WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Green pork chili with potatoes

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
I know this is a BBQ thread, but i'd thought i'd throw out a good easy Mexican stew dish that is great for cold weather. I have a few pics, but as usual I got distracted towards the end and forgot to take pictures of the finished product. Don't worry, it was delicious.

I started with a small pork butt that I had frozen from Butcher Box from COVID lockdown. I thawed and cubed. When doing this it is easier to leave the meat slightly frozen as cutting it into cubes is much easier. I took the fat cap off and discarded along with most of the fat I could. I usually, especially when camping, will cut the fat cap up and render it down into chicharrons which leaves me with some nice oil to cook my garlic and onions in. My wife and daughter are picky about the grease, so this time I took as much off as I could while cubing.

I chopped one yellow onion and about 7 cloves of garlic up and sautéed them in some olive oil. I added the cubed meat and browned slightly with some good sprinkles of Adobo. I like to add the bone for flavor. I added the entire jar of pulped Hatch Valley green chili (you can find this in a three pack at Sams Club or in a two pack of larger jars at Costco). A teaspoon of oregano, a tablespoon of salt, chicken broth, and small can of Mexican tomato sauce.

Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer for about 1.5-2 hours. This time I added two large russet potatoes cubed and let it go about another half hour. I put these potatoes in to make it nice and hardy, but most of the time I just use the pork alone.

Wife and I ate (sorry no pics) with a little sour cream and some healthy quesadillas.

Meat.jpg
meat on stove.jpg
meat in pot with bone.jpg
ingrediants.jpg
Beer.jpg

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Looks good , I have the same pot my grandma gave to mom , mom gave to me

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Neighbor made some last night and shared with me. It's what I had for breakfast! 🤗

It's no longer just for dinner.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
This is really good! It was a little salty, but the sour cream mellowed that out. Next time I'll cut the salt back back to 3/4 of a tablespoon.
It's hard to believe, but I couldn't find adobo spice anywhere, I used to see it everywhere. I finally found it at Spouts in bulk and had to buy it by the ounce. I did find a 1.8 lb bottle on Amazon for $9.00.

This will be in heavy rotation this winter - thanks for sharing.

Beerme

Reaction score
Looks good , I have the same pot my grandma gave to mom , mom gave to me
That is awesome! I had always loved my mothers and then she picked me up one in quartzsite. I love the thing. She ended up finding all four of us kids ones over the years 😁 Everything i've learned, at least about mexican food is from her.

Beerme

Reaction score
This is really good! It was a little salty, but the sour cream mellowed that out. Next time I'll cut the salt back back to 3/4 of a tablespoon.
It's hard to believe, but I couldn't find adobo spice anywhere, I used to see it everywhere. I finally found it at Spouts in bulk and had to buy it by the ounce. I did find a 1.8 lb bottle on Amazon for $9.00.

This will be in heavy rotation this winter - thanks for sharing.
I'm glad you tried it and liked it😁 You can really use the basic sauce with any meat. I like to use ground beef or turkey too! Next time i'll post the red sauce one. It 's my mom's recipe and you make it with toasted red chili de arbol. It more spicy, but that's generally how I like mine.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I'm glad you tried it and liked it😁 You can really use the basic sauce with any meat. I like to use ground beef or turkey too! Next time i'll post the red sauce one. It 's my mom's recipe and you make it with toasted red chili de arbol. It more spicy, but that's generally how I like mine.
I made my Mexican rice with this and it compliments it well.

Mexican Rice:
2 cups white rice
Olive oil
¾ of a large onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
2 cans chicken broth
1 small can tomato sauce
1 18 oz. jar Herdez salsa
coarse grind black pepper to taste.
Add a heavy tablespoon of olive oil to a deep skillet, let it warm up and add the chopped onions and sauté until almost translucent then all the chopped garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes the add the rice and mix for a couple of minutes. Then add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, jar of salsa - I use hot salsa for flavor, it’s the Black pepper that brings out the heat , just a couple of shakes.
Bring it to a boil then back off to simmer and cover the pan. Stir it up every 5 minutes or so so it doesn’t stick to the pan. As the liquid is absorbed you’ll have to stir it more often so it doesn’t stick and burn. From start to finish will be about 45 minutes. This is not a fluffy rice, it’s more of a sticky rice.
Enjoy.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Neighbor made some last night and shared with me. It's what I had for breakfast! 🤗

It's no longer just for dinner.
Thrown into scrambled eggs has been a favorite for years. I usually smoke the pork but this sounds interesting👍

I don't know what dock Wheeler has been living under :D, but green chili stew and eggs with hash browns is what's for breakfast... All the restaurants back home have it on their menus in the morning.

Last edited:

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I don't know what dock Wheeler has been living under :D, buy green chili stews and eggs with hash browns is what's for breakfast... All the restaurants back home have it on their menus in the morning.

It was a nice change from my daily canned breakfast. ;)

large_a450b3b5-fe97-426a-a313-f7fef829af86.jpg
f8e5f807fb89761c8e52c87c90c9db4a.jpg

Beerme

Reaction score
I made my Mexican rice with this and it compliments it well.

Mexican Rice:
2 cups white rice
Olive oil
¾ of a large onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
2 cans chicken broth
1 small can tomato sauce
1 18 oz. jar Herdez salsa
coarse grind black pepper to taste.
Add a heavy tablespoon of olive oil to a deep skillet, let it warm up and add the chopped onions and sauté until almost translucent then all the chopped garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes the add the rice and mix for a couple of minutes. Then add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, jar of salsa - I use hot salsa for flavor, it’s the Black pepper that brings out the heat , just a couple of shakes.
Bring it to a boil then back off to simmer and cover the pan. Stir it up every 5 minutes or so so it doesn’t stick to the pan. As the liquid is absorbed you’ll have to stir it more often so it doesn’t stick and burn. From start to finish will be about 45 minutes. This is not a fluffy rice, it’s more of a sticky rice.
Enjoy.
That right there is a great traditional mexican rice dish. I make mine (handed down from grandma) almost the same way but no salsa, but i can imagine how good it is as i always pile the salsa on top. My grandma also use to put in a teaspoon of granulated sugar as she said it helped balance the acid in the tomato sauce 👍 😁

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I had to bring this back to the top - with this cold weather this really hits the spot with my Mexican rice recipe.