WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Got the motor in today

westair

Reaction score
Bought this Hondo about a year ago without a motor, just adding a little hardware, polish and clean up .... not sure if its a boat I want to sink alot of money into yet. Barry (Obnoxious001) built this 454 for me. I've never really done much in the way of working on a vdrive boat before other than driving them quite a few years ago, its been fun but even a low budget deal is expensive! So I got the motor in today with the help of my kids, which was kind of comical in a way because they're pretty much everyday surfers and have no interest in HP and fast boats .... and don't see the point.. they think I should be out golfing with all the other old fockers my age, not gonna happen!

Attachments

• IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

poncho

Reaction score
You're post is almost apologetic, no need that is a hell of a nice flat you have:thumbup:

As far as the kid's having no interest that usually changes with the first ride, their friends will think coolest Dad ever.

Look forward to the first ride post.

westair

Reaction score
You're post is almost apologetic, no need that is a hell of a nice flat you have:thumbup:

As far as the kid's having no interest that usually changes with the first ride, their friends will think coolest Dad ever.

Look forward to the first ride post.

Thanks all! .... kinda half joking about my kids but they've never been around the small flats, we stopped going to the river when they were born and pretty much did the beach stuff with em. We do have a place in Havasu now with a 24 ft open bow cruiser, which is considered small there. I bought this Hondo really just for nostalgic reasons but I'm really into it now, the vdrive crowd is great .... met some cool people!
I think your right, it will all change with them after the first ride:thumbup:

poncho

Reaction score
Thanks all! .... kinda half joking about my kids but they've never been around the small flats, we stopped going to the river when they were born and pretty much did the beach stuff with em. We do have a place in Havasu now with a 24 ft open bow cruiser, which is considered small there. I bought this Hondo really just for nostalgic reasons but I'm really into it now, the vdrive crowd is great .... met some cool people!

You have a very nice flat, seriously. You're right about the v-drive crowd, I (bought,traded,bartered) my first when I was 19 and I will be TBI's age this summer. Never tried to be the fastest, some one will always outspend you. Some of my best friends to this day I met on a sandbar talking boats.
It just works....enjoy you're ride.:thumbup:

sangermike

Reaction score
why are driving it off the balancer is that a circle boat. not trying to be a smart ass just haven't seen that if its a flat straight line deal.

westair

Reaction score
why are driving it off the balancer is that a circle boat. not trying to be a smart ass just haven't seen that if its a flat straight line deal.

Yes it was originally built and raced as a circle boat .... the vdrive, prop, whirlaway was already set up that way so I didn't change anything. The hull is a Hondo Sprint which is a true flat.

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Very nice boat. I can't believe that those kids would rather surf in that ice cold water instead of running around in a nice v drive like you have...:thumbup::thumbup:

Steve

Rickybobby

Reaction score
x2 what poncho said.... wont take long for the short boards to become wall hangers and them jammin you to make a run to river ??? Took mine all of one ride in a blown jet to park his quiver for awhile.

Your project is sweet and I completely dig the home brew flavor, thanks for putting up the pics.....

westair

Reaction score
Very nice boat. I can't believe that those kids would rather surf in that ice cold water instead of running around in a nice v drive like you have...:thumbup::thumbup:

Steve

I figure first time out I'll set the hook in those kids:D .... just to make sure its a memorable one in a good way, Dave Sammons said he would look it over for me when I'm ready .... it is a pretty old boat, 1975.

x2 what poncho said.... wont take long for the short boards to become wall hangers and them jammin you to make a run to river ??? Took mine all of one ride in a blown jet to park his quiver for awhile.

Your project is sweet and I completely dig the home brew flavor, thanks for putting up the pics.....

Thanks! .... I hope your right, its cool hanging out with my kids ..... and if nothing else they've learned how to turn a wench:thumbup:

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
My only suggestion is to not scare them by driving crazy. I have seen lots of people soured on motorcycles from someone giving them a scary ride. It only takes one deal like that to ruin someone forever. Good luck and hope you are successful with the kids:thumbup

Steve

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Looks like you scored a pretty nice boat!! Floors look good from here. :thumbup:

jockorace

Reaction score
I came very, very close to buying that boat a year or so ago. Gotta say, it looks even nicer than the for sale pics I saw. Good luck with the build and your first ride with the kids! :thumbsup Jocko

westair

Reaction score
I came very, very close to buying that boat a year or so ago. Gotta say, it looks even nicer than the for sale pics I saw. Good luck with the build and your first ride with the kids! :thumbsup Jocko

Thanks! ... when I went to pick it up I was pretty happy when I saw the condition of it, Jeff (the previous owner) was very upfront about everything ... cool guy. Hope to have it in the water soon!

Dave Sammons

Reaction score
Looking Good:thumbup::thumbup:
Let me know if you need anything!
Dave

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
My only suggestion is to not scare them by driving crazy. I have seen lots of people soured on motorcycles from someone giving them a scary ride. It only takes one deal like that to ruin someone forever. Good luck and hope you are successful with the kids:thumbup

Steve

Usually you don't have to drive a flat "crazy" to scare people!

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
You are right there... I have seen lots of people that get scared as soon as the engines get fired up...:eek:rolleyes

Steve

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Great shot Jerry. That hits the nail right on the head...

Steve

westair

Reaction score
Looking Good:thumbup::thumbup:
Let me know if you need anything!
Dave

Thanks Dave! ...... and thanks for the offer to look it over for me, ya know after I had you cornered in Needles:D:D .... there's a few things i'm unsure of still with it.

Looks good! Sprints are good boats you'll love it!

Thanks SS, your input was helpful with these Sprints when I bought it .... I'm really liking the fact now that its a true flat.

Last edited:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Looks good and really coming along nice. Wish I was moving as fast on my jet project...