WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Great Haulover video

LazyLavey

Reaction score
That's just f'n stupid... PFD on kids would be my pet peeve if I was a LEO there (if required)

Not to mention the fact that It's probably enough to frighten any youngster for future boating adventures

• Federal Law requires that when a vessel is underway, children under 13 years of age must wear their lifejacket.
  • exceptions for when below deck or within an enclosed cabin.
  • State laws may vary. Check with your state boating safety officials.

2Driver

Reaction score
What were the Trump white supremacist in the green boat doing at 11:42?

satellitemike

Reaction score
I am sure I missed some minors that were wearing PFD's but I sure didnt see any! WTF?
And whats with these people and not seeming to care about how fucked up their stuff gets?

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score
Is dad gonna turn around or what? Fuck
Although I found myself yelling at the second clip. Why do people let kids ride in the bow in these conditions, much less without a vest on?

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
That was one of the better videos. I’ve seen most of those incidents, but not all together like that.

It also confirms the need for scuppers on any boat that goes in ocean. Your typical bilge pump cannot clear that much water from a boat in any sort of hurry.

I really do enjoy watching stupidity. The Regal is just a complete lack of boating skills. Especially when the bow is under and he is hitting the throttle. Truly fun to watch. I just wish we could have seen them abandon ship……. Into the blue. Oh well….. maybe next time!

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I have never understood all the people that have people (especially kids) in the open bow going through there. Often there is plenty of room in the back of the boat.

Last edited:

RichL

Reaction score
I have never understood all the people that have people (especially kids) in the open now going through there. Often there is plenty of room in the back of the boat.
This times 10. Goes to show common sense isn't so common.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Rookie hour on some of those boats with women and children in the bow like that. I have to compliment the camera operator, great footage and quality.

gqchris

Reaction score
I have read that people do this for "fun" at the inlet and the kids have a blast getting their asses beat and boats almost sunk. These same idiots don't realize what a danger they are putting everyone in. Makes no fucking sense.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
That was one of the better videos. I’ve seen most of those incidents, but not all together like that.

It also confirms the need for scuppers on any boat that goes in ocean. Your typical bilge pump cannot clear that much water from a boat in any sort of hurry.

I really do enjoy watching stupidity. The Regal is just a complete lack of boating skills. Especially when the bow is under and he is hitting the throttle. Truly fun to watch. I just wish we could have seen them abandon ship……. Into the blue. Oh well….. maybe next time!

Serious question for you - The Nortech at about the 3:30 mark stuffs it pretty hard and takes a lot of water over the bow. What could/should he have done to avoid the stuff? I've done a fair amount of boating in the Pacific and think I do OK, but I don't think I've driven my boat in these kinds of conditions.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I can't get my wife to stop screaming in Havasu chop, this would never happen, especially with our 11yo in the bow.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Seems like common sense to me, but why would you pack the bow with people (weight) heading out in that type of chop? Keep the weight in the back

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Serious question for you - The Nortech at about the 3:30 mark stuffs it pretty hard and takes a lot of water over the bow. What could/should he have done to avoid the stuff? I've done a fair amount of boating in the Pacific and think I do OK, but I don't think I've driven my boat in these kinds of conditions.

He needs to get on the sticks. He's going too slow and rolling over the waves allowing the bow to slap down. If he throttles up as he crests the wave the boat will "fly" over the wave with the bow up and the stern down, then land on the next wave in that attitude. Very similar to riding a dirt bike over whoops. You have to be good on the sticks to hit it hard as you go up the wave and then slam them back just as the drives come out of the water to avoid over revving the engines as well as breaking a drive on re-entry.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
He needs to get on the sticks. He's going too slow and rolling over the waves allowing the bow to slap down. If he throttles up as he crests the wave the boat will "fly" over the wave with the bow up and the stern down, then land on the next wave in that attitude. Very similar to riding a dirt bike over whoops. You have to be good on the sticks to hit it hard as you go up the wave and then slam them back just as the drives come out of the water to avoid over revving the engines as well as breaking a drive on re-entry.

Right - It's a tricky balance between adding enough power to keep the bow up but not getting too much speed to where the boat trips on the next wave. I guess I was wondering if there was anything else to consider when going relatively slow going through a section like in the video. Looking closer at the video, it doesn't look like the driver moves the throttles at all which could be the reason he stuffs so hard.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score

Take a look at the 6:33 on the video……

There is a perfect example of right and wrong. The “express boat” on the right side is perfect. He has his inboard motors trimmed back, his tabs all the way up, and is keeping his bow up at all times. His speed is also consistent with conditions. That is how it is done.

The center console on the left in the 6:33 video has his motors in the complete down position. You can even hear him air/cavitation the props. His timing is also bad and is exasperating the effect of the steep stack at mouth of inlet.

There are multiple techniques, but in the case of the Nortech at the 3:30 mark….. His timing is terrible, but that can happen to even the most experience captains. Once you stuff it the first time, generally you are going to do it approx 2 more times, before you can get the boat from hobby horsing, or pitch poling, which is actually the correct term. The way I would have done it, is too let off throttle just as I am hitting first wave, trying to get momentum of bow to bury onto crest of the wave, so that the boats buoyancy is now pushing the bow up as it comes into the trough (troff?). Not doing this results in the bow launching off the wave bringing it so high, that it cannot help but stuff on the landing.

