WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Goodbye California

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Curious, I've looked at retired living in TN, mostly for the boating potential. How does she enjoy the cold-ass winters, hot humid summers and only having maybe four months of the year to enjoy the outdoors ?
My kinda younger wife's going to retire from an awesome CA job in a couple of years, so I'm looking for our retired living 'Holy Grail' almost daily on the web.
Been in Havasu for 26 years, wouldn't consider living there full time due to Summer assclowns, sweltering summer temps and lack of medical.
Love our AZ mountain ranch, but no real medical within 200 miles, plus should I croak, property up there takes a while to sell --- don't want to leave my wife trapped.

So seriously, we can afford to remain here in CA, but I'd like to leave and have a home & dock on the water --- just don't know where to go --- YET :confused:

I do certainly enjoy this subject being discussed here on RDP and enjoy reading all the points of view --- thanks :D

She loves the seasonal change but is not a boater.
Cold and hot sounds like Texas, lol.
I’ve had other co workers move to North Carolina and say it’s more mild winters where they went, some with small lakefront property.

I have over 100 relatives in MT, half snow bird to AZ for a reason. I will have a paid off home in Ca and be an AZ resident in retirement.

Snow and old age don’t do well together from watching my relatives lol.
Had a few co workers retire to MT only to relocate to Idaho for being closer to medical services as they age.
Havasu needs to up it’s game in the health care industry, hoping the influx of baby boomers raises interest by the med industry to improve services there, time will tell.

Tank

Reaction score
I’ve had other co workers move to North Carolina and say it’s more mild winters where they went, some with small lakefront property.

I have over 100 relatives in MT, half snow bird to AZ for a reason. I will have a paid off home in Ca and be an AZ resident in retirement.

Had a few co workers retire to MT only to relocate to Idaho for being closer to medical services as they age.
Havasu needs to up it’s game in the health care industry, hoping the influx of baby boomers raises interest by the med industry to improve services there, time will tell.
Havasu needs to do a lot to catch up to the influx of people out there. It's not a small town anymore. Place is growing like crazy. They need to get a real airport, real medical, and work on brining some type of industry in so when the economy takes a shit again Havasu wont get HAMMERED like it did last time.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I don't understand how you can be happy that tax paying citizens are leaving the state? That is like getting happy a tenant is moving out causing you to pay the mortgage yourself. I don't get it.
So I can assume that when all these people leave their houses will go vacant forever? I'm guessing with all those vacant homes it will kill real estate values. Looks like I'll finally be able to afford that house in Tahoe!:rolleyes:

PaPaG

Reaction score
Hoping to add to the RED vote here. There is a reason we’re in BC and not Henderson or any other Vegas suburb
Boulder just elected Lefties for Mayor and council. Thankfully they are for small growth and more like the dems from decades ago not the new age progressive agenda that we got with GOV of NV. It is a shame Nevada has gone blue and it shows everyday.

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
Curious, I've looked at retired living in TN, mostly for the boating potential. How does she enjoy the cold-ass winters, hot humid summers and only having maybe four months of the year to enjoy the outdoors ?
My kinda younger wife's going to retire from an awesome CA job in a couple of years, so I'm looking for our retired living 'Holy Grail' almost daily on the web.
Been in Havasu for 26 years, wouldn't consider living there full time due to Summer assclowns, sweltering summer temps and lack of medical.
Love our AZ mountain ranch, but no real medical within 200 miles, plus should I croak, property up there takes a while to sell --- don't want to leave my wife trapped.

So seriously, we can afford to remain here in CA, but I'd like to leave and have a home & dock on the water --- just don't know where to go --- YET :confused:

I do certainly enjoy this subject being discussed here on RDP and enjoy reading all the points of view --- thanks :D

When you figure out the "Holy Grail", please share your thoughts. I'd like to do the same thing!

