WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Got my son a dirt bike - - what else do I need?

oldschool

Reaction score
I know kids sometimes don’t want to wear the gear or say it’s uncomfortable, but it’s WAY more comfy than a cast or stitches.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Get a real camera and take pictures. Time goes by fast. Get him a nice tool set and have him start wrenching on the bike. By the time he is 10 he will not let anyone work on the bikes but him.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Get a nice shovel and start building him some jumps :cool:

This was on a KX60

384504_2718004595106_1603745746_n.jpg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I spent more on riding gear than I did for the bikes. It only took one time overshooting a razorback that ended up being a 40 foot cliff. Bike took most of the hit but I did jamb my thumb pretty good. I was so happy I spent the extra money for protection.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Welcome to the empty wallet club! ;)

He will have a blast and I couldn't stress the importance of all the gear, all the time. Helmet, gloves, boots, chest protector, goggles. They all prevent life altering/ending injuries the best they can.

BingerFang

Reaction score
I grew up racing dirtbikes, all my children are playing golf. Lol

j21black

Reaction score
Bright, early, and cold.

Fixing to head out shortly. 2 1/2 hour drive to dirtbike track.

Wife has a 45 minute run to horse Race for Sissy. I should probably trade. She will leave around 10 and be home before dark. I’ll leave by 7 and make it home by midnight with anything luck.

IMG_8549.jpg

She bought a junk horse trailer last year out of Louisiana last year when I was out of town. She FaceTimed me and walked me around it and I told her to leave. Instead she lowballed it and bought it. Took right at a year to completely redo. Last night I noticed the safety chains were shit so I cut them off and went and bought new ones. Have to find a way to make them work for today until I can weld some proper bracket in place so it’s right going forward. Trailer turned out pretty good so far. Had to cut most of the sheet out and redo it. Have a few small things to add to the exterior, Diamond plate, etc and we can call it done.

IMG_8079.jpg
IMG_8078.jpg
IMG_8020.jpg
IMG_7571.jpg
IMG_7570.jpg
IMG_6824.jpg
IMG_8021.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Play it again sports, you can pick like new kids gear as they grow out of it so fast. Name brands for half price. Boots, chest, gloves, pants,jerseys, ect. When they grow out of it in 6 months trade it in on bigger sizes.
We buy new helmets and neck donut tho.

Huge +1 on this. I buy almost all of my daughters' sports gear there.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

GETBOATS

Reaction score
It was always my policy for my two boys be responsible for their own gear. stating around age 8, I had them empty the gear bags on the drive way and repack as if they were getting dressed at the track. It worked most of the time. We track rode 99% on the time, but once out for a weekend in Ocotillo, my youngest, then 9, forgot his jersey. He knew the rules, it was harder on me agreeing with him he'd have to wait till his grandparents to bring it to him that evening. It would have been easy to say, he put on this sweat shirt and ride, but where do you draw the line and allow riding without something else? NOPE He, form then on recognized the importance checking gear before every trip.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I have a lot of used kids riding gear in Fontana if anyone is interested. It's in really good shape. I taught both my kids from a young age and never skimp on safety for me or them. Track riders usually roll all the safety gear, "seasonal"desert riders not so much.
DSC09712 - Copy.JPG

merc_400r

Reaction score
don't skimp on the safety stuff. Been to the hospital many times and it would have been a lot worse if I wasn't wearing all my gear.

j21black

Reaction score
So we got invited to the track to shoot what we were told was a Commerical for Toyota back in November.

Looks like it was a full segment. Airs during tomorrow’s Supercross race. We will be at the track but it’s supposed to be shown there as well.

My little guy is behind her to the left in the photo.

Wife said after I left (to catch a plane) they got all the families together and did a group drone shot. Not sure if I’ll be seen our not as I tried to stay out of their way but my wife and kids should be on there.

Also Bails I think your package should arrive any day now.

IMG_8696.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
If you are near Rialto/Colton check Neanderthal Cycle Salvage, they always have a ton of used gear for cheap. The smalller kids' stuff never get used much and so used is usually still clean and nice. Also when the District 37 races come to town some of the nice ladies from the Kurt Caselli foundation always have a lot of donated gear available. They are at Glen Helen next weekend, then 29 Palms in April.
Personally I wouldn't spend money on actual motorcycle boots for a kid this age. It definately makes learning to operate the bike harder.
I believe that's actually the SK3 (Steve Kirk III) foundation- or does the Caselli do it too? A lot of D37 riders donate their used gear to it and some of it is actually brand new !

Last edited: