WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Got a stupid kid? Blame the APP...

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Nothing surprises me anymore...

Court Rules Snapchat Can be Sued Over Alleged Role in Fatal Car Crash

This week, a federal appeals court ruled that the parents of three young teenagers who died in a car crash while using Snapchat’s “speed filter,” should have the right to sue Snap over what they claim is the platform’s role in the accident.

NPR reports that in May 2017, three young men were driving at rapid speeds down a long, cornfield-lines road in Walworth County, Wisconsin.

While the 17-year-old driver of the vehicle accelerated to 123 miles per hour, one of the men opened the Snapchat app on his phone where he used the app’s highly controversial “speed filter,” which displays the users’ current speed on-screen to document the drive.

The vehicle then ran off the road and crashed into a tree, killing all three young men immediately. Now, a federal appeals court has ordered that the parents of the young men should have the right to sue Snap Inc.

The ruling, from a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, has set off an intense debate about the future of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act (CDA), the decades-old law that has shielded tech firms from civil lawsuits.

The boys’ parents sued Snap Inc., the developer behind Snapchat, after the tragedy. The parents alleged that the company “knowingly created a dangerous game” through its filter and therefore bore some responsibility for the crash.

The district court responded by dismissing the case. The judge cited the immunity that social media companies enjoy under Section 230 of the CDA. The law provides legal immunity to tech firms from libel and other civil suits for what people post on their platforms.

But, the appeal court’s decision paves a way around this law, saying that it doesn’t apply because this case is not about what someone posted to Snapchat but rather the design of the app itself.

The parents are claiming that Snapchat’s speed filter entices young people to drive at reckless speeds and the federal appeals court said that Snap should be treated like any other company that makes a product that can lead to injury or harm to consumers.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
That last paragraph certainly could be used against car companies that make cars(or any vehicle really) that go beyond speed limits if it's upheld.
🤨

DB / HAV

Reaction score
What tennis shoes were pressing on the gas pedal?

attitude

Reaction score
It was probably in a Honda Civic or something. LOL. My niece got a ticket doing 96 in Ford Fusion. I said I’m not sure what I’m more impressed about, the ticket or the fact that a Ford Fusion can go 96. LOL
That’s what I was thinking, I’ve been faster than 123 in a lot of very unimpressive cars lol.

Singleton

Reaction score
This will get dismissed or bring into question 230. The first dismissal mentioned 230 and we all know that legislation needs to be modified and companies with 230 protection need to be exposed (they are acting as publishers not content sharing sites now).

Taboma

Reaction score
Where does this end ? Movies, video games, youtube dumb-asses ? Anything they can possibly associate with being a negative influence ?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
My car has this instrument that indicates the speed I’m going, and it’s fucking terrifying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That last paragraph certainly could be used against car companies that make cars(or any vehicle really) that go beyond speed limits if it's upheld.
🤨

Exactly what I was thinking as well.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
[emoji2955]
Likely what the 9th circus is trying to do.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
My car has this instrument that indicates the speed I’m going, and it’s fucking terrifying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, but on my vehicle(s), those numbers on the speedometer go well beyond any allowable speed limits. I believe they're telling me the only way I'll know if my vehicle is performing as intended, is to be able to attain that highest number. I mean I see those numbers as a goal, why else put them there ? 🤔 ;)