WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Good camping spots?

LAVEYNICK

Reaction score
Anybody have some good spots in socal? Pics? I have a 28 ft travel trailer and I'm looking for new spots. Thanks

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I also quite often camp at vail lake resort (temecula) that's where we store our trailer. There's a thread I have going (use the search feature)

View attachment 454412

pavski2

Reaction score
The big issue with San Onofre is the noise, train and freeway are close. San Clamente state, and San Mateo are both good options. There is also a nice campground at Crystal Cove state park just north of Laguna.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Try to look at private parks, most state and county parks I've looked at for New Years are full. Newport Dunes is always a good time.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
We've camped at quite a few of the local camping grounds.

KQ Ranch in Julian
Butterfield Ranch RV Resort in Julian off of S2
Agua Caliente in Ocotillo Wells
Vail Ranch in Temecula
Lake Skinner in Temecula
Tucalota Springs in Hemet
Sky Valley Resort in Desert Hot Springs
Lake Elsinore Marina and Campground
Dixon Lake in Escondido
Santee Lakes

Passport America is a good membership to get 50% off of camping fees.
http://www.passport-america.com/campgrounds/us/california/

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Lake Skinner is nice Nick and since you have a trailer, you can drive your truck to the wineries down the street. Camping there during the balloon festival is pretty cool too. We have camped at Serrano Campground in Big Bear a couple times and that was really nice.......just make sure you reserve a spot within close walking distance to the lake.

As far as beach camping goes, I have always liked Refugio and El Capitan. It is a little north, but worth it.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
We've camped at quite a few of the local camping grounds.

KQ Ranch in Julian
Butterfield Ranch RV Resort in Julian off of S2
Agua Caliente in Ocotillo Wells
Vail Ranch in Temecula
Lake Skinner in Temecula
Tucalota Springs in Hemet
Sky Valley Resort in Desert Hot Springs
Lake Elsinore Marina and Campground
Dixon Lake in Escondido
Santee Lakes

Passport America is a good membership to get 50% off of camping fees.
http://www.passport-america.com/campgrounds/us/california/

Tucalota is our Regal Begal campground. Something kinda dive barish to go to for a quick weekend. Not many people know about it. Funny you mentioned it. Drunk tractor rides [emoji106]

If you want something higher end near the ocean you can try Chula Vista RV Park. Nice place but shitty area. Great view of the Tijuana hill lol

For State Parks, I've been to just about every one locally, and as Riverbound said San Clemente is our favorite. San Elijo and Carlsbad are fun too. Silver Strand if you want to do San Diego.

Santee Lakes usually fills up early on holidays. Vail and Skinner in Temecula. Like OSB mentioned, do Skinner if you want to do the wineries.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Tucalota is our Regal Begal campground. Something kinda dive barish to go to for a quick weekend. Not many people know about it. Funny you mentioned it. Drunk tractor rides [emoji106]

If you want something higher end near the ocean you can try Chula Vista RV Park. Nice place but shitty area. Great view of the Tijuana hill lol

For State Parks, I've been to just about every one locally, and as Riverbound said San Clemente is our favorite. San Elijo and Carlsbad are fun too. Silver Strand if you want to do San Diego.

Santee Lakes usually fills up early on holidays. Vail and Skinner in Temecula. Like OSB mentioned, do Skinner if you want to do the wineries.

Yeah Tucalota is kind of redneck, but I like it.
I used to store my 5er there pretty cheap!
The people are nice and there is a store in case you forget something.

I also forgot to mention Campland by the Bay. Expensive but its a nice park.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Yeah Tucalota is kind of redneck, but I like it.
I used to store my 5er there pretty cheap!
The people are nice and there is a store in case you forget something.

I also forgot to mention Campland by the Bay. Expensive but its a nice park.

I'll be at Campland tomorrow. $500 for the holiday weekend [emoji15]

LAVEYNICK

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info. I've done bolsa Chica a couple times and going to try San Mateo this weekend. Looking forward to mountain camping this spring.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info. I've done bolsa Chica a couple times and going to try San Mateo this weekend. Looking forward to mountain camping this spring.

where's the pics ???:D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Both I have a generator

This time of year, I'm not really sure what to say, anything in SoCal will be Cold! There is a great little camp ground at the puddle. (Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park).

The Lower deserts will have the best weather. The upper deserts will be cold as fuck, places like Dove Springs, Randsburg and Cal City, burrrrrrr.

I've heard good Reports about Glamis North Hot Springs. Never been, but I have heard it's nice. :thumbsup

If you want the best of the best, try Newport Dunes. Get out your wallet and have fun.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Areas in Ventura County

Beach camping:

Leo Carillio state beach
Thornhill Broom
Ventura RV Park
Seacliff/Rincon
Faria
Hobson
Emmawood

Lakes- Drinking reservoir so you cant swim in the water,.
Lake Piru
Lake Casitas
Lake Cachuma

There is also a KOA in Santa Paula that is supposed to be pretty cool and great for kids. Never been but heard it's cool.

Mountains:

You can never go wrong with
Shaver Lake
Convict Lake
Mammoth

Tons of places along the Eastern Sierras- do some research and look into spots after the snow melts in May and June.

Riding areas:
Ballinger
Dove Springs
Jawbone
Spangler

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Areas in Ventura County

Beach camping:

Leo Carillio state beach
Thornhill Broom
Ventura RV Park
Seacliff/Rincon
Faria
Hobson
Emmawood

Lakes- Drinking reservoir so you cant swim in the water,.
Lake Piru
Lake Casitas
Lake Cachuma

Mountains:

You can never go wrong with
Shaver Lake
Convict Lake
Mammoth

Tons of places along the Eastern Sierras- do some research and look into spots after the snow melts in May and June

I gotta tell ya, I grew up camping at lake Cachuma. Last time I was there, maybe ten years or so, the camp ground was Really sad. I wouldn't send anybody up there anymore. :(

Meaney77

Reaction score
I gotta tell ya, I grew up camping at lake Cachuma. Last time I was there, maybe ten years or so, the camp ground was Really sad. I wouldn't send anybody up there anymore. :(

Sux to hear, I haven't been their in years. Has the lake Piru crowd spread further north?

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
If you want solitude, Owens River just south of Mammoth Airport. Dry camping but great fishing. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451418294.792767.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
One place I don't mind telling people about is Kenedy/Monache meadows. It's absolutely Beautiful in the summer, but it's a BITCH to get to!!! I had to put my gas truck in low range to get up the hill to it. The 7.3 got the trailer up there, but it was slow going indeed.

If you have the equipment and balls to attack it, it's totally worth the adventure. :thumbsup

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
One place I don't mind telling people about is Kenedy/Monache meadows. It's absolutely Beautiful in the summer, but it's a BITCH to get to!!! I had to put my gas truck in low range to get up the hill to it. The 7.3 got the trailer up there, but it was slow going indeed.

If you have the equipment and balls to attack it, it's totally worth the adventure. :thumbsup

I have seen the road, looks sketchy to say the least.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have seen the road, looks sketchy to say the least.

It is. And god forbid you meet someone towing, going in the opposite direction. It's a one lane road at some points...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

I haven't been there but my dad has gone up there a couple times in the summer with his 30' 5er toyhauler. He said the way way up was fine. The way down though was difficult. His '04 dirtymax was getting hot constantly. Had to switch between engine braking and truck brakes a few times to keep the heat fairly evenly distributed.

j-bone

Reaction score
The Palomar Mountain state campground is beautiful mountain camping in San Diego. Not sure on trailer limitations. It is best in the winter.

1rvrryd

Reaction score
Paradise By The Sea is a nice family campground in Oceanside. Very short walk to the beach, or you can ride to the pier.

NdaWind

Reaction score
This time of year i'd stay by the coast and as far south as you can. Campland is the nicest and most $$. Mission Bay RV Resort far less $$ far less amenities basically it a black top parking lot. They both are next to each other on the water in Mission Bay. Great Bike path and just a few miles from Little Italy and Gas Lamp Discricts.

Casper Wilderness OC County Park near San Juan Capistrano nice little park just outside of OC. No Dogs allowed.

77charger

Reaction score
Looks nice up there my uncle gos deer hunting up that way some where near kennedy meadows.

I like the kern river area usually we go towards lower peppermint creek where its dispersed camping and pretty nice with great fishing.But the hill after johnsondale bridge can be quite steep and narrow the last 20 miles feels like it takes forever.Seen the cut off going towards kennedy meadows from the kern river area looks like what you described.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Kern River area, Camp James.... and other camp grounds on the upper Kern

Sonoma area, Jamestown, a few simple quaint campgrounds (gold country) interesting history

Annette Village @ Upper Twin lakes, Bridgeport (limited hook ups) Lots of trees, wildlife, fishing, hiking, Bodie Ghost town

Water Romper

Reaction score
How about Doheny, So. of Corona del Mar, We used to camp there back in the day but knowing its in So Cal, along the coast, could be a zoo

LowRiver2

Reaction score
How about Doheny, So. of Corona del Mar, We used to camp there back in the day but knowing its in So Cal, along the coast, could be a zoo
A buddy that works OCSD advised a lot of homeless camp south end of Doheny beach steal anything they find left out including camp chairs

Reactions: DWC