Taboma

Reaction score
We have a really good friend (actually the guy that owns the Cigarette Tiger that RD was with at LOTO when he broke his ankle) who lives in Collierville Ten. (about 30 minutes outside of Memphis). It is absolutely STUNNINGLY beautiful. He's got a few acres in a very nice house probably valued at 400k. He also has a house on Baysprings Lake in Mississippi about 2 hrs s/e from his house. From that lake you can actually boat up through the river to Pickwick Lake that is a big party lake (and poker run lake). Collierville is very nice, very chill decent sized town. It's a 6 hr drive to LOTO (huge party / poker run / events lake), 5 hr drive to Lake Cumberland (huge party / poker run lake) and 2 hour drive to Pickwick Lake. He has a vee drive and a jet boat he leaves down in Baysprings and then the Cigarette for running around other lakes. The winters aren't that bad, like dusting of snow. Summers are hot and humid like anywhere else in the Midwest. Your Ca. dollar goes a LOOOOOONG way though.

House in Collierville and pics from the cabin and Baysprings lake.

View attachment 779697

View attachment 779698

View attachment 779699
View attachment 779700

Thanks Tank, No doubt there's some awesome boating to be found in that area and many others east of the Rockies. There's so much I find attractive about it and I've spent a lot of time searching for lake or riverside homes. Viewed with the mind set of me in my 40's or even 50's, I'm all in --- but alas, I must concede to certain "Golden Years" realities and limitations, ones easily dismissed even five years ago.
Money won't drive me out of CA, we can afford to stay pretty much regardless of how bad the Gov tries to screw us. We will only consider leaving, in order to enjoy a preferred lifestyle.
My oft younger mind screams "Damn that place it flat bitchin" --- Then I'm reminded of that doc appointment in the AM and only having to drive 7 miles, not 200, like I would if I were living on our ranch property in the mountains of AZ.
20 years ago when we set all this in motion, the Havasu place, the Ranch 90 miles away --- it was a dream just waiting for us.
How does it go ? "Man Plans and God Laughs" :rolleyes: :D

bocco

Reaction score
So I can assume that when all these people leave their houses will go vacant forever? I'm guessing with all those vacant homes it will kill real estate values. Looks like I'll finally be able to afford that house in Tahoe!:rolleyes:
This is actually a concern of mine. If to many people bail out before I do I could be screwed.

Tank

Reaction score
Thanks Tank, No doubt there's some awesome boating to be found in that area and many others east of the Rockies. There's so much I find attractive about it and I've spent a lot of time searching for lake or riverside homes. Viewed with the mind set of me in my 40's or even 50's, I'm all in --- but alas, I must concede to certain "Golden Years" realities and limitations, ones easily dismissed even five years ago.
Money won't drive me out of CA, we can afford to stay pretty much regardless of how bad the Gov tries to screw us. We will only consider leaving, in order to enjoy a preferred lifestyle.
My oft younger mind screams "Damn that place it flat bitchin" --- Then I'm reminded of that doc appointment in the AM and only having to drive 7 miles, not 200, like I would if I were living on our ranch property in the mountains of AZ.
20 years ago when we set all this in motion, the Havasu place, the Ranch 90 miles away --- it was a dream just waiting for us.
How does it go ? "Man Plans and God Laughs" :rolleyes: :D

As much as I detest Ca. politics, which are the catalyst for all the problems (crime, vagrancy, taxes, high price of living, etc) I don't think I could ever fully leave Ca. The quality of life where we live still out weighs the downsides. Once I retire, I would ultimately like to buy something smaller where we are and then get something in Havasu and maybe the lower keys in Florida. We have land in upper Idaho too and a place in Kona so those are options too. I just don't want to spend all my time in Ca.

Another thing is wife and I are born and bread Ca. Never lived anywhere else. We've known no less than 5 different people that left and came back with in 5 years because they couldn't do it. These were all beach people like us though. It's tough to leave the beach. Pretty sure my wife will NEVER leave the beach.

