfection!

There are shit holes and nice neighborhoods in every state in the union. Including good ol Ca.

My priority is to be comfortable too. Totally agree with that. And be somewhat close to my kids. Nothing means more than that.

Hell yeah, make that last bullet count. Even if it just sits in the chamber. 👍

fmo24

Reaction score

I have some friends that just moved back east. They are always posting on Instagram how awesome it is back there. Nice house, big property, the husband is building a huge shop. At first glance, it looks seems like paradise! House is paid off and all that.

Know what I see in those pics? Snow everyday. Ice storm last week. They are freezing their balls off, while it was 80 degrees here last week.

She is a nurse. Her first job lasted two weeks, cause she told me the working conditions were deplorable. She quit, and has been outa work for a month. Last we talked she had an interview lined up for next week with a different hospital. Fat chance it will be Any better than the first one she worked at. No reason for it to be.

The husband? Yep. Still no job for him. And they have been there for over six months. They are burning through their savings at lightning speed building his dream shop on their property. They just installed a new outside spa too. More pretty pics to post on Instagram though, right? Right. Looks awesome.

Are they posting any of their job situation on social media? Fuck no. Same as no one will post it here (if it's bad).

It's all rainbows and unicorns when you leave CA! Life instantly becomes perfection!

There are shit holes and nice neighborhoods in every state in the union. Including good ol Ca.

My priority is to be comfortable too. Totally agree with that. And be somewhat close to my kids. Nothing means more than that.

Does not sound like common sense was used in any of their decisions. At 30ish maybe throw every thing to the wind but moving across country without even a prospective job or jobs is a bit crazy. I’m retired partner stopped working and can start to draw pension in a couple more years. We mapped out our expenses and a budget long before leaving on our adventure. We Knew first couple of years would require a draw on my 401 funds but then again that’s what it is for. SS starts next month plus my pension then partners pension and 401 funds are out there.

jet496

Reaction score
My sister & brother in law just came out to CA from the midwest to move my nephew & are like WTF! Can't eat anywhere, robots wearing masks like they're from Japan or some sci-fi flic, and they don't know anything about our Governor yet.

Yea, I never thought I'd say this but we want to come up with an exit plan, but where? We love CA weather for sure & lived in Colorado & Iowa so fuck that. Where, prey tell?

Last edited:

buck35

Reaction score

Ya all act and sound as if you will fucking melt if you get wet .... Grow.a pair !

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Good luck RCDave. I’m sure you’ve planned this out for a long time so no doubt it will go smoothly for you.

I love these threads. I love hearing what other people think, where they’ve moved, what their plans are etc..

I’m always thinking about the future and I’m looking forward to it. Our plan is to downsize after the kids have moved out and are self sufficient which is going to be anywhere from 5-8 years from now.

I don’t think there’s one perfect place to live so the plan is to have 3 or 4 condos spread out across the country. One here is SoCal, one is Maui, one in Florida, and we haven’t figured out the fourth one yet. I can work from anywhere since I only really see a hand full of clients face to face and covid is bringing that number down to zero this year.

We’re going to go in between these condos year round depending on the weather and when we’re not using them we can Airbnb them if we want to or not. That’s the plan for now. We’ll see what happens when it’s time.

buck35

Reaction score
Good luck RCDave. I’m sure you’ve planned this out for a long time so no doubt it will go smoothly for you.

I love these threads. I love hearing what other people think, where they’ve moved, what their plans are etc..

I’m always thinking about the future and I’m looking forward to it. Our plan is to downsize after the kids have moved out and are self sufficient which is going to be anywhere from 5-8 years from now.

I don’t think there’s one perfect place to live so the plan is to have 3 or 4 condos spread out across the country. One here is SoCal, one is Maui, one in Florida, and we haven’t figured out the fourth one yet. I can work from anywhere since I only really see a hand full of clients face to face and covid is bringing that number down to zero this year.

We’re going to go in between these condos year round depending on the weather and when we’re not using them we can Airbnb them if we want to or not. That’s the plan for now. We’ll see what happens when it’s time.
I really don't get why peeps want to raise their kids in california before moving to a red area.
I'm a total redneck from a hick town and couldn't be happier about it. Everyone not wanting to move their kiddos till later are THE problem . Sorry Shin just my .02

RCDave

Reaction score

Thanks Shin!

I've been researching this relocation for years from every angle I could think of. I'm very fortunate my 10 year employer has multi state presence and is rolling out the red carpet for me with regard to the transfer.

I will be ahead of of the earnings to cost of living delta with the move. And the recreational, freedom, political, quality of life elements very compelling.

Kalifornia used to be amazing. Those days are lost

RodnJen

Reaction score
I really don't get why peeps want to raise their kids in california before moving to a red area.
I'm a total redneck from a hick town and couldn't be happier about it. Everyone not wanting to move their kiddos till later are THE problem . Sorry Shin just my .02

Point well taken. However, you are making an assumption and generalization about someone’s situation based on where they live. Paradise is often what you make of it.