WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Got a serious dog question here...

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I'm seriously struggling knowing when it's time. My dog will be 16 in a couple months. She's been with me a 1/3 of my life. We have have walked probably over 6000 miles together. She truly is my best friend.

She went deaf about a year ago. Recently she has gone blind. We still walk 1-1.5 miles a day every day. The walks have become very tough because I have to watch her and guide her 100% of the time or else she'll walk off curbs or runs into poles.

She has a doggy door in our house and still let's herself out to go to the bathroom but she has fallen in the pool a few times. Luckily I've been there to get her out.

She's still eating and pooping normal and is healthy minus her hearing and sight.

IMG_7068.JPG

Last edited:

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Good luck. Dealing with same issues myself. Always a challenge

spectracular

Reaction score
As long as the little one is capable of enjoying the warmth of the sun, a pet, being hugged, or otherwise experiencing companionship and love, then it is not the time. When the pet can no longer experience anything good at all, and everything has been replaced with pain and misery...then it is the time.

Slats

Reaction score
Well. I would stop letting her out alone so she doesn’t drown. If she is able to walk,eat ,and drink then keep on spending time together. Her time will come soon enough. Can you block off the pool to keep her safe?

92 cole

Reaction score
It's a tough call I have been there done that. But the one thing you really need to consider is what is best for the dog. If she is healthy and you are willing to keep an eye on her she will, in subtle ways let you know when it's time. You just need to watch her actions for the old quality of life is over. They don't have that choice and she is stuck with staying by my master. IT IS tough but sometimes the toughest thing to do is the best. Good luck. M

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I don’t have the answer but I’m in a similar scenario as you. Our “Parker” is getting close to that dog heaven.

We were close a week or two ago and then called the mobile vet to cancel. He got a second wind.

Putting him down is going to buckle me. When you’ve been blessed with the elite of man’s best friend it’s hard to imagine life without them, they’re irreplaceable it seems.

Sorry to hear bud. Hope to better understand this stuff myself so I’ll be watching this thread.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
0DB1AAAD-10B7-490F-8B2E-4E55110324B1.jpeg
63B85D91-DDFB-4747-88B0-948EC480CF3F.jpeg
Mine is a 14 year old Jack Russel and went deaf a year ago. He has been with us since day one. It was very hard for us, because something that came unexpected. But, we adopted to it and use a lot of hand signs.

I agree, as long as they are in no pain and mobile. I recently adopted 3 more. 10 year old Yorkie that is losing her hind leg mobility and bodily functions. 16 year old Pomeranian chihuahua mix who is blind from a tumor. 16 year old chihuahua mix who is losing her hearing. We love all of them like our kids and take care of them as such. It’s a lot of work sometimes. Just remember, a lot of things they use to do, no longer can’t. It’s a hard a adjustment especially with an active dog like a jack Russell. Have you had your dog checked for tumors? The deafness and blindness maybe related and the tumor maybe growing. This is my Jack Russell.

GRADS

Reaction score
I don’t have the answer but I’m in a similar scenario as you. Our “Parker” is getting close to that dog heaven.

We were close a week or two ago and then called the mobile vet to cancel. He got a second wind.

Putting him down is going to buckle me. When you’ve been blessed with the elite of man’s best friend it’s hard to imagine life without them, they’re irreplaceable it seems.

Sorry to hear bud. Hope to better understand this stuff myself so I’ll be watching this thread.
I can't even begin to imagine when that day comes, I've literally spent 24/7 with this dog for the last 10+ years. And again, we have walked over 6000 miles together.

GRADS

Reaction score
View attachment 663250 View attachment 663252 Mine is a 14 year old Jack Russel and went deaf a year ago. He has been with us since day one. It was very hard for us, because something that came unexpected. But, we adopted to it and use a lot of hand signs.

I agree, as long as they are in no pain and mobile. I recently adopted 3 more. 10 year old Yorkie that is losing her hind leg mobility and bodily functions. 16 year old Pomeranian chihuahua mix who is blind from a tumor. 16 year old chihuahua mix who is losing her hearing. We love all of them like our kids and take care of them as such. It’s a lot of work sometimes. Just remember, a lot of things they use to do, no longer can’t. It’s a hard a adjustment especially with an active dog like a jack Russell. Have you had your dog checked for tumors? The deafness and blindness maybe related and the tumor maybe growing. This is my Jack Russell.
We have not had her checked for anything lately...we realize at this point surgery is not an option for anything.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
In my experience it is when they can’t really get up anymore.
After blindness it can be soon or it can be a while. We had a long hair dachshund “Hanzi” that did fine for a year after losing his sight. Think he was about 13 or so.
We had a beagle that went deaf blind and immobile all in one month...she was 17 YO.
No one knows your pooch better than you...you will know when it’s time and won’t have to ask.

