WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Got a question for me? Shoot! Or suggestions?

Malik

Reaction score
Good question.. I’m open to suggestions?

I could do some free swag for those types of threads.. but honestly bribing for content has never worked out historically..

Any ideas?
You seem to know a ton of guys that probably have projects going. Could you go do write ups on the current state of their projects and then convince them to just keep providing you pics throughout their project and you will post them for them?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
How can you get more people to post pics of their boat restorations? That’s why I originally started visiting this site. I really miss the hotrod boating content.
Good question.. I’m open to suggestions?

I could do some free swag for those types of threads.. but honestly bribing for content has never worked out historically..

Any ideas?

when keyboard warriors quit chastizing them is the short answer. I can and have taken it in stride and fire back on the couple I have done but a lot of people dont like getting raked over the coals for the choices they make during their restorations.

I believe Dave is on the right track here by getting the mood around this place fixed. They will come back naturally if all us inmates behave ourselves; people will start sharing their lives with us again.

Im currently working on:

62 Ford Fairlane

65 Cobra Replica

14 Moomba Mondo

73 Hallet flatty

I update them as I have time to work on them.

but my gas tanks for the Hallett showed up last week 😉
20220428_222023.jpg

JayBreww

Reaction score
How can you get more people to post pics of their boat restorations? That’s why I originally started visiting this site. I really miss the hotrod boating content.
I second this.
I remember following a members restoration, think his name was chad or something, younger guy, restoring the floors and stuff on his old bote. He went all the way down to the stringers I think.
Think he lived with his mom or something like that. Great thread.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I still think we need minimum picture post requirements. 1 - focus you damn lens .. 2 - clean you damn lens .. 3 - post pics that are large enough to see without a magnifying glass.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I second this.
I remember following a members restoration, think his name was chad or something, younger guy, restoring the floors and stuff on his old bote. He went all the way down to the stringers I think.
Think he lived with his mom or something like that. Great thread.
I third this, i do alot of boat / car / race car stuff and post very little of it because i dont want or need comments like change out blah for blah or it i would of painted it green or some other BS. im all for giving creative and constructive input on a project, and i welcome questions on how our why but just crapping all over it because you would have done different adds nothing and makes people hesitant to post projects i think.

j21black

Reaction score
When is Elon Musk going to provide you a LOI concerning purchase of RDP?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
when keyboard warriors quit chastizing them is the short answer. I can and have taken it in stride and fire back on the couple I have done but a lot of people dont like getting raked over the coals for the choices they make during their restorations.

I believe Dave is on the right track here by getting the mood around this place fixed. They will come back naturally if all us inmates behave ourselves; people will start sharing their lives with us again.

Im currently working on:

62 Ford Fairlane

65 Cobra Replica

14 Moomba Mondo

73 Hallet flatty

I update them as I have time to work on them.

but my gas tanks for the Hallett showed up last week 😉 View attachment 1112748
100% correct.
If we all had the same taste the problem wouldn't exist... boredom ensues.
That Utopia isn't a reality.

kurtis500

Reaction score
What previous scumbag member you kicked off are you most worried about meeting in a dark alley??

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
Ok here is one Dave..in the toy syndicate, how about a search by price . High - Low . Lookin good. Keep it up.

Badold65

Reaction score
I would like to see a link to the current water temp in Lake Havasu. And then possibly a way for others to link in current water temps in the waterways they frequent. Love this site, Keep up the Great work.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What previous scumbag member you kicked off are you most worried about meeting in a dark alley??

Zero.. never lived my life in fear and I’m not gonna start now.. besides if we are in a dark alley it’s pretty much guaranteed one of us has a gun.. lol. Dunno if the other guy does? But I know I do. 🤪

RD

riverroyal

Reaction score
What ever happened to the guy living in his car, or blazer in santa ana? People here brought him food and stuff. Few years back

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a question . . .
In a Cheech & Chong voice, "Hey Who Cut-Chore Hair" ?!?!? . . . Remember that one from "Claaassss . . . Classsss"!!!!! 🤣
J/K . . . 🤙🤙🤙

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What ever happened to the guy living in his car, or blazer in santa ana? People here brought him food and stuff. Few years back

I will cover the last three, names not included.

There have been a number of members that have fallen on hard times. In most cases rdp comes together and gives what is call more than a fair shake to get back on their feet.

In some cases they do just that.. in others they don’t and they keep needing more and more.

In the particular case that you are talking about, the more than a fair shake happened, right down to work boots and a job at the refinery.. for one reason or another things kept not working out. I paid several cell phone bills privately after the fact because I figured he needed the phone to get sustainable work. This went on for a long time.. (bare in mind at the time we were treading water just barely affording to go have fun on the weekends).

