WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Got this coming home from RDP regatta

sirbob

Reaction score
it’s been sitting in the driveway since...

None of the legit tire stores will touch it (because it’s a sidewall) and I don’t want to buy 1 new tire - it would have to be 4

So...

9E147577-DBF4-4AB8-B6AC-75D23DD5E91F.jpeg
F70B72DA-D445-4EAC-BF47-4D49F5A36297.jpeg
1C3270C6-A9CD-4B94-A4D8-81DDD82E8FD7.jpeg
0ACC5E59-67FE-4251-B876-8F4CC90EF9EF.jpeg
0A30BC0F-ABA4-401E-9632-71DE6800C7A2.jpeg

37E51270-361D-4EC7-B7E2-966BBE3E56BF.jpeg
020303B5-0AAE-4275-9063-F2186BCEED1F.jpeg
9FB6DD27-A371-4C56-8051-586561702D0C.jpeg

Now I need to go pray.

Attachments

• 3B8E2E1E-33A1-4318-B7E0-307B08944681.jpeg
    3B8E2E1E-33A1-4318-B7E0-307B08944681.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 57F982A2-BAFC-431F-9C32-586787F4F8DC.jpeg
    57F982A2-BAFC-431F-9C32-586787F4F8DC.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 100

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Bummer, just submit a request to RDP to pay for a replacement. It is only fair since you wouldn’t have picked it up if you were not going to the RDP event. :LOL:

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
First thing I do with a new car is drive to Discount/American tire and get warranty cents on all tires.
Costa a few bucks, but avoids issues like this.

ToyHauler I purchased had some no name tires. Purchased Goodyear Endurance certs and have had to replace 2. Cost me $30 for a new cert each time. The no names will be replaced with Goodyear’s over the next 3 months for less then 1 new Goodyear tire.

sirbob

Reaction score
First thing I do with a new car is drive to Discount/American tire and get warranty cents on all tires.
Costa a few bucks, but avoids issues like this.

ToyHauler I purchased had some no name tires. Purchased Goodyear Endurance certs and have had to replace 2. Cost me $30 for a new cert each time. The no names will be replaced with Goodyear’s over the next 3 months for less then 1 new Goodyear tire.

I need to check it out - I use discount for all my tire stuff but didn’t think nail in the area I got it was covered?

spectras only

Reaction score
Sirbob, I'd get the spare out to replace it with and keep your shade tree mechanic fixed tire as a spare.;) Of all the time I had my Navigator, never had the spare tire removed from underneath. A practically brand new tire was a waste to have there. Wife's 2010 Cherokee still has the full size OEM spare and we just got a new set of four replacement for her.

Ps; that is one big azz nail in there. Almost impossible to pick one off the road, going straight in. Almost looks like a carpenter hammered it in for you:eek::confused::(

Last edited:

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Sirbob, I'd get the spare out to replace it with and keep your shade tree mechanic fixed tire as a spare.;) Of all the time I had my Navigator, never had the spare tire removed from underneath. A practically brand new tire was a waste to have there. Wife's 2010 Cherokee still has the full size OEM spare and we just got a new set of four replacement for her.

Ps; that is one big azz nail in there. Almost impossible to pick one off the road, going straight in. Almost looks like a carpenter hammered it in for you:eek::confused::(
Guaranteed that Navi doesn’t have a matching spare. Steel wheel. Prob a 17”. Not a 20” or 22” whatever he has on the ground now

Universal Elements

Reaction score
it’s been sitting in the driveway since...

None of the legit tire stores will touch it (because it’s a sidewall) and I don’t want to buy 1 new tire - it would have to be 4

So...

View attachment 817279 View attachment 817280 View attachment 817281 View attachment 817282 View attachment 817283
View attachment 817284 View attachment 817287 View attachment 817288

Now I need to go pray.

no bueno, lot of flex in that area.

