WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Got A LOT of gas to get rid of

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
******canceled the appointment, there will be no free gas. We aren't going to be out there this weekend. Plus after seeing Fucktard Bidens gas prices go even higher this week, we will deal with the soot.********

So recently found out that my boat has a 100 gallon belly tank. It has a Merc Racing 525 in it and the previous owner thought that since it is a mercury racing motor, you had to run 91 in it.

Anyway, I have 3/4 a tank of 91 in the boat and am going to have my mechanic pump it out, as I don't want the black soot on my transom. Being that it is such a large amount of fuel, I wanted to throw it out there to you guys to see if anyone wants to come by the shop when we are pumping it out and fill up your car, truck, boat, SXS, etc.??

Last edited:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
So recently found out that my boat has a 100 gallon belly tank. It has a Merc Racing 525 in it and the previous owner thought that since it is a mercury racing motor, you had to run 91 in it.

Anyway, I have 3/4 a tank of 91 in the boat and am going to have my mechanic pump it out, as I don't want the black soot on my transom. Being that it is such a large amount of fuel, I wanted to throw it out there to you guys to see if anyone wants to come by the shop when we are pumping it out and fill up your car, truck, boat, SXS, etc.?? My appointment is Friday 5/20 at 8am with J&J Performance Marine off Sweetwater and Acoma.
You should at least ask for beer donations....😆

Good on you man, what a generous offer!

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
One tank isn’t going to kill the boat is it? Didn’t you have it ceramic coated?

Sell it to Jeremy lol
Would 3/4 of a tank make that much soot? Probably just wipe off at the end of the day.

No, one tank isn't going to kill it, but I did have it coated and detailed so don't really want to deal with it. I didn't pay for the gas, previous owner did so not a big deal to me. Just want to start fresh.........lol

outboard_256

Reaction score
No, one tank isn't going to kill it, but I did have it coated and detailed so don't really want to deal with it. I didn't pay for the gas, previous owner did so not a big deal to me. Just want to start fresh.........lol

Valid reasons, was just curious.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Pump it into my 300!!! Additionaly, I run 91 in my 525's and it doesnt soot up?
If you are there, bring it by. Mercury recommends 87 in the 525. Surprised you are not getting soot. Keep an eye on your plugs too.

Reactions: DWC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run 91 in my 525's and it doesnt soot up?
A 525 only has 8.75:1 compression. The higher the octane, the slower the fuel burns so putting high octane fuel in a low compression engine will cause it to run rich, soot or not. 525s make the most horsepower with 87. If you raise the compression or add boost, then you need higher octane.

Hammer

Reaction score
A 525 only has 8.75:1 compression. The higher the octane, the slower the fuel burns so putting high octane fuel in a low compression engine will cause it to run rich, soot or not. 525s make the most horsepower with 87. If you raise the compression or add boost, then you need higher octane.
I appreciate the insight. I will have no problem paying for 87. In my Carburetor boats I am always used to running 91, Always had at least 9:1.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I used 91 not for the added power but thought the fuel would last longer if I didn't use it for a month... Not sure if that is true or not...
With my Howard, I would just put some STABIL Marine in with every fill up for the off chance I wouldn't use it for a month or longer.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Anyway, I have 3/4 a tank of 91 in the boat and am going to have my mechanic pump it out, as I don't want the black soot on my transom. Being that it is such a large amount of fuel, I wanted to throw it out there to you guys to see if anyone wants to come by the shop when we are pumping it out and fill up your car, truck, boat, SXS, etc.?? My appointment is Friday 5/20 at 8am with J&J Performance Marine off Sweetwater and Acoma.
Why not fill up your own vehicles and a few gas cans?
BALLER!

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Why not fill up your own vehicles and a few gas cans?
BALLER!
I am, but tank was full when I took the boat out and only ran to springs and back. There will be at least 50 gallons to get rid of after filling up the SUV.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I run 91 with my stage 4 600s and it soots pretty bad. Stock 600s will run 87 recommended.

Reactions: DWC

badgas

Reaction score
The man is offering free gas 👍

Go get it !

Riverryder

Reaction score
I run 91 with my stage 4 600s and it soots pretty bad. Stock 600s will run 87 recommended.
i run 91 in mine leavea alot of soot on transom. but motor builder said to run it. before it blew i threw a quarter tank of 89 to et back to the truck one day. next time out the motor went boooooommmm powwwww suckkkkaa. soot all day not maken the 12k mistake again!

78Southwind

Reaction score
i run 91 in mine leavea alot of soot on transom. but motor builder said to run it. before it blew i threw a quarter tank of 89 to et back to the truck one day. next time out the motor went boooooommmm powwwww suckkkkaa. soot all day not maken the 12k mistake again!

With a boat, I have always been a fat and happy kind of guy. I have only run 91 in every boat I have owned unless it wasn't available.

Nordie

Reaction score
Just keep adding 87 until you burn through it. It shouldn't take long at all...

Matt Mead

Reaction score
I used 91 not for the added power but thought the fuel would last longer if I didn't use it for a month... Not sure if that is true or not...
I'm pretty sure the "light ends", or more volatile stuff, breaks off and evaps out the same speed no matter what grade it is. Also, if they are ~E10 and not pure race fuel, they are both trying their hardest to suck the water out of the air. Stabilizers actually work, though. And if you ever find the scientific studies, gasoline starts going "bad" way quicker than you think. And somehow I can still get my outboard to run on 2 year old gas, so whatever, lol.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I had not used my boat in about 6 months so I filled it with 91. It’s a 525 ran several days in Parker with no soot. I figured the fuel In it had lost a bunch octane from sitting. As stated I would fill it with 87 and run it.

Englewood

Reaction score
I have a 525 also (with a whipple). What should I run?

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

If you get in a bind and nobody wants the gas I'll drive my Chevy to the levy. It holds about 70 gals ...for a good reason.

I'm usually looking for a reason to go to Havasu to get more crap that I don't need and this would make the trip worthwhile. :)

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
So i'm confused will i have a quarter tank of gas in the cig when we come back to havasu and owe someone a ride

:)

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Stop being a little weenie and slap a ProCharger on it then 91 is mandatory.

I’d drain to fill the tow vehicle than top with 87, then just add 87 before each weekend it’ll be fine. The small amount of soot that way isn’t barely noticeable anyway. We topped off before the regatta with 91, about 45-50 gallons as we didn’t wanna risk having too much 87 in the boat when i drove her to ProCharger and the difference with 50/50 wasn’t noticeable in power or mess on the transom. However when i filled it with straight 91, it was pretty sooty.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
f875hcm74jp21.jpg

instagator

Reaction score

Waste of time, I had 2 525,s....You would never know what fuel your running by the transom soot, and you should run 91 in that motor. Mercury says to run 89 for advertising...If you run 89 , you timing will retard to keep it from detonating . Any High perf motor that says run regular instead of premium means you can, It will always run better with higher octane. Also my 525 s would pull a little More RPM with Premium .

instagator

Reaction score
Waste of time, I had 2 525,s....You would never know what fuel your running by the transom soot, and you should run 91 in that motor. Mercury says to run 89 for advertising...If you run 89 , you timing will retard to keep it from detonating . Any High perf motor that says run regular instead of premium means you can, It will always run better with higher octane. Also my 525 s would pull a little More RPM with Premium .
Octane will not make it run richer, My 525,s ran the same reg or prem fuel, It ran a few more RPM with Prem....