One time I’m in Vegas with Stacy and we were out having fun, but we didn’t have a ton of money. Phone rings, another cell phone bill.. Stacy said that was enough of that shit, so I said it had to be the last time.

There’s actually quite a few of these stories.. some are comedic in nature.. Not saying who it is, but there was a guy that posted up he needed help, and he called me and said he needed a travel trailer to be able to work mobile. I was thinking “ok.” Anyhow this gets going and the call comes in that he had found one that is perfect, it was some ridiculous number like 28,000.00. 😳. I literally said “wtf?” I was thinking like a 4,000.00 special here.. he calmly said “it’s last years model, not like I’m shooting for best of the best here.”

Honestly it jaded the fuck out of me on helping people out so I tend to try and keep those kinds things off rdp now.

Bare in mind I am in no way talking shit.. people I suppose have different ideas out of life than I got. If that kinda shit hit me and my family there’s no limits to what I’d do to provide.

The last one I can remember something happened to a member, and the thread went on it was pretty sad what happened. He started asking for money..

I was thinking “At what point do you sell the boat?”

Very few if any donated, I’d assume because people were thinking the same thing as me.. half the time the guy was posting asking for money he was doing it in his boat on the water? Lol. He doesn’t post here anymore, I’m assuming irritated that the community didn’t come together for him.

Yeah… no. When you are sitting on a 40/50,000 paid off asset you probably shouldn’t be pan handling.

I guess I was raised differently.. I would have a real hard time taking charity money from anyone.. short term loan? Maybe.. but I’d work at the 7/11 3 shifts before I take charity if that is what it took to pay the bills until I can get going again.

Nowadays though.. shit the havasu state of mind people literally tried to fund raise on IG for people to buy them a truck so they could tour the country and cover poker runs.. 😳. That’s their biz and I am not capping on them, I Just don’t understand it.

Maybe I’m living in a different world than everyone else.

46BEC0C0-BF88-4676-85EA-6944F7F4D8C8.png

Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
Would that be Rice Road Marty? Guy that picked up trash and rode the quad that later relocated to O'Neil Park in Trabuco Canyon.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Thru the years you've done a ton of good things for people. But, it is amazing, what some people feel just fine asking for or thinking they deserve.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I will cover the last three, names not included.

There have been a number of members that have fallen on hard times. In most cases rdp comes together and gives what is call more than a fair shake to get back on their feet.

In some cases they do just that.. in others they don’t and they keep needing more and more.

In the particular case that you are talking about, the more than a fair shake happened, right down to work boots and a job at the refinery.. for one reason or another things kept not working out. I paid several cell phone bills privately after the fact because I figured he needed the phone to get sustainable work. This went on for a long time.. (bare in mind at the time we were treading water just barely affording to go have fun on the weekends).

One time I’m in Vegas with Stacy and we were out having fun, but we didn’t have a ton of money. Phone rings, another cell phone bill.. Stacy said that was enough of that shit, so I said it had to be the last time.

There’s actually quite a few of these stories.. some are comedic in nature.. Not saying who it is, but there was a guy that posted up he needed help, and he called me and said he needed a travel trailer to be able to work mobile. I was thinking “ok.” Anyhow this gets going and the call comes in that he had found one that is perfect, it was some ridiculous number like 28,000.00. 😳. I literally said “wtf?” I was thinking like a 4,000.00 special here.. he calmly said “it’s last years model, not like I’m shooting for best of the best here.”

Honestly it jaded the fuck out of me on helping people out so I tend to try and keep those kinds things off rdp now.

Bare in mind I am in no way talking shit.. people I suppose have different ideas out of life than I got. If that kinda shit hit me and my family there’s no limits to what I’d do to provide.

The last one I can remember something happened to a member, and the thread went on it was pretty sad what happened. He started asking for money..

I was thinking “At what point do you sell the boat?”

Very few if any donated, I’d assume because people were thinking the same thing as me.. half the time the guy was posting asking for money he was doing it in his boat on the water? Lol. He doesn’t post here anymore, I’m assuming irritated that the community didn’t come together for him.

Yeah… no. When you are sitting on a 40/50,000 paid off asset you probably shouldn’t be pan handling.

I guess I was raised differently.. I would have a real hard time taking charity money from anyone.. short term loan? Maybe.. but I’d work at the 7/11 3 shifts before I take charity if that is what it took to pay the bills until I can get going again.