Taboma

Reaction score

Montana :eek::eek::eek: My wife's sister and hubby moved back to Montana from Roseville area (AKA Grad'sville) for financial and politically motivated reasons. He was originally from there and they've moved into his mom's old ranch house. She sent some emails from there this past winter, bundled up like Eskimos IN THE HOUSE, lol :eek::eek:
I'm pretty sure if I even hinted at that, my wife would be packed and would go into hiding :p
At least you've got a firm grasp on some of the age related necessary compromises :(

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Check one way U Haul rates

"The cost to rent a 26-foot U-Haul truck — big enough to move a three- to four-bedroom home — out of San Francisco headed to Las Vegas reached as high as $2,085 for four days. To rent the same truck going in the opposite direction is only a fraction of that cost — $132," the Union-Tribune reported.
Ha Ha That didn't take long for someone to bring up the "U Haul Prices". lol :D

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Check one way U Haul rates

"The cost to rent a 26-foot U-Haul truck — big enough to move a three- to four-bedroom home — out of San Francisco headed to Las Vegas reached as high as $2,085 for four days. To rent the same truck going in the opposite direction is only a fraction of that cost — $132," the Union-Tribune reported.

From Vacaville to Havi one way is $2300 as of yesterday. (26’)

Round trip is $40 a day and 89 cents a mile.
It’s 1275 miles round trip. 4 days tops counting load and unload.
That’s almost $1000 cheaper to round trip it not counting 637 miles of gas.
It’s $500 cheaper to one way to Vegas via Havi. They actually pay you to take it back up to Vegas.

Taboma

Reaction score
As much as I detest Ca. politics, which are the catalyst for all the problems (crime, vagrancy, taxes, high price of living, etc) I don't think I could ever fully leave Ca. The quality of life where we live still out weighs the downsides. Once I retire, I would ultimately like to buy something smaller where we are and then get something in Havasu and maybe the lower keys in Florida. We have land in upper Idaho too and a place in Kona so those are options too. I just don't want to spend all my time in Ca.

My 40'ish yo kids live in Ventura and Camarillo, I was a bit shocked to see that Camarillo was suffering in the 90's the other day. I've discovered the areas I really like up there are damned spendy !!
We were all set to purchase a large property just outside of Kona, build and relocate there in the mid 90's. Made numerous trips, were close to writing a check, but by then we'd come to realize the area seemed ill prepared for the growth it was experiencing. Ran into lengthy traffic jams trying to out of town to the property and some rather serious road rage. That along with the challenges of finding lucrative employment (To afford the life style) and the potential of Island Fever, we decided it was possibly better for vacationing than full time living.

Meanwhile, the quest for what comes next in the great journey of life ---- wait what's that I hear ??? That sound, Tic-Tock, Tic-Tock, OH, just my life clock ticking away and accelerating each successive year. :eek::eek: :D:D

Springfield

Reaction score
Good luck on your new ventures!

20190409_060458.jpg
arizona.JPG

AJ13

Reaction score
Same industry. Most likely a different company. I work for the Elevator constructors union so my pay and benefits will remain the same.
My father In Law retired with 40 years in the Elevator union. He worked for Dover and thyssenkrupp for years. He was the OC trouble shooter for 10 years for thyssenkrupp. He retired and then got the bug aging so he went back to thyssenkrupp was building the elevators at the fountain Blue in Las Vegas. That job got shut down so he went ahead and retied for good.

Tank

Reaction score
My 40'ish yo kids live in Ventura and Camarillo, I was a bit shocked to see that Camarillo was suffering in the 90's the other day. I've discovered the areas I really like up there are damned spendy !!
We were all set to purchase a large property just outside of Kona, build and relocate there in the mid 90's. Made numerous trips, were close to writing a check, but by then we'd come to realize the area seemed ill prepared for the growth it was experiencing. Ran into lengthy traffic jams trying to out of town to the property and some rather serious road rage. That along with the challenges of finding lucrative employment (To afford the life style) and the potential of Island Fever, we decided it was possibly better for vacationing than full time living.

Meanwhile, the quest for what comes next in the great journey of life ---- wait what's that I hear ??? That sound, Tic-Tock, Tic-Tock, OH, just my life clock ticking away and accelerating each successive year. :eek::eek: :D:D
Camarillo gets HOT!! And it's only like 15 miles from the beach. Weird micro climate Malibu to Santa Barbara, beach to the Thousand Oaks grade. I grew up part time in Kona, Hi as a kid. I could never live there. Great place to visit and chill but now that I'm an adult, no way could I deal with the traffic, tourists, "island time" to get anything done, etc. I think the plan for us is to jump around when we are retired.

Buddy retired out of Ca and he and his wife bought a really nice place in Vegas. Their goal is to rent places all over the world for 3 to 6 months at a time and then come home for 3 to 6 months at a time. Kind've live all over the world in their retirement. I like that idea.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
No, homes will not stay empty. I am sure if Pelosi and the other libs get their way, they will fill them with illegals on section 8 housing that the CA tax payers get to pay. My comparison is based on your picture of Newson laughing because taxpayers are leaving. That is like me laughing as my employees walked out the door. How is that funny?

I was born and raised in the Central Valley. I love it there. Family, friends are still there. I still own a house there. I hate to see the politicians ruin it.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Usually based on cost of living, and number of jobs.

Ca. Has less Officers per citizen ratio than just about every other state.
Cost of living is higher in AK and HI, both of which pay more on average.

And training, requirements to get hired here are generally higher than all other states.

Heck, I almost fell over the other day when I found out a neighboring so cal academy has recruits fire only 200 rounds in training (!)
Ours shoot in excess of 2200 rounds before graduating and that’s still not enough.

Dry firing only carrys so far lol
I have taken classes that we have shot more then that in 2 days.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Seems like there are just as many people moving to CA has there are leaving for retirement. In some areas they can't build enough houses and many don't stay on the market very long. Construction in So Cal is booming right now.

* Most people moving to California are illegals. There is no wave of people moving into the state
* People aren't leaving California to "retire" - they and BUSINESSES are looking to GTFO and away from taxes, regulations and taxes (did I mention taxes?)
* Construction may be "booming" in SoCal now but you need to look at who's buying these homes (many new home buyers are buying for investment and used as rental properties because renting is so expensive)

TCHB

Reaction score
Seems like there are just as many people moving to CA has there are leaving for retirement. In some areas they can't build enough houses and many don't stay on the market very long. Construction in So Cal is booming right now.
We sold our HB house in minutes to a young professional couple.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Congrats, Riley1 on getting out!

My wife and I were born and raised in So Cal. We left 3 years ago to North Idaho (We're now closed). Best thing we did was get out of OC/CA. Getting away from the crowds, the traffic, and the expense has been awesome.

We never really experienced "winter" until we moved up here. It took some getting used to, but it's been great. 3 winters now and the wife hasn't complained once!

Sold our 1500 sq' house in Yorba Linda, bought a 2 year old 3700 sq' house here for half of what we sold for. We're now looking to move out a bit further since we've been here a few years and really know where we want to be. Initially a 5 year plan bumped up to 3.

We're also in a different situation and have the best of both worlds, CA wages (I work from home for a company based in CA) and ID expenses.
Sunset last night
IMG_3924.jpg

And winter
IMG_5407.jpg

Last edited:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
* Most people moving to California are illegals. There is no wave of people moving into the state
* People aren't leaving California to "retire" - they and BUSINESSES are looking to GTFO and away from taxes, regulations and taxes (did I mention taxes?)
* Construction may be "booming" in SoCal now but you need to look at who's buying these homes (many new home buyers are buying for investment and used as rental properties because renting is so expensive)

Really...I have plenty of examples to prove you wrong. But you don't want to hear them. lol :) But here are a couple anyway...Every hear of WeWorks. They are popping up all over CA. We have several different locations that we are working on.

