Here’s how I do mine.

4-6 lb bone in pork butt
5 garlic cloves not peeled
2lbs of tomatillos
2 jalapeños
2 Serrano’s
2 poblanos
2 Anaheim
2-4 Hatch green Chile’s (if you can find them, I buy lots when I’m season and freeze)
1 bunch of cilantro leaves cleaned.
Salt
Pepper
2 yellow onions
3 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp of chopped fresh oregano or 1 Tbsp of dried oregano
2.5 cups chicken stock
Pinch of ground cloves.

I do a basic salt and pepper rub on the pork butt and smoke it for 8-9 hrs. Looking for 205 internal temp. Basically same method you would use to make pulled pork.

I then roast all the tomatillos (peeled, cleaned), Chile’s, and whole garlic cloves over an open flame ( I use my charcoal Weber old school bbq) but could do it under the broiler as well. After roasting I put all the chili’s in a paper sack to steam ( makes peelin skin easier).

Place all roasted Chile’s, tomatillos, cilantro and garlic into blender / food process and blend. This will be you verde sauce/ base.

Then in a large pot add olive oil and get onions into hot pot to begin sweating down, I then add the peeled chopped garlic (raw) as it cooks faster then the onions. I season using salt and pepper throughout each step to make sure each component is properly seasoned and taste throughout each step and add more or less depending on your taste.

Once onion is sweated down (becomes translucent) and garlic is cooked add in the pulled smoked pork meat. Then add verde sauce and chicken stock to cover meat and add in pinch of ground cloves. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.

Once boiling reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 hrs to let sauce reduce and concentrate flavors. Then serve, feeds 8 to 10 people. If I make it for just the wife and kids we will eat half and freeze half for later.

Serve with tortillas or rice. Next day we fry a corn tortilla and fry an egg and and do a take on huevos rancheros for breakfast. Measurements aren’t exact I don’t have a written recipe for this just wing it from memory but it doesn’t disappoint I promise.

F5D21758-41AE-4EF8-A923-58553535527C.jpeg
81639E26-5976-4158-9FA1-63BD0CE048B2.jpeg
53B807D8-2261-46EE-8B03-F1F5DCF5DAEB.jpeg
36CD01D3-AD88-4449-9C95-B1CBC73F8AF9.jpeg
53AA3577-6FB4-4AB9-B662-8BDD1118BB8E.jpeg
2542C461-7CAB-4FE0-B68B-9DA222E0E7D8.jpeg
86853F85-AF68-4025-950F-B3333558EE91.jpeg

Xring01

Reaction score
Here’s how I do mine.

4-6 lb bone in pork butt
5 garlic cloves not peeled
2lbs of tomatillos
2 jalapeños
2 Serrano’s
2 poblanos
2 Anaheim
2-4 Hatch green Chile’s (if you can find them, I buy lots when I’m season and freeze)
1 bunch of cilantro leaves cleaned.
Salt
Pepper
2 yellow onions
3 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp of chopped fresh oregano or 1 Tbsp of dried oregano
2.5 cups chicken stock
Pinch of ground cloves.

I do a basic salt and pepper rub on the pork butt and smoke it for 8-9 hrs. Looking for 205 internal temp. Basically same method you would use to make pulled pork.

I then roast all the tomatillos (peeled, cleaned), Chile’s, and whole garlic cloves over an open flame ( I use my charcoal Weber old school bbq) but could do it under the broiler as well. After roasting I put all the chili’s in a paper sack to steam ( makes peelin skin easier).

Place all roasted Chile’s, tomatillos, cilantro and garlic into blender / food process and blend. This will be you verde sauce/ base.

Then in a large pot add olive oil and get onions into hot pot to begin sweating down, I then add the peeled chopped garlic (raw) as it cooks faster then the onions. I season using salt and pepper throughout each step to make sure each component is properly seasoned and taste throughout each step and add more or less depending on your taste.

Once onion is sweated down (becomes translucent) and garlic is cooked add in the pulled smoked pork meat. Then add verde sauce and chicken stock to cover meat and add in pinch of ground cloves. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.

Once boiling reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 hrs to let sauce reduce and concentrate flavors. Then serve, feeds 8 to 10 people. If I make it for just the wife and kids we will eat half and freeze half for later.

Serve with tortillas or rice. Next day we fry a corn tortilla and fry an egg and and do a take on huevos rancheros for breakfast. Measurements aren’t exact I don’t have a written recipe for this just wing it from memory but it doesn’t disappoint I promise.

View attachment 710194 View attachment 710195 View attachment 710196 View attachment 710197 View attachment 710199 View attachment 710200 View attachment 710202

I want to make this soon...
Quick question... on a scale of 1-10, how spicey is this Chili Verde sauce?

shock22

Reaction score
Depends on the Hatch Chill you use, you can buy from mild for flavor to XX-hot. If you can not find fresh Hatch Chili try to get it powered the Hatch adds a lot of flavor

cpdad93

Reaction score
here is my hillbilly heatometer.....as we all know jalapenos and serranos are ll over the place on heat. I bite the tip off and eat it. If its just hot, toss them all on. If you have to stomp your foot to survive it, consideration is in order, if you lose your voice for 20 minutes, probably deseed one of each. Back in the day an employee of mine use to eat habaneros with lunch. No habaneros for this gringo anymore , based on personal experience.

warlock250

Reaction score
here is my hillbilly heatometer.....as we all know jalapenos and serranos are ll over the place on heat. I bite the tip off and eat it. If its just hot, toss them all on. If you have to stomp your foot to survive it, consideration is in order, if you lose your voice for 20 minutes, probably deseed one of each. Back in the day an employee of mine use to eat habaneros with lunch. No habaneros for this gringo anymore , based on personal experience.
Habaneros are a acidic pepper and give me heartburn. I love spicy hot food. There are a lot of great peppers out there that won't hurt ya to bad but it doesn't mean you can use the entire pepper either. Look up the Moruga Scorpion pepper. My friend had a small field he harvested them out of at his place years ago along with some crazy other peppers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DLC

Reaction score
For a quickie, we use the Trader Joe’s Salsa verde sauce and it’s good, if you don’t have a lot of time to make from scratch
although nothing beats home made

96D0FD27-E159-404C-9E20-D19A02E2BBC1.jpeg

Reactions: TPC

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Also, you can leave the "Green" off the front of the name unless you're particularly fond of redundancy.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
For a quickie, we use the Trader Joe’s Salsa verde sauce and it’s good, if you don’t have a lot of time to make from scratch
although nothing beats home made

View attachment 762320
We found all the various sauces at TJs are fantastic.
Their Enchilada sauce is like no others either. Makes a big difference in our Mexican lasagnas.