Nowadays though.. shit the havasu state of mind people literally tried to fund raise on IG for people to buy them a truck so they could tour the country and cover poker runs.. 😳. That’s their biz and I am not capping on them, I Just don’t understand it.

Maybe I’m living in a different world than everyone else.

View attachment 1113706
I don't get it either. If you can afford to eat out, buy alcohol, buy cigarettes, or get tattoo's then there is no reason to ask for money. Typically I find people that are asking for money are at the same time buying 2 of those 4.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Any idea's on other ways to qualify to be able to post in the Guns and Ammo section? I have some ammo to sell. 9mm, 5.56, 44 MAG, .308, .380, 38 Super...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@RiverDave wait thats islandgirl asking someone to buy them a truck?

Is that rhetorical? It’s still posted if ya want to see it with this picture.
00F85D77-739B-4286-B84F-8B3AA11DEF1C.png

Would that be Rice Road Marty? Guy that picked up trash and rode the quad that later relocated to O'Neil Park in Trabuco Canyon.

No.. Marty worked his ass off. Strangely the government employees down there didn’t like him for some reason? I thought he was a huge asset to the desert.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
do you enjoy the “celebrity” of being riverdave having a huge community? Are there times where you’re just trying to eat dinner with family and someone comes up and talks your ear off? You live in a somewhat small community it just seems like you probably can’t take two steps without someone recognizing you.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Is that rhetorical? It’s still posted if ya want to see it with this picture.
idk who’s behind Instagram handles? I know she’s all over the page. Didn’t know it was her who ran it was just asking for confirmation. Sorry to bother you big man
People are crazy.
you would think they could sell the noridc, keep or Harley they have to buy a truck. How do you buy a trailer and not have a truck? Beyond me.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
do you enjoy the “celebrity” of being riverdave having a huge community? Are there times where you’re just trying to eat dinner with family and someone comes up and talks your ear off? You live in a somewhat small community it just seems like you probably can’t take two steps without someone recognizing you.

Honestly I never really consider myself a "celebrity." A lot of people say "The RiverDave" and I invariably tell them "I dunno about the "the" part". (holy shit double quotes..LOL).

That said I am a pretty social person by nature so I actually enjoy running into people everywhere we go, and saying hello etc. I will say there is two things that are kinda going against me nowadays. The website is getting bigger and bigger, so it's literally impossible to "know" everyone by name / face etc.. because it's 1,000's of people now. That and I'm getting older so my memory isn't as good as it used to be. I run into a lot of people and I'm thinking to myself "I've never seen this guy before in my life" and they are telling me some story about how we hung out and did something, and actually have some story about it.. :oops: LOL.

The answer to your question though is yes I do enjoy being "riverdave". I always enjoy seeing people wearing the rdp logo, and I especially like it when it's someone wearing one that has no idea it's me they are talking too. It means to me the brand is growing, and bigger than just some guy that liked to party down in the keys in Parker.

There are some perks to owning the site, that are nice as well, better deals on boat parts, or even free etc.. There is a downside to it all though as well. Walking the high wire is stressful sometimes, and you are about one good fuck up away from losing it all. LOL. (Think about it).

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Had a lurker ask me

Why is it called "RiverDavesPlace".

I found Hotboat in Jun 2001.. I didn't know it before, but I guess it was a "paid" forum previous to me joining it, and they had just made it a free forum a month or two before I joined.

Back then it was primarily drag boat guys, and weirdly I can still remember some of their screen names like "pon pon racing" etc.. Most of those guys were not impressed with the new group of guys that joined. Point in fact when the site went free, most of them relegated themselves to the tech forums etc. It was a really cool place at first.

I was "hooked" and I mean "hooked." I'd goto work and spend hours on that thing everyday.. It wasn't long before I had the largest post count on the entire board, and in the sandbar (which was there "lounge") I'd reply to a thread, and a few minutes laster I'd refresh the page and every single thread on the damn thing had my name at the end of it as the last response. LOL.

Something I'm assuming most have figured out by now is I type pretty fast.. About as fast as most people talk is how fast I type just "normally" not in a rush. (thank my mom for getting me all those typing classes when I was a kid)

Anyhow I really enjoyed the shit out of it, and the "innocence" of it all when it first started.

There was people from all over the place and they all had different experiences, on what the river was to them. A lot of them had different experiences boating. The website was growing and growing fast.

At some point I ran into some straight ghetto rats in Parker at Sundance. Some other people were talking about how ghetto rats had kinda become more prominent as well, and I started a thread called "Trouble at the River". Seems naive now, but I suggested we all grab some coolers and get together on a Saturday night and drink and figure out what to do about the problem (if anything). There was initially six guys that were bringing coolers, which is where the military themed "Operation six Coolers" came from or OP6C.