Slats

Reaction score
I feel your pain. We have had to put down a few of or best friends in the past. It a tough thing to get thru. Just enjoy her while she is still here. I'm sure she is thankful that you take care of her.

Reaction score
I'm seriously struggling knowing when it's time. My dog will be 16 in a couple months. She's been with me a 1/3 of my life. We have have walked probably over 6000 miles together. She truly is my best friend.

She went deaf about a year ago. Recently she has gone blind. We still walk 1-1.5 miles a day every day. The walks have become very tough because I have to watch her and guide her 100% of the time or else she'll walk off curbs or runs into poles.

She has a doggy door in our house and still let's herself out to go to the bathroom but she has fallen in the pool a few times. Luckily I've been there to get her out.

She's still eating and pooping normal and is healthy minus her hearing and sight.

View attachment 663238

When they can't make it outside, usually they also stop eating too. 16 years is a good run.
If you're lucky, she'll die in her sleep.
Don't wait too long before replacing her. ;)

Last edited:

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Get her one of these.
:D

Had a Dog who was deaf and blind. She lived out her days just fine. She died in her sleep. We didn't having to make the dreaded drive. Brandy knew the house, yard well. She went blind before she was deaf so that might have made a difference. Either way, She was a most impressive pet from youth to her last breath. :)

havasu5150

Reaction score
Just went through this yesterday with my Red Merle Aussie. She started coughing about 10 days ago, took her in.....cancer. yesterday when I got home her breathing was very labored, wouldn't eat, had some stuff running out of her nose.........it was time. She was only 7

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Sadly ONLY you and the wife will know when it’s time, my puppy will be 15 in two months, i truly thought it was her time almost two years ago the vet gave us all the paperwork etc as she also thought so..... we got a puppy puppy hoping she’d learn something from the old girl before it was really really time, almost two years later and at her last appointment in March the vet couldn’t figure it out, but everything was as if she was 7-8 vs 13.5.
Moral of my story is the vet wanted to put her down we decided no not yet and thank god we didn’t after all

outboardrick

Reaction score
When my Lab got sick and started going down hill I had the same dilemma. He would have good days and bad but overall seemed that he still wanted to be here. One night he came to me and collapsed at my feet.....I got to hold him and feel his heart beat its last beat. I often wonder if I waited too long, but really believe that he was still happy and wanted to be alive. It's a terribly difficult thing to go through and I truly wish you the best!

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Going through the same thing with my German Wirehair. She is 14, deaf and doesn't see all that good. The nose still works and she has not broken down yet but dementia has set in fairly bad. We just take it day by day. She still is fairly happy and enjoying life so on we go......
Time is short.

kimbalee

Reaction score
View attachment 663250 View attachment 663252 Mine is a 14 year old Jack Russel and went deaf a year ago. He has been with us since day one. It was very hard for us, because something that came unexpected. But, we adopted to it and use a lot of hand signs.

Adopted 3 senior dogs? You are a saint. Wow - made me tear up.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this Greg, The "Good bye my friend" site is very informative and will help you BIG time with making final decisions for Gracie.
Dr Rutan came to house (just 2 hour notice at 8:30pm on a Friday night) laid Chopper to sleep. So much better than vet clinic. She's very flexible and will work into your schedule.
http://www.goodbyemyfriend.net/Home_Page.html

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
As long as the little one is capable of enjoying the warmth of the sun, a pet, being hugged, or otherwise experiencing companionship and love, then it is not the time. When the pet can no longer experience anything good at all, and everything has been replaced with pain and misery...then it is the time.

Perfectly said.

