WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

GPS SET UPS

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
What are you guys using in your offroad rides for GPS? Lowrance, 5", 7" or the IPAD set up. I have a few IPADS laying around, was wondering if that might be an affordable solution since I already have the IPAD. The IPAD I have dont have the cellular service turned not sure if that is needed or not.

This would be for Glamis mainly, possibly some Havasu rides as well.

Thx, Walt

WildWilly

Reaction score
I just got with a guy and did a samsung 7 tablet with the mounts and loaded with Ride Command and Avenza and a few thousand miles of trails and waypoints. I'm waiting for it now but talking to a few people they say this is the way to go. we shall see.

I also have a trail tech voyager that is cool for the buddy location. but teh screeen is way too small to be useful for nav.

Reactions: TPC

Dana757

Reaction score
As long as the I Pad is cellular ready it should work. The wifi only I pads do not have a GPS receiver and require an external one. Learned that the hard way. I use one in my Jeep with Gaia GPS app. Love the app! Works good on my iPad and phone. Try to place it out of direct sunlight so it doesn't over heat. I mounted mine right in front of the AC vents.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If you have the IPad with GPS/cellular try it and see if you like it. If you like it, invest in an external antenna for it and it will perform better.

Personally, I like the new Lowrance 7” GPS.

DLC

Reaction score
I use an Elite TI 2 with - 7 inch screen Lowarance, it works great! Easy to read and use. It works great to follow a trail or a route, basically you have a highlight trail ( line on the screen ) and you keep the (chevron your car ) on the highlighted line following the route.

you need to have a Topo map so you can see existing trails washes and ridges (actual terrain your traveling thru)

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I use an Elite TI 2 with - 7 inch screen Lowarance, it works great! Easy to read and use. It works great to follow a trail or a route, basically you have a highlight trail ( line on the screen ) and you keep the (chevron your car ) on the highlighted line following the route.

you need to have a Topo map so you can see existing trails washes and ridges (actual terrain your traveling thru)
Thx, thats the one I am leaning towards, built in antenna, touch screen etc

Reactions: DLC

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Looking for them on line, is it one in the same with the fishfinder version you just dont use the fish features or is there a separate
off road only version?

DLC

Reaction score
check with PCI radio they have maps and mounts and are very knowledgeable about the GPS’s, I have the same setup on my boat as the can am

QUOTE="ONE-A-DAY, post: 4054562, member: 4305"]
Thx, thats the one I am leaning towards, built in antenna, touch screen etc
[/QUOTE]

Singleton

Reaction score
I use my IPad with LeadNav and a Dual GPS puck.
Running the AZ Peace Trail starting Saturday, routes are all loaded and ready
I also have all my Havasu and Superstition routes saved

Attachments

• BB8B0F0F-46B4-472C-A975-85A2C5C56FBD.png
    BB8B0F0F-46B4-472C-A975-85A2C5C56FBD.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 113

DLC

Reaction score
yes you can shut off the Fish finder functions, I got mine at west marine Point Loma ca. they had a sale and I had discount points....

QUOTE="ONE-A-DAY, post: 4054569, member: 4305"]
Looking for them on line, is it one in the same with the fishfinder version you just dont use the fish features or is there a separate
off road only version?
[/QUOTE]

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
off road only version?

Correct. You want the cheapest model of the Lowrance Elite 7Ti 2. It is $450. When you get it, you can go into the setup and turn all the boat and fish stuff off and it is much easier to use.

PCI and others sell it with the Baja antenna, that is another $250. The Baja antenna improves performance, but it will work on the internal antenna as well.

Here is mine.. just waiting for the new SXS.
I put the GPS maps in it, works bad ass, makes all the difference.

97231F07-6BEE-4025-9DCC-B05DD19B8D2C.jpeg

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Correct. You want the cheapest one Elite 7Ti 2, $450. When you get it go into the setup and turn all the boat and fish stuff off.

PCI and others sell it with the Baja antenna, that is another $250. The Baja antenna improves performance, but it will work on the internal antenna as well.
So technically it would find fish in a boat if I added the transducer? I just want to list all the popular spots at glamis as waypoints, it will work for that?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So technically it would find fish in a boat if I added the transducer? I just want to list all the popular spots at glamis as waypoints, it will work for that?
Yes. And yes. It does not have the satellite images from the factory, you can buy a card with the sat images you want, or make a sat map yourself. I made the sat image files for Havasu on mine. With those, I like it better than the ipad solution personally.

In Glamis the sat images are not a big deal though, I wouldn't think. You can just mark or upload your Glamis waypoints. You can see a couple waypoints in the picture, the blue star and the blue dot.

DLC

Reaction score
There are u tube vids that show you how to shut down the FF function, the Baja antenna refreshes your exact location faster, this helps with turns and Y intersections.

I get a little glare on my screen and have to take off my sunglasses to see the screen at times, mine is mounted on top of my dash.

a lot of people prefer the tablet, you can also use your phone, I pad mini

Gaia is a good app as well as others people have mentioned above

to make a map or a trail, you do that on you computer and then download onto a mini usb card the insert card into the Lowrance, you can e mail it to a tablet and then open the map using your map app.... so it’s a little different I usually have my mini sd cards with me in case I have an issue I can reload

Reactions: DWC

DLC

Reaction score

yes and you can save routes to your locations although the dunes change with the winds

its a huge help in havasu to get familiar with the area and it’s major routes

with the gps you don’t need to follow the guy in Frt of you ( ride in his dust ) you can set back and enjoy the ride and the clean air.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I have ipad with external blutooth gps module. Works good but the ipad is hard to work while moving. So I setup while we are stopped and just look at it while driving.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
  1. What are you guys using in your offroad rides for GPS? Lowrance, 5", 7" or the IPAD set up. I have a few IPADS laying around, was wondering if that might be an affordable solution since I already have the IPAD. The IPAD I have dont have the cellular service turned not sure if that is needed or not.

This would be for Glamis mainly, possibly some Havasu rides as well.

Thx, Walt

Go visit the PCI shop Walt, the 7” TI 2 and the rugged routes memory sticks are as easy and good as it gets.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have the HDS 5” non touch in my ride mounted on the roof vs dash
A887F564-E0D9-4F75-ACDC-ABC7C016D5B7.jpeg

renodaytona

Reaction score
I have an older Lowrance in the Tatum it works but hardly use it up here. Once we venture to Glamis (hopefully fall this year) that's when it will definitely be used but I might be upgrading it to that newer Elite version when I do the teardown this summer.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Download LeanNav on your phone for $20. You can put it on 3 devices for that price. I have it on my phone and an IPad that I have mounted in my CanAm. It’s nice to have LeadNav on your phone when you are hiking or in your regular car too. Or in your boat.

Patyacht

Reaction score
I used to use an iPad but found it over-heated way to often and the sun glad made it difficult to read. So now I use a Lowrance HDS9 and Ride Command. Since I lead quite a bit I set the RC on the big picture and use the HDS9 for close in viewing.