WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Green Chicken Pozole

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Ok, with the weather getting colder and camping season here, I made some green chili chicken pozole. It was pretty easy and turned out bomb. I was taught by my mother who never used recipes which was good and bad. Good because it forced me to learn on my own, but bad when people have asked me how I made things. I have been making it a point to try and at least keep track of the approximate 😂 ingredients, or photograph, so that I can share. You could adjust the chilis in this recipe for heat. This combination was pretty mild (to me I like things hot) so that my daughter could enjoy. I added raw jalapeno to mine when served for an extra bite.

(1) 2 pound package of Costco rotisserie chicken. I chopped it prior to placing in pot.
(2) 32 oz. chicken broth
Half a can (6lb 14oz) of White Hominy
16 oz 505 medium flame roasted green hatch chili (half the jar in picture).
12 garlic cloves
half a yellow onion
2 jalapenos cored
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon oregano

Garnish
Raw jalapeno sliced, cilantro chopped, radishes sliced, lime, white onion chopped, avocado, and topped with some queso fresco cheese.

I put 16 oz (half a 32 oz Costco jar) of green chili, salt, onion, cored jalapenos, oregano in a blender. Added a little of the chicken broth and blended until smooth. Added to large stock pot along with the rest of the chicken broth on low heat. I chopped the chicken into smaller pieces and added to pot. Simmered on low for a couple of hours. I added half of the can (big 6 lb) of hominy . I usually use a couple of the 32 oz cans of hominy, however Staters was out so I just used about half of the big can. You could use the whole can if you like a lot of corn or adjust to whatever your likings are. Let simmer for another 20 minutes.

Enjoy with your favorite Mexican beer.
Chile 1.jpg
Chile 2.jpg
Chile 3.jpg
Chile 4.jpg
Chile 5.jpg
Chile 6.jpg
Chile 7.jpg

Beerme

Reaction score
Had it for leftovers last night. It was even better than when I made it. Remember that corn (hominy) really loves to suck up all the broth. Probably going to finish it off tonight :p

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Damn....this shit looks good. May have to try it. To me, pozole is ok...Im not in love with pork. Will have to try this....chicken will be good...and I dig the green chile flavor. 👍

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’ve gotta see if the preggo wife feels like eating this...looks amazing but I’m at her culinary mercy until the baby is born LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
All of that 505 brand salsa and chili sauce is BOMB.

I always use it with leftover pork to make chili verde.

The pazole looks amazing 👌

evantwheeler

Reaction score
@Beerme Thank you for sharing this. I made a batch Sunday which will last me through lunch tomorrow. For how simple it is, it sure is damn delicious!

Question - when you add the hominy, do you drain it? I did, and I think that was a mistake. The next time I make it, I'll probably add another 32oz of broth or just not drain the hominy as there isn't much liquid left after the Hominy soaks it up over time.

Beerme

Reaction score
@Beerme Thank you for sharing this. I made a batch Sunday which will last me through lunch tomorrow. For how simple it is, it sure is damn delicious!

Question - when you add the hominy, do you drain it? I did, and I think that was a mistake. The next time I make it, I'll probably add another 32oz of broth or just not drain the hominy as there isn't much liquid left after the Hominy soaks it up over time.
Sorry, I left out that note. I drain it. Every recipe i've see that uses hominy you usually drain it. Sometimes you drain and rinse, but i never have. I think the liquid has too much starch in it to use, but i'd be guessing. I understand what you mean, definitely you could add another chicken broth, but once when I was camping and did a large batch, I didn't have enough broth for what i wanted. I just added some water and upped my spices and salt. I'm definitely one who loves a lot of broth. I especially like smooth broth and that is why i blend it prior to putting in broth. You could probably even sift it to make the broth even thinner.

I'm glad you liked it. It definitely thickens up each day it's kept and you lose liquid as the hominy soaks up the broth. I'm actually going to make some this Saturday for the football game. The chili is on coupon right now at costco so i stocked up. It's only $5. Its a 40 oz.

Also, i did this over new years and said screw it, just added the whole jar of green chilis and it was mucho bueno. I left the seeds and core of the jalapeno also.

Last edited:

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Bump. Its Pozole weather in SoCal. Had to pull this up to refresh my memory

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
In my old age I've gotten lazy. I just use a can of green enchilada sauce instead of mucking about with the peppers when doing pozole. The same when doing a pork or chicken chili verde in the crock pot. Throw in a handful of cubed tomatillos and cilantro to make it look like you were at it for hours.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Never had pozole with chicken or green sauce. Might have to give it a try.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Make you own stock, completely changes the dish.

I make pozole the first real cold, dreary weekend we have. I've found that the stock recipe from Guy Fieri's chicken and dumplings works well and is easy to make.

The only difference is I use 5lbs of bone in chicken thighs and drumsticks instead of whole chicken. Takes me all afternoon but what the fuck else am I going to do on a rainy fall Sunday?