At least put that tire in the rear so if you have a blow out you won’t have a violent occurrence with the steering. Find a Mexican tire shop and have them put a patch with adhesive from the inside and a bigger hot patch over it. Tell them not to remove your plug and mark the tire & valve for balancing purposes. They won’t have to charge you for rebalancing.

spectras only

Reaction score
Guaranteed that Navi doesn’t have a matching spare. Steel wheel. Prob a 17”. Not a 20” or 22” whatever he has on the ground now
My 2003 Navi came with full size spare. I think large SUV's required to have full size spare, hence their GVWR. If those are aftermarket on sirbob's SUV, he needs to get a new tire. A tire should be patched from the inside anyway, and only if the puncture is on the running surface, not sidewall or near.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
That's not safe , replace it .
X2. That shoulder area (specially right where that nail is) is the most vulnerable area on any tire. It's both the part that flexes the most as well as the point where the thread construction and sidewall come together. Plugging it like that is asking for a blowout. And I mean blowout with full tread separation and all.

Go buy 2 new tires. It'll be cheaper than dealing with the damage that the blowout would cause.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
you know, big business has their attorneys (RDP), that’s why you need the peoples attorney!

bagged97taco

Reaction score
My 2003 Navi came with full size spare. I think large SUV's required to have full size spare, hence their GVWR. If those are aftermarket on sirbob's SUV, he needs to get a new tire. A tire should be patched from the inside anyway, and only if the puncture is on the running surface, not sidewall or near.
Yes full size. But not matching size. @sirbob what size is the spare

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I would not run that on the highway, No-way, no-how.
Sucks but yes get a new one.

I thought bad tires should go on the front as the front has steering? Has this opinion changed in the last 10 years?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Should be covered. A road hazard is a road hazard.
However, they are only going to resolve that 1 tire.

Yea, and they still make you pay for the certificate on the replacement tire.

If you are the type that will replace all 4 tires in a situation like this, it is a waste to buy the certificates.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
I would not run that on the highway, No-way, no-how.
Sucks but yes get a new one.

I thought bad tires should go on the front as the front has steering? Has this opinion changed in the last 10 years?
Nope. Steer out of a bad situation. Only problem is most drivers don’t know what to do in a blow out situation. Over steer and brake hard.

Singleton

Reaction score
Yea, and they still make you pay for the certificate on the replacement tire.

If you are the type that will replace all 4 tires in a situation like this, it is a waste to buy the certificates.

I don’t have an issue paying apx $30 for a new cert, when I get a new tire.
All my ToyHauler tires are starting to have issues (bubbles, tread separation) after 5 years based on date code. I take 1 every couple weeks and leverage the cert to get new tires. Zero questions to date and I have replaced 2 already. 5 more to go.
It’s when they don’t do a full replacement and I have to get prorated I get pissed.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
Nope. Steer out of a bad situation. Only problem is most drivers don’t know what to do in a blow out situation. Over steer and brake hard.
So good tires on front or back? With modern electronic controls I could see a reversal.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I don’t have an issue paying apx $30 for a new cert, when I get a new tire.
All my ToyHauler tires are starting to have issues (bubbles, tread separation) after 5 years based on date code. I take 1 every couple weeks and leverage the cert to get new tires. Zero questions to date and I have replaced 2 already. 5 more to go.
It’s when they don’t do a full replacement and I have to get prorated I get pissed.

That is the other way they get you with the damn pro rating BS :)

Not saying that it’s a bad system, but again if you get a replacement at 12k miles and would rather buy 4 tires, it does not help much, except getting a bit of a discount on one of the tires.

I may be biased as I never get their certs and have only had to buy 2 replacement tires in like 20 years... so I’m ahead at the moment.

When I bought one of my CTS-Vs the previous owner put new tires on it and got the certificates.. I got a flat at state line driving to Vegas.. luckily they were run flats. So I did get a freebie there but they charged be some BS fee because I didn’t buy the tires. I’m just glad I left the receipt for the tires in the glovebox!

Trailer tires are a good use case for the tire certs.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

No. No. No.

Tire Blowout
If your tires suddenly blow out, do the following:

• Do not slam on the brakes.
  • Take your foot off the accelerator and gently apply the brakes.
  • Steer straight ahead to a stop.
  • When you are able to do so safely, pull the vehicle off the road

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
You should be happy that's all you caught...errr...got from the RDP Regatta.;):D

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Tire Rack can shave down a new tire to the tread depth of the other 3 tires. With 12k on your tires, there probably isn’t that much tread worn off.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
FYI... I have run tires with plugs for years and have never had an issue. I also don’t drive like Robby Gordon on asphalt so I have never had blow out at speed. Everyone just calm your tits already!!! :cool:

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I’ve also replaced one tire when the other 3 had 11k miles. No ill effects that I’ve noticed. I have run tire plugs no problem in past. But I wouldn’t run with a sidewall plug myself.