At one point I started getting a little concerned about this program because a ton of people claimed they were coming, and this was gonna be larger than a usual house party of 40-50 people. Back then I used to hang out with a wrecking ball crew (they were all giant guys, that "sometimes" liked to fight."). The crew wanted to goto the bars, I said I'm gonna hang back at the house and kinda see what happens.

Not that it has anything to do with it, but I should mention a guy named "Tom" aka Slick (Not the same slick as on here I believe). was the first guy I ever met off the boards. We went to Sundance with a couple of strippers I had brought with me from Cali.. I think there was another guy named "Ed" that was a buddy of his I met as well. Just throwing it in there for historical context.

Anyhow the afternoon comes, and Scott Earnst and his Dad swung by for a bit.. Then boat cop stopped by. It was kinda cool meeting these random guys that I had talked to for awhile, but never met in person.

Later in the night H4215 (Terry), I'm pretty sure RiverCrazy aka RCDave on here came by, Racing Rascal.. Than Jon West from Ultra, Kevin Spaise from Hotboat Magazine. FroggyStyle (Wes). There was probably 2-3 boats of people and some others showed up in cars.

Totally fun little party, with a bunch of random dudes that I could honestly say I didn't know outside of online.

The OP6 Parties were some of the most fun, and cherished memories I ever had. Honestly it was like sixth grade camp but for adults with a shit ton of booze.. LOL. The kinda shit you come home from the weekend and you are so tired you sleep for two days, because you had so much fun.

I remember after the first one I believe everyone was dead after the weekend.. Finally someone that didn't go posted a thread

Where's the &^*)&)*^%'ing PICTURES! Because the whole website was kinda waiting to see how it turned out.. LOL

Part 2 coming up..

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Anyhow the website was growing like I said, and it was a shit ton of fun.. It was also like the Thunderdome, people were fighting about all kinds of shit. Sky is blue! Fuck you it's light blue.. Honestly it was kinda awesome.. LOL.

As with anything though ya get a few people that suck. There was no moderators on the forum, other than one admin guy who other than site maintenance didn't really care.

Even though to this day I have never watched the show survivor.. I remember someone telling me something about voting off the island.. So I started this thread "Tribal Drums". (((((Boom)))))) (((((Boom)))). To literally vote some of these people off the island or website as it were..

Whenever you see that joke on here posted by a member you know they are some seriously old school people to know about it.

Hotboat eventually asked me and Wes and a couple others to become moderators on the website. Worst job ever.. To take total chaos like that and try to get a handle on it was a fucking nightmare, and I wasted literally 100 hours of my life on that bullshit. I know Wes did too as well as others.

It wasn't all bad though, there was some awesome posters, with awesome stories, doing awesome shit, and there was still the parties. (This is still in the earlier days). I miss some of those guys a lot.. LVJetboy, Flat Broke (Chris Lloyd), Her454, RiverToysJas, so many I couldn't even list them all. Just awesome people doing awesome shit with their lives.

OP6C had grown quite a bit, and we actually setup a little forum for it. It was never supposed to be a big forum, or anything. There was some politics involved in it (anytime you get a group together that's gonna happen).. I never talked about it, but I was going through a lot of shit in my life right around that time as well.. It was going though and I think there ended up being 10-11 total parties, all of which were awesome.

At some point after that I got contacted by a guy named Havasu Barney. He said he wanted to talk to me about setting up a new website. I was pretty comfortable on Hotboat, and didn't really want to do it. He drove from Havasu to Irvine and literally camped out at my house until I agreed to do it. So we Started Havasu Barney's next..

That website was actually done professionally and had a ton of "potential" to be something larger than even rdp is.. A member on hot boat worked for some fortune 500 company and they had their web designers do the site surrounding the forum.. It was pretty bad ass.

So I spent 24 hrs a day on Havasu Barneys.. Building the forum up from scratch along side Barney. I really enjoyed meeting him, just a totally different kinda dude from anyone I had ever met before. Guy was kinda reggae, kinda party, always down for whatever.

Anyhow as the forums got larger we had some differences of opinion on how to run things (it is inevitable, as nobodies utopia is the same as another). We got into a bit of an argument over it, and I left and went back to Hotboat. Barney's was fine and continued to be so.

Not long after that I got together with STV Keith, and Party Cat and we started RiverRatLife.com. We all built that forum together, (it is a ton of work to get one of these things off the ground in case you are wondering). I can't even remember how long it was, maybe a year? Maybe two?

