WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Graduation Gift Ideas???

JD D05

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas from RDP for a Graduation gift for my daughter. Already has a nice car and has been traveling a lot this past year. Also won't be going to College at this time...

Please post up any ideas etc.

racektm

Reaction score
A nice watch is a timeless gift.
My thought exactly!

1621357400346.jpeg

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Daughter graduated a year ago and we had same problem.
She does not want for anything so gifts are difficult. She has nice car (Audi.A4). She would find no value in nice watch as it would not be worn—has newest Apple Watch.
I ended up buying her a new gun (Sig P365XL) and put money in her investment/retirement accounts. She goes to Univ of Oregon and drives 2 hours south to Medford to see Grandparents or two hours north to Portland to fly home. So having something on standby if she has a mechanical problem is important.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
As I am shopping for my first luxury watch as a treat to myself for my 40th last year, to get before my 41st in a couple :), I think its a great idea for college graduation. I would have loved to have one, but I definitely value material possessions, some friends of mine would give a rat's ass. I just think watches are beyond cool for the level of engineering, craftsmanship, machining, as well as the benefits of style, and way cooler than a purse or shoes, and should last a lifetime. 👍

white tortilla

Reaction score
Sounds like we are talking about high school. If so I would think $500 cash or something simple would be appropriate. It’s high school, pretty much everyone now days graduates even if they never picked up algebra or how to read effeciently. I would assume she is a great kid but it’s just another step towards growing up. When I graduated in 2007 I got a bunch of graduation cards from family saying good job and good luck on whatever was next with some small bills in them. I wouldn’t have expected a car or a Rolex as it wasn’t that much of an achievement in my eyes. Show up and do homework and try to prepare for real life. Didnt seem like I did anything to deserve a 10k gift.

JD D05

Reaction score
As I am shopping for my first luxury watch as a treat to myself for my 40th last year, to get before my 41st in a couple :), I think its a great idea for college graduation. I would have loved to have one, but I definitely value material possessions, some friends of mine would give a rat's ass. I just think watches are beyond cool for the level of engineering, craftsmanship, machining, as well as the benefits of style, and way cooler than a purse or shoes, and should last a lifetime. 👍

I purchased my first good watch last year and absolutely love it. What are you looking at?

JD D05

Reaction score
Sounds like we are talking about high school. If so I would think $500 cash or something simple would be appropriate. It’s high school, pretty much everyone now days graduates even if they never picked up algebra or how to read effeciently. I would assume she is a great kid but it’s just another step towards growing up. When I graduated in 2007 I got a bunch of graduation cards from family saying good job and good luck on whatever was next with some small bills in them. I wouldn’t have expected a car or a Rolex as it wasn’t that much of an achievement in my eyes. Show up and do homework and try to prepare for real life. Didnt seem like I did anything to deserve a 10k gift.

Yes high school. Honor roll etc and very very solid kid.

Singleton

Reaction score
HS Graduation is difficult IMO. Both my step-sons wanted to attend college, so they got a card with a promissory note on what we will support and what was required of them.

Then they got a weeks vacation to a destination they Picked (Oldest picked scuba diving in Aruba for a week, youngest pIckes Costa Rica). We are a big experience based gifts, not physical gifts.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas from RDP for a Graduation gift for my daughter. Already has a nice car and has been traveling a lot this past year. Also won't be going to College at this time...

Please post up any ideas etc.
My daughter wants an apple watch

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I purchased my first good watch last year and absolutely love it. What are you looking at?

Due to my life long obsession with James Bond, I was predestined for Omega. In particular, I am looking at the latest Omega Seamaster Diver 300m. I am pretty set on the model, I just can't make up my mind on dial color as I want to wear it on bracelet as well as band/nato. The white looks amazing on black band, but black dial looks better on bracelet and NATO I think. Damn, this is how addiction starts and you end up buying both eventually :).

omega3.JPG

omega1.JPG

omega2.JPG

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
my son will graduate in June, UCSD. He has watches, and works in high end retail. He also has a car, has a nice career, and is pretty independent. I was going to give him some stocks, however he didn't want any, he already has $ in the ones he's interested in. He asked for a nice pair of cufflinks, homemade pizza and old fashions. :) I love this kid. I did get him a set of Cartier cufflinks, hopefully he will have them for a long time.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Money into brokerage account, Watch ( I wear my Rolex almost everyday...), trip with the mom?

Oh and a Job application and rental agreement if she is staying at home for a bit 🤣 J/K

JD D05

Reaction score
Money into brokerage account, Watch ( I wear my Rolex almost everyday...), trip with the mom?

