WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Grand Canyon- Where to stay, what to do?

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I searched, but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

@Sportin' Wood and I are trying to plan a getaway weekend to the Grand Canyon. We've been once, about 15 years ago, for about 2 hours.

First of all, is it better to stay in the park? The hotels had mixed reviews. We don't mind rustic; we loved the Old Faithful Inn (Yellowstone NP) and old downtown historic hotels. There are also some hotels near the airport, and Williams is also an option. One night in Williams and one in the park? IDK.

Where to eat? Restaurants on the South Rim did not have super reviews.

What to do? I would love to experience the bottom of the canyon, but we aren't up for a hike to the bottom and back up at this point. But we do love hiking. Are there hikes around Williams? What about riding bikes along the rim? It looks like there is a 13-mile trail to walk/ride. Has anyone done it?

We will have our 4WD Colorado, so some cool trails to explore would also be welcomed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

yz450mm

Reaction score

I'd recommend staying at the Grand Canyon Railway hotel and doing the train ride. Stay Friday night at the hotel, get on the train Saturday morning and head to the park, lunch at one of the restaurants on the rim, hike for a couple of hourse then return to Williams in the afternoon on the train. The train has cocktails/snacks served by each car's attendant, and also has a dining car with a small cafe. Saturday evening/night you can walk across the tracks to downtown Williams, and there are lots of options for restaurants and bars to explore.

Sunday morning head over to Bearizona (5 minute drive) and drive through a couple of times, then explore the rest of Williams or go biking/hiking the rest of the day. Bearizona also has a decent sized traditional walk through zoo setup, and a few options for food and cocktails/beer.

The Grand Canyon Brewing Company is also next to the hotel, and has a large center bar and good food.

They also have a package where you stay night one in Williams, then take the train to the park and stay night two there, then return to Williams on the train the morning of day 3.

thedan

Reaction score
We loved Walnut Canyon National Monument about 45 minutes east of Williams on the 40. Nice little hike around the cliff dwellings.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I swear, this is pretty much exactly how our Grand Canyon Vacation went since we didn't feel like hiking so much, lol.

That is how ours went as well. I'm more interested in a back-country experience, but flying solo off-road may not be the best this time of year.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Bearizona is a must, drive through a couple of times (look in the trees as well) and then tour the walking part, they have a restaurant that has pretty decent food.
Bear burgers ? 🤷🏻 lol

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Wife and daughter rode mules to the bottom. You spend the night down there and ride back up the next morning. Experience of a lifetime. Avoid summer. It’s hit AF and no AC in most of the park.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
I would stay in the park area .
I can’t remember the name where we stay .
It was more of a motel and bit dated .
Only thing price was good for me

kurtis500

Reaction score
Walnut Canyon was great. Id recommend that if you're in the Flagstaff area.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Last July, on our way home from Lake Powell we stopped and stayed in the park at the El Tovar. I would highly recommend it.

Da wifey and I have made several trips in recent few years to the Grand Canyon. Staying in the park will be one of most memorable for sure. We enjoyed meals at the restaurant in a beautiful rustic setting.

EE63690B-5CDD-488F-920D-33B2D6CE587D.jpeg

AD02D99A-BA99-4598-B2EC-0E476560F083.jpeg

9B9304C8-FA62-4916-ABDE-991985197983.jpeg

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
In the park walk ou the trail to Shoshone point, it is not on the park supplied map. Very few people go out there.
We enjoyed staying at the Bright Angle Lodge in one of the cabins, then head out to Hermits rest.

dezrtracer

Reaction score
I searched, but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

@Sportin' Wood and I are trying to plan a getaway weekend to the Grand Canyon. We've been once, about 15 years ago, for about 2 hours.

First of all, is it better to stay in the park? The hotels had mixed reviews. We don't mind rustic; we loved the Old Faithful Inn (Yellowstone NP) and old downtown historic hotels. There are also some hotels near the airport, and Williams is also an option. One night in Williams and one in the park? IDK.

Where to eat? Restaurants on the South Rim did not have super reviews.

What to do? I would love to experience the bottom of the canyon, but we aren't up for a hike to the bottom and back up at this point. But we do love hiking. Are there hikes around Williams? What about riding bikes along the rim? It looks like there is a 13-mile trail to walk/ride. Has anyone done it?

We will have our 4WD Colorado, so some cool trails to explore would also be welcomed.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Scope out some SXS riding for us while you're there too . Been trying to find info on it but , not finding much .

