WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Got Me A Quote For A Duramax Part...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Have a neighbor with a really clean 08 CCSB. Stone stock, the bed has never had anything more than an ice chest in it...the truck is NICE!

Has a light "miss". Scan it, run the required tests, injector #4. Cool, did a few in the fall, were just shy of 400$ each from the dealer.

Make the call. The parts guy is clicking away on the other end of the phone. Then silence. I hear him say, "Oh shit..." Then there was some more "aggressive" clicking. Same injector has more than doubled! 820$

Customer offered to pay for diagnosis, but is parking the truck for now. I get it, that's a bunch of money. These increases may take a lot of cars off the road. Maybe I should learn how to shoe horses? I can fix bikes pretty good...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I know there are aftermarket options. The thing is, as a whole, I've never had a hiccup with a factory one. I told the guy about having them rebuilt, or going with aftermarket. I haven't had any D-max injectors rebuilt myself. I was a Powerstroke guy before the 6 leaker fiasco.

I think he's going to review his options. The truck isn't a primary vehicle for him. At least LMM's aren't a big pain if there's an issue...not like an LB7.

Ladsm

Reaction score
The bosch Remans have a great warranty and they replace every wearable part and electronics on the injector. I have about 100K on 6 of them in my Cummins and they are solid

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Have a neighbor with a really clean 08 CCSB. Stone stock, the bed has never had anything more than an ice chest in it...the truck is NICE!

Has a light "miss". Scan it, run the required tests, injector #4. Cool, did a few in the fall, were just shy of 400$ each from the dealer.

Make the call. The parts guy is clicking away on the other end of the phone. Then silence. I hear him say, "Oh shit..." Then there was some more "aggressive" clicking. Same injector has more than doubled! 820$

Customer offered to pay for diagnosis, but is parking the truck for now. I get it, that's a bunch of money. These increases may take a lot of cars off the road. Maybe I should learn how to shoe horses? I can fix bikes pretty good...
Rockauto?

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I know there are aftermarket options. The thing is, as a whole, I've never had a hiccup with a factory one. I told the guy about having them rebuilt, or going with aftermarket. I haven't had any D-max injectors rebuilt myself. I was a Powerstroke guy before the 6 leaker fiasco.

I think he's going to review his options. The truck isn't a primary vehicle for him. At least LMM's aren't a big pain if there's an issue...not like an LB7.
Aren't the ones you're having to replace factory? 🤔

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I used to have so much fun going to the wrecking yards and grabbing every Bosch injector I could find in 4.5 V8 Mercedes… I would bring them home …rig up a battery deal and clean them with acetone… The acetone would destroy the little plastic screen in the injector but it really got them clean and really made them fire right… The ones that didn’t make the grade went in the trash…
… I still have quite a few of those left… Even a handful from the European 3.5
V8…

3AF2FCD7-10BB-42F8-90BB-D2F10A82922A.jpeg

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Aren't the ones you're having to replace factory? 🤔
Very true, but at 150k+, that's a good run. It's the 5k replacement program I dislike.

As of about noon today, customer guy and wife were contemplating selling the truck. The logic is pretty sound, cost of diesel is going up, and the other 7 injectors may not be far behind. So, we'll see.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Very true, but at 150k+, that's a good run. It's the 5k replacement program I dislike.

As of about noon today, customer guy and wife were contemplating selling the truck. The logic is pretty sound, cost of diesel is going up, and the other 7 injectors may not be far behind. So, we'll see.

trade for prius?🤔

lbhsbz

Reaction score

What’s a new truck cost? A full set of injectors will set them back 8 months of payments on a new truck.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
What’s a new truck cost? A full set of injectors will set them back 8 months of payments on a new truck.
These people don't actually "need" a truck. I think they may have done what everyone does when they move here, by a truck and a pair of boots. I guess I went the other way, I had my boots on when I got out of my truck the first time here...now I drive a Prius. It's also hard to tell with these people in particular. They could be well off, or not. She drives some Lexus thing, but I don't know how old or such.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Call Kennedy Sales and Service in Wisconsin, they are the Duramax masters.

Put SAC style injectors in it and be done with the problems

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
These people don't actually "need" a truck. I think they may have done what everyone does when they move here, by a truck and a pair of boots. I guess I went the other way, I had my boots on when I got out of my truck the first time here...now I drive a Prius. It's also hard to tell with these people in particular. They could be well off, or not. She drives some Lexus thing, but I don't know how old or such.

No shit, I met a guy like that a couple weeks ago eating dinner on the lake. Guy is worth 10s of millions and he daily drives a 30year old Honda with stickers on the back window that say "700k miles, One Owner" and then he was telling me how the dealer wanted $1,400 to do CV axles on it and he said fuck that and did them himself.

he did have a very impressive car collection tho

wzuber

Reaction score
… I used to have so much fun going to the wrecking yards and grabbing every Bosch injector I could find in 4.5 V8 Mercedes… I would bring them home …rig up a battery deal and clean them with acetone… The acetone would destroy the little plastic screen in the injector but it really got them clean and really made them fire right… The ones that didn’t make the grade went in the trash…
… I still have quite a few of those left… Even a handful from the European 3.5
V8…

View attachment 1115259
Rigging up a battery deal and cleaning w/ acetone sounds like a wild, sad story just waiting to happen...lol
Glad it didn't for you...