Oh and a Job application and rental agreement if she is staying at home for a bit 🤣 J/K

She would rather go on a trip with me. This actually came up one night with the 3 of us standing around. It was not discussed or anything but I knew what was coming, I just kept my mouth shut and my daughter told mom she would rather go with me. Wife looked like she got slapped lol.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
My uncles helped fund my spot on a trip to Cabo with my boys after HS graduation. I think they paid a few hundred and I picked up the rest. I’ll never forget it as one of my favorite trips of all time. First time in a nice hotel and a trip away from my parents.

For a baller like you, maybe a trip to Italy or Greece. I vote for an experience.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
She would rather go on a trip with me. This actually came up one night with the 3 of us standing around. It was not discussed or anything but I knew what was coming, I just kept my mouth shut and my daughter told mom she would rather go with me. Wife looked like she got slapped lol.

Take her on some adventure trip..she will remember it. Not someplace that most people would think of if that makes sense

JD D05

Reaction score
My uncles helped fund my spot on a trip to Cabo with my boys after HS graduation. I think they paid a few hundred and I picked up the rest. I’ll never forget it as one of my favorite trips of all time. First time in a nice hotel and a trip away from my parents.

For a baller like you, maybe a trip to Italy or Greece. I vote for an experience.

LOL

JD D05

Reaction score
Take her on some adventure trip..she will remember it. Not someplace that most people would think of if that makes sense

This is on the short list. I just paid for a 2 week trip to Florida and a trip to that island in Texas for her...

JD D05

Reaction score
I got eviction papers. "GTFO"
I tortured my poor parents..
No help here.lol.

I don't mind if she sticks around for awhile especially with the cost of rent etc now.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Damn, you guys are some ballers. I better step up the game when my kids graduate in 9yrs.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
20k a year for the past 10 years for cheer....that's 2 daughters

Wow. I would be 20k a year in POT having to deal with girls in cheer..... I have twin daughters.

Cheer seems to be pretty popular lately as I hear about it consistently from other family and neighbors, never knew the cost. Most of them just came back from Florida.

I took my kids to Las Vegas and showed them what happens when you don't stay in school. And schools is your job at this time.

JD D05

Reaction score
Wow. I would be 20k a year in POT having to deal with girls in cheer..... I have twin daughters.

Cheer seems to be pretty popular lately as I hear about it consistently from other family and neighbors, never knew the cost. Most of them just came back from Florida.

I took my kids to Las Vegas and showed them what happens when you don't stay in school. And schools is your job at this time.

It is a bit of a gagger but the upside has been worth it. What always upset me besides the money was the time, no off season at all. That meant less time boating and other traveling etc. My daughters also just got back from Florida. My oldest the one graduating was on 2 comp teams, high school varsity and coaches a comp team.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
my son will graduate in June, UCSD. He has watches, and works in high end retail. He also has a car, has a nice career, and is pretty independent. I was going to give him some stocks, however he didn't want any, he already has $ in the ones he's interested in. He asked for a nice pair of cufflinks, homemade pizza and old fashions. :) I love this kid. I did get him a set of Cartier cufflinks, hopefully he will have them for a long time.
Lol, now that kid has some swagger!!!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Due to my life long obsession with James Bond, I was predestined for Omega. In particular, I am looking at the latest Omega Seamaster Diver 300m. I am pretty set on the model, I just can't make up my mind on dial color as I want to wear it on bracelet as well as band/nato. The white looks amazing on black band, but black dial looks better on bracelet and NATO I think. Damn, this is how addiction starts and you end up buying both eventually :).

Although I’m not a big dollar watch guy, I have owned an Omega Seamaster for some time. It’s an awesome watch. Something to be said about the mechanical self winding (while on your wrist) mechanism. It’s like a finely tuned miniature machine. Keeps killer time as well.

B34F8F5A-ABF2-47BB-A968-F3F088A2D35F.jpeg

Last edited:

badgas

Reaction score
Roth IRA contribution. They will thank you later.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
A Rolex watch to graduate from High School??? A new car??? Seriously?

When I graduated from High School my Dad said “You are SUPPOSED to graduate from High School like everybody else! Now what are you going to do with your life?”

Jimmyv

Reaction score
A Rolex watch to graduate from High School??? A new car??? Seriously?

When I graduated from High School my Dad said “You are SUPPOSED to graduate from High School like everybody else! Now what are you going to do with your life?”

I thought the same thing. Maybe I’m way out of touch, or was raised drastically differently, but High School is an expectation. While it needs to be celebrated, a big material gift is out of the question.

Higher education, college or trade school, might necessitate a bigger $$ gift. Get an MBA or go to medical/law school - I’ll buy you a nice ass watch to go with your new career.

Otherwise, I’ll set up you transportation while your in school, but I still don’t see buying a nice car as a gift.

J