I have often heard "As long as they have more good days then bad" but I feel that is just justification for us to hold on and not what is best for them.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Unfortunately Most of us always wait too long and drag out our best friends pain, because we're selfless and can't handle the pain of loss ourselves or because our dogs hide pain so well, we don't recognize it. Think about it, Every time you walk in room, your dog whether she's in pain or not, is always happy to see you and wagging her tail, fooling alot of us into thinking she's OK, when she might not be. "Goodbyemyfriend" will help you recognize and understand these signs and other helpful info.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
When the quality of life diminishes to the point they can't do much of anything, you will know.
Try not to rearrange furniture too much so she can learn and remember her way around the house.

Our 12 yo Maltise/Shitzu mix Scooter has been blind for about a year now.
Takes a lot of extra effort to find his way around, but he does. He is still in good spirits and plays with toys still.
I put a temp 3' fence outside to keep him close to the patio so he cant wander off too far.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Greg:
I'm sorry to hear about the little one. I just went through this myself. The only advice that I can offer is try to put yourself in the dogs place. If you had all the challenges that he has would you just want it to be over? It's always going to be painful for you but dont be selfish and keep him around just because your not ready, he is counting on you to do what is right for him.
When the time does come you should look for a vet that will make the trip to your house, it is far less stressful for the dog to be able to move on from home then from a cold uncaring room in the clinic. It will cost you more than twice as much but it is so worth it .

Last edited:

buck35

Reaction score
We always have big rescue dogs so have been here many times. Our vet comes out the the guy from the crematory . Far less stressful for all.
You can fairly well tell when it's time and they are suffering for our sake.:(

Tank0088

Reaction score
There is no easy time to make this decision. My wife and I are putting our 14 year old dog down this coming Friday. He has been a great dog for our boys and for our family. In the last 6-9 months we have watched two tumors grow. One is on his eye and one is on his side. His back legs are having a hard time, he can’t really hear or see. My wife and I were hoping he would just pass away in his sleep but we can’t see him like this anymore. We have been taking pictures with him and our sons and we are painting his foot print and stamping it. I know this weekend will suck and the next few months.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Sounds like she's doing fine except for the blindness and deafness. I'd consider a rigging up a short fence around the pool so she doesn't fall in when she lets herself out to do her business, then carry on as usual. You'll know when it's time, but it doesn't sound like it's now.

Cdog

Reaction score
Hold on as long as she can. I’m still heart broken about having to put down my Macy girl after 14.5 years. She had a cancer growth on her eye lid (probably from all our river trips) and it would grow back within weeks of being cut off and carterized. She would scratch at it over night and it looked like a murder scene in the morning.

Still feels like she’s missing from our family.

3380EBF6-F3A0-45D9-8D77-1AFBC577B228.jpeg

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
So you remember our Heidi dog. That was almost two years ago now. She managed just fine blind for two years.
As long as Gracie is eating and her poo looks fairly normal and she's not throwing up a lot she should be fine.
Like Susie said about Heidi, she knew it was time. :(

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Grads, I have a whole new respect for you. Any fellow dog lover is good in my book. I too have a pound pup who is close to her end. I just kennelled her for our trip to Colorado, and it broke my heart, like I abandoned her.

Keep the pup close, watch her actions, and I know your heart will know when it is time. Please just don't let it suffer at all.

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Great post Grads! Like Havasujeeper said, I have a new found respect for you.

Dogs are special creatures, enjoy your best friend as long as you can.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
When my Lab got sick and started going down hill I had the same dilemma. He would have good days and bad but overall seemed that he still wanted to be here. One night he came to me and collapsed at my feet.....I got to hold him and feel his heart beat its last beat. I often wonder if I waited too long, but really believe that he was still happy and wanted to be alive. It's a terribly difficult thing to go through and I truly wish you the best!

Extremely similar situation with my wife and her cat, i do believe that as hard as the moment was in her that it was better for both of them. And i am sure in your heart knowing he came to you to say goodbye and get final love feels way better than to ever have had your buddy put down.

outboardrick

Reaction score
Extremely similar situation with my wife and her cat, i do believe that as hard as the moment was in her that it was better for both of them. And i am sure in your heart knowing he came to you to say goodbye and get final love feels way better than to ever have had your buddy put down.
Yes, as hard as it was, I am very grateful that it happened that way. I was able to dig his grave and put him in it, and he's still in his back yard. Priceless.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Our 14 Year old went blind & deaf also. He also got confused and mean at times. I let him out this one day and after about 10 minutes (always found and barked at the door) I called then went out look'n. I found him spread eagled on his belly totally exhausted in the middle of in ice slick about 10 feet in diameter. He was to good a friend to let suffer any longer and knew it was time.

Our 17 Year old cat got slow growing cancer in his jaw, my Bo-Tat! :( And when he cringed try'n to eat soft food --- Fuck me! I Hate these threads!!! squirt'n a couple tears! FUCK!!..... and had the vet come to the house a lay'd him to rest!

A couple months ago in the same week we had to help our 17 year old Blackstar (Kidney failure) and 20 year old girl cat to join our other friends at the bridge!

:(:(:(:(

You'll know!

Sorry for you loss

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Let her die in your arms at home.

Most dogs hate the vet and know when they are en route. I will never take another pet to the vet to have 'em killed.

mobldj

Reaction score
theres 3 thing people know on here about me.....

1.i m a asshole
2. i can lose alot of weight
3. but hopefully the main thing is how much i love my dogs.the decision to let them gois the hardest thing ive ever done.in feb my grandpa dog ( in my av) just couldnt use his back legs anymore.he also had laryngeal paralysis ( basically clogged throat ) . so i loaded him in the car and took him to our vet and told him what am i gonna do without you buddy !.then took his last breath......

i cry every day for him.

sorry for the choices you have to make.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
All good info above. I lost my dog 1 year and 3 months ago and I'm still not right. I got not 1 dog but 2 this time, the male is a straight drop down from the dog I lost and the female some same blood. All though its filled 7/8 of the hole in my heart the love and companionship I had for my lost dog I don't think can ever be replaced. I've had probably 5 dogs in my life but something about this dog and I was special.

Maybe this helps Grads and I believe in another dog thread I might of posted this. Dogs give some of the most unconditional love there is, I'm sure you all know this. Super hard to say good by. My dog got cancer at 8 years old. It was the type that my specialist thought was tolerable with some expensive treatment and would give him 1 to 2 more years. As the process started you could tell the drugs were taking its toll on him and to be honest it was all for myself and the family being able to have just a bit more time with him. Looking back on it it was a really shitty thing to do to him, all for me and a terrible state to put my dog through. Selfish and something I'd never do again and will not forgive myself. When its time you'll know and don't put your dog through the pain. He was there for you his whole life now its time for you to be there for him. Don't stretch it out. Have your peace with him and let him die painless.

Two nights before my dog passed he was awaken to 2 raccoons trying to get at his food. Dog loved to hunt, hated varmints. 3/4 a sleep and not knowing what was going on, I open the back door and my dog went out and ripped up the 2 coons good. As I rushed to the fight to assist he could see me and it intensified as he wanted to protect, all this on cancer meds and having cancer. I should of never open the door. 24 hours later his health started to decline dramatically. I rushed him to the specialist and they got him a better. As I watched him hip swing down the hall to the back room looking fairly good, last alive vision I had, specialist said go home and get some sleep he'll be fine and will call ya in the morning. I forgot to take my phone off do not disturb, specialist tries to call me at 4 am as he declines rapidly, he passes and I never got my peace with him. About killed me. My peace was looking in his eyes dead, horrible.

When its time make sure your by his side. If he's closest to you be by his side and have him look into your eyes as he goes to sleep for the last time.

Sorry Grads just realized your dog is a she.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
IMO your dog will let you know when it’s time as had been said 100x in this thread already. It’s a slightly weird analogy but when I walked out of the vet after putting my dog down I was hysterical but also was able to “hold my head high” because I knew I did everything I could for my dog while he was hear and hope if/when I get to see him one day again in heaven he will thank me for the life I gave him and say I was a good dog owner.

When did these fuk’n allergies start inside my house[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRADS

Reaction score
We have already talked to our vet and he has agreed to come to the house when it is time. She freaks out when she goes to the vet so I could never imagine dragging her there for the end.

I will say that a lot of the posts in this thread with other people who have had blind dogs has given me hope. So I thank you for that. She is fortunate that she has lived in one house her entire life so she knows her way around. We have learned that moving furniture or leaving stuff out in her walkways is a no no.

Her sense of smell is so heightened it's insane! She can literally smell where we have walked in the house and sniff us out.

Also did I mention she survived cancer about 4 years ago....not many dogs do.

We have no children, this dog is our 16 year old child. Can't even imagine when she's gone but I would never let her suffer.