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score

Turbo Auto Diesel down here in the Valley rebuilds injectors. He's a customer.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

Bought me a biden shitbox a few months ago also.. i havent had a "car" since high school. is it bad that I enjoy driving it? Hell it's already been from oregon to chico, long beach, and now I'm driving to Portland daily as of a couple weeks ago(new job). After the first day in Portland(I havent been there in years atleast not off the freeway) my shit box now has a permanent black friend between the driver seat and center console that goes by the name glock😜

20211001_124843.jpg
20220511_195105.jpg

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Bought me a biden shitbox a few months ago also.. i havent had a "car" since high school. is it bad that I enjoy driving it? Hell it's already been from oregon to chico, long beach, and now I'm driving to Portland daily as of a couple weeks ago(new job). After the first day in Portland(I havent been there in years atleast not off the freeway) my shit box now has a permanent black friend between the driver seat and center console that goes by the name glock😜

View attachment 1115387 View attachment 1115388

Those destinations, especially Chico, is where that car feels welcomed most 😂

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Rigging up a battery deal and cleaning w/ acetone sounds like a wild, sad story just waiting to happen...lol
Glad it didn't for you...
… it started out just as a test on cleaning a few junkyard Bosh injectors… with mineral spirits…laquer thinner…then acetone..: I made a loom …there was a toggle switch two feet away from the injectors and the acetone…no sparks flying…When I saw that the acetone ate the plastic screen in the injector,.. I went uhh ohh… But in truth… the plastic screen may have been there to help atomize the fuel… But without the plastic screen that car never ran so good…Dunno???…

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
No shit, I met a guy like that a couple weeks ago eating dinner on the lake. Guy is worth 10s of millions and he daily drives a 30year old Honda with stickers on the back window that say "700k miles, One Owner" and then he was telling me how the dealer wanted $1,400 to do CV axles on it and he said fuck that and did them himself.

he did have a very impressive car collection tho
....and that's why he's got money

lbhsbz

Reaction score
These aren't really "rebuildable"....as the bodies are the thing that erode away due to fuel bypassing. Bosch replaces the bodies on their remans....most other rebuilders don't, so they get the spray pattern and volume correct, but they still bypass too much and create a bunch of heat in the tank because of that.

Bosch reman or Bosch / OEM new is the only way I'd go on these.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've used "Turbo Electric" down there for injection pumps. Giant P-pump or a cute little 3cyl. Yanmar deal...about the same price🤨, but always ran good.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Been there done that. Good trucks, can’t say anything bad about them. 6.0 converted me to a cummins never looked back.

robby dmax

Reaction score

Look up Lincoln diesel I believe his name is Bret super helpful.

wzuber

Reaction score
Call Kennedy Sales and Service in Wisconsin, they are the Duramax masters.

Put SAC style injectors in it and be done with the problems
What's the difference on the sac style vs the oem? Is sac a brand or a configuration? How are they better? Who makes them? My lb7 needs injectors again. 230k miles, 4th set

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
What's the difference on the sac style vs the oem? Is sac a brand or a configuration? How are they better? Who makes them? My lb7 needs injectors again. 230k miles, 4th set

SAC is the pintle configuration, they are a superior design to prevent leaky injectors over time.

The standard injectors are a VCO where the pintle has to cover all of the spray ports to seal it off, the SAC injector is like a normal needle and seat that seals in a ring (very bullet proof sealing method) and then below that is a small cavity that feeds the spray ports.

sac-nozzle-vs-vco-2664579328.jpg

Honestly from everything i know about sealing high pressure systems (i have designed, tested, failed, and succeeded in building many of my own fittings for waterjet applications 50k+ PSI) i can't believe the VCO design would even be attempted... it seems ludicrous to me from a durability standpoint. Getting that pintle to seal a dozen orifices evenly and perfectly is a ridiculous task.

I have the S&S Diesel inejctors in my LB7 that were recommended by and sold to me by Kennedy, they have been awesome and the truck runs night and day better with them, and no more white smoke

Kennedy's "bulletproof" recommendation is Lift Pumps (he sells a mag drive pump that is small silent and reasonably priced), pre-filter for fuel, and an oil filter magnet on the main filter under the hood. I asked him about different main filter swaps to CAT style etc, he said that is all bullshit, the OEM filter is fine, he recommends all baldwin filters, and as far as the magnet on the filter i didn't get it until i pulled the old injectors and they only had about 60k on them and were completely full of rust on the inlets.

He said the main problem is all these old gas stations, oil pipelines, etc have deteriorating tanks etc that are full of iron particles. It makes sense.

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
Thank you I appreciate the intel...
I agree, the vco style make no sence. I bet it cost them dearly for trying to fix what was not broken. What was the potential benefit of the vco....atimization?