FreeBird236

Reaction score
You might check with the Railroad Hotel and see if they still have packages where you can stay in their hotel, ride the train and spend a night on the rim. We had a very reasonable package, about 7-8 hundred dollars per couple and also included a couple meals. It was the observation car on the train which is preferable and besides the Railroad Hotel it included the Maswik Lodge which was acceptable. The El Tovar or the Bright Angel lodge are supposed to be better. Or You can just drive in and book one of the hotels. I believe the El Tovar is in the $300+ range, Maswik is about half that. Once you're there transportation is free, at least it used to be.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
We did a day trip from Havasu the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. We left early so very little line to enter the park. We spoke with some peeps around noon, they said it was a 40 minute line to enter. I would stay in the park if possible. The south rim drive heading east is beautiful all the way to desert view. El Tovar has a cocktail lounge that serves a light menu. The Chili over rice was excellent and the wife's chil verde pulled was very good.
You will always miss something, that's why it calls us back. This was probably our 10th visit, maybe more.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Following this thread. We rented an Airbnb in Williams and the train ride experience for the kids and grandkids is on the agenda. Four or five days in late March.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Look into national forest areas outside the park. I saw many sxs on designated fs roads. Street legal I don't know.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We did a day trip from Havasu the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. We left early so very little line to enter the park. We spoke with some peeps around noon, they said it was a 40 minute line to enter. I would stay in the park if possible. The south rim drive heading east is beautiful all the way to desert view. El Tovar has a cocktail lounge that serves a light menu. The Chili over rice was excellent and the wife's chil verde pulled was very good.
You will always miss something, that's why it calls us back. This was probably our 10th visit, maybe more.

So what do you do there? Do you hike? Ride bikes? Or just take in the beauty of the big ditch that Paul Bunyan made dragging his axe?

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Following this thread. We rented an Airbnb in Williams and the train ride experience for the kids and grandkids is on the agenda. Four or five days in late March.
Train ride is great, we did the Polar Express with the kids way back when. Really enjoyed the ride. We have been in the train 3 times. Kids will love it😃
My wife loves the GC and would go every year if we could. We used to cut through on the way to and from NAU when my son was attending.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
A stop at LILO’s Westside cafe in Seligman is a must for us when we pass thru there, west of Williams on the 40. Old school, outstanding food and service.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Scope out some SXS riding for us while you're there too . Been trying to find info on it but , not finding much .

Your bride was discussing that with us. We will stay on the lookout. If you figure out a good trail, keep us in mind.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For as many times as I've been there you'd think I'd have some advice on the matter.. LOL.

I've done the train out of williams a couple of times, and I'm pretty sure we have been there in one of our RV adventures or weekend adventures.

RD

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
We usually walk the rim paths at the various lookout along the drives. Scenery changes 10 feet down the path. Visit the museum/ visitor areas. Cocktails at El Tovar.
Sometimes we find a quiet place with our chairs and just look. Very peaceful and relaxing. We did fly over it on a tour from the airport. That was cool.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
There is a ride from Mesquite, Nevada, out to a ranch I need to learn more about, but I think that is a fall trip. Perhaps we plan for next year?

Yep. We are in beginning process of putting a ride together. Probably in the fall.

Bar 10 Ranch. I might just go run there and back to check it out in the meantime.

2Driver

Reaction score
We would go up each year between Xmas and new years for 2 nights

We stayed in the historic cabins that are right on the edge, literally right off bright angel trail. They overlook the canyon from the room and have fireplaces. The rooms are small but we liked the rusticness and location. The main lodge is cool but the rooms are small, but it’s nice a historic lodge. I wouldn’t suggest the other onsite lodge rooms back off the rim Either way 2 nights would be plenty IMO. The historic cabins on the rim are booked out, but we would start calling around this time of year 3 times a day and we would usually get a cancellation between Xmas and New years.

Eating in the park is tough. You used to need reservations at the 2 small restaurants, if I recall there is one in the main lodge and one between the cabins and the lodge…both 3 minute walk from the cabins. Who knows with labor the way it is now, but Id call if you plan on relying on them as your food. We ended up eating some meals in the on site general/grocery store as it has a small self serve restaurant burgers pizza stuff. It’s a real short drive from the cabin.

This time of year hiking down bright angel trail any distance can be sketchy as the trail can ice over but you can try :) we walked down a bit but it was fresh snow. Distance hikers we’re wearing crampon cleats. There is a great trail that runs the rim, you can get on the trail right outside the cabins or the main lodge.

I’ve always meant to do it but haven't and that is to drive along the whole south rim (64) from the lodge all the way out to the 89 ( 89 runs back to Flagstaff) then go back to Flag. I’m not sure about 64 access in winter.

Last edited:

Slick

Reaction score
That's the ride. I would be in for the Fall.
Check with the Polaris dealer in Mesquite. They could provide details on the ride. They just did a group ride out there.

Attachments

• B28F117F-22DF-460B-9412-F1EEFD395E5C.png
    B28F117F-22DF-460B-9412-F1EEFD395E5C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
So what do you do there? Do you hike? Ride bikes? Or just take in the beauty of the big ditch that Paul Bunyan made dragging his axe?

Its a lot to take in. The views bring us back. Our visits are usually pretty fast as we are typically passing by on other destinations. We pick a different trail each time to enjoy a hike, stop for a picnic (pop some champagne) or ride bikes. My wife will even plan a short yoga session someplace along our paths. Its a great mental reset and reminds us to take time for each other, away from the normal hubbub.
I mentioned staying in the park previously, however I didn't take the time to offer up what made it so enjoyable. Having the ability to just walk out of our hotel room and be on the trail and overlook at any given time is pretty nice. Easy to grab a cup of coffee in the morning, step out and see the sunrise, sunsets are spectacular, pour some bourbon and stargaze at night. We have been there when monsoons pass thru and it is wild to watch the rain. Even more dramatic views when it snows. We noted some cabins on the rim that maybe will try another time, again eliminating the need to load up from a hotel at a town nearby and drive in thru the gate (sometimes can be long waits).
Make the trip count, there is lots to see and learn.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Not even on designated roads?

We are planning for late January I think. Maybe mid-Feb. Arizona winter is not really winter for us, LOL.

If you are on regular roads (dirt roads included) as long as you have a license plate that is street primary with insurance etc you are good. You have to drive subject to the same rules as a car such as speed limit etc. So not really that fun.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
If you are on regular roads (dirt roads included) as long as you have a license plate that is street primary with insurance etc you are good. You have to drive subject to the same rules as a car such as speed limit etc. So not really that fun.
Right. So if you were to take a trail from Mesquite or even Williams, you could then hop on the road and enjoy the park. It's a pretty popular to take SxS's up Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park. I'm guessing driving into GCNP in one would be pretty great also, in warmer weather than Jan/Feb though, LOL.

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Ok. I just made a reservation for one night in a Bright Angel cabin. We will leave LHC on Sat morning, stay the night, so we can view the sunset and sunrise, then have a leisurely return home along Route 66. I'm planning to take the bicycles to ride the trail along the rim, weather permitting.

Thanks for all of the comments and advice. If anyone else wants to join us on the weekend of the 21st, let us know.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Right. So if you were to take a trail from Mesquite or even Williams, you could then hop on the road and enjoy the park. It's a pretty popular to take SxS's up Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park. I'm guessing driving into GCNP in one would be pretty great also, in warmer weather than Jan/Feb though, LOL.

Btw per a conversation i had with a Ranger at lake mead it doesn't matter what state you are in either, Technically you could drive your AZ street legal sxs in Yosemite within the borders of the park, as long as you stay on roads or vehicle permited trails.

This is because the parks are Federal and as long as the vehicle is road legal within the place it's registered, it's legal in a federal park.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Btw per a conversation i had with a Ranger at lake mead it doesn't matter what state you are in either, Technically you could drive your AZ street legal sxs in Yosemite within the borders of the park, as long as you stay on roads or vehicle permited trails.

This is because the parks are Federal and as long as the vehicle is road legal within the place it's registered, it's legal in a federal park.
Great point.

2Driver

Reaction score
Thats great, hopefully you were able to get the cabins with a view and fireplace

I know some of the cheaper nonview cabins don't have bathrooms

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the party
We have a home in Williams. Town is decorated nice for the holidays
The Grand Canyon hotel looks nice and always busy but we never stayed there. Only had cocktails lol
We stayed at the Best Western when we were home shopping. Met a lot of locals that went to the bar and restaurant
Most of the places to eat are over priced crappy tourist food. But we always enjoy El Comadore just outside of town next to the Shell station
You said you'll take Ol route 66 which we do every trip. 20 miles longer but avoid hwy 40 like the plague.
West side lilos is ok but Road Kill cafe is cleaner and better service in Seligman
The new toboggan run and sledding hill is open in Williams.
Bearizona is great. Never thought it would be so big.
It's cold now. Had 6" of snow yesterday
I would do the train ride again
Daughter hiked Walnut canyon and it looked awesome but it's quite a drive from Williams
You don't need a SxS for most of the fire roads but a lot are closed this time of year
We did the gondola ride at the snow bowl in Flagstaff this fall.
Just had thanksgiving there with our girls
williams1.jpg
williams.jpg

resized_20221019_104703-2-jpeg.1164931

Resized_Resized_20220226_093352.jpg

Resized_Resized_20211128_063600.jpg

Resized_Resized_IMG_4433.jpg

Last edited:

Ol Man

Reaction score
There is a ride from Mesquite, Nevada, out to a ranch I need to learn more about, but I think that is a fall trip. Perhaps we plan for next year?
Assume you are talking about Bar 10. Did a dual sport ride to there from Mesquite some years back. We spent the night and had a few meals. After dinner, the employees did a show. Lots of fun. A few miles from the Bar 10 is a very cool overlook of the Colorado River.

grumpy88

Reaction score

So why is it not legal to drive on the toads through death valley in a sxs ? Or lake mead ? Or any other national park ?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

This is a accurate. We got yelled at by Boulder City PD, but drove the SXSs to Hoover Dam and were just told to leave our firearms in the cars and to have fun.

The looks on tourists faces were like we were driving Lamborghinis 🤣

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

I've put together rides twice in the last year. 👍👍

If you have any questions or want GPS maps let me know.

Attachments

• MT1.jpg
    MT1.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 29
  • b10-4.jpg
    b10-4.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 29
  • b10-3.jpg
    b10-3.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 32
  • b10-2.jpg
    b10-2.jpg