WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Got a chance to see Cobra's new 270 Python today...

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
I doubt it...that's faster than Nordic, Howard and anyone else with a 565. I'd say they'd need at least a 600 to see those speeds.

is the Cobra not allowed to go that fast

just wondering where your going with that

what about weight and wet surface , they may be different

HavaToon

Reaction score
is the Cobra not allowed to go that fast

just wondering where your going with that

what about weight and wet surface , they may be different

By all means Cobra is allowed to go that fast, but as I stated "I doubt" it did with just the 565. Show me the GPS and I'll be a believer and I'll congratulate the new owner and cobra on their achievement.

Regardless of numbers...beautiful boat, I saw it on the water over the 4th. Enjoy the hell out of it and when/if you want more whipple is already developing ECU upgrades and full kits.

Sbarry

Reaction score
I doubt it...that's faster than Nordic, Howard and anyone else with a 565. I'd say they'd need at least a 600 to see those speeds.

Ok so if the Cobra did 85, that's a huge difference from high 80's? Pretty lame to even debate. This boat came out great. Another awesome build from Cobra IMO.

On another note, I don't think I'd put Nordic in the same class as Howard, but maybe that's just me [emoji1] not knocking Nordic at all, just saying

riverroyal

Reaction score
Ok so if the Cobra did 85, that's a huge difference from high 80's? Pretty lame to even debate. This boat came out great. Another awesome build from Cobra IMO.

On another note, I don't think I'd put Nordic in the same class as Howard, but maybe that's just me [emoji1] not knocking Nordic at all, just saying

it really isn't. If you can afford a 565 or 600 and the insurance that goes with it,you are concerned about true top speeds. Every 1 MPH cost about $2000 more once you start getting into those numbers. If you don't care about top speed you throw a 8.2 in there and call it a day.

Ive spent time recently in both Howards and Nordics factory, they are both in the same class, they both do certain things better than the other.

how much is this Cobra?

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
By all means Cobra is allowed to go that fast, but as I stated "I doubt" it did with just the 565. Show me the GPS and I'll be a believer and I'll congratulate the new owner and cobra on their achievement.

Regardless of numbers...beautiful boat, I saw it on the water over the 4th. Enjoy the hell out of it and when/if you want more whipple is already developing ECU upgrades and full kits.

ok got it
it's the motor and it's limits :thumbup:

what increase in HP you think would come from a whipple kit and would the wear and tear be worth the effort and expense
I have heard resale is hard with that kind of mod done

HavaToon

Reaction score
Before I respond to anyone else...Vicious 13 you have a beautiful boat, congrats on the new build. By no means am I knocking what you have created, in fact I think you built a winner. Enjoy your boat and if you see me on the water say hi and I'll have a beer with you.

Sbarry

Reaction score
it really isn't. If you can afford a 565 or 600 and the insurance that goes with it,you are concerned about true top speeds. Every 1 MPH cost about $2000 more once you start getting into those numbers. If you don't care about top speed you throw a 8.2 in there and call it a day.

Ive spent time recently in both Howards and Nordics factory, they are both in the same class, they both do certain things better than the other.

how much is this Cobra?

I see your point that every MPH matters at this level... Rich people problems!! Lol [emoji106]

HavaToon

Reaction score
ok got it
it's the motor and it's limits :thumbup:

what increase in HP you think would come from a whipple kit and would the wear and tear be worth the effort and expense
I have heard resale is hard with that kind of mod done

That's exactly what I was getting at; the motor is the limiting factor not the boat.

Here's where I was getting my comparable data from:
29-foot Nordic Deck Boat with 565, 27″ Bravo I FS turned 5450 RPM @ 74.8 mph. http://www.mercuryracing.com/blog/fs-deck-boat-2/#more-8907
28 Howard SD with 600, 5 blade did 87mph. http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/content.php?408-Howard-Sport-Deck-Merc-600-90-mph-Video

Whipple has a ECU upgrade already $895 for 20HP, 25 pounds of torque, bumped limiter to 6000rpm and estimated gains of 1-3mph. As for the supercharger it?s not out yet but the article from Speed on the Water says it will be soon for the 520, 540 and 565. Based on the 525 kit it?s about a 50% HP increase for $11,000 plus install. Using those same figures the 565 would come in around 850HP and now we are talking triple digit potential. As you stated with more HP and speed comes additional wear and tear, whether it?s worth it or not that's up to you but everyone that I know who has done has been extremely happy with the results.

Sbarry

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was getting at; the motor is the limiting factor not the boat.

Here's where I was getting my comparable data from:
29-foot Nordic Deck Boat with 565, 27″ Bravo I FS turned 5450 RPM @ 74.8 mph. http://www.mercuryracing.com/blog/fs-deck-boat-2/#more-8907
28 Howard SD with 600, 5 blade did 87mph. http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/content.php?408-Howard-Sport-Deck-Merc-600-90-mph-Video

Whipple has a ECU upgrade already $895 for 20HP, 25 pounds of torque, bumped limiter to 6000rpm and estimated gains of 1-3mph. As for the supercharger it?s not out yet but the article from Speed on the Water says it will be soon for the 520, 540 and 565. Based on the 525 kit it?s about a 50% HP increase for $11,000 plus install. Using those same figures the 565 would come in around 850HP and now we are talking triple digit potential. As you stated with more HP and speed comes additional wear and tear, whether it?s worth it or not that's up to you but everyone that I know who has done has been extremely happy with the results.

Great info [emoji106]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Before I respond to anyone else...Vicious 13 you have a beautiful boat, congrats on the new build. By no means am I knocking what you have created, in fact I think you built a winner. Enjoy your boat and if you see me on the water say hi and I'll have a beer with you.

Your all good my boat it the 230 razor being built [emoji2]. I did just speak w hern though to ask about pricing on this boat and he did mention this boat will see 90 mph fwiw. My buddy is thinking of throwing the 8.2 in one and they said he would see around 70 they are guessing but have never run that boat that motor

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
8.2 to the 565 is some big bucks though after upgrading steering and what not

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
It ran in the high 80's with a 565?

RD

Maybe it has one of those speedos that 2FF has on his Chetah...they are good for 10-15mph. : )

I talked with Jeff today (owner of Cobra Performance Boats) he said the initial test at Elsinore, he saw 88mph. Early morning, glassy water conditions, one occupant, and probably not a lot of fuel. Most know Elsinore is a slow lake, and a cat likes some chop.
Owner of the boat reports he was seeing 85 last weekend in Havasu, with people in the boat, and a decent amount of fuel.
Speedo is GPS, not sure if they get happy like the old speedos used to do, and give an extra few MPH....
PB did a photo shoot and some testing of the boat last week, so hopefully soon those "real numbers" will be out.

Again, I hear the owner is thoroughly happy with the boat.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
At the end of the day, this is all that matters. Congrats to the lucky owner!!

You're right, in the big scheme of things, that's why we buy the boat we buy, but lets face it, we all want to get the most performance out of our boats that we can, and there are times when we want to brag a little over the performance we get.
Like Riverroyal said, I am sure the new owner would love to be able to tell his buddies that his new boat with the 565 broke the 90 MPH barrier. But to me, that thing looks like it's doing 100 when it's sitting on the trailer.:thumbup:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I think we will be seeing another python getting built very shortly seems like a lot of interest. My buddy is really considering but he is thinking of just running the 8.2 mag he can't justify 2k per mph

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
That 27 looks great! Congratulations to the new owner. :thumbsup

My 27 open bow Daytona has a whippled 525, estimated @ 700 HP (no dyno) and the best GPS I've seen on the lake is 93, lapped 28. It will run mid 80's in the heat. Those are some outstanding numbers from the Python.