WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

GOOD NEIGHBOR FENCE...who payed ?

Reaction score
you split the cost even ? you payed to full cost ? your neighbor payed the full cost ? or just let the fence fall...?

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I have vinyl extensions on top of a block wall around the perimeter of my place. Costs were split evenly by previous owner and neighbor.

One side of my house does not have the vinyl extensions as the neighbors were friends. I'm going to add it and will ask the neighbor to split the cost, if they don't want to I'll be footing the bill.

sirbob

Reaction score
Dune it all...

I’ve had houses where I paid for fencing on all sides

I had a fence rot and fall down and I split the cost with a nieghbor

And I’ve had another fence that the nieghbor wanted to replace but I didn’t so the nieghbor paid to do all the work

Just kind of depends on the situation.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Ideally it should be a 50/50 split. However, it never seems to work out that way and it depends on how bad either of you need it. Our block wall was getting jacked up from the neighbors tree roots. He cut the tree down but didn't have the funds for the wall. So i just had it done

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
On a previous house, neighbor and I split the cost of a new block wall to replace a dilapidated wood fence. Worked out great. On my current house, I just paid to replace an iron fence that was rusted in some spots. Our property is above the neighbors property a decent distance away from their house, and overlooks an area of their property that is a hillside and they don’t use. We wanted a glass fence for the view, so we just went ahead and did it. Didn’t ask the neighbors about it since we didn’t think it would be fair for them to contribute to an upgraded fence that really only we would see the benefit from.

Just depends on the overall situation and your relationship with the neighbors. I think in most areas you can legally do whatever you want to your side of the fence. That could include using the supports of the existing fence to put up dog ear boards that would make your side of the fence look fine, but the neighbor’s side still has the old fence in front of the new dog ears you put up...if that makes sense.

saucedaddy

Reaction score
Depends on level of neighbor disfunction. My right side neighbor is normal and we split the cost 50/50 like Ca. law states. Left neighbor is a menace and refused to pay anything, so had to go to small claims. Judge laughed said neighbor out of court, then idiot appealed it to civil court and was laughed out again. Now getting them to pay is the issue, so I ate the full cost of left side fence. Good luck.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
I split it with my neighbor when we moved in to our new house. There was a chain link fence between us that had some privacy with the ivy that had grown over it but it wasn't fully private. I asked him if he wanted to go in 50/50 on a vinyl fence and he said yes and gave me a check for half the cost after it was put up.

River Runnin

Reaction score
If you need a fence with — good neighbors — that’s way to fooking close! :D

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I told him I was gonna redo the fence section. He said he wanted to split it. I told him I wanted the pretty side and I would pay. He said fine. Done.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Ideally it should be a 50/50 split. However, it never seems to work out that way and it depends on how bad either of you need it. Our block wall was getting jacked up from the neighbors tree roots. He cut the tree down but didn't have the funds for the wall. So i just had it done

I have a similar situation with my neighbors tree and my RV drive way. He has a large tree in his front yard and the roots are getting large and going under my drive way and causing the drive way to crack. Its on my RV side so, driving my RV over it isnt helping my concrete but the RV didnt cause the cracks his tree roots did. Not sure how to handle the situation or what to expect from my neighbor. Cutting a section out and repairing it is going to look half ass, and I want it to look right. I have pointed it out to him and he is receptive about it, but I dont want to do anything until either the tree is removed or atleast a large section of the roots growing towards my side are removed.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I had a neighbors tree roots lift my wall and ruin it... We have been neighbors for 22 years... We each fought to try pay to fix it. He won... I seriously was trying to just pay for it and take care of it because we moved in when I was in my late 20s and have been throwing partys for 20 years, starting boat motors at 10 pm at night to trying to go to the lake the next morning etc. Best neighbor ever!

checkrd past

Reaction score
we wanted block wall, neighbor wanted wood,went with wood cause they were planning on us to go with the block and cover their cost.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
I am shocked at how often I see two fences set up back to back with 18" in between around my area. No one wants to put a fence on the property line, I've been told that if it is put on the property line then it becomes jointly owned no matter who put it up and it can't be taken down without permission from the neighbor.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I tried to split my fence with my dipshit neighbor. He wont until it falls over, which may happen here soon. ;)

sintax

Reaction score
i'd say 50/50 if you're hiring someone to do the work. Maybe work out a deal if you're doing the work or vice vesa.

I have retired widows on both sides of me, so I just quietly do it all my self and pay for it myself. Call it my good deed.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
My experience is be prepared to pay 100% if you want it and if your neighbor agrees to split it count it as a bonus.

Two years ago a neighbor asked me to split the cost on an existing 5' block wall two block height increase and I agreed. I then asked the other side if he would split the cost and he said no. I paid and was fine with it. Total privacy now for under 1K. Ironically, I don't like the neighbor who split the cost with me but love the neighbor who said no.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I just replaced the fence on the side of my house. Our neighbor is in her 80's living on social security and I didn't have the heart to ask her to pay half. When the fence was done her daughter called me to ask if her mom owed any money for the fence. I said no, it was my pleasure to take care of it. Needless to say, our neighbor came over the next day with a plate full of homemade cookies, crying saying that was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for her. It just reaffirmed my decision to pay for the fence myself and actually made my day.

Sherpa

Reaction score
my wife and I had just moved into our house, she 8 months PG, and 2 months later about 32 feet of old rotten fence falls over in a February storm. oddly enough about 65 more feet fell over
the next night. (by my foot).

the house next door was a rental. I got the prop management contact info, got a quote for the part that fell. they paid half. I tore the entire fence down (190') and built the whole thing
myself. that was 26 years ago. and my fence is still straight as an arrow, and solid as a wall. neighboring fences have been replaced 2-3x since. one neighbor behind us (townhouses)
wanted to tear down the whole fence (portion behind us) and the rest of the neighbors because it didn't match the fence they put up 5 years prior. I said no, i'm not paying. why tear down a 5 year old fence.

it comes down to whoever those neighbors are in most cases. I've built fences for homes I just rented. did it for receipts against rent. landlord used to love us.

Icky

Reaction score
I recently had @Melloyellovector replace the wall between us and the neighbor. Had to get the neighbor to sign off on it, he couldn't afford it at the time, but I needed it done so I could move on with my backyard build. He agreed to make payments to me when he could.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
My back yard used to have good neighbor fencing I shared with 4 good neighbors. In the last 4 years the neighbors and I shared the cost of replacing all of it 50/50. 1 Neighbor was a rental for sale and other 3 neighbors had privacy bushes on their side so all 4 were fine with we me getting face side, them the rail side of fence. That’s what I call a “Great Neighbor” fence that I share with 4 really cool neighbors.:cool:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
We are fed up with our meddling geriatric neighbors and are getting ready to do 410’ of block wall down that one side. It’s the first time I’ve been bummed about owning acreage.