Jim hacked into the actual software, and told me "we got a problem" he was showing me some peoples private messages that were basically talking shit on the site, myself etc.. but all smiles on the front end. My response was "What in the fuck are you doing reading peoples private shit?"

That was part one where him and I kinda went sideways.. They had a few moderators on the thing, and they started changing peoples posts as jokes. I tried to explain you can't do that shit, and if someone did it to me I'd never return. That mod told me that I had no sense of humor and didn't understand. About a week later I clicked on it, and my name was gone off the front page.. LOL. I went back to Hotboat.

I harbor no ill will, towards any of those guys, tell ya the truth Keith and I are still friends, and I'm planning an RV trip with him at some point.

Jim and some of the other guys just have no idea how to run forum. It didn't take long for it to die off doing things like that.

Back To Hotboat we go..

Part 3.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So awhile later I decided I wanted to have a personal website without all the bullshit.. Just build threads, and planning trips. During the beginning of RDP there wasn't even a "Lounge". I got ahold of Forensic (John) for the tech, JBB (spent as much time online as myself), and TBI, whom could chop anything and quickly. We all started rdp.

To get to the point of why it's called "riverdavesplace" I picked that name, because I wanted zero question over who owned it, to anyone. I was gonna do one my way, and if someone doesn't like the way I do it, then go start their own.

It didn't hurt that I knew the writing was on the wall for Hotboat. Chris was gonna purchase it, and Darren purchased it out from underneath him (that's Chris's brother).. Darren was backed by a money guy that was well known for frivolous lawsuits, and generally being a shit bag in the marine industry.

I left, several key members left.. H20Ski2fast created some signature images, and it was over on the quick. RDP was the new spot.

Point in fact we were grossly underprepared for it. I think we were on the 10.00 a month program for hosting. It crashed.. Went to the 20.00 it crashed. They assured me on the 25.00 it would never crash.. it crashed. LOL.

I finally told the guy. "Look I don't give a fuck what it costs.. It can't crash anymore".

We finally got it figured out. RDP was going well, and Hotboat was pretty much imploding, the vast majority of the traffic had left..

A month or two later I got a proposition...

Part 4.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I got an email asking if I would promote a new magazine / forum called Performance Boats. I pretty much said I had my own forum and I wasn't really interested.. I got a couple more e-mails asking to be involved with it. To the point "Be a lead test driver for the magazine" and a few other things.

Bare in mind at this stage in my life I have my machine shop, the idea of making money on a forum was pretty foreign to me.. (Didn't really even understand how much could be made to be honest). I was thinking "Fuck it that sounds fun". so I literally pushed a lot of rdp over to this new website and got it rolling for them.

I had my own column in the magazine which was pretty cool.. I still think they were some of the best columns ever written for the Hotboat / Performance Boat / Speed Boat aka Chris Davidson publications.

Anyhow the boat tests came... and then they went.. and I was like WTF? Where was my lead test driver phone call / invite etc.. Then I wrote one article about boating at night that was straight ruthless. It was for the online version of the magazine that virtually nobody read, so I figured I'd really tell the truth about boating at night, and how to survive it, if you are going to do it.

It was a little to real, and some panzi read it and stirred up a shit storm about it. Chris was all pissed off about it, and basically said he had to re-evaluate. We were gonna meet at the LA Boat show to talk about it. He blew me off at the boat show and I was done. So I came back to rdp and just said fuck it, this is my own little world and I'm gonna live in it..

Chris and I went round and round a few times over all that shit, but after we got together once or twice it's all behind us. I get it, he's got a lot of shit on his plate and I kinda slipped through the cracks.

Anyhow there's a lot more to the story... but that was a fun trip down memory lane, and basically wraps up why it's called rdp, and how we have come to where we are at today.

RD

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Just commenting on the goodwill of people from this site over 15 years now. It would be so easy to be cynical of helping anyone. Yet this place has advice. I’ll drive over and help you. I’ll donate parts. Hell even like Dave said basically give you money. Some have been burnt more than once I am sure. And yet most still will give support. It’s a true compliment to the site and the people on here. 👍👍

attitude

Reaction score
Well after all these years I finally figured out what OP6C stands for🤣

78Southwind

Reaction score
No, never heard of it.
It started in the late 90's and was the first boating website I found. Later, I found the pay version of Hotboat.com (Hotboat.net). Funny story... a good friend of mine moved to Sweden with his wife (she is Swedish) and he missed the river bad (like me he had been going to the river since he was a young kid). I got him to share the cost of the pay version of Hotboat. It made it even worse for him seeing all the pictures and stories so he moved back to the US/Havasu. 😆