Also another very large clothing company is moving their distribution center to the IE from the Midwest. It took them over 6 months to find a building large enough (over a million square ft.) All the buildings that size were already being taken by other companies that are moving to the So Cal area.

That's why I said So Cal is booming in commercial construction and housing.

These aren't illegals that are moving here.

Sorry you couldn't make a living here. But there's no reason to hate CA. in every post...lol :p

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Also another very large clothing company is moving their distribution center to the IE from the Midwest. It took them over 6 months to find a building large enough (over a million square ft.) All the buildings that size were already being taken by other companies that are moving to the So Cal area.

Who's this? There is one leaving LA and moving to the IE to get out of the LA tax and into San Bernardino.

Tank

Reaction score
My wife and I were born and raised in So Cal. We left 3 years ago to North Idaho (We're now closed). Best thing we did was get out of OC/CA. Getting away from the crowds, the traffic, and the expense has been awesome.

We never really experienced "winter" until we moved up here. It took some getting used to, but it's been great. 3 winters now and the wife hasn't complained once!

Sold our 1500 sq' house in Yorba Linda, bought a 2 year old 3700 sq' house here for half of what we sold for. We're now looking to move out a bit further since we've been here a few years and really know where we want to be. Initially a 5 year plan bumped up to 3.

We're also in a different situation and have the best of both worlds, CA wages (I work from home for a company based in CA) and ID expenses.
Sunset last night
View attachment 779762
And winter
View attachment 779763

Where in Idaho are you and where you going?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Really...I have plenty of examples to prove you wrong. But you don't want to hear them. lol :) But here are a couple anyway...Every hear of WeWorks. They are popping up all over CA. We have several different locations that we are working on.

That's why I said So Cal is booming in commercial construction and housing.

These aren't illegals that are moving here.

Sorry you couldn't make a living here. But there's no reason to hate CA. in every post...lol :p

So they are moving their warehouses closer to the docks, but they don't pay any decent wages. When I left Mo Valley they where and still are planning millions of square feet of warehouses that the residents don't want. So that us the growth you always talk about.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I have taken classes that we have shot more then that in 2 days.

Training over 1k rounds in one day is a waste
6 hours max on the range
Multiple studies have proven retention drops after that

LowRiver2

Reaction score
No my point is that is not enough and something that needs too be addressed. While not done often using a fire arm as a Leo is life or death.

It’s never enough
When you actually know everything that has to get instructed in 8 months, you realize 2k rounds is pretty good for an academy.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
It’s never enough
When you actually know everything that has to get instructed in 8 months, you realize 2k rounds is pretty good for an academy.
I also don't think 8 months is enough.

Hell, for me to train some one from green to even a decent unskilled laborer takes longer then that. 3-5 years before they can make me money and about 10 too where they can pay for themselves and thier laborers.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Where in Idaho are you and where you going?

We're currently in Hayden, looking to stay somewhat close in but get some space. We're working on a house in Rathdrum on 5 acres. Literally 5.5 miles due north of where we are now.

milkmoney

Reaction score
We're currently in Hayden, looking to stay somewhat close in but get some space. We're working on a house in Rathdrum on 5 acres. Literally 5.5 miles due north of where we are now.
You know rathdrum is in the snow belt. Gets hammered

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tank

Reaction score
That's way up in the panhandle! Like Milk said, it gets HAMMERED up there. We have land on Pend Orielle.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
You know rathdrum is in the snow belt. Gets hammered

yes sir. That doesn't scare me one bit. Plow attachment for our side by side, or if needed I can always get one for my truck. My wife and I love the snow, and working from home I don't have to leave the house very often if I don't want to. :)

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
That's way up in the panhandle! Like Milk said, it gets HAMMERED up there. We have land on Pend Orielle.

