WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Great Depression Era Unemployment

jet496

Reaction score
This will be the new narrative by the media now that the deaths & covid have diminished. It's like, no shit Sherlock, the government took everybody down to the ground, put a foot on their throats, and told them to stay home, no work, no nothing, the economy shut down. Gee, they could easily calculate that figure early on.

Good lord, they created every bit of it & if they'd lay the fuck off, we'd be gangbusters again tomorrow.

Jimmy

Reaction score
It amazes me how the American government has royally screwed this whole covid thing up.
Here in Oz we're going to come out of it not to bad, it'll be the collateral damage from everyone else going down that'll hurt us.
I haven't heard anyone lose there job yet.
They may have been stood down but the government has picked up the bill and they stay employed until work picks back up.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Not completely unaffected, my promotion has be put on hold for 1 year and I am getting a 10% pay cut. Now before you say 10% ain't shit, it is when you make 40k a year.
My wife's a teacher here in Az. She took a 60% cut to come here from Cali. She loves what she does, and our bills aren't bad. The teachers here got that whole "Red for Ed" BS thing last year...10% increase this year, supposed to be another 10 next year. She's heard the governor and state legislature wants to cut education to 2007/8 numbers. This would mean a 30% cut from this year. Loosely figured, a tad over minimum wage. Figure in what is taken out for medical and such, and it's not pretty. Really thinking hard about doing a private pre-school on the property here. May be a lot of youngins' in 9 months, so a good crop in a few years. We shall see.

just_floatin

Reaction score
Rent is due Friday.
D8C0F800-C71A-4ADC-9BC0-A41BDAB89DA0.jpeg

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
This will be the new narrative by the media now that the deaths & covid have diminished. It's like, no shit Sherlock, the government took everybody down to the ground, put a foot on their throats, and told them to stay home, no work, no nothing, the economy shut down. Gee, they could easily calculate that figure early on.

Good lord, they created every bit of it & if they'd lay the fuck off, we'd be gangbusters again tomorrow.

30 million unemployed will only take about 12 years to get back to par, assuming we have near record highering for EVERYONE of those months, and assuming NO ONE enters the workforce.

It will however, give our President a second massive economy buildout to put under his belt. And the liberal tears will power the hydroelectric power plants that fuel the recovery.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
My wife's a teacher here in Az. She took a 60% cut to come here from Cali. She loves what she does, and our bills aren't bad. The teachers here got that whole "Red for Ed" BS thing last year...10% increase this year, supposed to be another 10 next year. She's heard the governor and state legislature wants to cut education to 2007/8 numbers. This would mean a 30% cut from this year. Loosely figured, a tad over minimum wage. Figure in what is taken out for medical and such, and it's not pretty. Really thinking hard about doing a private pre-school on the property here. May be a lot of youngins' in 9 months, so a good crop in a few years. We shall see.
Tax collections will be half of what they were in the last few years.

The real problem will be when the reality of paying the outrageous pensions in CA and such for govt employees finally comes to a head. There will not be a pot to piss in, so to speak.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

The real problem will be when the reality of paying the outrageous pensions in CA and such for govt employees finally comes to a head. There will not be a pot to piss in, so to speak.
Funny you should say that...about the pensions. I had some time with a state gig, and obviously my wife with the teachers. When we left Ca, I cashed out. They told me it's a heavy hit, it's not much, I should leave it in, etc... At that point, it would have been 20+ years before I would see any of it. Over that time, I didn't see things getting better. Over a couple years, wife saw the same. I'd rather take the risk on my own, good or bad, it wasn't in someone else's hands anymore.

Time will tell if it was a good choice or poor on my part. Either way, not dependant on the house of cards being built by the powers that be. If we hadn't made some moves like that, the impending paycut would be an insurmountable obstacle, as I'm afraid it will be for a lot of people.

Those are who I worry about. The young families just starting out, some with college loans still, and trying to make rent. There are people that think teachers make way too much. When in Cali, I had to deal with some who did, but that's another story. The cost of living there was massive, and a single parent, as a teacher, would have had a tough time affording both a house and kids. Here, even with the property being cheaper, it's quite the same.

The other big issue is not just the funding for the status quo. It is really all dependant upon what new BS "distancing guidelines" may be set. They are pushing online schools a lot...one teacher can have a giant class with that. That is all well and fine, from a strictly academic standpoint. Kids have become socially inept as it is...but I digress. The other issue, online only works for kids in upper grades, and those that are not special needs. Special needs is a whole other factor, and most don't really see what is involved there. That can range from developmentally disabled, to speech issues, and a whole lot in between.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
Funny you should say that...about the pensions. I had some time with a state gig, and obviously my wife with the teachers. When we left Ca, I cashed out. They told me it's a heavy hit, it's not much, I should leave it in, etc... At that point, it would have been 20+ years before I would see any of it. Over that time, I didn't see things getting better. Over a couple years, wife saw the same. I'd rather take the risk on my own, good or bad, it wasn't in someone else's hands anymore.

Time will tell if it was a good choice or poor on my part. Either way, not dependant on the house of cards being built by the powers that be. If we hadn't made some moves like that, the impending paycut would be an insurmountable obstacle, as I'm afraid it will be for a lot of people.

Those are who I worry about. The young families just starting out, some with college loans still, and trying to make rent. There are people that think teachers make way too much. When in Cali, I had to deal with some who did, but that's another story. The cost of living there was massive, and a single parent, as a teacher, would have had a tough time affording both a house and kids. Here, even with the property being cheaper, it's quite the same.

The other big issue is not just the funding for the status quo. It is really all dependant upon what new BS "distancing guidelines" may be set. They are pushing online schools a lot...one teacher can have a giant class with that. That is all well and fine, from a strictly academic standpoint. Kids have become socially inept as it is...but I digress. The other issue, online only works for kids in upper grades, and those that are not special needs. Special needs is a whole other factor, and most don't really see what is involved there. That can range from developmentally disabled, to speech issues, and a whole lot in between.
The unintended consequences of this Charles J Foxtrot will be epic. And I have to think at least a
Dozen new federal agencies will be created to deal with all this shit, and thousands of state/local agencies too.

This is a steamroller with no driver, but they are putting massive turbos on the Motor...

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score

You probably want to have a drink before you read this, and then have a few lined up for after you finish.

I don’t see how this ends up well.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

every state's wild dream was to exploit the covid 19 situation and hope to get enough fed bailout money to keep the pension crisis can kicking down the road.