WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Great Bench Top Mini Mill???

rivergames

Reaction score
Been looking around online for a Bench Top Mini Mill and see quite a few options. I'm not looking for the 'BEST', but just a great all around mini mill. Besides Harbor Freight or Eastwood, I see a Weiss, a Klutch, a Wen. There are a bunch of different types. I hear JET is a great company, but those are more than double the cost. Just seeing if someone picked up a benchtop mini mill and has great use out of her. This will mostly be used for building aluminum boat parts in my garage. For big parts, I'll just run to to my shop and use my Bridgeport.

Harbor Freight
image_11326.jpg

Or Eastwood
_p_3_p32498c_3.jpg

JET
5-best-mini-milling-machine-JET.jpg

Klutch
2-best-mini-milling-machine-klutch.jpg

WEN
3-best-mini-milling-machine-WEN.jpg

ltbaney1

Reaction score
the Jets are more solid and i like the belt system over VFD on the smaller machines. if i were in your shoes, id look at weight (mass means stable) and what spindle taper they accept. none of the ones pictured appear to be R8, so im guessing they will morse taper. morse taper is good, just make sure they are not using some oddball thing only they use or brown & sharpe taper, youd play hell trying to find holders.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Of the lot, Jet for longer life and parts availability.
Most of the others are probably made in the same factory and branded/configured for each customer. IMO

ltbaney1

Reaction score
also check out grizzly. i know a few guys who have bought from them and been happy.

spectras only

Reaction score
Jet would be my choosing of the ones you posted. KIng from Canada has a line up, starting with the PDM 30 at $2600 cdn. It is robust for a table top hobby machine ;)

rivergames

Reaction score
also check out grizzly. i know a few guys who have bought from them and been happy.
The others (Harbor Freight / Eastwood / ETC) are all R8

The Gizzly looks like a pretty nice 'In Between' piece of machinery right there! Plus they have a 1 year warranty on Grizzly

4Waters

Reaction score
The jet is the only one that looks different, the rest all look like the same machine just different colors

spectras only

Reaction score
The Jet and King models are all pretty stout. The King I posted link for is ca 600 lbs. The mini mills are like toys in the 130-140lbs weight.
The King post here now is about 300lbsI , doable to put on a table by two people.

rivergames

Reaction score
The Jet and King models are all pretty stout. The King I posted link for is ca 600 lbs. The mini mills are like toys in the 130-140lbs weight.
The King post here now is about 300lbsI , doable to put on a table by two people.
That sucker does appear to be pretty damn solid! A bit more money, but then you get what you pay for

rivergames

Reaction score
I went with the Grizzly. A few hundy more than the HF or Eastwood, but half the cost of the JET / King.

It wont be used daily so hopefully will last fine.

I also ordered a new table clamp kit, set of end mills, R8 Collet Kit, & a 4" vice or a rotary table.

Should be a nice little setup for building more boats, trucks, bikes and gun shit.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I went with the Grizzly. A few hundy more than the HF or Eastwood, but half the cost of the JET / King.

It wont be used daily so hopefully will last fine.

I also ordered a new table clamp kit, set of end mills, R8 Collet Kit, & a 4" vice or a rotary table.

Should be a nice little setup for building more boats, trucks, bikes and gun shit.

The Grizzly looks nice.

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
I have been looking also and find the combo mill/lathe interesting. Anyone have one or chime in?