Riverryder

Reaction score
You should be happy that's all you caught...errr...got from the RDP Regatta.;):D

But did you boat the other day or just run your dirty mouth?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
FYI... I have run tires with plugs for years and have never had an issue. I also don’t drive like Robby Gordon on asphalt so I have never had blow out at speed. Everyone just calm your tits already!!! :cool:
We've all run a fixed tire. It's "That particular spot" Which is very vulnerable. With all the flexing it's easy for the air to work it's way past the plug and between the plies and cause separation.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Typically, better tires up front, BUT... when talking a sidewall patch with the opportunity for a blowout, would you rather have it on the front or rear? On a new vehicle worth a lot of money, especially if my old lady is driving, I’m not taking the risk. I’d replace it...

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Looks like a family wagon! If you’re not ready to buy four go do yourself a favor for your family and buy one for now, or at absolute minimum get it on the rear, lot less chance of losing control that way.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Jose tire shop will fix that up with no problemo ,

Most tire shops would tell you no way.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We've all run a fixed tire. It's "That particular spot" Which is very vulnerable. With all the flexing it's easy for the air to work it's way past the plug and between the plies and cause separation.
Carlson-jet beat me to it. The plug isbt really the issue, it's the location.... The outside shoulder

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The problem is when you plug a tire like that, you destroy/rip open all the steel belts where they matter the most.

Drive that thing straight to the tire store and get it (or all four, if that's your preference) replaced.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
@sirbob are those the tires that came on your Navi from the dealership? And I'm assuming OEM wheels?

To echo what @lbhsbz said about Ironman, I am really surprised that came from the factory that way. I read that the OE tire for the Navigator was supposed to be the Hankook in a 285/45r22. If it came from the dealer with Ironman tires, I'd suspect something funky went on in the background...

River Runnin

Reaction score
clean it up! go get certs from Big O, then get it replaced!

sirbob

Reaction score
@sirbob are those the tires that came on your Navi from the dealership? And I'm assuming OEM wheels?

To echo what @lbhsbz said about Ironman, I am really surprised that came from the factory that way. I read that the OE tire for the Navigator was supposed to be the Hankook in a 285/45r22. If it came from the dealer with Ironman tires, I'd suspect something funky went on in the background...

Ive never heard of Ironman before this truck but that’s what came on the stock rims from the dealer.

I bought it as a CPO so I’m guessing the dealer put these on the meet the CPO guideline of new tires ?????

Anyway - I’ll see if I can get 1 tire shaved down to match or just do the whole set.

I priced the Pirelli and the Michelin’s and they are 900-1000 all in for 4 .

It’s much less than I thought it would be.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Ironman is the cheapest POS tire out there, replace that asap Sirbob!

That is a get your ass to the closest tire store repair!!! NOT EVEN CLOSE TO SAFE TO DRIVE ON.

Positive that Ironman's are not stock OEM Navi tires....ahhaahhahah!

Probably cost you less than 300 to replace both on that axle, then forget about it.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Ive never heard of Ironman before this truck but that’s what came on the stock rims from the dealer.

I bought it as a CPO so I’m guessing the dealer put these on the meet the CPO guideline of new tires ?????

Anyway - I’ll see if I can get 1 tire shaved down to match or just do the whole set.

I priced the Pirelli and the Michelin’s and they are 900-1000 all in for 4 .

It’s much less than I thought it would be.

I'd go back to the dealer and tell them to put white people tires on the fucking thing

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
According to the biggest tire manufacturers, better tires in rear.

That refers to tread depth, not shoddy tire repairs.

When rear tires lose grip, the car oversteers/rotates. 99% of people don’t know how to deal with this.

Heck, even F1 cars understeer at the absolute limit by design.

Better to have the fronts lose grip, causing understeer/scrub which also slows the car down in a straight line.

But yeah, that’s what all tire MFR’s recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro