WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

GT Performance Engines

Englewood

Reaction score
What is the overall consensus on GT Performance in Upland?

I spoke to Gary and got a quote on a 700hp engine (N/A Fuel Injected - 588ci). He seemed like a nice guy and knew what he was talking about...

I have 2 young kids so reliability is a MAJOR issue for me.

prosthogod

Reaction score

I spoke to Gary and got a quote on a 700hp engine (N/A Fuel Injected - 588ci). He seemed like a nice guy and knew what he was talking about...

Gary has a great reputation. He builds reliable horsepower. He also rigs boats very well. If I was in California I would use him. In Az, I use Larry.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have two buddies that have GT 540's in their boats. Both make good HP and run great.

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
I have two buddies that have GT 540's in their boats. Both make good HP and run great.

Same here... two buddies with GT power and no complaints.

I have no idea how their prices are compared to Teague, Pfaff, Boost Power, JMS, Barry etc.

Englewood

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks...

I was hoping for this kind of response.

robby dmax

Reaction score
Did you try and get a price from Teague on the N/A motor to compare?

Englewood

Reaction score
Did you try and get a price from Teague on the N/A motor to compare?

The response I got from them was that they do not make any engines in my price range. Boostpower had a similar response.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
:eek Huh ? QUOTE=RiverDave;2489023]I don't want to be a Debbie downer here.. but GT motors aren't exactly known for reliability.. Their more like a polish grenade. Ya know it's coming you just don't know when.[/QUOTE]

Richard.E

Reaction score
My friend didn't have the best experience wth them, but it's not my story to tell.

GT engines aren't reliable IMO, always needs to be worked on or rebuilt.

1manshow

Reaction score

I had that same set up as your talking about until I wanted more power and put a whipple on. Boat always ran with the 700 hp package....

Runs2rch

Reaction score
OP. You have a 525. Whipple and drive it nice. You have an XR right?

10 grand install it yourself.

82daytona

Reaction score
Call Teague! IMG_0261.jpg

Englewood

Reaction score
Curious what a Boostpower or Teague 800 goes for these days?

I think it was $58k last I checked for a Teague 825? I could be off a little bit but it was somewhere in the high 50's.

I would love a Teague motor but I'm not spending $60k to make my boat worth $10k more. I was told they have no engines in my price range ($35k)...Am I talking to the right person?

82daytona

Reaction score
I think it was $58k last I checked for a Teague 825? I could be off a little bit but it was somewhere in the high 50's.

I would love a Teague motor but I'm not spending $60k to make my boat worth $10k more. I was told they have no engines in my price range ($35k)...Am I talking to the right person?

There's lots of variables obviously. Call and talk to Eric. He can get you pointed in the right direction. [emoji1474]

Englewood

Reaction score
sd broker, what is the cost difference between a new GT 700HP & just adding a Whipple supercharger + plumbing + installation on your current 525EFI? I would assume a low-boost 525EFI would be in the 700HP range?

Here are the options...

Add a whipple for $20k (Out of pocket $20k)
Sell 525 and build a motor (or buy a 600/700sci) for $35k (out of pocket $15k)

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Curious what a Boostpower or Teague 800 goes for these days?

I lot,

Guessing current deal would be high 40"s low 50"s depending on where engine and rigging collide.

I have relationships and product from both, - and their respective service is absolutely superb.

UD

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Call Dave Ebbert of DNE Motorsports in Costa Mesa. 949-631-3781

Dave will build you a reliable engine, made specifically for your purpose and he'll stand behind it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Call Dave Ebbert of DNE Motorsports in Costa Mesa. 949-631-3781

Dave will build you a reliable engine, made specifically for your purpose and he'll stand behind it.

If for some reason Teague / Boostpower doesn't tickle your fancy Dave would probably be my next call. There's lots of smaller guys that are talented building as well (Obnoxious)

RD

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
Here are the options...

Add a whipple for $20k (Out of pocket $20k)
Sell 525 and build a motor (or buy a 600/700sci) for $35k (out of pocket $15k)

For the $5k more you mention I would do the WHIPPLE and have Teague(TCM) do the install.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Are you starting with no block or are you utilizing your existing motor? Those numbers sound steep.

I'm a little biased but I wouldn't rule out calling Larry Peto. He's been around boats, big and small, for years. He knows how to make horsepower. One of the nicest guys in the business and will be straight up with you about your budget.

GT, DNE, and Pfaff would be the others...

gmnhra

Reaction score
I don't want to be a Debbie downer here.. but GT motors aren't exactly known for reliability..

Their more like a polish grenade. Ya know it's coming you just don't know when.

The peanut gallery has spoken.....
Mine is personal experience with over ten years of using Gary and GT Performance.
Call me for direct, personal experience, not "my brothers friend said xxx about GT"....

Summary..great team to work with and my motors lasted as long as anything would, given my driving style and how long the sticks are pushed forward....

Give me a call anytime if you want my feedback on GT..

Gary M

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
I'm a little biased but I wouldn't rule out calling Larry Peto. He's been around boats, big and small, for years. He knows how to make horsepower. One of the nicest guys in the business and will be straight up with you about your budget.

Yep, Larry knows motors and builds them right.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to be the wet blanket here, but I do have a question. Whatever happened to the restrictions that CARB and the EPA put on the sale of new non-emissions compliant marine engines a few years ago? Supposedly, all new built engines had to be EPA and CARB emissions certified. As far as I know, only three engine makers -- Mercury, Ilmor and Teague are compliant for their high performance (over 500 hp) engines. If you buy and install a new non-approved engine, is this going to be a problem when you register the boat or try to resell it? I know that CARB and EPA are still sending out their compliance officers to boat shows checking engines for tags and stickers. Are the small independent engine builders just ignoring CARB and EPA regs and just hoping not to get caught?

boataholic

Reaction score

$60 K is a bit much if you ever contemplainting resale. Im sure the Teague name demands $$$$ on the resale market, but you would be hard pressed to find a buyer without losing your A.. on the deal. 28 decks with Ho are selling in the 70K RANGE PLUS THE MOTOR AT 60K. Not sure if you could ever part ways with it for over 100K. Nice boat by the way.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I don't want to be the wet blanket here, but I do have a question. Whatever happened to the restrictions that CARB and the EPA put on the sale of new non-emissions compliant marine engines a few years ago? Supposedly, all new built engines had to be EPA and CARB emissions certified. As far as I know, only three engine makers -- Mercury, Ilmor and Teague are compliant for their high performance (over 500 hp) engines. If you buy and install a new non-approved engine, is this going to be a problem when you register the boat or try to resell it? I know that CARB and EPA are still sending out their compliance officers to boat shows checking engines for tags and stickers. Are the small independent engine builders just ignoring CARB and EPA regs and just hoping not to get caught?

if im not mistaken, these regs are only for new builds and not repower on older hulls. I could be completely wrong here but that's the way I understood it.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

The registered owner is responsible for compliance, not the motor builder lol

The motor builder can build whatever you pay him to build. If you're paying for a compliant motor then they'll build you that. If not they'll build you something different.

The registered owner is the one who is responsible for making sure he is using the appropriate equipment.

race only is how the non-compliant motors are tagged when leaving the shop.

prosthogod

Reaction score
Peto engines. The maroon ones are mine , the others are Predators

Attachments

• iphone pics 065.jpg
    iphone pics 065.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 125
  • iphone pics 067.jpg
    iphone pics 067.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 127
  • iphone pics 069.jpg
    iphone pics 069.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 114
  • iphone pics 070.jpg
    iphone pics 070.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 132
  • iphone pics 071.jpg
    iphone pics 071.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 140

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
if im not mistaken, these regs are only for new builds and not repower on older hulls. I could be completely wrong here but that's the way I understood it.

Its based on the year of the engine. Yours was a rebuild so no issues. When you have a new ground up engine built its supposed to do meet these standards. As long as the block is old you're good one is how I understand it.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score

I believe Alexi is certified as well.

Peto engines. The maroon ones are mine , the others are Predators

Brummett does all of Predators engine work now.

prosthogod

Reaction score
I believe Alexi is certified as well.

Brummett does all of Predators engine work now.

Those engines were built by Larry and Brummit did the fuel work. I won't get into why Gary doesn't get his work done by Larry anymore;)

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Those engines were built by Larry and Brummit did the fuel work. I won't get into why Gary doesn't get his work done by Larry anymore;)
Originally you are right...Carson went through them last time around and did it all.

I don't know anything about Larry and why Gary doesn't use him anymore...none of my business.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Originally you are right...Carson went through them last time around and did it all.

I don't know anything about Larry and why Gary doesn't use him anymore...none of my business.

Originally? More like years. Carson and Predator are still in the honeymoon phase.

If you love something you set it free [emoji2]

Andy01

Reaction score
I think you can find something wrong with every engine builder if you talk to enough people.

I have done business with GT over the years and been happy with what I received. I've known several people that have done big builds with his shop. GT has rigged two DCB's for me, both turned out nice.

Truth is you will always hear from the squeaky wheel. People that get good work don't generally talk a whole lot about it. I have heard something bad about every engine builder mentioned in this thread except for Carson. I've meet everyone mentioned, except Carson. All run shops, with employees and all try to have a hands on approach with their clients. As big as Bob Teague is he is always chatting with clients at events. I talk boats all day long on the phone so I hear a lot of peoples stories.

I'd say find the best shop that YOU are comfortable doing business with, that stands behind their work and have the whipple done to your 525. Lots and lots of people have had great luck doing that to those engine packages over the years.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Originally? More like years. Carson and Predator are still in the honeymoon phase.

If you love something you set it free [emoji2]
Everyone knows Larry did Gary's stuff forever.

Here's the thing about Carson...he turns every nut and bolt on every engine he builds...he doesn't have a guy that does the long block, another guy that does heads. He does it all so there is no doubt that it was done the way it is supposed to be done. He build very conservatively so his engines last. He has spent better party of 50 years perfecting his craft and his reputation speaks for itself. I am sure Gary will be very happy with him going forward.

Carson may have an equal out there (I personally doubt it) but there is without a doubt no one better.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Race only engines are exempt from CARB and EPA regs. As for rebuilds, I need to go back and read the final draft that was approved. I recall that the rebuild issue was controversial at the time when we were doing the initial drafts. CARB was taking the position that an older engine (block) could be rebuilt, but it had to use the same specs (cam profile, piston style, compression, heads, etc.) as per the original engine manufacturer -- no modifications to enhance performance or possibly alter the emission characteristics/output. As for Boostpower, I would be interested to know if Alexi did complete the CARB and EPA approval process -- not seeing that mentioned on his website.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Everyone knows Larry did Gary's stuff forever.

Here's the thing about Carson...he turns every nut and bolt on every engine he builds...he doesn't have a guy that does the long block, another guy that does heads. He does it all so there is no doubt that it was done the way it is supposed to be done. He build very conservatively so his engines last. He has spent better party of 50 years perfecting his craft and his reputation speaks for itself. I am sure Gary will be very happy with him going forward.

Carson may have an equal out there (I personally doubt it) but there is without a doubt no one better.

Combined with the fact that Carson is one of the only guys with a dyno big enough to park and hold true big horsepower for minutes and minutes on end, not seconds, means he can really work on longevity, both mechanically, and in tuning.

I have seen him park a motor at 5,000+ making close to 1,500hp and just leave it sitting while he casually sips some iced tea, and then have a chit chat while the thing is is absolutely screaming on the other side of the glass. :p

"Don't you get nervous doing that?"
"Nah, I'd rather break it here than in the boat, easier to clean up the mess" :D

Not many Dynos around that can do what his does.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
A man who knows what he is talking about.

Shit makes a mess sometimes.

Combined with the fact that Carson is one of the only guys with a dyno big enough to park and hold true big horsepower for minutes and minutes on end, not seconds, means he can really work on longevity, both mechanically, and in tuning.

I have seen him park a motor at 5,000+ making close to 1,500hp and just leave it sitting while he casually sips some iced tea, and then have a chit chat while the thing is is absolutely screaming on the other side of the glass. :p

"Don't you get nervous doing that?"
"Nah, I'd rather break it here than in the boat, easier to clean up the mess" :D

Not many Dynos around that can do what his does.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think you can find something wrong with every engine builder if you talk to enough people.

I have done business with GT over the years and been happy with what I received. I've known several people that have done big builds with his shop. GT has rigged two DCB's for me, both turned out nice.

Truth is you will always hear from the squeaky wheel. People that get good work don't generally talk a whole lot about it. I have heard something bad about every engine builder mentioned in this thread except for Carson. I've meet everyone mentioned, except Carson. All run shops, with employees and all try to have a hands on approach with their clients. As big as Bob Teague is he is always chatting with clients at events. I talk boats all day long on the phone so I hear a lot of peoples stories.

I'd say find the best shop that YOU are comfortable doing business with, that stands behind their work and have the whipple done to your 525. Lots and lots of people have had great luck doing that to those engine packages over the years.

That's the best advice in the thread right there.. and when in doubt ask them if you get a free sea tow membership with purchase! :D

(Note, that was just general humor and in no way directed at or towards GT or any other engine builder specifically)

RD