Where on Pend Orielle? We haven't explored too much up that way beyond Sandpoint.

milkmoney

Reaction score
yes sir. That doesn't scare me one bit. Plow attachment for our side by side, or if needed I can always get one for my truck. My wife and I love the snow, and working from home I don't have to leave the house very often if I don't want to. :)
Lol. Yore in the right spot then. ...
Do you go to any hockey games in Spokane....GO CHIEFS [emoji106][emoji202]

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
I’ve net three Ex Californians in the last three weeks. The one today was retired LEO. NC is closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Lol. Yore in the right spot then. ...
Do you go to any hockey games in Spokane....GO CHIEFS [emoji106][emoji202]

We've been to a few Chiefs games and a few Indians games. How long until the PC crowd makes them change the names????
We try to stay away from Spokane as much as possible. Pretty much the only time I head over there is to go to the airport. We like the "small town" living. Probably a big change from when you lived here.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I also don't think 8 months is enough.

Hell, for me to train some one from green to even a decent unskilled laborer takes longer then that. 3-5 years before they can make me money and about 10 too where they can pay for themselves and thier laborers.

Okay now, again good bye

8 months academy
12 months field training
Build your career from there

And four years to be a base Bomb Tech after basic HDS school
10 years EOD
I am now a Master Blaster
Next

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Congrats, Riley1 on getting out!

Sunset last night
View attachment 779762
And winter
View attachment 779763

How far north?

milkmoney

Reaction score
We've been to a few Chiefs games and a few Indians games. How long until the PC crowd makes them change the names????
We try to stay away from Spokane as much as possible. Pretty much the only time I head over there is to go to the airport. We like the "small town" living. Probably a big change from when you lived here.
I lived in post falls and yes I thought Spokane was very big
I agree on the names. I love chiefs hockey ...

TCHB

Reaction score
What cities are the people leaving California? Our good friends in Newport think we were crazy moving to the small town out in the middle of two highways with no commercial airport. To each his own.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I've seen and lived in a few places around the country but my wife travels all over it...she always comes home and says there's nothing like CA.

Riley1

Reaction score
well, after a stressful night and day. The Uhaul is unloaded and turned in. Garage is full of shit. I’ve got some “musical boats” to play but we have our keys and are sleeping here tonight. Time for a beer.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
What cities are the people leaving California? Our good friends in Newport think we were crazy moving to the small town out in the middle of two highways with no commercial airport. To each his own.
Just curious Tony. Did you ever consider keeping your house in HB and having a house in Havasu. I go back and forth with no problem. Its only 280 miles for me. I have several friends that are retired and do the same thing. Havasu is my vacation spot. YL is where I live.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
well, after a stressful night and day. The Uhaul is unloaded and turned in. Garage is full of shit. I’ve got some “musical boats” to play but we have our keys and are sleeping here tonight. Time for a beer.

Any estimate on mileage with that 26 footer?
Pulling a boat.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
So they are moving their warehouses closer to the docks, but they don't pay any decent wages. When I left Mo Valley they where and still are planning millions of square feet of warehouses that the residents don't want. So that us the growth you always talk about.
The new warehouse that I'm referring to isn't in Mo Valley. ;) :)

TCHB

Reaction score
Just curious Tony. Did you ever consider keeping your house in HB and having a house in Havasu. I go back and forth with no problem. Its only 280 miles for me. I have several friends that are retired and do the same thing. Havasu is my vacation spot. YL is where I live.
We bought the Havasu home in 2001 and had both homes for a long time. We decided we just did not want to continue maintaining 3 homes. We also have a home in Henderson NV by my daughter. We though about it real hard but decided to down size and make life a little simpler. I have nothing bad to say about living in HB. If we would have stayed I would be hanging out with older surf crowd. Great place to live while raising a family.