WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Good TV Antenna Recommendation ?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Cut the cord on cable finally. I stream Roku etc. but looking for an antenna so my pops can easily browse regular TV channels 2 - 11.
We are in Huntington Beach so not sure the range we'd need . . 40 mile-ish?
Saw a few highly recommended models on amazon . . . wanted to ask the folks around here if you have any good experiences.
Thanks in advance.

azsunfun

Reaction score
i have this little guy, live 30 miles from town oppisate of antennas on mt, puts me closer to 50 miles works well. Antop Antenna AT-415B Outdoor Dual

TrollerDave

Reaction score
We cut the cord about 8 months ago and tried a few different antennas. The flat indoor ones worked good for the channels that didn’t have a week signal.
We ended up with the one below. I put it in the attic. Works fine except when we have the living room LED canned lights on, channel 7 ends up with a weak signal. The lights are on a dimmer. Turn the dimmer down and signal comes in strong, no problems. It’s just channel 7 ABC. Weird.
Other than that, I like have the sub channels as well.

By the way, we are in Chino, I figure about the same distance to the studios.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up guys . . . in my research today I came across 'Antenna Man' and his Youtube channel. . . . . you've gotta check this guy out . . . his dry sense of humor is friggin HILARIOUS !
Wait till the end when he smashes a junk antenna to pieces ! 🤣😂😅😅😆😁

Taboma

Reaction score
I haven't had an OTA antenna in many years here in San Diego. When I last did I also had a huge sat dish in the backyard, which was more like operating a Ham radio station as I scanned the various birds for a signal. My OTA was perched on a 25' mast, with a rotor and amp.

This thread has prompted me to take a peek back into that world. First surprise was how about all channels have switched to UHF for their High Def, except FOX, still using the higher end of the VHF spectrum.

Here's a couple of links, with maps and some info --- UHF has less range than our old VHF, when I grew up in OC, we could easily get VHF from most all the stations which had antennas on Mount Wilson. So where we could toss just about any antenna in the attic, or for improved on a short roof mast, HB is going to require a bit more quality and care in choosing.

Here's a couple of helpful links. I just plugged in a couple of HB zip codes.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I haven't had an OTA antenna in many years here in San Diego. When I last did I also had a huge sat dish in the backyard, which was more like operating a Ham radio station as I scanned the various birds for a signal. My OTA was perched on a 25' mast, with a rotor and amp.

This thread has prompted me to take a peek back into that world. First surprise was how about all channels have switched to UHF for their High Def, except FOX, still using the higher end of the VHF spectrum.

Here's a couple of links, with maps and some info --- UHF has less range than our old VHF, when I grew up in OC, we could easily get VHF from most all the stations which had antennas on Mount Wilson. So where we could toss just about any antenna in the attic, or for improved on a short roof mast, HB is going to require a bit more quality and care in choosing.

Here's a couple of helpful links. I just plugged in a couple of HB zip codes.

Thanks for that Sir.
i'm kind of looking forward to figuring out a decent little set up for my Dad . . . he's stoked to not be paying that cable bill.

hboutlaw

Reaction score
I had to put up an antenna for my BIL in HB/FV. After research and then some trial and error with limited success I went to JK Electronics in Westminster and they set me up with a solution that really worked. It ended up being an external antenna because of the elevation and location of towers. They were very helpful. Just my 2 cents...

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
What’s an antenna?

spark2678

Reaction score

77charger

Reaction score
Got one on amazon it’s about 9x12 flat antenna just place near a window worked really good when I lived in Fullerton got lot of channels and a few good ones I liked especially if you like older shows.

Works great in phx too basically get same channels locals plus the others I like grit tv cozi charge h&i and a couple others.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Got one on amazon it’s about 9x12 flat antenna just place near a window worked really good when I lived in Fullerton got lot of channels and a few good ones I liked especially if you like older shows.

Works great in phx too basically get same channels locals plus the others I like grit tv cozi charge h&i and a couple others.
Nice, yeah . . . Pops is a big fan of Columbo, Gunsmoke, Rockford Files etc. ! 😀🇺🇲

77charger

Reaction score
Nice, yeah . . . Pops is a big fan of Columbo, Gunsmoke, Rockford Files etc. ! 😀🇺🇲
I bought one just to get locals in my backyard tv about 4 years ago. To my surprise we’re all the sub channels. We have direct tv I rarely watch it so hold her cancel it but she won’t cause she watches one show on lifetime 🙈🙈