If you are driving any form of cabin cruiser or trawler style boat….. you cannot lift bow. All you have is a throttle that usually has little quick response, but like any boat, you can get bow to lower by timing when you are going to let off throttle, which is right when you are just about to impact wave. This will help the boats momentum push the bow in to the wave, so it pops up as boat is going through the trough. (I am not sure on spelling of Troff). Timing is critical.

I must admit….. I am pretty skilled, but I have still had my ass handed to me. It’s a humbling experience too! Shit happens!

Being a delivery Captain…… I am guessing that I have taken at least 100 different kinds of boats through inlets.Some are truly better than others for inlets. The most insane boat I ever took into a nasty stacked up inlet was a 1940’s Military Troop Carrier. It would not steer in a following sea……. I had to surf it into the inlet, just missing the jetty. It took the entire width of the inlet to get the boat inside. It was truly a white knuckle experience.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Take a look at the 6:33 on the video……

There is a perfect example of right and wrong. The “express boat” on the right side is perfect. He has his inboard motors trimmed back, his tabs all the way up, and is keeping his bow up at all times. His speed is also consistent with conditions. That is how it is done.

The center console on the left in the 6:33 video has his motors in the complete down position. You can even hear him air/cavitation the props. His timing is also bad and is exasperating the effect of the steep stack at mouth of inlet.

There are multiple techniques, but in the case of the Nortech at the 3:30 mark….. His timing is terrible, but that can happen to even the most experience captains. Once you stuff it the first time, generally you are going to do it approx 2 more times, before you can get the boat from hobby horsing, or pitch poling, which is actually the correct term. The way I would have done it, is too let off throttle just as I am hitting first wave, trying to get momentum of bow to bury onto crest of the wave, so that the boats buoyancy is now pushing the bow up as it comes into the trough (troff?). Not doing this results in the bow launching off the wave bringing it so high, that it cannot help but stuff on the landing.

If you are driving any form of cabin cruiser or trawler style boat….. you cannot lift bow. All you have is a throttle that usually has little quick response, but like any boat, you can get bow to lower by timing when you are going to let off throttle, which is right when you are just about to impact wave. This will help the boats momentum push the bow in to the wave, so it pops up as boat is going through the trough. (I am not sure on spelling of Troff). Timing is critical.

I must admit….. I am pretty skilled, but I have still had my ass handed to me. It’s a humbling experience too! Shit happens!

Being a delivery Captain…… I am guessing that I have taken at least 100 different kinds of boats through inlets.Some are truly better than others for inlets. The most insane boat I ever took into a nasty stacked up inlet was a 1940’s Military Troop Carrier. It would not steer in a following sea……. I had to surf it into the inlet, just missing the jetty. It took the entire width of the inlet to get the boat inside. It was truly a white knuckle experience.
Good info - Thanks!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Oh those were great haulover vids.... a little stuffing for your Thanksgiving outtings ha.

Got Bilge Pump?

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have never understood all the people that have people (especially kids) in the open now going through there. Often there is plenty of room in the back of the boat.
Yep. When I am going up river or in choppy situations I always make the passengers move to the rear of the boat.

rrrr

Reaction score
I have read that people do this for "fun" at the inlet and the kids have a blast getting their asses beat and boats almost sunk. These same idiots don't realize what a danger they are putting everyone in. Makes no fucking sense.
The ocean is dangerous. It looks for carelessness. It punishes those that don't respect it. It can and will kill you.

The girl that went overboard came very close to dying. When the jet ski missed her on the first pickup attempt and she went under, I thought she was done.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
The ocean is dangerous. It looks for carelessness. It punishes those that don't respect it. It can and will kill you.

The girl that went overboard came very close to dying. When the jet ski missed her on the first pickup attempt and she went under, I thought she was done.
yeah and yet the dumb bitch saves her phone. maybe if she held on inside of the boat she wouldn't have been in that position

gqchris

Reaction score
yeah and yet the dumb bitch saves her phone. maybe if she held on inside of the boat she wouldn't have been in that position
Yup, this one act sums up the problem with the world today. I am in a treacherous sea with boats and propellers a couple of feet away from me, instead of swimming, I will hold my phone up because its the most important thing to me. WTF. Seriously. What has this shitty world become.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Yup, this one act sums up the problem with the world today. I am in a treacherous sea with boats and propellers a couple of feet away from me, instead of swimming, I will hold my phone up because its the most important thing to me. WTF. Seriously. What has this shitty world become.
I love people using their phones, it reminds me to put mine down and take in life. Now this damned computer on the other hand...

retaocleg

Reaction score
i thought the same.........especially after seeing the bikini top flying on the first boat, ill admit i kept watching to see

rrrr

Reaction score
Right! I couldn't believe she went submerged trying to keep the phone out of the water, and gave it to the PWC rider instead of getting her dumb ass to safety.

With the tidal current running that fast, she could have been carried away from the rescuer, and before he was able to turn about, a big swallow of water would have put her under for good. It was damn close to being a tragedy instead of her laughs as she was being pulled aboard the ski.

I'm sure with your long experience on the big blue you know how danger is lurking right behind fun. The unwary find that out the hard way.